Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 5

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

I can totally understand that Rothman is determined that the standardised test was used for the PCT, particularly as it states on the Garda website that the Loughborough test is used. But I can tell you that this is incorrect. Please believe me!! My practice Bleep tests were based around the Loughborough test and they certainly corresponded to the shuttles per level as Rothmans has outlined for us. That's why I was so surprised when my assessor showed me the grid beforehand to indicate how many shuttles are per level. As I previously stated, I was delighted at this. I was certainly surprised and the assessor himself explicitly said to me that there are fewer shuttles used than the 'standardised' version. I am not imagining things.

You, too, will have an opportunity to look at this grid during your briefing session in the morning. Also ask your assessor to clarify the number of shuttles right before you begin your bleep test and you will be relieved. I was almost on a high when I found out that there were less shuttles per level. I felt so relieved.

Feel free to let us all know tomorrow how many shuttles you had to do to confirm that I am correct. If you find out that you are doing, for example, 10 shuttles at level 6 as Rothmans has stated then I will be the first to support you when you make a complaint. I will say that my group was given an easier test. But let me assure you, this did NOT happen. I am 100% confident that this is a fair process.

Once again guys, all the best tomorrow!! Let us know how you get on!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTGPrcvwpe4

Above is the exact test that was used for the fitness test. Anyone else who's done the fitness test will confirm this. Count out the number of shuttles, and you'll find that you're wrong. Perhaps your instructor told you that they carry out an easy beep test to make you relax. Otherwise, I don't know why you are trying to mislead people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

Best of luck tomorrow lads and lassies.

Don't worry about how many shuttles are in each level, just focus on your breathing and pacing yourself so that you're not arriving at the line way before the beeps in the first few levels. It's a lot easier on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 nios89

Chem Lord wrote: »
    Are you in the 18-25 category too? How have your practices been? Yeah I'm counting on adrenaline and other people too push me up to 8.8!

Yup 18-25 but im a girl so have to get 7.6 and struggling but thinking positive and what not!!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Eireannach01

Rothmans wrote: »
    Otherwise, I don't know why you are trying to mislead people.

I beg your pardon! I think that is shameful and out of order to suggest such a thing. I am just wishing everyone all the best for tomorrow.

Let me ask you this, Rothmans. Did you or did you not attend the briefing prior to the test? Were you or were you not given a sheet on which you filled in your details and which also included the required shuttles per level? My third question is: Did you read it? I can probably answer that. My final question is: Do you think I imagined everything that I previously stated? I can assure you, I was really there.

Guys if you don't believe me, have a look at what Carroller said earlier too. But most importantly get a good night's rest tonight. And have a sensible breakfast. You don't want to eat too much. Bring water with you too but if you forget, you can buy a bottle there.

Please do let us know how you get on. My thoughts are with you all. Good luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BRB

Good luck to everyone tomorrow. It's much easier on the day.
    Just make sure to pace yourself. Be cautious on the first shuttle on each level if you're worried. After that just keep the rhythm going.
    Hydrate throughout the day. There's plenty of rest periods during the day.

Let us know how everyone gets on. You'll smash it and if not it isn't the end of the world. They'll allow retesting.

I beg your pardon! I think that is shameful and out of order to suggest such a thing. I am just wishing everyone all the best for tomorrow.

Let me ask you this, Rothmans. Did you or did you not attend the briefing prior to the test? Were you or were you not given a sheet on which you filled in your details and which also included the required shuttles per level? My third question is: Did you read it? I can probably answer that. My final question is: Do you think I imagined everything that I previously stated? I can assure you, I was really there.

Guys if you don't believe me, have a look at what Carroller said earlier too. But most importantly get a good night's rest tonight. And have a sensible breakfast. You don't want to eat too much. Bring water with you too but if you forget, you can buy a bottle there.

Please do let us know how you get on. My thoughts are with you all. Good luck!!

