Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 5

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭djor88

I checked with HRM about the possibilty of providing a rough estimate of 2nd class start date, a month ago they said October was looking like November, when I called this week, they said all they know is the 1st class will be September, nothing about any 2nd class.

Anyone else worried that they might just take on 105 for the first class then scrap the rest, bring them in as a symbolic/political move - look, we restarted recruitment, more guards coming soon..

Just a bit worrying when they were very dismissive of the 2nd class even going ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭galalala123

djor88 wrote: »
    I checked with HRM about the possibilty of providing a rough estimate of 2nd class start date, a month ago they said October was looking like November, when I called this week, they said all they know is the 1st class will be September, nothing about any 2nd class.

Anyone else worried that they might just take on 105 for the first class then scrap the rest, bring them in as a symbolic/political move - look, we restarted recruitment, more guards coming soon..

Just a bit worrying when they were very dismissive of the 2nd class even going ahead.

I really doubt it. If that was the case why are they bringing the next batch through to get them interviewed etc? I'd say its more that the first class is barely finalised and they have no idea when the second will be. I wouldnt imagine that they are too worried about the second yet considering all of the problems they have with the first class!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

No. I'd imagine it's more of a case of them being sick of being queried about the first intake, nevermind the second

There is no way they have gone to all this effort, expense and transferring of sargeants and other gardaí for instructors only to train 105 people. The political ramifications of wasting that time, expense and effort would far outweigh the positive spin of getting it started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Not a hope IMO. Recruitment alone would have cost a fair bit, to only get 105 would be disastrous. I can't see less than 4-6 classes going through in the next couple of years. With the numbers falling so low they have to recruit, there's no other option really

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭almeraguy

No way hosé, AGS need to keep numbers from falling any further. Retiring members need to be replaced.
    There will definitely be more classes, just how soon they will be is the question.
    Recruitment numbers will be matched to retirement numbers IMO.

Hang in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭djor88

Thanks for the insights and opinions folks - helpful..

I know, I'm sure once the first class goes in, after a month or so we'll start hearing more news on the next intake, once they get the ball rolling down there it should work smoothly.

It would be nice if more consideration/info was given to candidates who've gone through so much to get to this stage, but AGS being AGS, public appts being who they are, history tells us these things happen and unfortunately it's how they seem to work things.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭misshopeful1

It would be nice if more consideration/info was given to candidates who've gone through so much to get to this stage

Hear hear!

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

would love to hear today

but all eyes on next friday. I can feel it!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Eireannach01

Well today is the 1st of August so hopefully we will hear something today. I didn't think that we would be waiting this long a month ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

Today would be amazing but im not hopeful

Would set up the Bankholiday weekend perfectly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

We initially applied last winter, it is now Autumn. Who knew it would be almost a full year before we heard if we're in or not..?

To put that in perspective, Voyager 1 has travelled 325 million miles in the last year, that's over 13,000 times the circumference of the Earth.

Ron DMC wrote: »
    We initially applied last winter, it is now Autumn. Who knew it would be almost a full year before we heard if we're in or not..?

To put that in perspective, Voyager 1 has travelled 325 million miles in the last year, that's over 13,000 times the circumference of the Earth.

The laws of physics, time and space have no place in An Garda Siochana!!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭wideasagate

Time for a novena

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Time for a novena

Time for them to send out the bleedin offers :p

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Hank26

Maybe we have already started and this is lesson #1. Teaching us the virtue of patience and preparing us for political indecision along with lack of funding for AGS.
    I don't know about ye but I think I'm gonna fail on patience.

Best thing about results not coming today is that at least we can enjoy the weekend in total peace and not have to check and refresh emails every 2.5 minutes!!

Best thing about results not coming today is that at least we can enjoy the weekend in total peace and not have to check and refresh emails every 2.5 minutes!!

Haha, I 'd be able to enjoy it in more peace if I had gotten the call :p

At least they have to be letting us know next week, right? RIGHT?!?!?!?

