Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 5

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭misshopeful1

If i was a betting woman... i'd put my money on Friday week, the 11th, for the results. Earlier would be class, but doubtful.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭galalala123

If i was a betting woman... i'd put my money on Friday week, the 11th, for the results. Earlier would be class, but doubtful.

But sure thats ridiculous timeframe to leave people know!!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BRB

First class were never going to get much time to be honest. 10 days would be my guess.... Maybe a little bit more(2/3 days) but not more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭wideasagate

What does the vetting actually entail?

I thought it was just the local station doing a quick check on all the family members (and you) on your form on the system and then a quick call to the named referees on the form as well to verify and support your application?
    I suppose if you live abroad its a call to the local station over there as well? Or does the vetting go through a few different parties - i.e not just your local station?

There is a garda vetting section in Thurles, I got in touch when them, they do the Irish vetting and it's up to the section handling recruitment to do any foreign vetting.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Hank26

There is pct on the 7th, consisting mainly of the Irish stream. I'd be surprised if any offers are out before then.

Hank26 wrote: »
    There is pct on the 7th, consisting mainly of the Irish stream. I'd be surprised if any offers are out before then.

No offense but i hope you're wrong lol. People have full time jobs that they need to give notice to and husbands, wives, kids that they need to prepare financially for going in!! But it wouldnt suprise me if it was that late

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

But sure thats ridiculous time frame to leave people know!!

If you are interested in becoming a Garda you might as well get used to being treated like **** by management and politicians. Their attitude to new recruits will be "take it or leave it. We have thousands outside the gate who will take your place". The good feeling of having the uniform will wear off fairly quickly when you are stationed hours journey from home, poor pay and constant demands on you. If anyone seriously believes that they are joining the Garda SIochana and will the pay and conditions of 5/10 years ago they are in for a big shock. See how you feel when you see the €350/400 a week you might reach. Try having a decent standard of living on that for a while. And please don't come back quoting overtime earnings will boost your income.

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    If you are interested in becoming a Garda you might as well get used to being treated like **** by management and politicians. Their attitude to new recruits will be "take it or leave it. We have thousands outside the gate who will take your place". The goof feeling of having the uniform will wear off fairly quickly when you are stationed hours journey from home, poor pay and constant demands on you. If anyone seriously believes that they are joining the Garda SIochana and will the pay and conditions of 5/10 years ago they are in for a big shock. The gloss will wear off soon enough when you see the €350/400 a week you might reach. Try having a decent standard of living on that for a while

im already working in the public sector working for the same wage and im well used to the gloss of the uniform etc thanks for the advice though

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭thedirtydevil

No offense but i hope you're wrong lol. People have full time jobs that they need to give notice to and husbands, wives, kids that they need to prepare financially for going in!! But it wouldnt suprise me if it was that late

There is a PCT on the 8th July as well. People whose dates were changed following the cancelling of last Thursday were offered the 8th as an alternative (and last Friday).

There is a PCT on the 8th July as well. People whose dates were changed following the cancelling of last Thursday were offered the 8th as an alternative (and last Friday).

But they are doing a lot more PCT's than what they are looking for for the first group

• Advertisement

The competition is almost seven months old and along with the recruitment freeze most potential candidates should be financially prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭r_k.com

But they are doing a lot more PCT's than what they are looking for for the first group

Because alot of people will not have their background checks back until middle of July and later even therfore their place will be offered to others who have theirs back and cleared. I'm not saying it's fair but they need to have themselves covered and 104 in Templemore by July 21st

im already working in the public sector working for the same wage and im well used to the gloss of the uniform etc thanks for the advice though

I'm the same, and sick to my teeth of people critising my decision to change. Nothing to stop anyone changing jobs in the future if they aren't happy

The competition is almost seven months old and along with the recruitment freeze most potential candidates should be financially prepared.

Not if you have a mortgage and kids. Not everyone in the conpetition is under 25 single and living at home!!

Not if you have a mortgage and kids. Not everyone in the conpetition is under 25 single and living at home!!

I'm not trying to start an argument, but I'm over 26 with a Dublin mortgage and planning for this for 5 years. I'm not a reserve but I bet they also have been preparing for a long time for this.

