Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 5

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

gone through the interview stage but still unsure as to whether the job is right for me at this point in my life.

have a job i quite enjoy at present as well as having considerable upcoming committments to take care of that may mean going further with it would not be the most practical of choices

I hate not having things straightforward!

Well in the case of the Garda.. In my opinion... It's a job you know you want or don't! It's a lifestyle change!!!! Maybe consider why you applied in the first place! It might help clear things up!!!!! In twenty years will you regret or agree with your decision!?

slingerz wrote: »
    gone through the interview stage but still unsure as to whether the job is right for me at this point in my life.

have a job i quite enjoy at present as well as having considerable upcoming committments to take care of that may mean going further with it would not be the most practical of choices

I hate not having things straightforward!

I'd suggest you try to find a serving member you know and talk to them. They might help you clear your head a little bit.

Well in the case of the Garda.. In my opinion... It's a job you know you want or don't! It's a lifestyle change!!!! Maybe consider why you applied in the first place! It might help clear things up!!!!! In twenty years will you regret or agree with your decision!?

my application was put in a while ago at this stage and circumstances have changed for me in the interim.

It is a lifestyle change and while i think its a job that i would relish if i was 21 I am not sure that it is something that would suit me now in my 30's

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Mc Garnigle

Just wondering has it been confirmed there will a October intake all I have been hearing about is July

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Dublingirl88

Just wondering has it been confirmed there will a October intake all I have been hearing about is July

The 2nd intake went down last December and are finishing in July and as far as I am aware there was a 3rd intake who started in Jan who would be due to finish end of Sept/start of Oct.

At orientation in Feb the sergeants said they were expecting an intake in October once it was signed off.... So time will tell....

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Mc Garnigle

The 2nd intake went down last December and are finishing in July and as far as I am aware there was a 3rd intake who started in Jan who would be due to finish end of Sept/start of Oct.

At orientation in Feb the sergeants said they were expecting an intake in October once it was signed off.... So time will tell....

Bloody better be!!!!!! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭caza182

we were told at our stage 3 orientation that there would be an October intake!

There better be after going through the whole process!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

my application was put in a while ago at this stage and circumstances have changed for me in the interim.

It is a lifestyle change and while i think its a job that i would relish if i was 21 I am not sure that it is something that would suit me now in my 30's

Lots of lads in our intake are over 30. Age shouldn't be an issue too much, there's a good few parents in training too. give the job 2 years of your time, you'll get a degree out of it an some serious experience behind ya working in teams and using your interpersonal skills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 jarvisk12

Has anybody who has passed all stages still not been contacted by their local Sergeant/super or had their references checked yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 tracey12

I'm waiting to do a re test for my pct just wondering has anyone got a date for their physical yet or has any idea when the next round of physicals will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jwm85

How long did it take for official offers to come out after the initial phone call was made about availability?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ellemac3

jwm85 wrote: »
    How long did it take for official offers to come out after the initial phone call was made about availability?

It was 15 days

ellemac3 wrote: »
    It was 15 days

Ok cool. Got a phone call this evening. I'm sure they'll have to contact me sooner than 15 days if they're starting on 27th. Was the offer made by phone call or email?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ellemac3

Ok cool. Got a phone call this evening. I'm sure they'll have to contact me sooner than 15 days if they're starting on 27th. Was the offer made by phone call or email?

The offer comes by email, you'll then get paper work sent out to you in the post the following day and a week later we got asked for our measurements and bank details you'll prob be asked sooner as we have to have them by Friday!!

What time did they ring you? I had a missed called from an unknown number this evening around 5.30 pm and was wondering if it was them. :confused:

If it was them then it's a kinda late... I have 1 month notice period at work :(

What time did they ring you? I had a missed called from an unknown number this evening around 5.30 pm and was wondering if it was them. :confused:

If it was them then it's a kinda late... I have 1 month notice period at work :(

My phone call was from an unknown number after 5pm. I was told it wasn't an offer, but that if my file was complete would I be available.

jwm85 wrote:

The million dollar question for everyone..... What was your OOM?!

The million dollar question for everyone..... What was your OOM?!

I'm in high 500's

• Advertisement

I'm in high 500's

Have you had a phone call?
    Maybe not everybody's file is ready

I'm in high 500's

Sorry I just remembered you had a missed call. You should phone them.

Ah really!!!! My phone was dead last night at that time!!!!! Could I be that brazen and call to find out!?

Well that's the odd thing. My OOM is over 600

Ah mine is mid 500's and have heard nothing.... :(

And I know a guy going down on the 27th who is around 520's so my file is obviously not ready :/

Frances Fitzgerald on KildareStreet.com;

"
    The personnel strength of An Garda Síochána on 31 May was 12,772. The first intake since 2009, consisting of 100 recruits, entered training in Templemore on 15 September 2014. As part of the 2015 budget, I announced a further intake of 200 recruits, and on 15 December, the first 100 of those started. The remaining 100 entered the college in February this year. The September intake attested as members of the Garda Síochána on 23 April and, as I am sure the Deputy is aware, have been allocated by the Garda Commissioner to stations around the country, where they can get supervision and take up front-line duties. There will be further attestations in July and September, and I have received sanction for a further two intakes of 125 each. The number of new recruits coming on board is 550 in the past year. Taking account of crime trends and policing priorities, they will be assigned appropriately.
    It is not possible to say precisely what Garda strength will be at the end of 2015, or even more so in 2016 and 2017, as this will depend on the number of retirements. They can vary quite significantly from one year to the next. As I have said all along, the retirement rate will be very carefully monitored and will naturally influence the level of recruitment needed to maintain Garda strength."

