Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 5

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭EveAlex

mickaleen wrote: »
    Only saying what I was told this week by HRM.

well theres 39 GRs starting fulltime training in two weeks so they will have to be replaced - so theres one class needed already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

EveAlex wrote: »
    well theres 39 GRs starting fulltime training in two weeks so they will have to be replaced - so theres one class needed already

I think its actually 39 over the whole 240.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Rothmans wrote: »
    I think its actually 39 over the whole 240.

Yep, pretty sure that's correct

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭jrobertos

Rang HRM yesterday. Seems my vetting is still not back. Anyone hear the same. I asked about next round of medicals and was told they would start whenever they had a bunch who had totally cleared vetting. So still no positive dates.

Anyone have any views on what's going to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mickaleen

Not to be going over the same stuff again I'll post this and leave it at that. I spoke to HR last week and the vibe I was getting was that there will be no more intakes this year. Next year you will have 3 spread out over the year with the first intake next year either Jan or Feb. There will def be more intakes in-case anyone is worried that there won't be. Other then that its just a case of sit tight and try to be patient, its not easy I know but its on the way.

On the vetting issue, mine is not back yet either. The girl who I was speaking to ( whom I may add I speak to all the time when I ring and I find her very helpful ) said that's nothing to be worried about, just the security company they use hasn't gotten to it yet or whatever. They get reminders every week to get it done and as each week goes by the reminders get more strongly worded. Also, it could just be the case that your local station is a really busy one and no one has gotten around to it yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 421 ✭✭tomhenryford

This has probably been asked a thousand times before but the Garda threads are so long, I can't trawl through it all looking for an answer so I hope nobody minds if I ask here.

Does anyone know if being in the Garda Reserve would give you an advance if you were to apply to in any future recruitment campaigns?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭eroc79

This has probably been asked a thousand times before but the Garda threads are so long, I can't trawl through it all looking for an answer so I hope nobody minds if I ask here.

Does anyone know if being in the Garda Reserve would give you an advance if you were to apply to in any future recruitment campaigns?

In this campaign it only stood to you if you made it as far as the interview stage. It was good for the different competencies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭djor88

Having gone through the process, being in the GR definitely stood to me as far as the interview was concerned. They don’t give you any extra points or credit from just being in the Reserve, but what it does do is give you a lot of relevant experiences and things to talk about and put yourself across as a very strong candidate. They’ll ask for examples of certain competencies at interview, pretty much all these competencies can be ticked off by experiences I’ve had as a GR over the last 2-3 years.

So yes, I would recommend joining to help your chances of getting in in future campaigns, it can’t hurt can it?

At the very least, it gives you an insight into the actual Job, and will open your eyes to what the role of a Garda actually is and what the day to day life is actually like, that’s what I have taken most from my time as a GR.

Not to be going over the same stuff again I'll post this and leave it at that. I spoke to HR last week and the vibe I was getting was that there will be no more intakes this year. Next year you will have 3 spread out over the year with the first intake next year either Jan or Feb. There will def be more intakes in-case anyone is worried that there won't be. Other then that its just a case of sit tight and try to be patient, its not easy I know but its on the way.

On the vetting issue, mine is not back yet either. The girl who I was speaking to ( whom I may add I speak to all the time when I ring and I find her very helpful ) said that's nothing to be worried about, just the security company they use hasn't gotten to it yet or whatever. They get reminders every week to get it done and as each week goes by the reminders get more strongly worded. Also, it could just be the case that your local station is a really busy one and no one has gotten around to it yet.

Hi Mickaleen, cheers for the info, much appreciated!

Anyone get any idea of when the next round of fitness tests might be? If nothing on this I’ll buzz HRM later in the week to check.

Thanks!

Good luck to anyone today starting in the first batch! D-Day!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 eggcellent

I am ranked in the 40s. Medical and fitness all passed. No call! Anyone else in the same boat?

• Advertisement

When you say no call, I presume your referring to a call for the first intake?
    If this is what you mean, then like the rest in the top 100 who didn't get in, its prob your vetting has you delayed.

Have you rang HR and asked them?

