Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 5

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 ansmcwilla

Are there many people who have medical passed and haven't done fitness yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mickaleen

For my medical, I had to tick boxes on a questionnaire and head in to see the nurse. She checked my height, weight, hearing, blood pressure, urine sample and had a look in my ears. Up to the doctor then. Straight in to the eye test. Certainly didn't have to strip down to me jocks. All I had to do was whip off my top and turn around full circle for scars or tattoos. He then proceeded to check my breathing. After which I had to lower my jeans and jocks as he checked my testicles and hernia. That was it. Jeans never went even close to my knees and my shoes and socks were on at all times. Maybe I had a different doctor than a previous poster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

mickaleen wrote: »
    For my medical, I had to tick boxes on a questionnaire and head in to see the nurse. She checked my height, weight, hearing, blood pressure, urine sample and had a look in my ears. Up to the doctor then. Straight in to the eye test. Certainly didn't have to strip down to me jocks. All I had to do was whip off my top and turn around full circle for scars or tattoos. He then proceeded to check my breathing. After which I had to lower my jeans and jocks as he checked my testicles and hernia. That was it. Jeans never went even close to my knees and my shoes and socks were on at all times. Maybe I had a different doctor than a previous poster.

Thank you mickaleen your story seems to be more the norm ! Can anyone else confirm this ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Ted878

The medical all depended on the doctor you got. It changed with each doctor.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Yea I stripped to my jocks, wore a gown and had my balls tickled.

Best morning I had in a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

3fullback wrote: »
    Thank you mickaleen your story seems to be more the norm ! Can anyone else confirm this ?

Actually, I think more people were examined by the more thorough female doctor!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭djor88

ansmcwilla wrote: »
    Are there many people who have medical passed and haven't done fitness yet?

I'm in this boat for one, yourself the same?

Rothmans wrote: »
    Actually, I think more people were examined by the more thorough female doctor!

Does she get you to put on the gown first ? Before she starts asking questions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭r_k.com

quote="3fullback;91704597"]Does she get you to put on the gown first ? Before she starts asking questions ?[/quote]

You have to answer all the questions previously in a form while your in the waiting room and if you don't declare it she gets quite angry. ( I forgot about a minor non invasive procedure )

• Advertisement

djor88 wrote: »
    I'm in this boat for one, yourself the same?

Passed all except the beep so have to repeat it again, was up the first day of physicals back in June..

When did you do your medical? I am praying we will be called September for physical

r_k.com wrote: »
    quote="3fullback;91704597"]Does she get you to put on the gown first ? Before she starts asking questions ?

You have to answer all the questions previously in a form while your in the waiting room and if you don't declare it she gets quite angry. ( I forgot about a minor non invasive procedure )[/quote]

Right that's spot on cheers for your help !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

Yea I stripped to my jocks, wore a gown and had my balls tickled.

Best morning I had in a while.

Easily know your married! ;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

WilcoOut wrote: »
    Easily know your married! ;)

Not at that stage I wasn't. It's but a fond memory now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 LockieFF

TooLate wrote: »
    Did you get a reply when you deferred??

No, I had to ring 2 or 3 times to get a definite answer as to whether or not it was accepted or if I was just going to be left by the wayside! Eventually I was told there wasn't a problem with it but they couldn't say anymore about a second class!

Passed all except the beep so have to repeat it again, was up the first day of physicals back in June..

When did you do your medical? I am praying we will be called September for physical

Ah I see, I just deferred mine due to injury... I did my medical at the end of June and was due to do fitness the start of July.

I'll call HRM around end of August I suppose to see if there's any update on fitness tests, but I'd say priority is to get the 1st class in and started.

• Advertisement

Ah I see, I just deferred mine due to injury... I did my medical at the end of June and was due to do fitness the start of July.

I'll call HRM around end of August I suppose to see if there's any update on fitness tests, but I'd say priority is to get the 1st class in and started.

