Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 5

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BRB

I did my PCT on June 27th. I think that was day 3 of PCTs. How many were in the first two groups? I wonder how many are in Tomorrow and Tuesday's groups? I am placed in the low 130s, trying to figure out my chances of making the first intake in July between all the fails and deferrals. Plus the fact that i'm a woman and we're quite out-numbered! :-P The wait is such a killer. 'Mon HRM... put us out of our misery soon please! :-)

I'd say you stand a good chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ann.lewis

Carroller wrote: »
    I may have done ligaments in my knee playing football today, but that is a strong maybe. Need a scan on Monday to see what the damage is! I would be physically sick If I had to do the whole drive again in 3-5 years times

How's the knee Carroller ? Any weight bearing yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 nios89

Ladies, question about the push ups on the knees- do they insist on you having your feet up in the air or can they be on the ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭misshopeful1

nios89 wrote: »
    Ladies, question about the push ups on the knees- do they insist on you having your feet up in the air or can they be on the ground?

I had mine bent and crossed behind me. The lady instructor demonstrated them just bent, but not crossed. Having them on the ground would make them too easy, i imagine. Bending the knee forces all the weight forward more on to the arms. Hope that helps. Best of luck! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Hi lads it's only early days for me yet but I'm wondering for interview stage did many of you consult a professional for preparing?
    Would anyone recommend a certain one(via pm obviously) ?
    Thank you

I had mine bent and crossed behind me. The lady instructor demonstrated them just bent, but not crossed. Having them on the ground would make them too easy, i imagine. Bending the knee forces all the weight forward more on to the arms. Hope that helps. Best of luck! :-)

Ok! Wishful thinking so! Thanks a mil : )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Carroller

ann.lewis wrote: »
    How's the knee Carroller ? Any weight bearing yet ?

Not much change really, gonna try for a scan tomorrow. I'd be able to stand without crutches bearing weight for a short time but can't straighten my leg. So a waiting game for now like the rest of the process....

D Trent wrote: »
    Hi lads it's only early days for me yet but I'm wondering for interview stage did many of you consult a professional for preparing?
    Would anyone recommend a certain one(via pm obviously) ?
    Thank you

Where abouts are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

nios89 wrote: »
    Where abouts are you?

Galway but I'd be willing to travel.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭galalala123

Not much change really, gonna try for a scan tomorrow. I'd be able to stand without crutches bearing weight for a short time but can't straighten my leg. So a waiting game for now like the rest of the process....

Disaster. And are you in the top 100? Theyll surely accomodate you if you have to defer

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭wideasagate

Carroller I wouldn't tell them the real reason for a deferral. You've passed the medical so you don't wanna have to get put out cause of your knee now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Carroller

I'm not getting too far ahead of myself yet might heal up or not as serious as I'm expecting, top 100 though but we'll wait and see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Blaireness

I'm not getting too far ahead of myself yet might heal up or not as serious as I'm expecting, top 100 though but we'll wait and see what happens

Fingers crossed it'll all be fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ann.lewis

Hopefully you'll get good news tomorrow at your scan. Maybe its something not so serious and a weeks rest will do wonders for you.

Let us know how you go, won't you

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭wobzilla1

I hope to god I make it into the October group.
    My notice is up this Friday and I don't think I can stay on the dole until January.

• Advertisement

Good luck to everyone doing physicals in the next two days, ye are nearly there now! Still waiting for medical so jealous of ye!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

Another week

the panel holds its breath........

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

hopefully not long left...... wednesday after PCT's?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭octigen

Scouser wrote: »
    hopefully not long left...... wednesday after PCT's?

They'l only have results given in Tuesday evening to HRM and will be processing them then on Wednesday. Can see Thursday being the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭wideasagate

octigen wrote: »
    They'l only have results given in Tuesday evening to HRM and will be processing them then on Wednesday. Can see Thursday being the earliest.

I rang HR this morn and was told the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Did the PCT today. Passed.

A word of warning re the beep test; a few people said, and I found it to be the same that the air was very dry, which does really sap the energy out of you as it dries out your mouth and throat. So if you're practicing, try practice in a P.E. hall to simulate the experience exactly. The timber, as expected, was pleasant to run on.

Good luck to all tomorrow. Anyone worried about the push/pull, don't be - everyone passed.

Rothmans wrote: »
    Did the PCT today. Passed.

A word of warning re the beep test; a few people said, and I found it to be the same that the air was very dry, which does really sap the energy out of you as it dries out your mouth and throat. So if you're practicing, try practice in a P.E. hall to simulate the experience exactly. The timber, as expected, was pleasant to run on.

Good luck to all tomorrow. Anyone worried about the push/pull, don't be - everyone passed.

Congrats mate!

I rang HR this morn and was told the same

Think ill hibernate till then

• Registered Users Posts: 38 babybell

I'm in the same boat passed my PCT today nd can't wait to start assuming my vetting is ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Well done to ye both!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭misshopeful1

babybell wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat passed my PCT today nd can't wait to start assuming my vetting is ok

Well done! :-) What was the ratio of women : men there today? And how many people were there overall? There was only 29 of us there on the day i did it.

Did everyone pass the PCT today or were there a few failures

Well done! :-) What was the ratio of women : men there today? And how many people were there overall? There was only 29 of us there on the day i did it.

The ratio was actually pretty high. About 25-30%, which is higher than I had seen at any other stage.
    I think there were about 38/39 there today.