When you say no call, I presume your referring to a call for the first intake?
    If this is what you mean, then like the rest in the top 100 who didn't get in, its prob your vetting has you delayed.

Have you rang HR and asked them?

Perfect. There is probably a few others in the same boat so! Thanks

eggcellent wrote: »
    Perfect. There is probably a few others in the same boat so! Thanks
    If I were you I would ring HR and get confirmation of that. I am only guessing that's the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Bridel

Just a question for those who have done the physicals already, how tough are they on push ups like does someone stand over you to make sure you go down and your body is correct position!?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Hank26

Bridel wrote: »
    Just a question for those who have done the physicals already, how tough are they on push ups like does someone stand over you to make sure you go down and your body is correct position!?

Yes, someone does stand over you while you're doing the press-ups to check technique. The same person will hold your feet for the sit-ups

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Murdy

Can anyone please enlighten me on the vetting,mine is still not back. I was placed in top 10 for the last intake and still in limbo, is there anything I can do like find out if it's overseas or Ireland is holding it all up. If there is a new intake soon I still won't have a chance. Can anyone tell me anything helpful ?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Kizzy08

Murdy wrote: »
    Can anyone please enlighten me on the vetting,mine is still not back. I was placed in top 10 for the last intake and still in limbo, is there anything I can do like find out if it's overseas or Ireland is holding it all up. If there is a new intake soon I still won't have a chance. Can anyone tell me anything helpful ?

All I know , is what the lady from Garda hq told me after my interview last week, is that Ireland is quick and so is England , but she said the likes of America , Poland , Latvia and the likes are what are taking a long time if that is any help to you

Thanks for that, it just seems so unfair that my future can be determined by somebody sitting on paperwork and there is nothing I can do about it.

Thanks for that, it just seems so unfair that my future can be determined by somebody sitting on paperwork and there is nothing I can do about it.
    I hope it comes through for you soon ;)

• Advertisement

Im in the same boat. But it hasn't been four months yet. So im still hopefully for next batch if there still holding interviews its obviously not full!!

They couldn't possibly have another 100 ready to go right now. I estimate about 240 passed interview, they have taken 100 recruits and are left with 140 ish. Even at that not all the 240 have had medicals and physicals/fitness tests. Out of that there would def be more than 40 having failed either medical or physical/fitness. There are a good few waiting to repeat the physical/fitness test. IMO there will be nothing happening for a few months until they have sufficient numbers passed everything again. The Minister said last Monday she will be making another announcement later this year regarding recruitment, I'd imagine she will be announcing another 100 recruits to be going into college in either Jan of Feb.

Im in the same boat. But it hasn't been four months yet. So im still hopefully for next batch if there still holding interviews its obviously not full!!

What is the significance of four months ? I have been again today in contact with HRM and still no vetting. I am trying to remain hopeful for next batch.

Usually takes about 3 months to come back, some obviously quicker.

Usually takes about 3 months to come back, some obviously quicker.

Are you talking about overseas vetting ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Samstown

Hi all,

Any tips for preparing for the fitness tests stage?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 nios89

Samstown wrote: »
    Hi all,

Thanks

Run! The bleep test is tough so practice that lots. The sit ups, some one holds your feet so its that bit easier. Make sure you have good form for the push ups. : )

• Registered Users Posts: 21 imagine88

Samstown wrote: »
    Hi all,

Thanks

If I can give you any advice it would be to download the app called 'bleep fitness test'. It's free too! :)

I thought I was fine out running everyday for my first fitness test. How wrong I was.. I wasn't sprinting.. I wasn't timing myself..

Running long distance isn't good enough. If you are like me who isn't the sportiest person in the world but went to the gym most days, the bleep test was what I failed on.

I changed my diet and my entire lifestyle for this next fitness test! Give it all you've got between now and then!

If you're not the sportiest person in the world I'd practice the bleep test for sure, It's a different type of fitness required. I'd practice that 2-3 times a week as well as work on push ups, sit ups and maybe 1/2 runs a week and you'll be fine.

If you can push out some push ups and sit ups each morning you'll be flying, say sets of 10/20 of each, they're not about extreme strength, really just form and practice makes perfect. A few weeks and you'll be flying.

