Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 5

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Stephengriffin

Everytime wrote: »
    Just wondering how did you find out when your PCT was ? I've completed the medical and just waiting a date for the PCT !

Well I was a special case as I was originally deferred at the time of my medical for eye sight reasons, so I had to ring HRM in pheonix park and got put through to appointments from there

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Snowblizzard

Has anyone any idea when the next fitness retests will be? Heard 3 months mentioned...if that is the case will we miss the next two intakes?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 eggcellent

It can't be three months or there will be nobody ready for Jan!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Everytime

Has anybody got a date for the PCT who completed their medical last week ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 kopman83

Has anybody got a date for the PCT who completed their medical last week ?

Ya have the pct next tuesday 18 november

• Advertisement

kopman83 wrote: »
    Ya have the pct next tuesday 18 november

How or when did they let you know your date if you don't mind me asking ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 kopman83

How or when did they let you know your date if you don't mind me asking ?

They let us know after the medical

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭StevieF3

Just wondering did anyone else get called for medical today? I'm scheduled for next Wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kev-bt

StevieF3 wrote: »
    Just wondering did anyone else get called for medical today? I'm scheduled for next Wednesday

Im up next week myself, did you get e-mail confirming details yet?

no, they said they would send that on later. I wonder does this mean our vetting is done or am I just being overly optimistic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Bridel

no, they said they would send that on later. I wonder does this mean our vetting is done or am I just being overly optimistic

Got a call too for Wednesday medical and said they'd send an email to confirm but haven't got it yet!! Was wondering about the vetting too

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Tank1094

If you don't mind me asking, what's your general order of merit..?

Has anyone else completed the medical but wasn't given a date for the PCT ?

ah ya, im between 350-400 mate, hope that helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

Has anyone else completed the medical but wasn't given a date for the PCT ?

What's day you do your med ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

Folks what did people wear going for meeting with sergeant and super ?
    I've got mine on Friday !

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Hank26

3fullback wrote: »
    Folks what did people wear going for meeting with sergeant and super ?
    I've got mine on Friday !

Suit

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭IgniteFitness

Hank26 wrote: »
    Suit

Smart casual - no need to wear a suit its an informal chat. I wore jeans, t-shirt, and a jacket, if that helps.

The person who rang me for my medical next week said that having a date for the medical did not mean your vetting was back and that vetting is still on going.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Hank26

Smart casual - no need to wear a suit its an informal chat. I wore jeans, t-shirt, and a jacket, if that helps.

The person who rang me for my medical next week said that having a date for the medical did not mean your vetting was back and that vetting is still on going.

I had my interview 5 months ago and it was far from informal.
    You should be trying to make as good an impression as possible.
    Unless you know the Sergeant and Super/Inspector, wear a suit.

3fullback wrote: »
    What's day you do your med ?

I did it Friday just gone, they told me I'd hear from them that evening. When did you do yours ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 WillOR

Hank26 wrote: »
    Suit

Agreed. Definitely a suit. I wore a suit for both meetings. The sergeant told me that it isnt a "requirement" to wear a suit for meeting with him but if I didnt wear one when meeting the super it would be very disrespectful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

Got a medical date, woohoo. Was at the doctor today,my eyesight is 6/60 unaided, but corrects to perfect with spectacles... Am I screwed??

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭eroc79

Kablamo! wrote: »
    Got a medical date, woohoo. Was at the doctor today,my eyesight is 6/60 unaided, but corrects to perfect with spectacles... Am I screwed??

No once you have a report saying it can be corrected to a minimum of 6-9.

Has everyone who completed the medical received PCT dates ? I've just got mine today for the 17th of November.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

eroc79 wrote: »
    No once you have a report saying it can be corrected to a minimum of 6-9.

No, the standards state that you must have a minimum of 6/18 in each eye, correctable to 6/9 and 6/12. 6/60 is well below 6/18.

Rothmans wrote: »
    No, the standards state that you must have a minimum of 6/18 in each eye, correctable to 6/9 and 6/12. 6/60 is well below 6/18.

Sorry. Was only looking at half the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kev-bt

I presume there is parking in the Garda Hq at Phoenix park for us going to medical?

It didn't say much in e-mail so I also presume we don't need to bring anything with us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

Rothmans wrote: »

So this means I need laser?

kev-bt wrote: »
    I presume there is parking in the Garda Hq at Phoenix park for us going to medical?

It didn't say much in e-mail so I also presume we don't need to bring anything with us?

I parked over by the zoo. Don't think there's much parking within hq.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 ian180power

Kablamo! wrote: »
    So this means I need laser?