I'm not trying to start an argument, but I'm over 26 with a Dublin mortgage and planning for this for 5 years. I'm not a reserve but I bet they also have been preparing for a long time for this.

I'm not either fair play to you but it's hard to plan out money wise taking loans out to pay mortgage etc when you dont know what date you're going in. I'd prefer to be able to plan 3 or 4 weeks ahead but i know thats not going to be the way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭djor88

What's the point of bringing up wages/salary now at this stage? If people are still in it, you can be fairly certain they want it regardless and they can deal with the wages. No point in being negative and bitter.

I'm in the boat myself where when I'm offered and start, I'll be taking a cut of at least €6,000 a year to start with, but I can deal with this. The job is what I want, true, I'd rather a few extra bob and I do feel it's a very unfair unjust wage to pay a police officer, but it's something that has to be taken if we want this job.

The wages will go up each year as we progress, and with allowances etc it will be boosted (a little), we'll never be rich, but we won't starve either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭talla10

Lads this is the guards you're joining its not a highly efficient smooth running machine and if management dont give a damn about current members believe me when i say all you are to them are numbers not people with families, mortgages, existing jobs etc.

Back when i joined some boys did the PCT on thursday/friday of one week and were then told to report for training in Templemore on the monday. I also heard of several lads doing their PCT's in the first week of phase 1 and if they passed they were just added to the phase and given a room. Nothing would surprise me so please dont be alarmed if offers dont come till very last second or later.

With regards to the pay its a huge difference from your contracts to ours.Rent allowance (€80 a week) is gone for ye plus if any of you get stationed in Gaeltacht regions your're not entitled to 7.5% allowance. Sub rates have been cut 25% plus a number of other allowances have gone along with pay reductions over the last few years. Its a different contract of pay and pension is calculated differently so please do your maths before signing on the dotted line.

Don't mean to annoy any of you or bring you down but thats the reality! Best of luck to ye all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ShodenMcClane

talla10 wrote: »
    Lads this is the guards you're joining its not a highly efficient smooth running machine and if management dont give a damn about current members believe me when i say all you are to them are numbers not people with families, mortgages, existing jobs etc.

Thank you for your very good and interesting post, however, I would say the above quote could be said about every large organisation in the world - ever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

I for one have ran out of all patience - almost! (I know how the navy blue machine works)
    Im on edge and wanting my reward :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭fitzzbill

People will have to wait at least another 10 days I'd say for any info to come out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭djor88

Yeah - we were given a fairly solid idea after the medicals that notifications will be around 10/11th July

Theres more people being called for stage 3 apparently, the next 600 after us

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭octigen

WilcoOut wrote: »
    Theres more people being called for stage 3 apparently, the next 600 after us

Good to see it moving forward! If they only taking the 600 agains its a long way back for Stage 1 Band's 2&3

octigen wrote: »
    Good to see it moving forward! If they only taking the 600 agains its a long way back for Stage 1 Band's 2&3

True but atleast its moving forward!

• Advertisement

I'm placed early to mid 200s so I'm just hoping they don't leap frog me before I get in the door in October/January.

I'm placed early to mid 200s so I'm just hoping they don't leap frog me before I get in the door in October/January.

Surely they'll have them on a different panel that'll just come into effect when we're all used up. Otherwise that's a travesty!

Surely they'll have them on a different panel that'll just come into effect when we're all used up. Otherwise that's a travesty!

I hope you're right but who knows?

I hope you're right but who knows?

Sure by then you'll be thru the medical, physical and vetting and be all set to go! Like the first group they'll just take in a group when they get the 100 or whatever number they want so your sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Blaireness

Oh god, I just want this month to hurry up and find out if I'm in!!!

• Advertisement

Not a hope Shoden. Ur safe as houses and streets ahead of em

have u done medical?

Have you done PCT?

WilcoOut wrote: »
    Not a hope Shoden. Ur safe as houses and streets ahead of em

have u done medical?

Have you done PCT?

Thanks, and I hope you're right.