Firstly, you openly admitted that you didn't recall how many shuttles there were.
    I can't quite remember exactly how many shuttles but they were less than quoted above.

You provided an estimate of what you thought was the number of shuttles:
    However, the main factor was that there were only 7 or 8 shuttles for most levels. I think only level 7 had 9 or 10 shuttles and at level 8 you only have to reach 8.1 or 8.8 depending on your age.

I then told ChemLord that it is the Loughborough 20m MST that is used, and outlined the number of shuttles per level (as requested). If you were to look back on what you originally said ( i.e. ''the main factor was that there were only 7 or 8 shuttles for most levels. I think only level 7 had 9 or 10 shuttles''), you'd see that the information that I provided actually backed up what you were originally saying about the number of shuttles. However, for some reason that I can't fathom, you decided to call my information out and tell ChemLord that I was misinforming him and that there were in fact quite a few shuttles less than in the Loughborough 20m MST (going back on what you originally said).

I also cited the Garda physical requirements which confirmed what I was saying. You then insisted that even they were wrong. I don't know what else to say.

I also noticed that you caused confrontation with other posters elsewhere in this forum, despite the fact that you only joined 10 days ago, and have only 25 posts, which I find interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭wideasagate

nios89 wrote: »
    Yup 18-25 but im a girl so have to get 7.6 and struggling but thinking positive and what not!!

Won't be a bother on you, the instructor suddendly shouted out level 6 and I thought she was joking, I was conveinced we were still on level 3 or 4. Only a few shuttles left then! You won't have time to think about not being able to do it!! All the young people go in later groups so do have a bit of breakfast cause you'll have a lot of hanging around!

Also, as I've done at every other stage, I'd like to wish good luck to all doing PCT tomorrow (although I doubt you'll need it!!). It's the final hurdle, and will be no bother to ye!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

Never mind the PCT , when do we start in the first class!??! :p

*best of luck to all pct participants*

• Advertisement

WilcoOut wrote: »
    Never mind the PCT , when do we start in the first class!??! :p

*best of luck to all pct participants*

I was told the 8th... By someone with vested interest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I'm close to banning the guessing of start dates at this stage unless you can link an official source. It's not doing anyone any good and we have some people, no one in particular but some, just guessing with no information and it's unfair on candidates IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Upthedubs2014

Finally I have joined the fun! Got my fitness test tomorrow so no better time. Nervous about the bleep test as I can't quite manage level 8. But I work in a youth club and I have been fortunate to practise indoors using the Sports department's bleep test. They have two versions of the test and both claim to be of the Loughborough standard. They have different levels of shuttles on the two cds. So I practised with the harder one to be safe. Im just a few shuttles out so hopefully it will go well tomorrow. I was going to ask for some advice about the number of shuttles but it looks like this has been a sensitive topic tonight. Haha.
    Anyways, I better get some sleep. One last question, can you choose what group to be in? I would like to be in early group as I don't want to cancel my dental appointment at 3.45. Cancellation fees can be heavy enough.
    Thanks

Finally I have joined the fun! Got my fitness test tomorrow so no better time. Nervous about the bleep test as I can't quite manage level 8. But I work in a youth club and I have been fortunate to practise indoors using the Sports department's bleep test. They have two versions of the test and both claim to be of the Loughborough standard. They have different levels of shuttles on the two cds. So I practised with the harder one to be safe. Im just a few shuttles out so hopefully it will go well tomorrow. I was going to ask for some advice about the number of shuttles but it looks like this has been a sensitive topic tonight. Haha.
    Anyways, I better get some sleep. One last question, can you choose what group to be in? I would like to be in early group as I don't want to cancel my dental appointment at 3.45. Cancellation fees can be heavy enough.
    Thanks

Nope, groups are already made out. Older people seem to be in the early groups. I was the second last group and was leaving around 3ish I think

Nope, groups are already made out. Older people seem to be in the early groups. I was the second last group and was leaving around 3ish I think

Okay then. We'll just have to wait and see. I will be in the higher age group. Im an oldie so hopefully they will take pity on the pensioners and let us in and out first. What will be will be. Right i better get my ass to bed.
    Thanks

Thanks

The video that I posted today is the exact one that'll be used tomorrow. The two tapes/CDs you have could be 15m and 20m, and this could be the reason for the discrepancy perhaps.

