Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 5

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Blaireness

We will all be lookin at each other wondering who is who from boards haha

That was half the fun ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lesterburnham

Have my tracksuit in the wash. See yas all tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 tracey12

I've to go to the open day tomorrow just wondering do we wear our tracksuits and all down to it or just bring them in a bag to change in to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

tracey12 wrote: »
    I've to go to the open day tomorrow just wondering do we wear our tracksuits and all down to it or just bring them in a bag to change in to?

I'm wearing mine down.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Mc Garnigle

redout wrote: »
    I'm wearing mine down.

Gonna bring it in bag myself.Email said there would be changing facilities..

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭madbadger

tracey12 wrote: »

Wear it down, the whole purpose of the open day is to show you what you'll be doing for your fitness test / pct. You'll get a chance to try the obstacle course and push pull machine and you'll be shown where you're doing the beep test etc. There is changing facilities and showers available if you decide to really go for it, but more than likely you wont need them. Enjoy it, and if you have any questions about the course etc its the perfect time to ask them. Hopefully we'll see a few of ye sometime in July. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭ELJeff

Just heading up now, been up since 8am yesterday so if you see the dope in a grey and black tracksuit fall asleep mid push and pull send him back to Killaloe!

Enjoy today everyone!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Dublingirl88

Hope you all have a good day! Let us know how it goes for those of us who are headed down next Sat :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭ELJeff

Hope you all have a good day! Let us know how it goes for those of us who are headed down next Sat :)

Seems pretty ok. The shuttle run looks a lot easier to watch than to do anyway, obstacle course is extremely straightforward and push pull is very doable, just be ready put Ur body into it

• Advertisement

Just left now...lot of people seemed to have got dated for physical??

Shuttle is all about fitness - either put in the effort or forget about it.

They seem to be strict on the press-up and sit-up.

Obstacle course wasn't too bad.

Push-pull has people of shorter height at a disadvantage.

Make sure to put your all into obstacle course to get the compensation applied.

Couldn't believe it was over so quick.

Email said 1pm finish but we were out about 11:30am.

The instructor said that push-pull and shuttle are the biggest failures.

Just left now...lot of people seemed to have got dated for physical??

Yes, that was the first I heard. Speaking to a couple people down there that had already met with Superintendent that said the background must have already been complete as the Superintendent had details about family members and was questioning them on it. Perhaps explains why some people haven't been called yet i.e. Background checks not complete. I wasn't aware the background had to be complete before you went to the meeting.

Are you saying that ppl got dates for the physical before they passed the medical?!

Are you saying that ppl got dates for the physical before they passed the medical?!

Yes. They seem to be changing other things as they go. The first batch didn't hand in form B at interview like we did afaik. They returned it some days later. I believe they got rankings from stage 3 and we didn't. A few little things here and there.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭aido112

It's only a prelimary date based on you passing the medical

The instructors seemed to think the first physicals were on the 8th/9th June... But few people have theres on the 26th May... Take it these people are for the July intake??

My medical a on the 26th!?

Hey yea my medical is May 28th, i'd say those with physical dates on the 26th of May are those whose medicals are next week, so our physical will be probably 1st/2nd week of June.
    Push-pull has people of shorter height at a disadvantage.
    Really? do they not adjust the push pull to your height so it's at your own chest level? I'm 5ft 3" like.......

• Advertisement

Few lads said they are up for physical that day...my own medical is 26 th but no word from super yet even though I know they contact the guard I put on form b

Hey yea my medical is May 28th, i'd say those with physical dates on the 26th of May are those whose medicals are next week, so our physical will be probably 1st/2nd week of June.

Really? do they not adjust the push pull to your height so it's at your own chest level? I'm 5ft 3" like.......

Nope all the one height

Nope all the one height

And about what height is that, like is it going to be at or just above my shoulder height give or take.....

• Registered Users Posts: 40 conzcro

Hi lads, just regarding the medical I have mine on the 27th. At the moment my bmi is 31.5 I need to loose 5kg to get it below 30. I'm in the gym twice a day if I havnt my bmi down before the medical date could I postpone it or if I go to the medical would I automatically fail?

conzcro wrote: »
    Hi lads, just regarding the medical I have mine on the 27th. At the moment my bmi is 31.5 I need to loose 5kg to get it below 30. I'm in the gym twice a day if I havnt my bmi down before the medical date could I postpone it or if I go to the medical would I automatically fail?

Well I'd imagine if you are on the higher side of BMI due to muscle weight they would take that into consideration, i mean most of the irish rugby team have bmi's that would be considered overweight, if not i dont think you can delay the medical but you have the guts of 3 weeks to lose the 5kg which is doable by just getting loads of cardio in everyday and watching the food you are eating, processed foods always have added extras so even just do your own simply stir fry with rice every night - boring as hell yes but i'm sure you dont want that 5kg to keep you from templemore! I myself have lost a stone since december and in the past 4 weeks lost 1.8% body fat so dont lose faith you can make it by the 27th!!

No adjustment. Some of the girls today literally had the handles at head height.

• Advertisement

And about what height is that, like is it going to be at or just above my shoulder height give or take.....

Probably around that yes

How much of a give do you think we have on bmi!!!!! I'm 32 but I'm not obese! I play rugby and do karate!!!!!!! I'm heavier then I look!!!! Should I be starvin my self just to get down!!!???? Like if it's based merely on the bmi calculations I'm screwed!!!!!!

How much of a give do you think we have on bmi!!!!! I'm 32 but I'm not obese! I play rugby and do karate!!!!!!! I'm heavier then I look!!!! Should I be starvin my self just to get down!!!???? Like if it's based merely on the bmi calculations I'm screwed!!!!!!

If it is muscle then grand - fat and it's bye-bye.