Nope, I've met the Sgt and Super but no date for medical yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭thedirtydevil

No chance shoden. We all have a number on the order of merit and once your vetting etc is done then that order comes into play. Pretty much (depending on who fails) everyone in the first 210 or so will be in by October. The rest of those (around another 20 or so) will be top of the list for next intake. I see it as positive confirmation there will also be an early 2015 intake now. The new group testing in end july, suspect interviews late august ready for Jan/Feb intake.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

Cannot wait to get started - apparently all the fails at fitness stage are holding things up!

thats why the 7th and 8th are being counted on so that they may fill the first class

or so the rumour goes

Edit from here

A personal calculation

250 roughly got through to interview

There have been a sizable amount of dropouts and deferral requests post interview (anecdotal evidence)

If you add in failures at medical, fitness (which has been high and I personally witnessed) and vetting - you can see how the pool has dwindled

The lower end of the order of merit 180plus have to be pulled in for medical and fitness and theres the delay with this

Based on that, and knowing how all things AGS work, I would suspect that the class will be put back to august in order to rectify these issues

Just my own personal opinion.

Rang HR there. Spoke to a lovely lady who said we can relax till next week, still waiting on vetting for most people!

Scouser wrote: »
    Cannot wait to get started - apparently all the fails at fitness stage are holding things up!

thats why the 7th and 8th are being counted on so that they may fill the first class

or so the rumour goes

Did you or anyone ring HRM to ask if your vetting is back? I was told after medical that they could tell you if it was back or not but wouldn't give any other details? Surprised that there are people failing the PCT alright though they have ran 4 sessions of 40 people so surely they have required number of 105, Only 2 failed the first half of the day I was there.

Rang HR there. Spoke to a lovely lady who said we can relax till next week, still waiting on vetting for most people!

Could she tell you if yours was back or not?

I rang there, she gave me the impression July 21st has been pushed back a bit now

octigen wrote: »
    Could she tell you if yours was back or not?

No, she asked my name and went to check something but didn't tell me anything more then. I lived abroad so I suspect my vetting isn't back!

I rang there, she gave me the impression July 21st has been pushed back a bit now

yup I thought as much

• Advertisement

Just wondering, will we be informed that we passed all parts of stage 5 and placed on a new order of merit, excluding drop outs and failures or will they just offer places for the July intake. Thus, leaving those possibly for October in limbo.
    What do ye think?

Just wondering, will we be informed that we passed all parts of stage 5 and placed on a new order of merit, excluding drop outs and failures or will they just offer places for the July intake. Thus, leaving those possibly for October in limbo.
    What do ye think?

how can they give you a new order of merit based on something that is pass or fail?

did you score a healthier medical than me?

did you do the 25pushups better than me?

order of merit from interview remains. if somebody above you drops out - congrats, you move up one place

If you remain outside the remaining top 100 - you will be in the october class, if your in the next 100

No limbo at all

how can they give you a new order of merit based on something that is pass or fail?

did you score a healthier medical than me?

did you do the 25pushups better than me?

order of merit from interview remains. if somebody above you drops out - congrats, you move up one place

If you remain outside the remaining top 100 - you will be in the october class, if your in the next 100

No limbo at all

I think he meant now that people are failing your order of merit will increase e.g. let's say 30 people fail and you were 150 now you would be 120.

r_k.com wrote: »
    I think he meant now that people are failing your order of merit will increase e.g. let's say 30 people fail and you were 150 now you would be 120.

of course

i though he was asking would they redo the whole lot!

could ya imagine........ :eek:

of course

could ya imagine........ :eek:

Another 7 months of our lives stuck in limbo. I dunno if I could do it to myself. The stress.

:eek:

No not at all, for someone that is outside the top 100, will I be at least told that I have fully passed stage 5 (vetting)

No not at all, for someone that is outside the top 100, will I be at least told that I have fully passed stage 5 (vetting)

of course

you wont get a job offer......

loud and clear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

Ah lads, dont tell me the start date is gona be pushed back!! Ive already handed in my notice!!!!

Guess i better make some travel plans as a plan b....

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭jrobertos

I was told early August when I met the super

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭20times

I was told 21st July again by HRM yest!

Advertisement