Perhaps Tuesday if we're lucky?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!!?!?!?!?!?!

Rothmans wrote: »
    Haha, I 'd be able to enjoy it in more peace if I had gotten the call :p

At least they have to be letting us know next week, right? RIGHT?!?!?!?

Agreed!! Just trying to comfort myself haha. God only knows. Nothing would suprise me at this stage!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ShadowLFC

Has everyone from the top 200 been called for a medical so far? Just curious as I'm hearing that they have done 180 people so far and im ranked in the 180s and heard noting

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Chem Lord

They havn't called everyone from the 250 but as far as I know they have called atleast 180 and probably a little more... I'd give them a ring next week if I were you. I'm sure it's nothing and you'll be called soon :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 ShadowLFC

Chem Lord wrote: »
    They havn't called everyone from the 250 but as far as I know they have called atleast 180 and probably a little more... I'd give them a ring next week if I were you. I'm sure it's nothing and you'll be called soon :)

Cheers thanks I hope your right, I'll give them a ring sometime next week and hopefully they can let me know something

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭eroc79

ShadowLFC wrote: »
    Has everyone from the top 200 been called for a medical so far? Just curious as I'm hearing that they have done 180 people so far and im ranked in the 180s and heard noting

I'm in the 190s. I did get a call but I wasn't available so had to defer.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭eroc79

ShadowLFC wrote: »

I'm in the 190s. I did get a call but I wasn't available so had to defer.

Does anyone know any instructors/ sergeants in the college that have started their training up there yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

Does anyone know any instructors/ sergeants in the college that have started their training up there yet?

A good few of them are down there about a month now, if not more.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭hopeful8

Most are starting on the 2nd of September
    They did a week in the college the start of July

I'm looking forward to this week now, as it HAS to be this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 HungryMantis

Rothmans wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to this week now, as it HAS to be this week!

Didn't we think that back in July...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭Shifty13

By Friday we will know!

• Advertisement

Shifty13 wrote: »
    By Friday we will know!

Do you have some inside scoop??

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Eireannach01

I'm expecting to read an article in the Independent this week saying that recruitment has been put on hold again until the new year. I can see the report saying that not enough potential recruits have passed the physical or medical exams to fill the class.

I hope not, but it is entirely possible. The optimist in me, however, thinks that Wednesday will be the day.

Let's Pray!

I'm expecting to read an article in the Independent this week saying that recruitment has been put on hold again until the new year. I can see the report saying that not enough potential recruits have passed the physical or medical exams to fill the class.

That's been my fear for the last month. Jesus, we won't know ourselves once the offers are finally sent out. No more worry, sleepless nights, thinking the worst etc.etc. It will just be; either you're in or you're out! :-P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

That's been my fear for the last month. Jesus, we won't know ourselves once the offers are finally sent out. No more worry, sleepless nights, thinking the worst etc.etc. It will just be; either you're in or you're out! :-P

When you get the offers, thats when the sleepness nights, thinking the worst will start to happen and more often than you think

billie1b wrote: »
    When you get the offers, thats when the sleepness nights, thinking the worst will start to happen and more often than you think

Care to elaborate?

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Care to elaborate?

Scenes of accidents, fires, suicides and so on, thats only some of them, getting a call, thinking the worst before you get there, member of my family was on sleeping tablets for a good while after coming on a scene, I wont elaborate on that but i'm sure there are many others like that

• Advertisement

Scenes of accidents, fires, suicides and so on, thats only some of them, getting a call, thinking the worst before you get there, member of my family was on sleeping tablets for a good while after coming on a scene, I wont elaborate on that but i'm sure there are many others like that

I have seen the best and the worst of the job first hand

But I still cant wait to start. No job on the planet like it

Believe me, at 30years old, I've seen plenty of tragedy in my time. I'm well aware of what I'm getting in to. I want this and I'm ready. I've worked damn hard to get this far. Once my offer letter is out, I'll be as happy as a pig (welcome to pun city!) in ****. I'm so out-of-sorts at the moment, because I want it so badly. The wait is a killer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Ted878

billie1b.. There's enough people on this stressing out without your input. As a lot have already said, it's been over 6 months since this competition started so I'm sure anyone that's gotten this far has thought long and hard about whether the job is actually for them.