I'd go up and see how it goes before getting the laser. I assumed I'd need it. my eyes are poor without my glasses, I need them for driving etc, but on the day the doctor tested me without my glasses, said one of my eyes was borderline. then she tested me with my glasses and said that it was no issue as it was perfect with them.

Just wondering around how long the medical takes from start to finish?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

Just wondering around how long the medical takes from start to finish?

Give yourself at least 2.5 hours

n32 wrote: »
    Give yourself at least 2.5 hours

Cheers mate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Hey, can anyone answer this question.

Is the interview with the Super in the same station as the one you had with the Sargeant? I don't recall the sargeant saying anything about another station, but I'm getting a bit paranoid now and have no credit to ring my station.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 WillOR

Xios wrote: »
    Hey, can anyone answer this question.

Is the interview with the Super in the same station as the one you had with the Sargeant? I don't recall the sargeant saying anything about another station, but I'm getting a bit paranoid now and have no credit to ring my station.

Mine were in separate stations. You should have received a phone call after the sergeant meet about the super meet. You shouldnt have to go by what the sergeant said alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

WillOR wrote: »
    Mine were in separate stations. You should have received a phone call after the sergeant meet about the super meet. You shouldnt have to go by what the sergeant said alone.

Never recieved a phone call :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ShodenMcClane

I take it the 30th isn't happening if we haven't got letters at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 LockieFF

I take it the 30th isn't happening if we haven't got letters at this stage.

When I got the call to ask how much notice I would need, the woman I spoke to said "I'll be honest with you, it'll be more likely you'll get a weeks notice rather then a month or even a few weeks" so it's entirely possible that we'll hear next week that we are to pack up and go on the 30th!

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭20times

LockieFF wrote: »
    When I got the call to ask how much notice I would need, the woman I spoke to said "I'll be honest with you, it'll be more likely you'll get a weeks notice rather then a month or even a few weeks" so it's entirely possible that we'll hear next week that we are to pack up and go on the 30th!

I was asked the same. She asked if I would be able to take up the position in the absence of two weeks notice, and then asked about in the absence of a weeks notice...

• Registered Users Posts: 10 LockieFF

Considering there are still PCT's going on early next week I'm wondering if it's more likely that we get word 21st for a 30th/1st start...I'm expecting a phone call to say we're going in a week and then a letter with details after that!

• Advertisement

Anyone who's done their pct fancy sharing how helpful they are at the sit ups ?
    How much do they weigh your ankles down? Was anyone short by the minute or slightly over the minute ?
    Bricking it haha

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mickaleen

Was onto HR recently and was told they are still aiming for start date 1st of December and are hoping to have offers out by the end of next week, depending on how the PCT's go next Monday/Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Chirper

mickaleen wrote: »
    Was onto HR recently and was told they are still aiming for start date 1st of December and are hoping to have offers out by the end of next week, depending on how the PCT's go next Monday/Tuesday.

That means all we're going to get is one weeks notice. That going to be tricky for a lot of people im sure.

How much do they weigh your ankles down? Was anyone short by the minute or slightly over the minute ?
    Bricking it haha

They stood on my toes. They give you encouragement. They want you to pass but they're strict on the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Lojak

Chirper wrote: »
    That means all we're going to get is one weeks notice. That going to be tricky for a lot of people im sure.

I know I will be jumping at the chance after waiting this long, Id say most people would be the same at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Chirper

Lojak wrote: »
    I know I will be jumping at the chance after waiting this long, Id say most people would be the same at this stage.

Thats not what im saying. Its just that people who are in long term employment will find it difficult only being able to give one weeks notice to their employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mickaleen

Thats not what im saying. Its just that people who are in long term employment will find it difficult only being able to give one weeks notice to their employer.
    I think that's why they rang around asking people would they be willing to go at a week or two notice. Sure anyway, we will cross that bridge when we come to it. Mightn't even happen yet either.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Lojak

Ah ye I know what you mean, anyone in that situation should probably inform their employers of the possibility of short notice , especially anyone that has been contacted by hrm as they will be in the batch before christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Bish

They will hold ur feet fairly well which is a big help. My advice will be to do ten a day between now and ur Pct and concentrate on your technique. When you sit up, breathe out. Breathe in on ur way down. Makes a huge difference .
    Bricking it haha

eroc79 wrote: »
    They stood on my toes. They give you encouragement. They want you to pass but they're strict on the time.

Thanks , how are they for push up form and such?
    Elbow bend sideways or do they want your elbows going parallel to your body?
    Straight back? Chest fist height off the ground ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement