Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 5

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

carzony wrote: »
    and I'm sure you can fail at this point aswell? in other words you'll need his approval?

Very rare for a Super/Sgt to object to a candidate. If he does not agree with the interview board, he must write a report explaining why.

Also, @Santa Cruz, this was always thought to be an informal affair where smart casual was the most appropriate dress. Would a suit not be a bit overkill?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭fitzzbill

Ron DMC wrote: »
    I'm on the 17th as well. :)

U in top 100? Probably how quick vetting comes back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

fitzzbill wrote: »
    U in top 100? Probably how quick vetting comes back
    Yup. in the seventies.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭cycleoin86

I'm in the top 15 - no call for medical, don't know what to make of it

Also are people getting contacted by the inspector from their local station?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ShodenMcClane

cycleoin86 wrote: »
    I'm in the top 15 - no call for medical, don't know what to make of it

Based on who's being called up and who isn't it seems to me that people are being called based on background checks and probably that delay with PAS on verifying academic results.

This is just me speculating though.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭timwynne

carzony wrote: »
    and I'm sure you can fail at this point aswell? in other words you'll need his approval?

you will need a favourable recommendation

his/her report will be based on your character in conjunction with background checks made at a local level

you should be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Becca22

I only sent up my official statement of leaving cert results today and I already have my medical!
    Got a call from the local Sergeant today too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Rothmans wrote: »
    Very rare for a Super/Sgt to object to a candidate. If he does not agree with the interview board, he must write a report explaining why.

Also, @Santa Cruz, this was always thought to be an informal affair where smart casual was the most appropriate dress. Would a suit not be a bit overkill?

I understand your point particularly if arriving in on a hot day (some chance!)
    Smart casual may be fine but I would say that either a suit or a sports jacket/slacks and tie would be appropriate. Munster jersey and denims would probably be too smart casual!
    Don't be lulled in to too informal mode though. The Superintendent will have read your file and his opinion will matter. If from a provincial town he will have an idea of your background. If you are involved in local activities e.g GAA Rugby other organisations he may even have made a few enquiries about you.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭misshopeful1

Hey Guys, I know a lot of people are constantly on here looking for updates and info (as i have been!) so... I was up in Templemore today. I also got my email for my medical this afternoon - June 20th is the date i was given and confirmed (hopefully that won't change again as some people have experienced). The local sergeant also rang this afternoon, but she was only looking for more contact details for one of my referees. She then contacted my referees. I am placed 132 and I had my interview mid May, for anyone who is trying to figure things out / still waiting to hear. I can't figure out how they're sorting things... there doesn't seem to be a trend! :-P Best of luck to everyone in their medical and fitness tests anyway :-D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭r_k.com

I had my open day today and very few girls around I was just wondering were there very little in the other days as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭misshopeful1

About 1/5 of our group today were women (myself included)

About 1/5 of our group today were women (myself included)

Even less in ours! I would have thought it would be more equal.

I'm feeling very outside the whole process al of a sudden having come outside the top 200. I'm enviously watching everyone else mention calls from their local station and dates for medicals while hearing nothing myself. I now think I understand a little bit how people in band 2 felt: Very disconnected.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭wobzilla1

I'm feeling very outside the whole process al of a sudden having come outside the top 200. I'm enviously watching everyone else mention calls from their local station and dates for medicals while hearing nothing myself. I now think I understand a little bit how people in band 2 felt: Very disconnected.

I'm the same as yourself. After stage 3 I was in the top 30 and dropped to the 200s after the interview. I did zero preparation for the interview so I expected that.

I only got the LC results back on Wednesday and have only been contacted for the open day

• Registered Users Posts: 35 HungryMantis

Got the email for medical today. 130s and interviewed start to mid may. Haven't heard from the local station yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭almeraguy

Hang in there, you passed the interview and you're on the home stretch now. You'll get your call soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭jrobertos

I'm exact same as u. Placed in 200's as well. Hope we are not just left in the dark for long time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

I also got word on the medical today. Towards the end of the second week of medicals.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Chirper

Placed in the 200's and I heard from the sergeant this morning. I wouldn't be getting too worried about it. As someone said we're in the home stretch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭Rushden

Hey Guys, I know a lot of people are constantly on here looking for updates and info (as i have been!) so... I was up in Templemore today. I also got my email for my medical this afternoon - June 20th is the date i was given and confirmed (hopefully that won't change again as some people have experienced). The local sergeant also rang this afternoon, but she was only looking for more contact details for one of my referees. She then contacted my referees. I am placed 132 and I had my interview mid May, for anyone who is trying to figure things out / still waiting to hear. I can't figure out how they're sorting things... there doesn't seem to be a trend! :-P Best of luck to everyone in their medical and fitness tests anyway :-D

Same as yourself, was in templemore today, got medical date this afternoon for June 20th and placed similar enough as you too

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭galalala123

Does anyone know the story with bmi? Is over 25 ok once you're under 30? Has anyone asked!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Chem Lord

Has anyone been given a medical date but not been contacted by their local sergeant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭higglepiggle

Chem Lord wrote: »
    Has anyone been given a medical date but not been contacted by their local sergeant?