When you look at the amount of obese and unfit Gardai about the whole system seems as joke. I would wager over 50% of current serving Gardai wouldn't pass the PCT or medical. If they are going to have these requirements for admission then surely they should remain in place throughout your career such as in the army etc.

Would really love to get in in July now..this waiting is killing me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

If it is muscle then grand - fat and it's bye-bye.

When you look at the amount of obese and unfit Gardai about the whole system seems as joke. I would wager over 50% of current serving Gardai wouldn't pass the PCT or medical. If they are going to have these requirements for admission then surely they should remain in place throughout your career such as in the army etc.

That's fine, as long as we get the same time and facilities to train like they do in army etc.

• Advertisement

Bloodwing wrote: »
    That's fine, as long as we get the same time and facilities to train like they do in army etc.

Keeping fit is a lifestyle choice. It shouldn't have to be up to your employer to provide facilities though they would obviously help. Some stations have gyms though most do not.

If fitness testing became mandatory then I agree that they should provide time and facilities.

Costs nothing to go for a run. 20mins every second day. I know Gardai who are obese and Gardai that are fit and with families.

If you buy crap in spar, fast food etc. every shift instead of making something healthy to bring with you then as I said its a choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

Keeping fit is a lifestyle choice. It shouldn't have to be up to your employer to provide facilities though they would obviously help. Some stations have gyms though most do not.

If fitness testing became mandatory then I agree that they should provide time and facilities.

Costs nothing to go for a run. 20mins every second day. I know Gardai who are obese and Gardai that are fit and with families.

If you buy crap in spar, fast food etc. every shift instead of making something healthy to bring with you then as I said its a choice.

I'm well aware it's a lifestyle choice. The gyms in stations are equipped and paid for by the members not the job.

Physical fitness is not by any means the most important attribute of being a guard. I'd rather have an overweight lad with some cop on sitting beside me than Mr Muscle who doesn't know when to shut his mouth.

You'd be surprised at how hard it can be to find time for a 20 min run or to sit down and eat when you're refused a break in a 10 hour shift because it's so busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 thornthorn

The instructors seemed to think the first physicals were on the 8th/9th June... But few people have theres on the 26th May... Take it these people are for the July intake??

Yeah I got an email on Friday saying that subject to passing the medical and the number of successful candidates, the PCT will be on the 26th. There must be two then if people have their medical after or on the date. I've my medical on Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 AndyZ

Anyone wearing glasses had their medical yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lesterburnham

Bloodwing wrote: »
    I'm well aware it's a lifestyle choice. The gyms in stations are equipped and paid for by the members not the job.

Physical fitness is not by any means the most important attribute of being a guard. I'd rather have an overweight lad with some cop on sitting beside me than Mr Muscle who doesn't know when to shut his mouth.

You'd be surprised at how hard it can be to find time for a 20 min run or to sit down and eat when you're refused a break in a 10 hour shift because it's so busy.

In a lot of situations the Gardai have to deal with, physical fitness is one of the most important attributes of a Garda. I'd much prefer a "Mr Muscle" colleague than an unfit overweight one while dealing with aggressive drunks. There will be a lot of situations where the use of physical force will be the only resort and a an unfit Garda is a liability to other members. Its a physical job so I'd prefer fitness testing throughout my career.

thornthorn wrote: »
    Yeah I got an email on Friday saying that subject to passing the medical and the number of successful candidates, the PCT will be on the 26th. There must be two then if people have their medical after or on the date. I've my medical on Thursday.

My medical is on the 21st..Guess if you and others are in on the 26th ye are for the July intake

Anyone else get fitness test dates!?! Who's got their medical this week!?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Blaireness

It's tough enough if you're short. I'm 5'4 and found it to be one of the things i was most nervous about. It is doable though. Just put everything you have into it for the short time you have to and try and do the circuit in under 3 mins. Also, use your legs to do the work, have a broad stable base on the machine.

Best of luck x

This thread is dying a slow death!!!!

This thread is dying a slow death!!!!

I imagine it'll pick up when people have done their medical and physical :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 jarvisk12

I still haven't heard anything about meeting the super, Are many people in the same boat?

jarvisk12 wrote: »
    I still haven't heard anything about meeting the super, Are many people in the same boat?

Yeah same here.. Even though I have my medical date, was in temple more last Saturday and know a sergeant from the station contacted the Garda I had on form b

Yeah same here.. Even though I have my medical date, was in temple more last Saturday and know a sergeant from the station contacted the Garda I had on form b
    I'm sure it will all happen soon!!!!!!! Did everyone get themselves a date for physical?!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jarvisk12

I'm sure it will all happen soon!!!!!!! Did everyone get themselves a date for physical?!

No physical date yet for me

No no date yet

Yeah me neither!!!!! Anyone know if that beep test is difficult!? Like the level it goes up to!? Never done one before

Havent done won since school but would be quite fit so thought it would be easy..Looking at the people who tried it out last Saturday at the open day it might not be as easy as I thought so will have to do a bit of work

Havent done won since school but would be quite fit so thought it would be easy..Looking at the people who tried it out last Saturday at the open day it might not be as easy as I thought so will have to do a bit of work
    ah nice..... I love when stuff is harder then we expected!!!! *sarcastic

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Magic11

Have my medical at 10am! Excited now! Physical stage is 26th may then! Many others called for that day?

• Advertisement

Yeah me neither!!!!! Anyone know if that beep test is difficult!? Like the level it goes up to!? Never done one before

It's not too difficult at the levels we're supposed to complete, unless you've been sitting on a couch for pas 5 years :) It is a bit tricky though, especially if you've never done it before, so I'd suggest you run it a few times before the actual test to get the idea. There's a number of free apps for iPhone/Android that you can download and give it a go. (Make sure you measure 20m accurately!)

Advertisement