Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 5

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭madbadger

slingerz wrote: »
    i've a rather unusual question in the event that i make it through these last few stages.

I am due to get married in July 2017 and should i get called in the near term that would be in the middle of my training time. Any ideas how this would work out? Or who is best to ask this question of?

A guy in my intake got married recently. He got three days off for the wedding. You could plan your honeymoon around one of your reading weeks or the two weeks holidays you get after attestation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

This was asked during the q&a at my stage 3. The Sergeant said that you would get time off for the wedding but he said that you would struggle to get time off for a honeymoon.
    madbadger wrote: »
    A guy in my intake got married recently. He got three days off for the wedding. You could plan your honeymoon around one of your reading weeks or the two weeks holidays you get after attestation.

Cheers folks good to know i'd get time off for the wedding and i've only got to worry about the honeymoon afterwards then. Herself wants 6 weeks in Australia/SE Asia!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭danube

Does anyone know if I will have to show my medical record at any stage? I have a back injury even though it has no impact on my physical activity. I know that for the British army you have to get a form filled out my your GP before the medical. Is there anything like this for the Gardai?

On a few occasions you are asked to provide your medical history (injuries, medication, hospitalization, etc.). If you list your injury there (which you obviously should) they might follow up on that, asking you to provide documentation or doctor's certificate or whatever. That would probably depend on how serious your injury was and when it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭danube

On a few occasions you are asked to provide your medical history (injuries, medication, hospitalization, etc.). If you list your injury there (which you obviously should) they might follow up on that, asking you to provide documentation or doctor's certificate or whatever. That would probably depend on how serious your injury was and when it happened.
    But is that a form you have to fill in? If I just say no, they won't come looking for my doctor. What I want to know is will they ask everyone's doctor for their history?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭madbadger

danube wrote: »
    But is that a form you have to fill in? If I just say no, they won't come looking for my doctor. What I want to know is will they ask everyone's doctor for their history?

The answer to your question is No. They wont ask your doctor, but if its an injury that may affect your ability to perform your job, you probably should disclose it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

As far as I know noone can legally just contact your Doctor and ask them any information about you. So it's up to you to be honest about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jwm85

madbadger wrote: »
    The answer to your question is No. They wont ask your doctor, but if its an injury that may affect your ability to perform your job, you probably should disclose it.

Here's my view on it. Don't try to hide ANYTHING. You're joining An Garda Síochána. If for whatever reason this injury affects you in any way down the line I'm sure they will be asking you why you didn't mention it on your form. You sign the form to confirm that the details you have given are true. If you can't even be honest in your application how can you be taken at your word in your job. That's just my opinion, although I'm sure there are plenty of people omitting details like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

danube wrote: »
    Does anyone know if I will have to show my medical record at any stage? I have a back injury even though it has no impact on my physical activity. I know that for the British army you have to get a form filled out my your GP before the medical. Is there anything like this for the Gardai?

If they suspect something they can request that your GP provide a medical history. I know a guy this happened to last year and he was failed after the medical history was provided. He wasn't being truthful about something but the doctor in Garda HQ obviously thought something was up after questioning / examining him. If you have scars from the likes of surgery you will be asked about them and the doctor will be looking for anything like that when you are asked to remove your shirt etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 bluebonbon

Does anyone know when the next round of fitness tests will be? I failed on my eyesight in the medical. I got laser surgery last week, but missed all the fitness test dates this round? just wondering how long I'll have to wait for the next ones??

• Registered Users Posts: 37 thelmascanl

I was supposed to have my fitness test tomorrow but had to cancel due to a shoulder injury. When I called about it they said it will probably be August before the next round.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Mc Garnigle

The last of the fitness test for this round should be today I think

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jwm85

Are there many people still waiting to do the fitness test that are inside the order of merit for the next two intakes?
    I had my fitness a few weeks ago but I was sure I would be in the October intake due to my order of merit.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭StevieF3

Many here waiting on a letter now with official start date?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mtbop

finished everything in November myself. Haven't heard a thing since. Hoping to hear something in the next 2 weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Bridel

StevieF3 wrote: »
    Many here waiting on a letter now with official start date?

Is it a letter or email were waiting for?

going on the last few classes if I can remember, its a phone call to see if we are available, followed by an email confirming class dates, followed by an offical letter.
    Am I right in saying that?

mtbop wrote: »
    going on the last few classes if I can remember, its a phone call to see if we are available, followed by an email confirming class dates, followed by an offical letter.
    Am I right in saying that?

I got the call but no email yet?

thats great news for you. Id say it will be along shortly. When did you get the call?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Dublingirl88

Passed my physical today :) absolutely thrilled :)

• Advertisement

thats great news for you. Id say it will be along shortly. When did you get the call?