Or the opposite way around?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭20times

Does anyone know the story with bmi? Is over 25 ok once you're under 30? Has anyone asked!

As far as im aware under 30 is fine. It lists obesity as being one of the issues for the medical, and that would mean a BMI of over 30

I've my medical early next week, no word yet from local station.

I got a medical date but no contact from seargent as of yet

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Chirper

They said that at the presentation in Dublin at stage 3 that a BMI of 30 is the cut off. They also said they would carry out fat tests for certain candidates who were over the 30. I.E. Muscular people who might register as obese but would have a very low body fat percentage.

Has anyone else who was placed in the top 100 benn given a medical date on the second week??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Hank26

I also got a date for medical today, the 19th. No word from a Garda station. Does anyone know if the interview is with your current local super or the one from where you resided most of your life?

Hank26 wrote: »
    I also got a date for medical today, the 19th. No word from a Garda station. Does anyone know if the interview is with your current local super or the one from where you resided most of your life?

Wat number in the panel were u roughly

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Hank26

fitzzbill wrote: »
    Wat number in the panel were u roughly

150's

• Registered Users Posts: 38 babybell

Just wondering if anyone else in the same boat as me.i was at open day 2day have my medical on the 13th haven't heard from my local super nd I placed outside 150

*and ye not happy bout being in on Friday 13th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

babybell wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone else in the same boat as me.i was at open day 2day have my medical on the 13th haven't heard from my local super nd I placed outside 150

Hope your not superstitious

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭tictac__x

Finished in the 60s, still no word about medical or from local station!

• Advertisement

babybell wrote: »

*and ye not happy bout being in on Friday 13th

Similar boat to you, my medical is earlier though. I wouldn't worry about not having heard from the local station.
    They could be waiting for background checks to come back before setting up the meeting.

Hank26 wrote: »

The sergeant that rang me said I was to meet him in Monday then he said I'd probably have to meet the super on Tuesday or Wednesday. Has anyone else had this?

r_k.com wrote: »
    The sergeant that rang me said I was to meet him in Monday then he said I'd probably have to meet the super on Tuesday or Wednesday. Has anyone else had this?

I havent got that call yet but I've been going over threads from previous recruitments and it looks like each district has their own process for meeting applicants. Don't be worried about it if you have two meetings. The gates of Templemore are in sight, keep her lit!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Dongaz

almeraguy wrote: »
    I havent got that call yet but I've been going over threads from previous recruitments and it looks like each district has their own process for meeting applicants. Don't be worried about it if you have two meetings. The gates of Templemore are in sight, keep her lit!

Met sgt this morning. Sgt said that big push on to get forms back to HRM within 10 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Becca22

Dongaz wrote: »
    Met sgt this morning. Sgt said that big push on to get forms back to HRM within 10 days.

What was the meeting about in general?

• Advertisement

Dongaz wrote: »

Did you suit it up for the meeting?

Unfortunately I couldn't make my slot at the open day today due to personal reasons, absolutely gutted.

I've read a few messages from people who went but there wasn't huge detail. What was said at the presentation? Am I at a big disadvantage having not gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

Unfortunately I couldn't make my slot at the open day today due to personal reasons, absolutely gutted.

I've read a few messages from people who went but there wasn't huge detail. What was said at the presentation? Am I at a big disadvantage having not gone?

you missed nothing of importance

website has all you need to know

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Dongaz

20times wrote: »
    Did you suit it up for the meeting?

No dressed smart casual, only a brief meeting regarding your form and that everything you said is true. Sgt also rang my two referees and my sgt in station that am a reserve in.

Just fantastic. What a joke, they are already operating on an absolute shoe string and now have to cut things further. Fantastic, also they are reviewing the allowances. Any chance of rent allowances coming back for us are completely gone now.

Thank god all the TDs, councillors and senators are still getting paid nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BRB

Just fantastic. What a joke, they are already operating on an absolute shoe string and now have to cut things further. Fantastic, also they are reviewing the allowances. Any chance of rent allowances coming back for us are completely gone now.

Thank god all the TDs, councillors and senators are still getting paid nicely.

Only adds to the negative rep that the force has been getting. It's gonna be a tough life for recruits

BRB wrote: »
    Only adds to the negative rep that the force has been getting. It's gonna be a tough life for recruits

Sorry if it looked otherwise but I was giving out about the last few governments there not the DoJ or the AGS.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BRB

Sorry if it looked otherwise but I was giving out about the last few governments there not the DoJ or the AGS.

I was agreeing with you and saying it gives the public yet another negative view of the force.

I'd have to disagree with scouser on this one. I found it very beneficial. Especially getting a go at the push and pull machine and the technique needed and the information they gave us on it about exerting as much force as possible. I also liked that we got to do the assault course and there were alot of parts to it I didn't think of like walking the beam and carrying a wheel. If nothing else it gave me the focus needed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement