Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 5

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Ron DMC wrote: »
    Ugh, quotas. How I despise quotas...

Ah Jaysus.
    I didn't realise there was a quota for women. It might explain why the fitness levels required for women were lower than lads, but it certainly doesn't justify it, especially when you consider they'll both be doing the same jobs! Won't be too happy if I'm skipped over for the sake of quotas.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭galalala123

I can't understand this....

A new recruit earns somewhere in the region of 23k a year. Why would anyone sign up for this and the bullsh1t that comes with it?

Go ahead and rain on our parade sure. Most of us have been waiting 6 years for this so please take your trolling somewhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Ted878

I can't understand this....

A new recruit earns somewhere in the region of 23k a year. Why would anyone sign up for this and the bullsh1t that comes with it?

Please don't respond to this, can't be dealing with listening to this "debate" today

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BRB

Rothmans wrote: »
    Ah Jaysus.
    I didn't realise there was a quota for women. It might explain why the fitness levels required for women were lower than lads, but it certainly doesn't justify it, especially when you consider they'll both be doing the same jobs! Won't be too happy if I'm skipped over for the sake of quotas.

In stage 3 they stated the only quota was Irish speakers. Someone specifically asked this regarding women. After that it was open. I've heard of no other percentages being disclosed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jacks wasted life

BRB wrote: »
    In stage 3 they stated the only quota was Irish speakers. Someone specifically asked this regarding women. After that it was open. I've heard of no other percentages being disclosed.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that there were no actual quotas. I think they did have some sort of 'aspirational' minimum percentages for both women and ethnic minorities. I sincerely doubt either of those will be achieved within the first intake (although to be fair, I'm only judging on those who I saw at the medical/PCT).

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭wideasagate

Argh! Even today I'm pouncing on the phone at any noise from it!

I don't think there is a quota of females, they just said how many females had applied, I don't think that would be fair to skip over anyone to get to a female and vice versa to get to a male. Irish stream is diff cause they've done it differently and have a special requirment and were always gonna get spaces dedicated to them

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Because it's a rewarding job where you're not making some MD richer but doing something worthwhile for the community and country as a whole.

Also the 23k excludes allowances such as nights, Sundays, Bank Holidays and overtime/court days amongst others. Probably closer to 27k when all is said done on your P60 at the end of the year - maybe even more.

Not bad for a starting salary of a 30 year career with guaranteed increments and a pension waiting for when you take up golf full time at 55/60 years old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

I heard the first batch is reserved only for recruits that meet ALL of the following criteria - black, gay, transgender, female, irish speaking, dyslexic, foreign national, gypsy.

The second intake in Feb is for GAA players.

After that its a free for all.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

That gave me a giggle

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭octigen

E-mails tomorrow afternoon. 8th of September is start date. Spoke with Garda HRM. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mickaleen

I presume so they will do the phone calls in the morning so before they issue the emails. Not long to go now lads/lassies.....

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Eireannach01

octigen wrote: »
    E-mails tomorrow afternoon. 8th of September is start date. Spoke with Garda HRM. :)

Cheers for the update. Getting excited now!

Praise the lord!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Dongaz

Cheers for the update. Getting excited now!

And the order of merit is being stuck too!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭almeraguy

With the recent speculation on cutoff for the first class I'm not expecting a call tomorrow but I'm delighted that there is now a move on. :-)

Roll on tomorrow afternoon!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭misshopeful1

Thank you! :-)

No sleep will be had tonight!!! :-P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

Lets hope it comes to pass - weve had so many false dawns so far......

I still have friday in my head so if it does happen tomorrow it will be a nice bonus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

WilcoOut wrote: »
    Lets hope it comes to pass - weve had so many false dawns so far......

I still have friday in my head so if it does happen tomorrow it will be a nice bonus!

Just a Q for you Wilco bein a GR an all.
    Did u ask your sergeant wats the procedure once you get your offer? Do u have to resign before sept 8th

D Trent wrote: »
    Just a Q for you Wilco bein a GR an all.
    Did u ask your sergeant wats the procedure once you get your offer? Do u have to resign before sept 8th

We dont have to resign afaik - we are entitled to serve as reserves up until we are attested as Garda

• Advertisement

We dont have to resign afaik - we are entitled to serve as reserves up until we are attested as Garda

Im almost positive you have to resign before you take up your post as a student cos student garda is an official rank and you cant hold 2 ranks at once. Thats what i was always told anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ShodenMcClane

That could well be correct but it sounds fairly unworkable logistics wise if you ask me!

Im almost positive you have to resign before you take up your post as a student cos student garda is an official rank and you cant hold 2 ranks at once. Thats what i was always told anyway!