• Advertisement

The video that I posted today is the exact one that'll be used tomorrow. The two tapes/CDs you have could be 15m and 20m, and this could be the reason for the discrepancy perhaps.

Thanks. I had a look at the video earlier. Both Cds were 20m so thats what was confusing me.

Thanks. I had a look at the video earlier. Both Cds were 20m so thats what was confusing me.

I can assure you the video I linked will be the test you'll be getting tomorrow. Also, if you're getting up to level 8 on your own, the adrenaline will drive you way over what is needed tomorrow! Also, you needn't worry about counting the beeps in your head or anything - one of the instructor's will yell out when you've reached your required level!

Finally - Stay well hydrated, remember that you need only hit the line with one foot, then turn into the next shuttle (whilst keeping your foot on the line) until you hear the beep, and finally, good luck!!

I can assure you the video I linked will be the test you'll be getting tomorrow. Also, if you're getting up to level 8 on your own, the adrenaline will drive you way over what is needed tomorrow! Also, you needn't worry about counting the beeps in your head or anything - one of the instructor's will yell out when you've reached your required level!

Finally - Stay well hydrated, remember that you need only hit the line with one foot, then turn into the next shuttle (whilst keeping your foot on the line) until you hear the beep, and finally, good luck!!

Much appreciated. Thank you for the advice. I really am off to bed this time. At least Im staying in a BandB nearby in Thurles so not far from here. Thanks again.

No problem. Be sure to post back here tomorrow!

Another week

Another wait

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 babybell

Is today the only PCT or is there more scheduled for this week

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭teaisgreat

babybell wrote: »
    Is today the only PCT or is there more scheduled for this week

Just today.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 babybell

Ok well I'm going to keep my fingers crossed for Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

we should be starting our second week!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 HungryMantis

All passed. Roll on September!

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭galalala123

Congrats its a great feeling. Anything said about when you will find out?? Did everyone pass?

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

well done!

weight off the shoulders

did they have any news for you?

did u spot much activity in the college - many uniforms around?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭misshopeful1

Well done! It's such a relief, isn't it?! :-)

Any talk up there re: results etc.?

Many fails?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 HungryMantis

Great feeling alright! It's all speculation from what I can tell so I won't be making things worse by repeating it. A few fails alright, about 5 by the time I left. Good few uniforms up there some in training others just strolling about, there was a bit of buzz about the place anyway.

Yeehaa! Passed it today. Congrats to everyone who passed too. Very happy with the bleep test. The levels were shorter, with less shuttles than both practise bleep tests that i practised with. So I honestly feel i could have run a few more levels easily. Good advice Eireannach!
    Well Im waiting on dentist now and then its straight to the bar. Gona celebrate seiously!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Chem Lord

Passed :) as said above, there was a good buzz around the college. Plenty of gardai around so I'd say things are almost ready for the first intake!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭djor88

Well done to all passing the PCT.

Anyone hear anything about the second class yet?

I'm a bit worried as to whether it will go ahead, having not done my PCT as of yet (between 160-190 order of merit), spoke to HR and got the impression that all they knew about was the first class, that nothing was planned for a second so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Chem Lord

Did everyone else just walk straight out after you passed the push/pull? There wasn't any talk afterwards that I missed?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Eireannach01

Yeehaa! Passed it today. Congrats to everyone who passed too. Very happy with the bleep test. The levels were shorter, with less shuttles than both practise bleep tests that i practised with. So I honestly feel i could have run a few more levels easily. Good advice Eireannach!
    Well Im waiting on dentist now and then its straight to the bar. Gona celebrate seiously!!

Well done my friend.

