Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 5

Comments

Magic11 wrote:
    Have my medical at 10am! Excited now! Physical stage is 26th may then! Many others called for that day?
    How did the medical go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Dublingirl88

I'm headed down on Saturday for the open day, my medical is the 28th but I've heard nothing about my physical or from my local superintendent yet, but I'm fairly sure I'm in the group for October so not too surprised I've no more details yet!

It's not too difficult at the levels we're supposed to complete, unless you've been sitting on a couch for pas 5 years :) It is a bit tricky though, especially if you've never done it before, so I'd suggest you run it a few times before the actual test to get the idea. There's a number of free apps for iPhone/Android that you can download and give it a go. (Make sure you measure 20m accurately!)

Yea im getting worried about the beep test so have downloaded one of the apps to try get prepared for it!
    No to try figure out best way to measure 20m accurately!!

Yea im getting worried about the beep test so have downloaded one of the apps to try get prepared for it!

I measured my running shoe which turned out to be exactly 30cm heel to toe :) then a bit of maths 20/0,3 and so with 66,5 shoe length I'm at to 20m mark... accurate enough and no need to carry tape measure in your pocket. :)

Twenty meters is long enough to run for that long of a beep test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 jarvisk12

I think the second line from the end line on on a GAA pitch is 20m , it is worth practicing if you've never done it before, it's not as simple as some suggest

I'm headed down on Saturday for the open day, my medical is the 28th but I've heard nothing about my physical or from my local superintendent yet, but I'm fairly sure I'm in the group for October so not too surprised I've no more details yet!
    So are the late medicals the October batch your thinkin!?

Well I placed 553, so taking away the 300 already gone that puts me at 253, they are sending 125 in July and 125 in October, so I'm definitely not in the running for the July intake unless a serious number of people have delays in their vetting or don't make it through the medical/physical.

I think we just gotta play the waiting game once more!!!(and for what is hopefully the last time!)

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jwm85

Well I placed 553, so taking away the 300 already gone that puts me at 253, they are sending 125 in July and 125 in October, so I'm definitely not in the running for the July intake unless a serious number of people have delays in their vetting or don't make it through the medical/physical.

I think we just gotta play the waiting game once more!!!(and for what is hopefully the last time!)

They're taking from 451 so that actually makes you 102 but I think there are a few left over from last round.

Well if that's the case then great October is very far away!! but I do remember a poster saying before about 80 from the last round are still possibly in the running so it's hard to say if I may just make the July cut.... so not gonna get my hopes up just in case!

• Advertisement

Well if that's the case then great October is very far away!! but I do remember a poster saying before about 80 from the last round are still possibly in the running so it's hard to say if I may just make the July cut.... so not gonna get my hopes up just in case!
    I was said poster! I was told the amount interviewed didn't cover the quota needed and 80 ppl from the last drive were still hanging around!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Mc Garnigle

Has it been confirmed that there will be a October batch??

Has it been confirmed that there will be a October batch??
    Seems like everyone is sayin so!!!!!!! I'd love if they took a heap load in July

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kev-bt

Seems like everyone is sayin so!!!!!!! I'd love if they took a heap load in July

I've been told it will be 125 in July and 125 in later batch (supposedly October). July batch cannot go in until second group in the college pass out and leave as the college wouldn't fit them.

They college is only going having 250 students at any one time because when the 300 were in it up until the first 99 passed out there wasn't enough space in the college are students had to move to B & B's.

Therefore if there is a batch going in in July and October they wont be another one until March/April 2016. Thats what I've heard anyway so do all you can to make sure you get through medical and fitness because a deferral could make you miss these intakes.

Bleep test is not as easy as it looks, you will be fine if you practice it but don't let it fool you, long distance running is completely different if anyone is basing their fitness on that. The day I did it I couldn't get over how many people were asking how it worked and that they had never done it before.

kev-bt wrote: »
    I've been told it will be 125 in July and 125 in later batch (supposedly October). July batch cannot go in until second group in the college pass out and leave as the college wouldn't fit them.