I dont think student garda is an official rank - and wikipedia doesnt count!!

I dont think student garda is an official rank - and wikipedia doesnt count!!

I didnt wikipedia anything im a GR too and thats what the superiors have told me. what you said could be right though.

That could well be correct but it sounds fairly unworkable logistics wise if you ask me!

How do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 jmone

A full timer who was once a reserve told me that he only had to hand in the badge, but kept the uniform. No mention of keeping asp, cuffs etc though - will ask him next time I'm in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Very best wishes to all expecting emails tomorrow (maybe Friday).

Magnificant achievement in this campaign!

May the force be with you.

See you on the ground.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

The not sleeping part is on schedule at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Chem Lord

Glad I'm not the only one! I'll probably start counting sheep soon haha

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭wideasagate

Train of thought since 11pm...

Oh god it's finally happening,
    Jeasus I can't wait....
    God I hope my vetting is okay....
    Maybe I have a mad relative I've never heard of...
    That means I lied on my form b.
    Oh god I'll never get in now.
    What am I gonna do?
    I suppose my job isnt too bad, pity they all know I wanted to leave though.
    Isn't insomnia fun?
    Wonder what time it is,
    Is it too early to get up and wait for them to call/email,
    What if my phone isn't working and I don't get contacted by them, Maybe they'll skip me and I'll never know.
    Right that's it it must be around 9am I'm just gonna get up and try occupy myself.
    Ah here it's 6.30, the HR people are still asleep and I have hours more to wait! I'll go back asleep to waste time.
    Oh god it's finally happening .
    Jeasus I can't wait.
    God I hope my vetting is okay...

Operation email watch has entered day 226

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 michaeld134

So today is the day. Good luck everyone. Gonna be the longest morning ever.

So today is the day. Good luck everyone. Gonna be the longest morning ever.

We hope

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Eireannach01

Should I phone HRM? I had a dream that my vetting wasn't back. Or maybe I should just hold on another few hours. Although I wouldn't mind finding out if they are sticking to their plan of sending out the offers today. We all know how their scheduling has been recently! Not exactly always accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Should I phone HRM? I had a dream that my vetting wasn't back. Or maybe I should just hold on another few hours. Although I wouldn't mind finding out if they are sticking to their plan of sending out the offers today. We all know how their scheduling has been recently! Not exactly always accurate.
    Relax, make a cup of tea, wait until later, if they said they'd start calling/emailing today, then just wait and see. I'm sure we'll hear soon enough.

Call them. I did yesterday and was told I was on today's list. I'm a whole lot more relaxed about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭almeraguy

Call them. I did yesterday and was told I was on today's list. I'm a whole lot more relaxed about it.

HR told you they were offering you a place in Templemore?

I find that so bizarre!

Refreshing........ but odd

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mickaleen

I find that so bizarre!

Refreshing........ but odd
    Not really, they told me last Tuesday I wasn't on the list....

mickaleen wrote: »

I told her my place in order of merit and asked could she check list to see if i was on it. She answered "Yes".

I am high up the order of merit anyway and had no vetting concerns but still asked.

mickaleen wrote: »

Now I'm having an internal debate with myself about ringing HRM.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 225 ✭✭Twas Not

Now I'm having an internal debate with myself about ringing HRM.

Just do it man. What's to be lost?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

Maybe we should all ring in. Save them a few bob on their phone bill.

I'm presuming they'll be following the order of merit in making the calls which had me very worried as it's almost midday and still no call. Relieved to see nobody is on here saying they've received a call yet.

So I rang HR and they told me they "don't actually know" and "to keep an eye on my emails over the next while".

Maybe we should all ring in. Save them a few bob on their phone bill.

I'm presuming they'll be following the order of merit in making the calls which had me very worried as it's almost midday and still no call. Relieved to see nobody is on here saying they've received a call yet.

I'd say they'll send everyone an email, then start making the calls!

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭20times

Maybe they'll just email in the afternoon? Hopefully we'll get word today, cant bear any more waiting!

20times wrote: »
    Maybe they'll just email in the afternoon? Hopefully we'll get word today, cant bear any more waiting!

Was tempted to ring but I know that'll just delay them while they are trying to get emails out

So I rang HR and they told me they "don't actually know" and "to keep an eye on my emails over the next while".

Im going to call it now - we wont be hearing this week

Another false dawn

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Chem Lord

Hate to be a pessimist but it's looking like it will be tomorrow.

Bit of patience lads its early yet!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭20times

Why do ye think tomorrow now? Weren't ye initially expecting emails in the afternoon?

Advertisement