Interestingly enough, we weren't actually told our push-pull scores. We were just told 'well done, you passed' or somesuch.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 babybell

Bout 30 there with maybe a third being girls. I think 2 maybe 3 failed on something

Did everyone pass the PCT today or were there a few failures

Everyone passed the PCT. However, not everyone passed the fitness/muscle endurance unfortunately (about 4 or 5 fell down here, which is pretty much in line with the failure rate to date).

But you do both the fitness/endurance and the PCT regardless of whether you fail one element of the test, as you will be invited back to repeat the failed part at a later date.

• Advertisement

Rothmans wrote: »
    Everyone passed the PCT. However, not everyone passed the fitness/muscle endurance unfortunately (about 4 or 5 fell down here, which is pretty much in line with the failure rate to date).

But you do both the fitness/endurance and the PCT regardless of whether you fail one element of the test, as you will be invited back to repeat the failed part at a later date.

Thats a disaster for those people but at least they will get a chance to repeat it!! Seems like 3 or 4 have failed in every group!!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭hopeful8

Congrads to those of you passing the physicals. I can tell ye that it is bein said that there will be no starts until September now. The reason being given is because under European labour laws they have to giv recruits a months notice, it was rumoured at work at the weekend and a fitness instructor from the college said it to me today.

hopeful8 wrote: »
    Congrads to those of you passing the physicals. I can tell ye that it is bein said that there will be no starts until September now. The reason being given is because under European labour laws they have to giv recruits a months notice, it was rumoured at work at the weekend and a fitness instructor from the college said it to me today.

Yeah, I heard that too. Didn't want to say it and get people panicking here.
    I rang HR and asked was the first intake still going to be in July and I was told that they honestly weren't sure any more.
    So yeah, it's looking like September now, which I think is preferable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭Shifty13

Ah here, thats a joke!

Id be more than happy to start July.

So if September is the start date for the first class, would October be the second class or do you think they would push it to November?

However, government has promised July start dates over and over again. Im sure we'll be let know soon

What they're saying is they're hoping to get more in before Christmas. Can't imagine how frustrating it must be for ye, but ye can be sure that if it's September for the first bunch, it's always exactly 3 months thereafter for the next group and so on.

Actually, i wont believe it till i see the legislation on it.

I'm trying to find it. anybody else looking???

Shifty13 wrote: »
    Actually, i wont believe it till i see the legislation on it.

I'm trying to find it. anybody else looking???

I didn't hear anything about legislation myself, just that the first intake realistically wouldn't be in until September.

Get out of town!

Spoofer of the highest order

• Advertisement

WilcoOut wrote: »
    Get out of town!

Spoofer of the highest order

It is a spoof.

I was nearly laughed off the phone by citizens information. there is no State(irish) or EU law that says there needs to be a minimum notice prior to employment by a private of public body.

As the lady put it "Sure you have to hire people when they are needed."

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭r_k.com

It is a spoof.

I was nearly laughed off the phone by citizens information. there is no State(irish) or EU law that says there needs to be a minimum notice prior to employment by a private of public body.

Stop I'm weak I can imagine the laugh. Well maybe she meant from the health, safety and welfare at work act Both employees and employers are obliged to give notice in the case of termination of employment. It could look bad for the guards if they are forcing recruits to leave jobs with little to no notice. I had my physical today (I passed :)) and I was told the same its going to be September before anyone is in.

It is a spoof.

Ah cant believe you even bothered picking up the phone!!

Hopeful8 is spewing scutter

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭octigen

Ah cant believe you even bothered picking up the phone!!

Hopeful8 is spewing scutter

Rothmanns and R.K seem to be saying the same. Must be some truth in it. Would think 21st is unlikely by now anyway.

octigen wrote: »
    Rothmanns and R.K seem to be saying the same. Must be some truth in it. Would think 21st is unlikely by now anyway.

Ill drop my job right now if they wish, id be happy to

months notice, EU law - priceless!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mickaleen

Where was this act when they were giving previous candidates 4 days notice that they were going in? Plenty of people have said on here that they often only give a weeks notice. Until something concrete comes from HRM or wherever then I wouldn't believe it.

• Advertisement

Ill drop my job right now if they wish, id be happy to

months notice, EU law - priceless!

Yeah, but the impression that I got was that the college wouldn't be ready (due to the lack of immediate availability of instructors) until September. So if you're ready to roll now, it won't be any good to you if the rest of Templemore isn't :P

Also, vetting may be another consideration which is holding things up.

Lads ye can believe all ye want, including the fact staff aren't ready. The sergeants were picked last week, one is a well known tv personality who has already transferred to the college, the guards going in are finding out Friday so the staff are more than ready. By EU labour laws maybe it's because people in certain jobs are legally obliged to give their employers a months notice. I'm giving it to ye straight from the college staff, make of it what ye will.

I wouldnt be suprised. I asked HR the other day if the intake date was the same and he said at the moment and was very sheepish about it after that!! The whole lack of info is an absolute joke. They could just come out and inform us whats happening!!

I wouldnt be suprised. I asked HR the other day if the intake date was the same and he said at the moment and was very sheepish about it after that!! The whole lack of info is an absolute joke. They could just come out and inform us whats happening!!

I can tell you from personal experience that I did my physical on a Thursday and asked to start the following Tuesday. For some reason that's not the case now.

I can tell you from personal experience that I did my physical on a Thursday and asked to start the following Tuesday. For some reason that's not the case now.

Ive heard of a few people that were in the same boat before aswell! Are you a garda already?

• Advertisement
Advertisement