Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 5

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Eireannach01

Excellent. Very well done! Haha!!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Eireannach01

mickaleen wrote: »
    Apology accepted. Best of luck to you also. We can have a pint in Polly's if we get into the first intake.

Sounds good. It will be a well deserved pint. It has been a long campaign. It would seem you are in with a good chance having been called up at such short notice. Did the medical go well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Sounds good. It will be a well deserved pint. It has been a long campaign. It would seem you are in with a good chance having been called up at such short notice. Did the medical go well?

That it has. And hopefully (for the first intake at least) it'll be concluded within the next ten days, or even the next week if we're lucky.

Nobody can ever blame PAS or AGS for not being thorough enough in their applicant selection methods anyway :pac: I've never been through such an exhaustive and intense application process in my life. But overall it's probably a good thing, especially given that it is a career that we'll be in for the rest of our lives!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mickaleen

Yeah the medical was fine. Wasn't concerned by it, I knew I was in good order. The physical test should be ok also, twill just depend on de body on the day. Hopefully I'll get thru it ok. I'd imagine people will receive word from hrm
    At the end of next week. I was told they are trying to get a class in for the first week in September but you know yourself, July was the original date.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭wideasagate

Hey lads, what's the story now? When and how long for are physicals starting? I heard Sept 4th for starting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

Hey lads, what's the story now? When and how long for are physicals starting? I heard Sept 4th for starting!

Odd to be starting on a thursday....

WilcoOut wrote: »
    Odd to be starting on a thursday....

Maybe the 4th is wrong but that week anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭teaisgreat

Maybe the 4th is wrong but that week anyway

Had my medical today, was told likely to have induction week the 2nd week of sept and starting the week after. She couldn't say definite though.

Also if anyone's interested, it's a 3 month deferral for failing the physical with just one repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Dongaz

Sgts are going into college on the 2/9. Word is in college that start date is now 8/9.

• Advertisement

Dongaz wrote: »
    Sgts are going into college on the 2/9. Word is in college that start date is now 8/9.

Actually, alot of the sgts are starting next week

Was told the other day recruits be starting first week in September.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

That's what the media reported over the last couple of weeks - 'early September'.

Whenever someones says 'early' next week/month/year I always rule out the very start so I had it in my head it would be the 8th.

I'd imagine we'll get our offers during the week ending the 8th of August.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭misshopeful1

Tomorrow marks a month since I did my fitness test. You'd imagine it would be easier to give us, in the first batch of 160ish that they tested, our offers so that they would know exactly how many places they're short for the first intake and go from there with the others that are currently going through their medicals and fitness tests. The people doing their fitness test on Monday will likely only have to wait a couple of days for their offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭octigen

Tomorrow marks a month since I did my fitness test. You'd imagine it would be easier to give us, in the first batch of 160ish that they tested, our offers so that they would know exactly how many places they're short for the first intake and go from there with the others that are currently going through their medicals and fitness tests. The people doing their fitness test on Monday will likely only have to wait a couple of days for their offers.

Down to vetting again I would say. You might be No 80 today on order of merit of people who's vetting is cleared but by this day next week you may be pushed back down to 100+. I would think now they have a cut off day for vetting, probably next wednesday/thursday and will send out invites next Friday thus giving everyone ample notice and also sticking to the order of merit as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭20times

Vetting shouldn't be taking this long. They've had since our interviews. It's fairly basic.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

20times wrote: »
    Vetting shouldn't be taking this long. They've had since our interviews. It's fairly basic.

vetting is done lcoally - so if your beside a busy station or under resourced station - yes vetting will take long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭higglepiggle

20times wrote: »

Agreed, its coming near 3 months since some of us had interviews!

That's what the media reported over the last couple of weeks - 'early September'.

Whenever someones says 'early' next week/month/year I always rule out the very start so I had it in my head it would be the 8th.

I'd imagine we'll get our offers during the week ending the 8th of August.

I hope we get it before the bank holiday weekend tbh. I cant think of any reason that it'll be delayed beyond the week ending 01/08.

I'd have a sneaking suspicion that the vetting of those that they invited back for medical and physical has already cleared, which means HRM can make offers to these folks once they pass medical and physical.

From what I've been hearing, by all accounts, its the high fail rate at medical and physical that's holding things up, as opposed to vetting. Most people's vetting seems to have come back.

So this is why I think we'll hear fairly soon after Monday - the vetting is pretty much done and dusted for the majority of us, its just that so many failed at medical and physical so they have to invite more to do medical and physical. Therefore, we should know fairly soon after the physical on Monday, as HRM should have all the info they need to make offers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭20times

Scouser wrote: »
    vetting is done lcoally - so if your beside a busy station or under resourced station - yes vetting will take long

And they were given circa 10 days to get it back to HQ!

I can see where your coming from but the other side of that is we have had to wait a long time to be called for Medicals and Physicals. Anyways, by the sounds of things the other day everyone wont have too long more to wait for the first offers to the sent out. Best of luck.