Yea, no point ringing yet, just curious to see is there many that have to do it yet. There was a lot of failures and some peoples vetting isn't back so I wonder between us all would we make a full class lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Becca22

I'm in the same position as you. Hopefully once the first group are in everything gets going again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

25 days to D-Day

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭JonathanP

WilcoOut wrote: »
    25 days to D-Day

Rub it in hahaha well done

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭fergie199

Question guys an gals, interview is comin up and got the e.mail asking for the first form to be filled out, iv checked out the education requirements which states ''Have obtained an Irish Leaving Certificate with a grade D3 minimum in five subjects
    at ordinary level''

I did 6 subjects but took two at foundation level

Irish b3
    maths b2

does this mean i am now out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

fergie199 wrote: »
    Question guys an gals, interview is comin up and got the e.mail asking for the first form to be filled out, iv checked out the education requirements which states ''Have obtained an Irish Leaving Certificate with a grade D3 minimum in five subjects
    at ordinary level''

I did 6 subjects but took two at foundation level

Irish b3
    maths b2

does this mean i am now out?
    You're going to have to ring to find out. Have you done anything in college that you could argue gives you an equivalent grade to compensate for your 2 foundation subjects. Maybe you did arts/science in college? You might argue that a subject done in college is equivalent or higher to leaving cert standard and should satisfy your education requirements.

Archer3083 wrote: »
    You're going to have to ring to find out. Have you done anything in college that you could argue gives you an equivalent grade to compensate for your 2 foundation subjects. Maybe you did arts/science in college? You might argue that a subject done in college is equivalent or higher to leaving cert standard and should satisfy your education requirements.

Correction i actually did 7 Subjects

i did the usual

Ordinaly level

English A-1
    Business A-2
    Geog-B1
    Home Ec B-3
    Biology B-3

Foundation
    Irish B-2
    Maths B-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Have you a level 5 or greater certificate by any chance? If not I would think that you would fail on educational requirements but your first port of call would be to call HRM tomorrow morning, explain the situation, give all details of any further education, certificates Etc, and see what they say

All the best

i did the usual

Ordinaly level

English A-1
    Business A-2
    Geog-B1
    Home Ec B-3
    Biology B-3

Foundation
    Irish B-2
    Maths B-1

They may pull you up on the Irish if its not to the standard they want, give them a call in the morning

i did the usual

Ordinaly level

English A-1
    Business A-2
    Geog-B1
    Home Ec B-3
    Biology B-3

Foundation
    Irish B-2
    Maths B-1
    If you're worried about satisfying requirements in Irish. There is a separate test that PAS can allow you to take to prove your proficiency in Irish. In fact a guy has posted in the Irish Stream discussion forum that he's going to do it. So if foundation level Irish isn't enough to prove you have the level of Irish required then at least you have a chance to do that additional exam.

:( I Will. This is gonna suck big time, i was sure when reading the whole requirement info at the start id said now less that such a such in foundation

:( I Will. This is gonna suck big time, i was sure when reading the whole requirement info at the start id said now less that such a such in foundation
    Apologies for the long quotation but this is what it says on the Garda.ie website in respect of education requirements. There is quite a lot of wriggle room. You have a good few different options if you don't have the right Leaving Cert standards.

What are the Educational requirements? Applicants must

(A) (i) Have obtained an Irish Leaving Certificate with a grade D3 minimum in five subjects at ordinary level, or
    (ii) have a Level 5 Certificate (Major award) on the National Framework of Qualifications (NFQ), or
    (iii) have a qualification that, in the opinion of the Quality and Qualifications Ireland (QQI) is of a standard in terms of both level and volume of learning that is not lower than the standard of the qualification specified at (i) and (ii) above
    AND
    (B) Must have a proven proficiency in two languages, one of which must be Irish or English. Such competency may be proven by achieving the relevant grades or qualifications specified in (A) above, or for English or Irish through such assessments as set out by the Public Appointments Service.

The Public Appointments Service (PAS) will verify the validity of qualifications other than the Irish Leaving Certificate with Quality and Qualifications Ireland (QQI). Applicants should not contact QQI directly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Best thing would be to redo your irish leaving cert paper mate.. you can do it 2 night a week. I'll most probably be doing the same in September.

if you can't then the assessment is probably your only way..

carzony wrote: »
    Best thing would be to redo your irish leaving cert paper mate.. you can do it 2 night a week. I'll most probably be doing the same in September.

if you can't then the assessment is probably your only way..

Sure he has everything required bar the Irish and we aren't even sure about that. Much better off getting Irish grinds for a while and do the assessment IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 11 jones10

I'm in the same boat, I've got all the correct qualifications only I failed Irish in the leaving cert and need to sit the assessment as set out by the Public Appointments Service
    I've already passed my medical and physical so the Irish is the only thing standing in my way now.

I contacted PAS and they don't really have any information on the assessments yet but that we will be informed in due course.
    I think the only way around it is to put in the work and pass the assessments

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭EveAlex

jones10 wrote: »
    I think the only way around it is to put in the work and pass the assessments

thats the spirit!!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Chirper

Any ideas when people will be re-doing physicals?

Chirper wrote: »
    Any ideas when people will be re-doing physicals?