Ted878 wrote: »
    billie1b.. There's enough people on this stressing out without your input. As a lot have already said, it's been over 6 months since this competition started so I'm sure anyone that's gotten this far has thought long and hard about whether the job is actually for them.

In fairness it was me that asked him to elaborate to which he did.

People may have thought long and hard but I'm sure it's like everything else, you won't know till you actually try. I don't think Billie is trying to shake people up just giving an opinion

Is everyone hopeful it will be this week? They said to people last week they hadn't an official start date yet so hopefully they have that!! I really really really hope its this week!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Ted878

It wasn't ago at billie1b or anything like that..it's just it's already well documented that there's current a bad morale in the guards. The amount of people telling me I'm mad to leave my current job to become a guard is unreal, including serving guards. The thing is, there are 104 new trainees going into templemore shortly, that want to do the job, will know no different with regard to the "good" times and therefore will bring a positive mental attitude to the role. You'll be doing well to find anyone that is completely happy with their job but by reading the posts here, everyone that has applied wants to do it

Lads/Ladies i'm not trying to put anyone off or down about it, I know personally what the job can and can't give you, whats expected of you and the ups and downs of it, it still does not put me off the job at hand, best of luck to you all, its a very rewarding career, I myself am in the same situation as you all and I cant wait either

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭almeraguy

Is everyone hopeful it will be this week? They said to people last week they hadn't an official start date yet so hopefully they have that!! I really really really hope its this week!!

I'm hoping it's this week too but who knows. I'm telling myself it'll be Friday. :-/

Nearly there folks, we'll know in time.

Ted878 wrote: »
    It wasn't ago at billie1b or anything like that..it's just it's already well documented that there's current a bad morale in the guards. The amount of people telling me I'm mad to leave my current job to become a guard is unreal, including serving guards. The thing is, there are 104 new trainees going into templemore shortly, that want to do the job, will know no different with regard to the "good" times and therefore will bring a positive mental attitude to the role. You'll be doing well to find anyone that is completely happy with their job but by reading the posts here, everyone that has applied wants to do it

No offence taken here dude

So everyone should use the power of collective positive thought

this week good news

this week good news

this week good news

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BRB

Had a nice little break from constantly checking boards over the long weekend.....

Now that that's over, can I get an email soon? Maybe? Possibly? Pretty please?

BRB wrote: »
    Had a nice little break from constantly checking boards over the long weekend.....

Now that that's over, can I get an email soon? Maybe? Possibly? Pretty please?

Will it even be an email?? Might be a letter like the olden days seeing as time is on their side now!

Will it even be an email?? Might be a letter like the olden days seeing as time is on their side now!

It's really not though. The offers need to be out as soon as possible so people can give proper notice to employers. No idea what the hold up is and I can only imagine how frustrating it is!

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    It's really not though. The offers need to be out as soon as possible so people can give proper notice to employers. No idea what the hold up is and I can only imagine how frustrating it is!

But at HRM after the medical the garda told me it would be an email for the july intake because it would only be 2-3 weeks notice. It was always letters before that. Lets hope an email in next few days though. Its major frustrating but hopefully it's coming to an end this week!

But at HRM after the medical the garda told me it would be an email for the july intake because it would only be 2-3 weeks notice. It was always letters before that. Lets hope an email in next few days though. Its major frustrating but hopefully it's coming to an end this week!

Sorry, I wasn't disagreeing with the letter, it may well be, I'm just saying they don't have much time. Before we know it it'll be mid August, they need to get offers out this week

• Advertisement
Advertisement