Even if vetting is cleared and returned on a local level, each vetting form needs to be looked into and cleared by the commissioner so even if the vetting forms are back, they may not hve been cleared yet. This was explained to me by HRM yesterday.

teaisgreat wrote: »
    Even if vetting is cleared and returned on a local level, each vetting form needs to be looked into and cleared by the commissioner so even if the vetting forms are back, they may not hve been cleared yet. This was explained to me by HRM yesterday.

Any mention of start date?

WilcoOut wrote: »
    Any mention of start date?
    HRM told me first week in Sept. I was up there last Tuesday. No specific date though.

Lads vetting is done in Thurles by the unit callled the VETTING unit. The local Sgt. Has a look but thurles has the final say, I had numerous big long chats with thurles over my vetting from living abroad which the local Sgt had nothing to do with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭galalala123

Rothmans wrote: »
    I hope we get it before the bank holiday weekend tbh. I cant think of any reason that it'll be delayed beyond the week ending 01/08.

I'd have a sneaking suspicion that the vetting of those that they invited back for medical and physical has already cleared, which means HRM can make offers to these folks once they pass medical and physical.

From what I've been hearing, by all accounts, its the high fail rate at medical and physical that's holding things up, as opposed to vetting. Most people's vetting seems to have come back.

So this is why I think we'll hear fairly soon after Monday - the vetting is pretty much done and dusted for the majority of us, its just that so many failed at medical and physical so they have to invite more to do medical and physical. Therefore, we should know fairly soon after the physical on Monday, as HRM should have all the info they need to make offers.

I doubt that they have all of their vetting completed and they'd be offered before us. Im pretty sure they just brought whatever was left of the first batch to medical and fitness thats all. Hopefully we'll know next week!!

I doubt that they have all of their vetting completed and they'd be offered before us. Im pretty sure they just brought whatever was left of the first batch to medical and fitness thats all. Hopefully we'll know next week!!

What I've heard from lads that went in for medical on Tuesday is that they are having a numbers issue due to the high fail rate. It could be misinformation by HR, but I highly doubt it. Especially when you consider that the remaining bunch of people weren't meant to be called until the end of August. And they're not going to get offered places 'before us' so to speak. They will, however, be offered places ahead of people who failed medical/physical (regardless of the order of merit). However, we were already aware of this to be fair.

Also, I think the they would most likely have gotten their vetting back. Why were some of the remaining batch invited to medical/physical while others weren't?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭galalala123

What I've heard from lads that went in for medical on Tuesday is that they are having a numbers issue due to the high fail rate. It could be misinformation by HR, but I highly doubt it. Especially when you consider that the remaining bunch of people weren't meant to be called until the end of August. And they're not going to get offered places 'before us' so to speak. They will, however, be offered places ahead of people who failed medical/physical (regardless of the order of merit). However, we were already aware of this to be fair.

Also, I think the they would most likely have gotten their vetting back. Why were some of the remaining batch invited to medical/physical while others weren't?

Were they not all called for medicals?? Ya you could be right i thought you were saying that these people would be offered before people who have theirs done ages ago

The only reason I can think of is that they wish to give people a month's notice and if the start date turns out to be 8th of Sept then they will aim for any day up to the 8th of August which happens to be a Friday.

I'm not stressing over it though. It'll come when it comes. Not going to drive myself up the walls expecting it more than a month before the expected start date. As long as I've the month's notice I'll be happy enough.

Were they not all called for medicals?? Ya you could be right i thought you were saying that these people would be offered before people who have theirs done ages ago

Sure all we can do is wait and see now. At least it's not like the time we were waiting on interview results. That was a killer!
    The only reason I can think of is that they wish to give people a month's notice and if the start date turns out to be 8th of Sept then they will aim for any day up to the 8th of August which happens to be a Friday.

I'm not stressing over it though. It'll come when it comes. Not going to drive myself up the walls expecting it more than a month before the expected start date. As long as I've the month's notice I'll be happy enough.

I see what you mean alright. That'd mean that Friday the 8th would be the absolute last date that they could notify us on, but I doubt they'd leave us hanging that long :pac:

• Advertisement

Why on earth do you doubt that? :pac:

Why on earth do you doubt that? :pac:

Ah haha it'd just be nice to know by the end of next week is all. I'd imagine, given that we were meant to be starting in Templemore 4 days ago, that they'll have most of the leg work done and it'll just be a matter of sending out the offers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25 nios89

Was told by hrm that they expect to notify people the 2nd wk of august with an induction week the 2nd wk of sept to start the following wk. Not set in stone obviously but thats the latest.

With regards to vetting they can tell you if its back but will never/can never tell you if its cleared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭higglepiggle

Lads vetting is done in Thurles by the unit callled the VETTING unit. The local Sgt. Has a look but thurles has the final say, I had numerous big long chats with thurles over my vetting from living abroad which the local Sgt had nothing to do with

Had you any luck in talking to them? I've lived abroad as well and am thinking it will hold my vetting up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ShodenMcClane

Had you any luck in talking to them? I've lived abroad as well and am thinking it will hold my vetting up!

