Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 5

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭BluesAndThrees

Thanks , how are they for push up form and such?
    Elbow bend sideways or do they want your elbows going parallel to your body?
    Straight back? Chest fist height off the ground ?

I generally struggle with them but did my required amount (just about- struggled the last 2 badly). My form wouldn't have been excellent but once you're within reason of a general form I'd say you'll be fine. I found it beneficial to horse through them as quickly as I could manage. Taking it easy takes longer and puts more strain on me personally. Worth considering

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭eroc79

Thanks , how are they for push up form and such?
    Elbow bend sideways or do they want your elbows going parallel to your body?
    Straight back? Chest fist height off the ground ?

I know one guy didn't make it because he couldn't extend his arms fully towards the end. If you fail on sit ups or push ups you'll have to come back and re do the entire morning session again including beep test

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Stephengriffin

eroc79 wrote: »
    I know one guy didn't make it because he couldn't extend his arms fully towards the end. If you fail on sit ups or push ups you'll have to come back and re do the entire morning session again including beep test

I'm presuming you don't get to re try that day, it's a case of coming back months later ??
    I can knock out the 25 push ups, I'm over thinking the living daylights out of it but I'd be done for my hips being too low, or elbows not having the correct position ...

I generally struggle with them but did my required amount (just about- struggled the last 2 badly). My form wouldn't have been excellent but once you're within reason of a general form I'd say you'll be fine. I found it beneficial to horse through them as quickly as I could manage. Taking it easy takes longer and puts more strain on me personally. Worth considering

I hit the 90 degree arm bend no bother, just wondering how they want your hands / elbows ..

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Lojak

I hit the 90 degree arm bend no bother, just wondering how they want your hands / elbows ..

Once you hit 90 degree arm bend thats all they want, they werent bothered with anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ShodenMcClane

They show you a "correct" one before you start and then they ask you to get into position and the lady I had advised me to move my arms wider to make it easier for myself. They are really helpful but strict on the 90 degree thing.

Lojak wrote: »
    Once you hit 90 degree arm bend thats all they want, they werent bothered with anything else.

Ha, snap.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 WillOR

Ah ye I know what you mean, anyone in that situation should probably inform their employers of the possibility of short notice , especially anyone that has been contacted by hrm as they will be in the batch before christmas.

I'm thinking of handing in my notice tomorrow just so I am covered and have the two weeks notice given.
    I just hope that once I gove in my notice they dont delete the recruitment by like 6 months =S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭20times

Latest rumour I heard for the next class is 29 Dec, so wouldn't jump the gun yet

20times wrote: »
    Latest rumour I heard for the next class is 29 Dec, so wouldn't jump the gun yet

Ah ****, where did you hear this?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Tmanb

Heard they're looking for the first week in December yesterday at my medical from hr
    They gave me the physical on Monday theyre is definitely a push on as I only got 5 day notice for physical

Ah ****, where did you hear this?

I know yeah, be a disaster. Serving member. I'm taking it with a pinch of salt though, the rumour mill is in overdrive so hoping it turns out to be false!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

I wonder how many are doing the PCT next week because obviously it would appear HRM are waiting for them to be over before they offer places , so they must have to pull from group 2 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭higglepiggle

3fullback wrote: »
    I wonder how many are doing the PCT next week because obviously it would appear HRM are waiting for them to be over before they offer places , so they must have to pull from group 2 ?

Yeah I would imagine they have to wait on results from the next batch of PCT's to see if they can fill a class!

• Advertisement

I would doubt they would bring us in on the 29th for an induction week when it would be split up by new years and new years eve???

I would doubt they would bring us in on the 29th for an induction week when it would be split up by new years and new years eve???

I don't know about the 29th but I'd say it would be a purely political move to have another class before the end of the year.

I don't know about the 29th but I'd say it would be a purely political move to have another class before the end of the year.

I speculated months back that they'd pull a political stunt like that just to say they got another class in in 2014. Never know. Please God it'll be Dec 1st! !!

Is there PCTs on everyday next week ?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mickaleen

As far as I am aware Tuesday is the last day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Tmanb

Not necessarily I know lads who have passed everything in June like myself just had delayed vetting so there is still people from group 1 in the running

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Bridel

Only got the invitation for the open day yesterday for this Saturday not really a lot of notice. But can't make it then. Do they take note of who comes? Is it really necessary to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭TooLate

Bridel wrote: »
    Only got the invitation for the open day yesterday for this Saturday not really a lot of notice. But can't make it then. Do they take note of who comes? Is it really necessary to go?

No no names taken....they just go through the obstacle course and beep test and push pull machine, only real benefit is you get a go on the push pull machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭BluesAndThrees

Exactly. I'm in the same boat myself. Hoping to squeeze through the vetting by then
    Tmanb wrote: »
    Not necessarily I know lads who have passed everything in June like myself just had delayed vetting so there is still people from group 1 in the running

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Blaireness

We're hearing the 1st around the college as the date to start still. New instructors began this week also.

Blaireness wrote: »
    We're hearing the 1st around the college as the date to start still. New instructors began this week also.

Hopefully offers go out next week so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3 IsoKineticHell

Long time lurker, first time posting!

I attended the open day in Templemore today and could only manage 22kg on the push pull. PCT scheduled for this coming Tuesday; does anyone have an idea when the repeat PCTs will be held in the (very likely) event that I fail the push/pull on Tuesday? Just worried that I'll miss out on the December & January intakes. Raging with myself.

Many thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ann.lewis

I attended the open day in Templemore today and could only manage 22kg on the push pull. PCT scheduled for this coming Tuesday; does anyone have an idea when the repeat PCTs will be held in the (very likely) event that I fail the push/pull on Tuesday? Just worried that I'll miss out on the December & January intakes. Raging with myself.