Now is the right time for people to be practicing, I'd imagine they'll hold the fitness tests around end of October and through November, don't hold off any longer in prepping.

Do the beep test daily. But measure it out so its at least 2 feet longer than it should be. So on the day you will know you'll be able to run more than you need to. Make sure to take days off running as well. And do nothing for the two days before the test

Medical next week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 imagine88

Do the beep test daily. But measure it out so its at least 2 feet longer than it should be. So on the day you will know you'll be able to run more than you need to. Make sure to take days off running as well. And do nothing for the two days before the test

I dont like saying youre wrong but this is not the best advice. Do not run longer than your 20m. Practise your turn. Do not run to the line. You should step to the line with one foot and turn. Two feet on the line = you are going to end up having to catch up. You need to be able to run the 20m so practise that. You do not have to run two feet longer than the 20m so don't waste your time. As for the sits up and push up the advice above is perfect! Get your fitness levels up. Practise sprints till you get sick :( best of luck to everyone on their medicals!

eroc79 wrote: »
    Medical next week

Hi , did you get your date for the medical ? Thanks

Kizzy08 wrote: »
    Hi , did you get your date for the medical ? Thanks

Yes but I did me interview in May

Yes but I did me interview in May

Cool thanks for the info :)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Minevah

Medical next week

Did they give any indication of dates for upcoming fitness tests?

Minevah wrote: »
    Did they give any indication of dates for upcoming fitness tests?

No but I didn't ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Tmanb

Is anyone still waiting for there vetting to come back I've spoken to hr and they basically said they don't know how long it can take

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭20times

Yeah, in a similar situation myself. Finished in the top 10 and vetting delayed my entry. Never lived in a foreign jurisdiction, so all being done by AGS...

20times wrote: »
    Yeah, in a similar situation myself. Finished in the top 10 and vetting delayed my entry. Never lived in a foreign jurisdiction, so all being done by AGS...

Is it a matter of no one has got around to do it yet ? And is it your local station that handles it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 jmone

Same position too :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 MarkScanlan

I'm also waiting on vetting and frustrated by it. Do you think this warrens a new thread for people waiting on vetting?

I feel so dead-ended and HR don't seem to be able to say, when or even if, it will come back. I've spoken to a guard who's making some enquiries for me.

I'm hoping that if the vetting for a relative overseas is just not being completed that they'll just ignore that and make up their mind based on what they do know. I doubt this is the case though.

Has anyone got more info on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭jrobertos

I'm also waiting on vetting and frustrated by it. Do you think this warrens a new thread for people waiting on vetting?

I feel so dead-ended and HR don't seem to be able to say, when or even if, it will come back. I've spoken to a guard who's making some enquiries for me.

I'm hoping that if the vetting for a relative overseas is just not being completed that they'll just ignore that and make up their mind based on what they do know. I doubt this is the case though.

Has anyone got more info on this?

It's getting so annoying not knowing where we stand. Any clear indication for hr of what the plan is would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭20times

Same position, but got good news this week when phoned HR. Words can't describe the frustration I felt at not getting into the first intake... It's been a horrible few months waiting in limbo, as Im sure some of ye have experienced too. Have ye phoned HR recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Nidgy

Does anyone have any info when the interview results will be out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

No need for a new thread lads, the place is quiet enough. Any info should be easily found if put in the right thread :)

Hopefully ye all hear some good news soon

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Liverpoolfc88

Nidgy wrote: »
    Does anyone have any info when the interview results will be out?

I was told early October at my interview, so not too sure. anyone else been given any other indication?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Nidgy

I was told late September.. Hate this waiting game..

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Lojak

Should they have enough ready for the next intake without this group from the interviews or will they have to wait? First class is in nearly a month so I would be hoping for an update on the second pretty soon. Very annoying being left in limbo like this, even a definite date would ease the nerves!

Is it just they haven't got around to it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BRB

Tmanb wrote: »
    Is it just they haven't got around to it ?

I'd imagine its more of waiting for the funding to be secured for the second intake.

Advertisement