Hey Rothmans, are you reading the quote above? Whats that... an apology? Oh, what is that you are cooking..mmmmm ..... Humble Pie!

All joking aside. Lets be pleased that another group have passed their fitness tests and that we sre a step closer to Templemore. I forgive you for wrongly accusing me of misleading others.

Im sure you are a great guy and that we will get on well together. We can have a pint in September. Well dobe everyone!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Chem Lord wrote: »
    Did everyone else just walk straight out after you passed the push/pull? There wasn't any talk afterwards that I missed?

I baled. Albeit back on the 20th of June.

I hope to god the offers are issued this week!!! Well done to all that passed today. What was the order of merit range of applicants testing today? Many women? I'm placed in the low 130s, passed my stage 5 test in June. Trying to figure out my chances of making the first intake in September. The wait is painful, to say the least :-P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Well done! Did many fail?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mickaleen

Also passed, no bother. I reckon about 8 to 10 have failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭teaisgreat

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Well done! Did many fail?

A few fails, 2 women failed the bleep test, another on the push up form and another on the push pull. Some lads failed too, maybe 6 fails altogether. Shuttles were less than in the app I had anyway, about 1 shuttle less for each level which defo helped. Here to strolling in the gates of templemore sometime soon!! :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Blaireness

That was a lot of fails!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

teaisgreat wrote: »
    A few fails, 2 women failed the bleep test, another on the push up form and another on the push pull. Some lads failed too, maybe 6 fails altogether. Shuttles were less than in the app I had anyway, about 1 shuttle less for each level which defo helped. Here to strolling in the gates of templemore sometime soon!! :-)
    What's the app?

Well done my friend.

Hey Rothmans, are you reading the quote above? Whats that... an apology? Oh, what is that you are cooking..mmmmm ..... Humble Pie!

All joking aside. Lets be pleased that another group have passed their fitness tests and that we sre a step closer to Templemore. I forgive you for wrongly accusing me of misleading others.

Im sure you are a great guy and that we will get on well together. We can have a pint in September. Well dobe everyone!!

I apologise - sincerely. I could have sworn it was the Loughborough.

Anyhow sorry for getting overly defensive when you corrected me. And I'm sure we'll be having a pint in September :)

Blaireness wrote: »
    That was a lot of fails!

Hopefully they'll have enough passes to make up the 105 for September :p (jk - of course they will!!!) But yeah 8 to ten fails out of how many? It is a pretty high number to fail. But it was only to be expected given the short notice - people wouldn't have enough time to prepare I reckon.

I apologise - sincerely. I could have sworn it was the Loughborough.

Anyhow sorry for getting overly defensive when you corrected me. And I'm sure we'll be having a pint in September :)

It is the Loughborough on that they use.

Hopefully they'll have enough passes to make up the 105 for September :p (jk - of course they will!!!) But yeah 8 to ten fails out of how many? It is a pretty high number to fail. But it was only to be expected given the short notice - people wouldn't have enough time to prepare I reckon.

But we've had since January to prepare!!!

• Advertisement

Blaireness wrote: »
    But we've had since January to prepare!!!

Correction - december 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mickaleen

People had since last May to prepare, doesn't make it any easier though seeing people go under. You'd be wishing everyone on as they are doing it. One of the fails was ridiculous today. Person wasn't left do the press ups as they hadn't the correct form in the trial run. I felt this person should have been given the chance to do them right. Just a personal opinion on it, I don't know the person.

I was told I had failed one section, wrongly, but got it corrected a few weeks after. To anyone who failed the PCT I absolutely feel your pain and I really hope we meet in the job one day!

How many people were there today? There were 29 the day I did mine.

I was told I had failed one section, wrongly, but got it corrected a few weeks after. To anyone who failed the PCT I absolutely feel your pain and I really hope we meet in the job one day!

Oh that sounds terrible. Did they tell you that you failed that section on the day. Or did they mistakenly send you an email saying that you failed?

• Advertisement
Advertisement