Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 5

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Killinator

Kerrbear92 wrote: »
    Hi, can anyone recommend a laser eye surgery clinic? Passed everything on the medical but my eye sight...absolutely heartbroken on the day but I'm not out of it yet! Seen someone comment before saying they had it done and wanted some advice on it. Thanks!

My brother was the same last year. He used Optilase in Cork. It was expensive enough but he's in Templemore right now and he can't speak highly enough about getting them done.

AndyZ wrote: »
    Oh I am trying alright,have 20 meters measured out on my driveway and all...and even joined the gym...again...

... and the "Eye of the Tiger" tune on the headphones :D "Rocky" mode: ON :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15 AndyZ

... and the "Eye of the Tiger" tune on the headphones :D "Rocky" mode: ON :D

You're damn right it is...lol

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Kerrbear92

Killinator wrote: »
    My brother was the same last year. He used Optilase in Cork. It was expensive enough but he's in Templemore right now and he can't speak highly enough about getting them done.

Thanks! I've a consultation with optical express in London this weekend but I know optilase have a few stores in Ireland that ill try too when I get home! Was his eye sight bad? I'm scared that they will tell me its going to cost €5000 or something :/

Thanks! I've a consultation with optical express in London this weekend but I know optilase have a few stores in Ireland that ill try too when I get home! Was his eye sight bad? I'm scared that they will tell me its going to cost €5000 or something :/

When he originally failed his medical he was told it was very close but it was just below what was needed.
    Not sure of the exacts details I'm aafraid, I think he paid over 3,000 but less than 4,000

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭aido112

I got a consultation with optilise in cork and they were doing it for 2990. Heavy investment but I'm sure if its what you want it will be worth it

Killinator wrote: »
    When he originally failed his medical he was told it was very close but it was just below what was needed.
    Not sure of the exacts details I'm aafraid, I think he paid over 3,000 but less than 4,000

Just want to amend this, I asked him and he paid 2,400 with optilase.

Cheers guys! Think I spent most of yesterday entering into free laser eye surgery competitions but i'll hopefully get in done before the end of july and maybe if im lucky enough have a chance at the October intake! Got a call asking to meet the super and sure they had no idea I'm living in London or been deferred after the medical...talk about adding some salt to my wound haha! It'll be all worth it if I get it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭ELJeff

Cheers guys! Think I spent most of yesterday entering into free laser eye surgery competitions but i'll hopefully get in done before the end of july and maybe if im lucky enough have a chance at the October intake! Got a call asking to meet the super and sure they had no idea I'm living in London or been deferred after the medical...talk about adding some salt to my wound haha! It'll be all worth it if I get it :D

I was deferred on eyesight as well, have an appointment in the Wellington clinic in two weeks, fair annoying having to leave contacts out for two weeks :/

• Registered Users Posts: 40 conzcro

Had my medical on Wednesday and passed just wondering how long until the pct takes place or when will we get an email about it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 AndyZ

conzcro wrote: »
    Had my medical on Wednesday and passed just wondering how long until the pct takes place or when will we get an email about it?

Good few of us playing this waiting game i'm afraid, but hopefully we'll have some news soon...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

Hi, can anyone recommend a laser eye surgery clinic? Passed everything on the medical but my eye sight...absolutely heartbroken on the day but I'm not out of it yet! Seen someone comment before saying they had it done and wanted some advice on it. Thanks!

I had it done in Optlilase for the same reasons as you. PM me if you have any questions or that about it.

Kablamo! wrote: »
    I had it done in Optlilase for the same reasons as you. PM me if you have any questions or that about it.

From what people are saying optilase is a lot cheaper than what I got quoted from optical express 😮 ! Time to move home to Ireland 👍🏻

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭SniperSight

Hey guys, for anyone that needs to get eye surgery, Optilase will give you €100 off the cost if you go to them with a referral from someone who's already got it done with them. I had my eyes lasered last year by them for my own progression into the college (which paid off :-D). Send me a PM and I'll gladly give you my details as a referral.
    Good luck!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Hey guys, Fitness test on the 9th and am really struggling with the push ups. Anyone got any tips as to what i can be doing to improve them? (e.g gym workouts that are particularly good for it or anything like that?)

Have you made any progress? If so, what method did you employ? Struggling myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 upmayo2015

Best of luck to all doing fitness today... Anyone waiting on a date have Ye heard yet??

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Mcnulty101

upmayo2015 wrote: »
    Best of luck to all doing fitness today... Anyone waiting on a date have Ye heard yet??

Stll waiting on a date for the PCT, almost two weeks since I passed the medical!

Mcnulty101 wrote: »
    Stll waiting on a date for the PCT, almost two weeks since I passed the medical!

Really ? Have you phoned HRM

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Mcnulty101

Really ? Have you phoned HRM

Yeah I emailed them last week, they just said they were waiting to have a full date scheduled...it's dragging at this stage!