Many thanks!

Heya.
    if you do the obstacle course in under the 3mins you compensate 10% on the push pull so you will only need to push/pull 22.5kgs.

When you stand on the black platform, make sure your stance is wide and you are able to lean in on the leg opposite to the way you are going.. its not fully about strenght, its about technique.
    So, if you are pushing forward you will be standing on your back leg to push and when pulling back you'll be pushing from your front leg.

Keep working on your push ups cause they will help build up your arms and shoulders.

ann.lewis wrote: »
    Heya.
    if you do the obstacle course in under the 3mins you compensate 10% on the push pull so you will only need to push/pull 22.5kgs.

When you stand on the black platform, make sure your stance is wide and you are able to lean in on the leg opposite to the way you are going.. its not fully about strenght, its about technique.
    So, if you are pushing forward you will be standing on your back leg to push and when pulling back you'll be pushing from your front leg.

Keep working on your push ups cause they will help build up your arms and shoulders.

Thanks for the tips on technique Ann. The wide stance is difficult because I'm just under 5'4 and the wider my stance is, the higher the bar sits. I had three attempts today and just couldn't push past the 22kg. But you never know, might pull it off on the day!! I should go to mass tomorrow and ask for divine intervention :-) Will continue to work on the push-ups.

Were you very tired after the obstacle course or is it an advantage to go in to the push/pull straight after with the blood pumping?

Thanks for the tips on technique Ann. The wide stance is difficult because I'm just under 5'4 and the wider my stance is, the higher the bar sits. I had three attempts today and just couldn't push past the 22kg. But you never know, might pull it off on the day!! I should go to mass tomorrow and ask for divine intervention :-) Will continue to work on the push-ups.

Were you very tired after the obstacle course or is it an advantage to go in to the push/pull straight after with the blood pumping?

I know the feeling.. I'm 5'3 and the handle was coming up over my head almost lol and twisting but i kept giving it welly. When you're doing it on tuesday just make sure you're comfortable as you can be before you say you're ready and before the 3,2,1 go, cause thats you then.

I was breathless a little but not really tired. Probably best to have the blood pumping cause you'll have adrenaline running through you. It'll be different on the day too. You'll be on a high knowing you are almost there and this is what you have worked so hard for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Everytime

Many thanks!

We need you in there. You're a beaut.. Get on the protein fairly lively and you'll fly it (Y)

Thanks lads, very good advice! Will take yer tips on board. No one but myself to blame if I don't manage it. Roll on Tuesday!

Thanks lads, very good advice! Will take yer tips on board. No one but myself to blame if I don't manage it. Roll on Tuesday!

Good Luck and let us know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭StevieF3

Hey I was chatting to the instructor lady today and she said there will be more physicals around December for the January intake! Had to ask cause I prob won't be able to do the physical this month 😔

So everything's done now.. How long do we have to wait until we hear from HRM again do we think ?

Everytime wrote: »
    So everything's done now.. How long do we have to wait until we hear from HRM again do we think ?

Tomorows the last day right ? (I'm down tomorow)
    I suppose we'll know by Friday ??

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Chirper

We'll surely get some word this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭djor88

Hi, did the pct coming up on 2 weeks ago now and was called the day after it asking if id be available for 1st week December training, just wondering are people hearing whether theyre still throwing this timeframe around down there too? Cutting it very close if so! Anyone hear anything?

djor88 wrote: »
    Hi, did the pct coming up on 2 weeks ago now and was called the day after it asking if id be available for 1st week December training, just wondering are people hearing whether theyre still throwing this timeframe around down there too? Cutting it very close if so! Anyone hear anything?

I heard that that's still the case but we might only get a weeks notice...

• Advertisement

How'd everyone do today ? Was there many people up there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭IgniteFitness

If your references have been called would that mean your vetting has cleared?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭tictac__x

I don't think so, my references were contacted in June/ July and my vetting only cleared about a month ago

tictac__x wrote: »
    I don't think so, my references were contacted in June/ July and my vetting only cleared about a month ago

Any reason for your vetting being delayed ? Or has anyone here been given an excuse for delayed vetting ?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭jrobertos

tictac__x wrote: »

Mine were contacted May June time. And my vetting still not back. Been waiting 6 months. Pretty much given up on it now

jrobertos wrote: »
    Mine were contacted May June time. And my vetting still not back. Been waiting 6 months. Pretty much given up on it now

Have you done your medical , physical, met sgt and super ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭tictac__x

No I never asked for a reason, maybe because I have a relative living abroad. That's the only reason I can think of. Its very hard on people waiting since june on their vetting who have passed the medical and fitness since then. Surely they won't be much longer in returning vetting, 6 months is a very long time to wait. People are more or less putting their lives on hold in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭jrobertos

Have you done your medical , physical, met sgt and super ???

Met Sgt and super. Haven't done anything else. Total joke

Feck it, still no letter, the 30th is approaching quick.

I've heard from a very reliable source that they have the 60 in from Group 1 and are filling the remainder 40 up with people from Group 2. They're trying for the 1st of December but as the days go on they find this more unlikely but still a possibility. Should hear something by the end of the week or Monday at the latest, if not then it won't be happening on the first.

Everytime wrote: »
    I've heard from a very reliable source that they have the 60 in from Group 1 and are filling the remainder 40 up with people from Group 2. They're trying for the 1st of December but as the days go on they find this more unlikely but still a possibility. Should hear something by the end of the week or Monday at the latest, if not then it won't be happening on the first.

If this is true, out of the 240 ish that passed the interview in group 1 only 160 are being offered places so far, that's a third who didn't pass Medical/pct/fitness, didn't get their vetting back or deferred, that to me is a huge number.

• Advertisement
Advertisement