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jarvisk12

It's no harm phoning or emailing,I rang and emailed enquiring as to why my references haven't been checked and I haven't been to the local station despite passing all of the stages, I got a call from the local station that night to say that there had been a mix up with my paperwork and it was misplaced for weeks and weeks, since then I've met the super also,this was rushed through in two days, human error occurs so it's no harm double checking

I passed Physical on June 23rd and placed mid 500's on OOM after the interview but my file is still with Crime and Securities anyone know what this means and should I not be expecting my vetting to be done for the October intake??

I passed Physical on June 23rd and placed mid 500's on OOM after the interview but my file is still with Crime and Securities anyone know what this means and should I not be expecting my vetting to be done for the October intake??

I emailed yesterday and they said they're waiting for final checks to come back and their goal is to get me into the October intake

I'm just curious as to what checks are outstanding or if there is any way I can speed things up by providing additional information? Could they be trying to find info on relatives living abroad?

• Advertisement

I'm just curious as to what checks are outstanding or if there is any way I can speed things up by providing additional information? Could they be trying to find info on relatives living abroad?

I rang HRM Monday and the lad I spoke to when asked if it was my relatives in the Isle of Man and Scotland delaying it he answered no that my file was with Crime and Securities and it was a localised issue for me :( Which is worrying as I have an entire side of my family I have no dealings with that wouldn't be the most up and up sort of people but at the same time I don't think they are drug lords or anything too major serious.....

As long as your not related to Walter White I can I'm pretty sure you'll be ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

My daughter just got an email telling her she passed the interview (stage 4) and is being put forward. Anyone any idea what happens now. And what the timeline will be.

My daughter just got an email telling her she passed the interview (stage 4) and is being put forward. Anyone any idea what happens now. And what the timeline will be.

Now it's in the hands of Garda HRM, they will call her, well email, in relation to her medical, once she has passed this she will then be doing her physical. (which I would recommend training for, the beep test can be found as an app for her phone to help her train for that.)

Also the local sergeant will be in touch to meet her and following that a meeting with the local super intendent.

Best of luck to her!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bluebonbon

I was placed 588 in OOM, but failed medical. Got laser surgery done thank god.

So I'm just wondering, for people who failed medical, fitness, or just didn't get a July offer, will we be priority over those just after passing interviews and stuff, or are we in competition with them to secure an October place?

bluebonbon wrote: »
    I was placed 588 in OOM, but failed medical. Got laser surgery done thank god.

So I'm just wondering, for people who failed medical, fitness, or just didn't get a July offer, will we be priority over those just after passing interviews and stuff, or are we in competition with them to secure an October place?

Sorry for my ignorance but what is OOM. and does anyone know if many are failing the medical and if so what are most people failing on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 AndyZ

Sorry for my ignorance but what is OOM. and does anyone know if many are failing the medical and if so what are most people failing on.

OOM - Order Of Merit,you get that after you pass the interview stage

Order of Merit, its in the email from public jobs if you passed the interview!

No idea! It was just the eyesight for me and the majority of other people! I imagine some people might want to keep some of their medical problems private if they are after failing, but I haven't heard of much other reasons for failures!

Thanks. The minute I read your answer I knew I sh have known that. My daughter got her results yesterday she is 690 something anyone any idea when she should hear about medical. Best of luck to everyone

Thanks. The minute I read your answer I knew I sh have known that. My daughter got her results yesterday she is 690 something anyone any idea when she should hear about medical. Best of luck to everyone

To be honest, after the interview is passed you just have to wait and take things as they come. They are pretty unpredictable with dates and things like that, and sometimes you'll just get an email out of the blue

I think that the OOM decides in what order you are called to medical, but as far as offers they as far as I know call the people who have files ready to go, so even though I am mid 500's on the OOM and passed my medical and physical as my vetting is not complete I did not make this month's intake but I am hopeful all will be ready for the next intake :)

• Advertisement

I think that the OOM decides in what order you are called to medical, but as far as offers they as far as I know call the people who have files ready to go, so even though I am mid 500's on the OOM and passed my medical and physical as my vetting is not complete I did not make this month's intake but I am hopeful all will be ready for the next intake :)

What would generally delay the vetting??

bluebonbon wrote: »
    What would generally delay the vetting??

Wish I knew! but i'll be checking in with HRM in a few weeks to see if it has progressed.

I mean it could be my sergeant was on holidays or delays in hearing from the local sergeants in the districts where my relatives are living because they are on leave or just delays overall due to short staffed garda stations!

Apparently the big things they check for is terrorist activity, drug dealing etc and time served from assaulting a garda... so despite so less than ideal estranged family members as none of mine would involved in any of those I am hopeful my issue is delayed paperwork more than anything else!

I called yesterday and was told that out of five vetting stages...... Two stages of my vetting was outstanding.... And don't talk now when it will come through..... Hopefully before September!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

wonder what the 5 stages are?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Corkrunner35

Has anyone who received stage 4 results and their OOM on Thursday receive any further correspondence yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Lc201395

I emailed yesterday and they said they're waiting for final checks to come back and their goal is to get me into the October intake

What email did you email for this?

Has anyone who received stage 4 results and their OOM on Thursday receive any further correspondence yet?

ya i got a phone call on friday

Nice one. From HRM ? Did you get date for medical?

Can I ask what your OOM was and what did they say to you on the call.

Can I ask what your OOM was and what did they say to you on the call.

Hey, Tfitzgerald how did you place on OOM?

• Advertisement
Advertisement