• Advertisement

Mcnulty101 wrote: »
    Yeah I emailed them last week, they just said they were waiting to have a full date scheduled...it's dragging at this stage!

I'm waiting too. Maybe we will hear this week. Some people have date for June 9th maybe this is full!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭Turbo T

No fitness tests today lad. Next Tuesday ðŸ‘

Is there def a July class?? Have all stages completed and my employer is seriously getting on my back for a finish date

I'm waiting too. Maybe we will hear this week. Some people have date for June 9th maybe this is full!

Maybe..... I'd say their waitin to get the numbers up for each day that they have!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jarvisk12

Are the medicals still on going? Still no word on PCT and my references havent been contacted as of yet, you'd want the patience of a saint

Medicals were finished yesterday!!!!!! I heard that the physicals are gonna be finished the 16th of his month!!!!!!! So that's like two weeks for anybody wondering!!!!! Tbh even if you pass the physical they could leave ta waitin till October!!!! Like they have no obligation to place anyone at any stage!!!!! So keep your patience!!! We're all in the same boat!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Dublingirl88

Passed medical last Thursday, references were checked last Thursday and meeting with the super tomorrow... So of course I'm checking my emails every 5 mins for word on the PCT...

Has anyone phoned HRM about it? They must have enough people if they not calling us forward?

😩😩😩😩😳😳😳😳

😩😩😩😩😳😳😳😳

Have you heard anything new?

Have you heard anything new?

Have my pct on tuesday

• Advertisement

No guys. When did you hear about next tues??? Maybe it's all for luck. Have a pretty bad cold and can't breathe when running :(

Have my pct on tuesday

Best of luck ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

I have mine on Tuesday week, do you think there is any leeway on the dates, I'm at a wedding abroad, are appointments contactable by phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

jarvisk12 wrote: »
    I have mine on Tuesday week, do you think there is any leeway on the dates, I'm at a wedding abroad, are appointments contactable by phone?

You're better off contacting them through email. I think the 16th is the last date for this batch of physicals though.

Kablamo! wrote: »
    You're better off contacting them through email. I think the 16th is the last date for this batch of physicals though.

I got on to them, they replied straight away, have me a date the following week, delighted,hope everyone's training is going well

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jwm85

All contact details are in the email you received about the date for PCT. Maybe phone them. I emailed them confirming my attendance for PCT, TWICE, and they said they never got it.

Struggling with the sit ups. I can do the 30 something no problem, it's just doing them in the minute! Also my back cracks around 3 times on the way back down every time! The push ups are fine. It's amazing how many extra you can do once you start doing them everyday.

I got on to them, they replied straight away, have me a date the following week, delighted,hope everyone's training is going well

So what date is your physical?

Rang appointments today and was told my physical is on the 23rd of June.

So what date is your physical?

23rd,can't wait to get it done

• Advertisement

I called just now and they said they're currently organising the physical dates and they'd get back to me.

So you won't automatically get a date if you call them.

Does anyone know when the tests are finishing up?

Hey I rang yesterday and the 23rd is the last day for now, I was told about 180 people were looking for one of the June dates so all we can do is wait til the college give HRM more pct dates and then we'll hear something... HRM won't know anymore until the college give them more dates and if the July class is filled then they may wait a while before bringing more down for the PCT...

Hey I rang yesterday and the 23rd is the last day for now, I was told about 180 people were looking for one of the June dates so all we can do is wait til the college give HRM more pct dates and then we'll hear something... HRM won't know anymore until the college give them more dates and if the July class is filled then they may wait a while before bringing more down for the PCT...

So by that I take it the July class isn't full?? I passed the pct 3 weeks ago this coming Tuesday and ain't heard anything. Getting worried I won't get July class :(

aido112 wrote: »
    So by that I take it the July class isn't full?? I passed the pct 3 weeks ago this coming Tuesday and ain't heard anything. Getting worried I won't get July class :(

Few weeks back my local sergeant said it wasn't full and they'll probably only issue offers after they have their numbers, I remember a poster on here saying offers usually go out a month before,so sit tight you've a good chance of making the July intake :)

Just got word on my medical for next Tuesday 👍👍 bring it on

Anyone headin Down for pct tomorrow!?

Anyone headin Down for pct tomorrow!?

Yupp. Was up early this morning doing the Beep test and sit ups and push ups! Just need to really push tomorrow and pull it out of the bag!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lesterburnham

I'm heading down tomorrow as well. Does anyone know how the day is spread out? I'd want to get it over with pretty quickly.

• Advertisement

jwm85 wrote: »
    Yupp. Was up early this morning doing the Beep test and sit ups and push ups! Just need to really push tomorrow and pull it out of the bag!

I didn't do anything today!!!!! Afraid to pull a muscle hahaha!!!!!!! Yeah sure we will all have to help encourage each other!!!!!!

Advertisement