No idea when the next batch of fitness tests might be, I plan on calling HRM start of September to see if there's any idea.. We'll see, I'd say they're busy with looking after prep for the 1st class going in in September..

Are you re-doing it or first time to do it? I assume you have all other parts of the process completed (interview/medical)?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Chirper

No idea when the next batch of fitness tests might be, I plan on calling HRM start of September to see if there's any idea.. We'll see, I'd say they're busy with looking after prep for the 1st class going in in September..

Are you re-doing it or first time to do it? I assume you have all other parts of the process completed (interview/medical)?

No i have everything done but I didnt get called in the first batch. Just trying to get an idea of time. Id imagine they will do re-tests before the second intake is called.

Chirper wrote: »
    No i have everything done but I didnt get called in the first batch. Just trying to get an idea of time. Id imagine they will do re-tests before the second intake is called.

Yes - I hope so, as I should be in the 2nd intake with my order of merit, I had to cancel my fitness last minute in July due to an injury so will be going in with the next group in testing.

Hey I'm trying to get myself organised for Monday week. I just have a few questions if anyone could answer them it would be great.
    1.Will we be able to get the tracksuit and shoes on the 8th or do we have to have them previous to starting?
    2. How strict are they on the navy swim suits I have a black speedo one would you think that would do?
    3. What time are people going down it says before 2 i know but are people heading down Sunday night?
    4. It says to have a supply of black shoes. Will any Black shoes do? I.e. penny's pumps :)
    Sorry I know these are probably ridiculously obvious I just like to be organised and start off on the right foot.

r_k.com wrote: »
    Hey I'm trying to get myself organised for Monday week. I just have a few questions if anyone could answer them it would be great.
    1.Will we be able to get the tracksuit and shoes on the 8th or do we have to have them previous to starting?
    2. How strict are they on the navy swim suits I have a black speedo one would you think that would do?
    3. What time are people going down it says before 2 i know but are people heading down Sunday night?
    4. It says to have a supply of black shoes. Will any Black shoes do? I.e. penny's pumps :)
    Sorry I know these are probably ridiculously obvious I just like to be organised and start off on the right foot.

think you're looking for this thread pal,

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057264951

think you're looking for this thread pal,

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057264951

Thanks so much

Lads quick question about sit ups , in vid the woman goes all the way back after a sit up where as the fella barely tips his shoulders off the mat and then he's into the next one !

Do the give any guidelines down there ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭wideasagate

Lads quick question about sit ups , in vid the woman goes all the way back after a sit up where as the fella barely tips his shoulders off the mat and then he's into the next one !

Do the give any guidelines down there ?

At physical information day and on the day we were just told to touch the shoulder blades off the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Blaireness

Shoulders down to the floor and elbows up to knees for all.

Cheers lads ! To compare sit ups to push ups would you say they were more strict on one over another ?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Blaireness

Just make sure you practice and that your form is perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭wideasagate

Cheers lads ! To compare sit ups to push ups would you say they were more strict on one over another ?

Depends which instructor to be honest. The mats you lie on are sideways so as a tall girl I found it hard to fit my knees and hands on it and the floor is horrible cold, hard concrete. I asked the instructor before I started was she happy as I did one and she just asked me to try make myself longer, it was no issue to reposition myself. That wont happen to lads since they don't need knees on the mat. The sit ups are grand, she knelt on my toes and even told me not to worry about counting out loud as I was going along so I could save my breath. Just practice with someone on your knees and touch your shoulder blades off the floor, fingers fixed to the temples and elbows to the sides of the knees, pretty sure I was pulling my elbows forward towards my knees to save an inch or two. My instructor was was sound but I did notice one that was very harsh on the running and press up form. My advice, concentrate on the running! Your mouth will dry up and throat will be sore from the air in the hall.

Thanks for experience and advice, appreciate it !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭TooLate

Any one have any information on when the second intake will be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

TooLate wrote: »
    Any one have any information on when the second intake will be?

Nobody knows, it all depends on when the government sanction the next intake.

Most likely the new year as they are taking in reserves to be trained in Templemore in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭tg123

mickaleen wrote: »
    Most likely the new year as they are taking in reserves to be trained in Templemore in November.

Don't think this will have any effect. The current Reserve training is two weeks .Cant imagine this having an effect on training for the full time members

tg123 wrote: »
    Don't think this will have any effect. The current Reserve training is two weeks .Cant imagine this having an effect on training for the full time members
    Only saying what I was told this week by HRM.

• Advertisement
Advertisement