Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 5

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Chem Lord

Rothmans wrote: »
    That's great news. I remember you saying that you wouldn't make the first intake due to your eyes. How wrong you were haha.

Sure let us know what date you get for your physical. As far as we are aware, there is only one date for the physical - this coming Monday.

Just got my date there, pct is on Monday :) I was meant to be going out tonight so it looks like I have a sober night ahead if me haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭higglepiggle

Anyone else's vetting not back yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 jmone

Long time snooper, first time poster.

Has anybody tried to claim job seekers allowance after leaving their previous job in anticipation of starting training in Sept?

Were you successful/is it worth the hassle?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

jmone wrote: »

Has anybody tried to claim job seekers allowance after leaving their previous job in anticipation of starting training in Sept?

Thanks

not worth the risk.. you'd never know what's gonna happen mate..

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭misshopeful1

Thanks

I finished working at the end of May. I wasn't gonna bother applying for JB, with the July start date, but have since applied due to the delay. I have my appoinment on August 1st. She said I'll probably be in Templemore before the money comes through though! :-P I couldn't be arsed dealing with the CWO. Hopefully savings will see me through. This delay has been such a pain for many reasons! :-/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

carzony wrote: »
    not worth the risk.. you'd never know what's gonna happen mate..

What risk? Leave your job and you are unemployed and entitled to JSA/JSB. If you mean it's risky leaving his/her job, I would agree. Wait until you get your place confirmed before handing in notice. If you have already finished, gets your P45, PPS and ID and head to your SWLO and put in a claim

• Registered Users Posts: 25 nios89

I think they were just saying this to you to be safe tbh. That's up to 3 weeks away. Also, it they notify us in the second week in August (i.e. week ending 15/08), then the start date realistically won't be early September as promised, it'll be 15 September. Perhaps it'll only be a worst case scenario that it'll be the second week in August.

Era I think we all know promises are empty at this stage! One week isnt going to keep them up at night! : ) I'd be well happy with the 15th but perhaps you're right!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭wideasagate

Just thinking here, I've spent 3 summers wearing those awful woolen trousers with the lining and baton pocket sticking to me at every move during the summer, most days I bring a fresh uniform to work, at least we're safe till next summer to be lugging the vest around too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Just thinking here, I've spent 3 summers wearing those awful woolen trousers with the lining and baton pocket sticking to me at every move during the summer, most days I bring a fresh uniform to work, at least we're safe till next summer to be lugging the vest around too!

Haha, I always think that those trousers look fierce impractical and uncomfortable when I see guards in them. There can't be much give in them when chasing suspects, climbing over obstacles etc. You'd think that combats would be far more practical!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭wideasagate

Haha, I always think that those trousers look fierce impractical and uncomfortable when I see guards in them. There can't be much give in them when chasing suspects, climbing over obstacles etc. You'd think that combats would be far more practical!

If the boots are the same as mine wait till you have to go for a run, you'll forget you have them on but eventually granny will overtake ya

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

Thanks

I did yeah. I just explained the situation with the intake being unexpectedly delayed after I had handed in my notice in work and there was no problem at all. You're entitled to it as long as you are looking for work between now and September. It's a big cut to the weekly income but it'll get you by until we finally start.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

I did yeah. I just explained the situation with the intake being unexpectedly delayed after I had handed in my notice in work and there was no problem at all. You're entitled to it as long as you are looking for work between now and September. It's a big cut to the weekly income but it'll get you by until we finally start.
    Being on welfare will get you used to the Garda wage rates

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Lojak

Santa Cruz wrote: »

Can one of the mods not just ban this wum? All he ever does is come on and try to cause a row or wind somebody up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

Santa Cruz wrote: »

Still flogging that horse SC? Yawn

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Lojak wrote: »
    Can one of the mods not just ban this wum? All he ever does is come on and try to cause a row or wind somebody up.

Just because you don't agree with me doesn't give you the right to ban me.
    Look at the financial figures and what is facing new Gardai.
    They will not be allowed to be stationed in the present locality apart from Dublin based Gardai. If they are stationed in Dublin they will have to pay up to 1200 a month for a one bed apartment and 600 a month for a house share. If married they will also be keeping a house going elsewhere unless they have the chance of moving the family to the new station area ( this may mean their partner having to give up a job, kids change school etc) They will have to have a good car for working outside public transport hours or for travelling back to the family. All this on a poor starting rate regardless of family situation. It might be all right for a young single person but anyone with a mortgage and family are facing tough times.
    Take off the blue tinted glasses and face reality about the financial situations people will be getting in to.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Santa Cruz banned permanently for constant trolling.

www,board.ie banned also.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 whysosirius

Just wondering how long does the day of the physical take? I've a football match tomorrow evening and I just want to know if I can make it home in time after my physical. I assume we will be well out of there in time but I just want to be certain about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭r_k.com

Just wondering how long does the day of the physical take? I've a football match tomorrow evening and I just want to know if I can make it home in time after my physical. I assume we will be well out of there in time but I just want to

Depending on what group your in but 1 or 2 o clock

Nice one. Thanks

Probably a stupid question but, having never done a bleep test outside of practicing for this- if, say, you're a bit short of the line at the bleep do you have to cross the line before you can turn and leg it to make the next one or can you turn where you are and run?