I'd say it's definitely holding mine up too. Multiple addresses and jobs in both New Zealand and Australia. Haven't even got called for a medical yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭misshopeful1

nios89 wrote: »
    Was told by hrm that they expect to notify people the 2nd wk of august with an induction week the 2nd wk of sept to start the following wk. Not set in stone obviously but thats the latest.

I was really hoping we would get our offers by the end of next week at the latest. I'm sure you're lovely, but your update has kinda enraged me! :-P The wait is not getting any easier ;-)

I'd say it's definitely holding mine up too. Multiple addresses and jobs in both New Zealand and Australia. Haven't even got called for a medical yet.

Yeah, they wouldnt take any help off me, I was going to embassy's and getting them police certs but they wouldnt take it. Vetting is done last, it wasnt complete till long after I did my medical and physical

Couple of quick questions for people who have already completed their Physical test.

How much of a time ( approx ) gap is there between completion of the beep test and the start of the press ups?

Same question regarding completion of the press ups and the start of the sit ups?

How long a break do you get til you start the obstacle course then?
    Finally, once the obstacle course in completed is it straight in for the push pull then?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭fitzzbill

And to think after this long of a wait months and months of tests they could still technically just refuse you

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭r_k.com

Couple of quick questions for people who have already completed their Physical test.

How much of a time ( approx ) gap is there between completion of the beep test and the start of the press ups?

Same question regarding completion of the press ups and the start of the sit ups?

How long a break do you get til you start the obstacle course then?
    Finally, once the obstacle course in completed is it straight in for the push pull then?

Thanks in advance.

They break you up into about 4 groups (oldest first) my advice if you are in the first group don't do the full warm up cause it's straight into the beep test. I'd your in the second group you have a chance to catch your breath.
    After you do the bleep you have about 15 mins then you start with sit ups then straight away you have push ups.
    Then you will have lunch for 2 hours and they will start calling you group by group for the obstacle course. The push pull is immediately afterwards you won't have time to catch your breath before you up on the machine.

• Advertisement

r_k.com wrote: »
    They break you up into about 4 groups (oldest first) my advice if you are in the first group don't do the full warm up cause it's straight into the beep test. I'd your in the second group you have a chance to catch your breath.
    After you do the bleep you have about 15 mins then you start with sit ups then straight away you have push ups.
    Then you will have lunch for 2 hours and they will start calling you group by group for the obstacle course. The push pull is immediately afterwards you won't have time to catch your breath before you up on the machine.
    Thanks for that. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭r_k.com

Thanks for that. Much appreciated.

No problem best of luck with it.

I think I have it all under control, just down to how the body is when I wake up Monday morning. Hopefully all will go well, for everyone, and HRM start distributing the offers soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 nios89

I was really hoping we would get our offers by the end of next week at the latest. I'm sure you're lovely, but your update has kinda enraged me! :-P The wait is not getting any easier ;-)

Hah ya i like to think that im lovely! :P sure just tell yourself it'll be august and if its sooner then fantastic! And you've passed everything so sooner or later you'll be on the road to templemore, I still have to do my physical!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Chem Lord

Does anyone know if order of merit will be used when they are offering places over the coming weeks? For example, if a person who placed 120 did his/her pct a week before a person who did his/her's and placed 80. Does the person at 80 still get offered a place before the person who placed 120?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭Shifty13

Chem Lord wrote: »
    Does anyone know if order of merit will be used when they are offering places over the coming weeks? For example, if a person who placed 120 did his/her pct a week before a person who did his/her's and placed 80. Does the person at 80 still get offered a place before the person who placed 120?

Yes!

nios89 wrote: »

With regards to vetting they can tell you if its back but will never/can never tell you if its cleared.

I think they were just saying this to you to be safe tbh. That's up to 3 weeks away. Also, it they notify us in the second week in August (i.e. week ending 15/08), then the start date realistically won't be early September as promised, it'll be 15 September. Perhaps it'll only be a worst case scenario that it'll be the second week in August.

Oh yes I'd imagine so. Have you a physical coming up?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Chem Lord

Oh yes I'd imagine so. Have you a physical coming up?

I was deferred for six weeks because of my eyes and I just got a call this afternoon from hq to say that I was passed medically fit :) I'm hoping I get a date soon for my pct next week.

• Advertisement

I was deferred for six weeks because of my eyes and I just got a call this afternoon from hq to say that I was passed medically fit :) I'm hoping I get a date soon for my pct next week.

That's great news. I remember you saying that you wouldn't make the first intake due to your eyes. How wrong you were haha.

Sure let us know what date you get for your physical. As far as we are aware, there is only one date for the physical - this coming Monday.

Advertisement