Got it last week!! Have you heard anything yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭aido112

Bridel wrote: »

Got the call last week too. Lady said we would have 4 weeks notice. Monday coming is 4 weeks from start date so I would assume we will have email/letter by this Friday. Going on past classes they got the letters on a Friday could be just coincidence tho

jwm85 wrote: »
    Are there many people still waiting to do the fitness test that are inside the order of merit for the next two intakes?
    I had my fitness a few weeks ago but I was sure I would be in the October intake due to my order of merit.

Yep, I passed today and inside the oom for the next two intakes. Spoke to people in the 400/500/600s today.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 conzcro

redout wrote: »
    Yep, I passed today and inside the oom for the next two intakes. Spoke to people in the 400/500/600s today.

How high up is the order of merit going for the intakes in July ad October do you know?

conzcro wrote: »
    How high up is the order of merit going for the intakes in July ad October do you know?

It starts around 450 and then however many until they hit their quota. Take into consideration that maybe up to half a dozen fail the fitness tests each sitting and will be doing repeats so they will obviously be skipped. People are saying that 80 or so who failed fitness tests or eye surgery months ago are taking the first places this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 conzcro

redout wrote: »
    It starts around 450 and then however many until they hit their quota. Take into consideration that maybe up to half a dozen fail the fitness tests each sitting and will be doing repeats so they will obviously be skipped. People are saying that 80 or so who failed fitness tests or eye surgery months ago are taking the first places this time around.

I placed 609 after the interview and have completed medical and pct so hoping il be called for the October intake fingers crossed

Bit worried now. Everything seemed to be getting rushed through and was told.I would be for July but havent heard anything

Bridel wrote: »

Nope have heard nothing since November. Called once way back in January and was told vetting was still not back.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jarvisk12

There was a few no shows yesterday,that's probably happened at other physicals also, that coupled with people who have outstanding issues with the medical and people who have to redo the physical must add up to quite a few people, I am still waiting for references to be contacted etc

jarvisk12 wrote: »
    There was a few no shows yesterday,that's probably happened at other physicals also, that coupled with people who have outstanding issues with the medical and people who have to redo the physical must add up to quite a few people, I am still waiting for references to be contacted etc

Its the waiting thats a killer

• Advertisement

Its the waiting thats a killer

As someone who has been waiting 7 months, its best to continue on with your day to day and not think about the waiting.
    You could be like a good few of us and be waiting for a number of months to hear anything. Best thing is tell yourself it will happen eventually and relax, and enjoy the time you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bluebonbon

Is it 150 per intake?

bluebonbon wrote: »
    Is it 150 per intake?

125 according to the official announcement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭thelongwait

As someone who has been waiting 7 months

Try 7 years!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 daithi72222

Try 7 years!!

Have you heard anything since your PCT ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭thelongwait

Got a phone call last week confirming availability for 27th July. Don't suppose anyone knows if that means your on the actual list for July or what?? The last few phone calls or emails I received from appointments were on a Thursday.... So lets see what Thursday brings.

Seems like good news. Well done!

I presume no call yet means the July class is out of the question

• Registered Users Posts: 15 AndyZ

Seems like good news. Well done!

I presume no call yet means the July class is out of the question

I know people who are at the start of the list for this intake,who haven't received a call yet. So i suppose we just have to sit tight and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭aido112

I assume they wouldnt be ringing you to confirm availability if your vetting and all that is back with them??

• Advertisement

Tbh I'm worried I missed the July intake.... Tho I was on to hrm during the week where I was told hat not all places were filled yet so fingers crossed!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Carisma5500

Tbh I'm worried I missed the July intake.... Tho I was on to hrm during the week where I was told hat not all places were filled yet so fingers crossed!!!

Why? Enjoy the summer off while you can, you'll never get another!

Out of curiousity what day did you ring?

Out of curiousity what day did you ring?
    Wednesday..... Why!?

Why? Enjoy the summer off while you can, you'll never get another!
    Haha I'm workin a crap job just to pass time!!!!! Even if I knew I was goin in October id enjoy working there more knowin I'd be soon out!!!

Wednesday..... Why!?

Because a group of us did our physical on tuesday is all so if odds are a few of us are in with a chance if you only rang wednesday... The not knowing is the worst...

• Advertisement

Because a group of us did our physical on tuesday is all so if odds are a few of us are in with a chance if you only rang wednesday... The not knowing is the worst...

You can call HRM and ask whether or not your background vetting is fully complete. If it is not then July is a definite no and then at least you know there will be a minimum 3 or so month wait until the next class.

They told me that they can't give out any info regarding the background check

knowing
    Yeah I know!!! Everything is so under wraps!!!! They don't give anything away!!!

They told me that they can't give out any info regarding the background check

Depends who answers the phone. Some people have been given it, other not.

Will have to know quite soon for notice purposes etc

• Advertisement
Advertisement