• Advertisement

nios89 wrote: »
    Probably a stupid question but, having never done a bleep test outside of practicing for this- if, say, you're a bit short of the line at the bleep do you have to cross the line before you can turn and leg it to make the next one or can you turn where you are and run?

You have to make the line each time. If you are short of the line when the beep goes you still need to touch the line before you turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭galalala123

Probably a stupid question but, having never done a bleep test outside of practicing for this- if, say, you're a bit short of the line at theu have to cross the line before you can turn and leg it to make the next one or can you turn where you are and run?

Your leg just has to come in contact with the line. You dont have to go all the way accross the line just touch it with your foot. If you miss a beep you still have to make the line and then make the next one or you're out.

How did everyone find the bleep test on the day? Were you able to push yourself to the 8.7 even if you couldn't reach it previously whilst practising? I've been reaching 7.2-7.5 recently and I'm afraid I won't be able to reach 8.7 tomorrow :/

Chem Lord wrote: »
    How did everyone find the bleep test on the day? Were you able to push yourself to the 8.7 even if you couldn't reach it previously whilst practising? I've been reaching 7.2-7.5 recently and I'm afraid I won't be able to reach 8.7 tomorrow :/

You'll be fine. Bleep test is one of the hardest things to do on your own. With a group you'll manage to keep going that bit longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭almeraguy

Was pushing hard to hit my level in training but found it easier on the day. Doing it in a group pushes you further.
    Best of luck, I'd say you'll fly it.

I'd agree with what the fellas above me have said. I'd also like to add that you should keep very very well hydrated. Can't emphasise that enough. Also remember only one foot has to hit the line, then turn back to run in the opposite direction - no need in using more energy than is absolutely necessary!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Eireannach01

Good luck anyone doing the physical tomorrow. I hope it all goes well for you. I know a few of you are worried about the bleep test but there is no need to worry. I was panicking and getting stressed out in advance of my physical because I could only reach level 6 on my own. I practised my bleep test with an instructor at my local leisure centre and I also downloaded the 20m bleep test app which I used myself. Like I said, I could only manage level 6 or so.

There were certainly a number of factors that helped on the day - adrenaline really does play a part and being in a group enables you to pace yourself much better and you also get a psychological boost. However, the main factor was that there were only 7 or 8 shuttles for most levels. I think only level 7 had 9 or 10 shuttles and at level 8 you only have to reach 8.1 or 8.8 depending on your age. When I was training, the bleep tests at the leisure centre and on my phone had mainly 9/10 shuttles per level. So in fact, you can probably grade yourself a level above what you are achieving on your own.

I hope this helps and I wish you all the best tomorrow. You can do it!!

Thanks for all the advice, there hasn't been any mentions of people failing the bleep test yet on boards? Did anyone fail when you were all doing it?

Thanks for all the advice, there hasn't been any mentions of people failing the bleep test yet on boards? Did anyone fail when you were all doing it?

I think 3 failed the day we did it, and heard similar numbers for the other days on here.

• Advertisement

I think 3 failed the day we did it, and heard similar numbers for the other days on here.

3 failed the pct overall or just the bleep test?

3 failed the pct overall or just the bleep test?

The bleep test.

The bleep test.

That doesn't sound too bad, depending on how many people were there on the day. All I can do is give it my best!

That doesn't sound too bad, depending on how many people were there on the day. All I can do is give it my best!

It was about 3 out of 40, im sure you will be fine , many lads were only hitting 7 in practice and got to 8.7 on the day, the wood floor is easier to run on and having a group pushes you on.

IIRC 4 failed on the beep test on the day I was there. Nobody ( to my knowledge) failed the PCT. But then again, perhaps people did, but they just didn't broadcast it.
    When I was training, the bleep tests at the leisure centre and on my phone had mainly 9/10 shuttles per level. So in fact, you can probably grade yourself a level above what you are achieving on your own.

I hope this helps and I wish you all the best tomorrow. You can do it!!

I think the number of shuttles per level is standardised. Wikipedia outlines them fairly well if you google it.

Level
    Shuttles

I tried the bleep test on a wooden floor in my house just there and I made it to 8.1. Didn't think running on wood would make such a difference!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Carroller

From what I remember there was 6 shuttles in level 1 and 2 going up to 7 shuttles from 2-4 and then 8/9 shuttles for the rest. You'll be at level 6 in no time!

I think the number of shuttles per level is standardised. Wikipedia outlines them fairly well if you google it.

Level
    Shuttles

There are a number of formats and the standardised format quoted above was not used. Check my previous post. Caroller could be spot on there in his estimation!! I can't quite remember exactly how many shuttles but they were less than quoted above.

Everyone is assigned their own assessor and I checked with him beforehand how many shuttles there were per level. He showed me the grid on which he was marking me and outlined that there were fewer shuttles in this test than many other 'standardised' bleep tests. That instantly eased the pressure before I stepped up to the line. As Caroller says, you'll be at level 6/7 before you know it.

Ask your assessor beforehand and he/she will happily tell you everything. Once again, Good luck tomorrow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Carroller

You'll be given a presentation on what the day will include and be put into your groups, you will be given a form and that will outline what each level needed. Put my mind at ease anyway as it was a lot less than I had been expecting or practising. And with everyone running along side you it is much easier. Keep a slow jogging pace for the first 3 levels and push on from there!

There are a number of formats and the standardised format quoted above was not used. Check my previous post. Caroller could be spot on there in his estimation!! I can't quite remember exactly how many shuttles but they were less than quoted above.

Everyone is assigned their own assessor and I checked with him beforehand how many shuttles there were per level. He showed me the grid on which he was marking me and outlined that there were fewer shuttles in this test than many other 'standardised' bleep tests. That instantly eased the pressure before I stepped up to the line. As Caroller says, you'll be at level 6/7 before you know it.

Ask your assessor beforehand and he/she will happily tell you everything. Once again, Good luck tomorrow!!

It most certainly was used. The standardised format above is the Loughborough 20m MST (1987), and is exactly how I described it earlier. It explicitly states this on the Garda website here:

http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=12379&Lang=1

And is explained with a more detailed table here:

http://www.nrpt.co.uk/training/tests/body/multistage.htm

This is the standard they are looking for ChemLord. Eireannach01 appears to be mistaken.

I tried the bleep test on a wooden floor in my house just there and I made it to 8.1. Didn't think running on wood would make such a difference!

Im doing it tomorrow too, we got this! Will def be easier with others driving you on!

• Advertisement

Im doing it tomorrow too, we got this! Will def be easier with others driving you on!

Are you in the 18-25 category too? How have your practices been? Yeah I'm counting on adrenaline and other people too push me up to 8.8!

It most certainly was used. The standardised format above is the Loughborough 20m MST (1987), and is exactly how I described it earlier. It explicitly states this on the Garda website here:

http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=12379&Lang=1

And is explained with a more detailed table here:

http://www.nrpt.co.uk/training/tests/body/multistage.htm

This is the standard they are looking for ChemLord. Eireannach01 appears to be mistaken.

So it's the same amount of levels as the sample tests on YouTube etc?

So it's the same amount of levels as the sample tests on YouTube etc?

That's right. I've not come across any of the other 20m MSTs that Eireannach seems to be referring to, but then again I wasn't looking for them. The beep test phone apps that I've come across also follow the Loughborough model.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 HungryMantis

So how long is the bleep test in total to level 8.8?

So how long is the bleep test in total to level 8.8?

I think it's around ten minutes.

You have a 20m long room in your house? You live in Aras an Uachtarain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ShodenMcClane

Ha, that's the first thing I thought too. I'm surprised I had to go this far to see someone comment on it.

That's right. I've not come across any of the other 20m MSTs that Eireannach seems to be referring to, but then again I wasn't looking for them. The beep test phone apps that I've come across also follow the Loughborough model.

I can totally understand that Rothman is determined that the standardised test was used for the PCT, particularly as it states on the Garda website that the Loughborough test is used. But I can tell you that this is incorrect. Please believe me!! My practice Bleep tests were based around the Loughborough test and they certainly corresponded to the shuttles per level as Rothmans has outlined for us. That's why I was so surprised when my assessor showed me the grid beforehand to indicate how many shuttles are per level. As I previously stated, I was delighted at this. I was certainly surprised and the assessor himself explicitly said to me that there are fewer shuttles used than the 'standardised' version. I am not imagining things.

You, too, will have an opportunity to look at this grid during your briefing session in the morning. Also ask your assessor to clarify the number of shuttles right before you begin your bleep test and you will be relieved. I was almost on a high when I found out that there were less shuttles per level. I felt so relieved.

Feel free to let us all know tomorrow how many shuttles you had to do to confirm that I am correct. If you find out that you are doing, for example, 10 shuttles at level 6 as Rothmans has stated then I will be the first to support you when you make a complaint. I will say that my group was given an easier test. But let me assure you, this did NOT happen. I am 100% confident that this is a fair process.

Once again guys, all the best tomorrow!! Let us know how you get on!!

Not exactly haha, I have a 10m room and I counted two lengths of it as one shuttle. It just resulted in me having to stop and turn twice as much :P

Not exactly haha, I have a 10m room and I counted two lengths of it as one shuttle. It just resulted in me having to stop and turn twice as much :P

Ah well then you will definitely fly it, its the turning that makes it awkward.

• Advertisement
Advertisement