They college is only going having 250 students at any one time because when the 300 were in it up until the first 99 passed out there wasn't enough space in the college are students had to move to B & B's.

Therefore if there is a batch going in in July and October they wont be another one until March/April 2016. Thats what I've heard anyway so do all you can to make sure you get through medical and fitness because a deferral could make you miss these intakes.

yeah heard something like that myself just have this fear I wont be in the July batch (which seems unlikely now) and will be forgotten about for months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭ELJeff

Off to get my laser eye surgery done I guess! Seemed to be quite a few failing on that according to the doc

What I'll say and what I'll be doin regardless of where I placed....... Is tryin o get in for July!!!! I'll be doin everything I can!!!!!!!!

ELJeff wrote: »
    Off to get my laser eye surgery done I guess! Seemed to be quite a few failing on that according to the doc

Once you get that sorted are you good to go? What else was involved in the medical ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭ELJeff

jarvisk12 wrote: »
    Once you get that sorted are you good to go? What else was involved in the medical ?

Yep, they just require a letter from the place I get it done six weeks after its done. They check height weight body fat, urine sample, hearing, colour blindness, looked inside my mouth, listenend to breathing and checked for hernias.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jwm85

ELJeff wrote: »
    Yep, they just require a letter from the place I get it done six weeks after its done. They check height weight body fat, urine sample, hearing, colour blindness, looked inside my mouth, listenend to breathing and checked for hernias.

as far as I know they can't fail you if you don't pass the colourblind test

• Advertisement

jwm85 wrote:
    as far as I know they can't fail you if you don't pass the colourblind test
    Yeah but you'd wonder if all was neck and neck wit another recruit... Would it affect it then!?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭aido112

Them sit ups are no joke!! Any advise?? Hitting 28 in the minute

aido112 wrote: »
    Them sit ups are no joke!! Any advise?? Hitting 28 in the minute

Keep practicing,but don't over do it, you don't want an injury, try planking to strengthen them up as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Those who did the medical this week how long did it take start to finish? Need to know how much time to take off work. Presume it couldn't be more than a couple of hours?

redout wrote: »
    Those who did the medical this week how long did it take start to finish? Need to know how much time to take off work. Presume it couldn't be more than a couple of hours?

I was in at 11 was out for 2pm I'd take the day if u can at all u don't wanna be stressing to get back to work seeing as they monitor your bp!! I was in the same position and got deferred n put on a bp monitor for 24 hours! Only got cleared today

• Registered Users Posts: 22 ansmcwilla

I was in at 11 was out for 2pm I'd take the day if u can at all u don't wanna be stressing to get back to work seeing as they monitor your bp!! I was in the same position and got deferred n put on a bp monitor for 24 hours! Only got cleared today

That's great. What date is your fitness test?

ansmcwilla wrote: »
    That's great. What date is your fitness test?

26th of may hence y I'm asking about sit ups would hate to go out now at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 48 cilldara podge

Hi folks, for those of you doing the medicals and fitness tests now, when did you complete stage 3?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

Finally medically cleared six months after the I went for the medical!

• Advertisement

Kablamo! wrote: »

How long does it normally take to get results? That's a horrible length of time to wait

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

jarvisk12 wrote: »
    How long does it normally take to get results? That's a horrible length of time to wait

I had to get laser eye surgery and also had hearing difficulties. Feels like I applied a hundred years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 thelmascanl

Kablamo! wrote: »

I was told there and then that I had passed. All going well you will know walking out of the doctors office if you passed or not.

References all contacted today - medical this week - hopefully date for the fitness test soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lesterburnham

redout wrote: »
    References all contacted today - medical this week - hopefully date for the fitness test soon.

Do you know what they asked your referees? Or how long of a chat it was?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Kerrbear92

Hi, is there anyone who has passed the medical and wears glasses that could tell me what prescription they wear just to have an idea? I'm -2.75 and hoping I don't have to get laser eye surgery. Also, am I the only one who's finding the 30 sit ups in a minute so hard?

• Advertisement

Kerrbear92 wrote: »
    Hi, is there anyone who has passed the medical and wears glasses that could tell me what prescription they wear just to have an idea? I'm -2.75 and hoping I don't have to get laser eye surgery. Also, am I the only one who's finding the 30 sit ups in a minute so hard?

I'm -1.5 and I got thru no problem. I'm struggling with sit ups too but slowly improving with practice

Thanks :) I wonder what prescription the ones that got laser eye surgery have? I was practising the sit ups last week but need to start again. Thinking I should learn how to do 15 properly then build it up!

Thanks :) I wonder what prescription the ones that got laser eye surgery have? I was practising the sit ups last week but need to start again. Thinking I should learn how to do 15 properly then build it up!

Not sure if there's a prescription cut off point as such but u should be fine. Just keep plugging away at the sit ups you will get there. U improve quickly when u stick at them

Not sure if there's a prescription cut off point as such but u should be fine. Just keep plugging away at the sit ups you will get there. U improve quickly when u stick at them

Hope you don't mind me asking but have you done the fitness test yet or even got a date for it? I'm over in London and heard that if you pass the medical the fitness test would be 10 days after, not great notice for flights and work but if I got to that stage I'd be delighted!

Hope you don't mind me asking but have you done the fitness test yet or even got a date for it? I'm over in London and heard that if you pass the medical the fitness test would be 10 days after, not great notice for flights and work but if I got to that stage I'd be delighted!

I'm up this day next week

• Advertisement

I'm up this day next week

Well best of luck! I've my medical this day week 👍🏻

Last Saturday during the information day lads in Templemore said the physical tests start on 26th May and then every Tuesday for the following 4 or 5 weeks.

Do you know what they asked your referees? Or how long of a chat it was?

Basically asked "do you recommend x?", describe them and about your employment etc. pretty standard stuff.

Anyone have any recommendations as to what I can do to improve for the push/pull machine. Got 23kgs at the open day which i know will be ok for compensation but would like to be more sure going in.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Hank26

Anyone have any recommendations as to what I can do to improve for the push/pull machine. Got 23kgs at the open day which i know will be ok for compensation but would like to be more sure going in.

Place one foot in front and the other slightly behind, as if you're doing a calf stretch. It's important to get good leg positioning as you should be mostly using your legs for pushing and pulling.
    Stand close to the handlebars but not too close as you don't want to be leaning back too much with your back to reach the rear sensor.
    You should be pushing as much as possible by leaning forward on your legs then push with your upper body, then lean back with legs and pull with upper body.
    Press ups will help with the upper body push part and if you attend a gym the horizontal lat pull machine should help with the pull part.
    Finally just go for it, it's the last part of the fitness test, so leave nothing behind.
    Good luck

Medical tomorrow .If you pass are you given a date for Physical there and then??

I did my medical last friday and still have no date. Was told they would email me with the date.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 thornthorn

I had my medical on Thursday and was told I'd passed at the time. They emailed me the next day with the PCT date.

My medical is tomorrow week, I got 20kg on the push pull last sat on my second shot at it i found technique was a big factor for me anyway as I'm 5ft3, but I'll def be hitting the weights in the gym even harder so I pass the test... I know I'll do the obstacle in less than 3 mins so thankfully I'll get the 10% compensation!
    Getting ansty waiting around now though!

My medical is tomorrow week, I got 20kg on the push pull last sat on my second shot at it i found technique was a big factor for me anyway as I'm 5ft3, but I'll def be hitting the weights in the gym even harder so I pass the test... I know I'll do the obstacle in less than 3 mins so thankfully I'll get the 10% compensation!
    Getting ansty waiting around now though!

I missed the opens day sadly but what is the 10% compensation?

Like say you hit the mark with everything and then don't quite reach the standard for the push pull do they pass ya?

• Advertisement
Advertisement