Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 5

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Dublingirl88

I met him like ages ago, but this isin the sergeant of my area! I met with my local Sargent and super intendant, this guy is dealing directly with doing my vetting, like he has fifty forms to go through!!!

So how did the meeting go? get any indication if you are on track for the October intake?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Seriously, mate! Is that your solution for getting into the Garda College and becoming a police officer?
    It's not bad advice. There are only2 charts to learn. And even then you only need to memorize the li es you can't read

• Registered Users Posts: 48 cilldara podge

ExtaticFob wrote: »
    I have similar eye sight to you. I did an eye test and just made the qualifying standard. I was squinting alot! I would suggest having an eye test before the medical just to be sure and also memorise a few different eye charts! Feic Arse industries produce popular charts!
    I appreciate a good Father Ted reference ðŸ‘

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 AhhMang

My eyesight is -3.5 both eyes have I realistically wasted my time.

Personally I don't see an issue with eye sight, if it can be corrected with lenses so be it (even how biased).

I mean, I could have 20/20 vision and within my 2 year probation deter to ****ty eyesight which I have now but nothing would be said.

Bit annoying because laser eye is both expensive and long term effects aren't known yet.

AhhMang wrote: »
    My eyesight is -3.5 both eyes have I realistically wasted my time.

Personally I don't see an issue with eye sight, if it can be corrected with lenses so be it (even how biased).

I mean, I could have 20/20 vision and within my 2 year probation deter to ****ty eyesight which I have now but nothing would be said.

Bit annoying because laser eye is both expensive and long term effects aren't known yet.

If they defer you on eyesight you are not knocked out of the competition, they give you the option to get laser surgery done and come back to them with a cert confirming your eyesight has been corrected.

Admittedly what you have said is true, the cost is a lot to undertake and yes side effects are as of yet unknown.....

Got the dates for the medical and the open day. But have heard nothing from the local garda about talking to them

Got the dates for the medical and the open day. But have heard nothing from the local garda about talking to them

That will take time depending on how busy the Sergeant looking after your case is, and I met a local inspector rather than a Superintendent, presumably because they were too busy to meet with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Corkrunner35

I'm in the same boat, I have medical at the start of August. I'm sure we will hear in time as we will have to complete PCT aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 cilldara podge

Is everybody wearing track suits tomorrow for the open day or what do we wear?

Is everybody wearing track suits tomorrow for the open day or what do we wear?

I'd reckon so I'll be in tracksuit and gym gear anyway as it's only intro to the tests.

What does anyone else reckon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 ellemac3

I'd reckon so I'll be in tracksuit and gym gear anyway as it's only intro to the tests.

What does anyone else reckon?

We I went down I wore gym gear you can bring it with and change but it is as handy to be wearing it as you get the opportunity to do the obstacle course and bleep test and everything so just changing is a waste of time in my opinion!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Get Real

ellemac3 wrote: »
    We I went down I wore gym gear you can bring it with and change but it is as handy to be wearing it as you get the opportunity to do the obstacle course and bleep test and everything so just changing is a waste of time in my opinion!!!

Do you get to actually "do" everything or is it a walkthrough. Can you run the obstacle course or are we just shown it? Also can you do a full proper bleep test or is it just explained?

Many Thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Get Real

ellemac3 wrote: »

Do you get to actually "do" everything or is it a walkthrough. Can you run the obstacle course or are we just shown it? Also can you do a full proper bleep test or is it just explained?

Get Real wrote: »

You will get to do the beep test as a large group lined up but on the actual PC day there is max 8 of you stretched out, and you will get to run one lap of the obstacle course, only one lad at the day i was there actually done the 3 laps. And everyone is given a shot at the push pull machine.

Give everything you can a shot it's well worth it, as it will show you what you may need to work on etc

What did every one think of today's open day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

How are the qualified garda who are sent to dublin finding it with the poor wages and the high rent?

Anyone any news .?

Anyone any news .?

Just been on first visit to local Sgt since the open day! Other than that just waiting to complete medical.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bluebonbon

Lc201395 wrote: »
    Anyone know if -2.75 right eye and -3.50 left eye will pass the medical??!!

I failed my eyesight on -1.50 left eye and -3.00 right eye!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

what does that mean for you now bluebonbon?

Also, does anyone know if you can defer your entry into the college?

slingerz wrote: »
    what does that mean for you now bluebonbon?

Also, does anyone know if you can defer your entry into the college?

My application was put on hold, and they give you 6 months to consider/get laser surgery before cancelling the application.
    I got the surgery in June (€3295 with Optical Express, but hopefully worth it). You have to then wait 6 weeks after your surgery, and get the surgeon the email the garda medical office a report about your eyesight after the surgery. My 6 week check up is Tuesday, so I should hopefully have my application continued next week! :D

I think you can defer the entry, but I'm not 100% on that! :)

bluebonbon wrote: »
    I failed my eyesight on -1.50 left eye and -3.00 right eye!

Will u get laser?

Will u get laser?

Already got it on June 18th :) I would have got it done anyway, this just pushed my decision ahead a couple of years, but best decision I ever made! :)

Already got it on June 18th :) I would have got it done anyway, this just pushed my decision ahead a couple of years, but best decision I ever made! :)

Nice one? Where and how much did it cost you? You after been passed now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Nice one? Where and how much did it cost you? You after been passed now?

Three questions you've asked there, each of which have already been answered by bluebonbon

• Advertisement

D Trent wrote: »
    Three questions you've asked there, each of which have already been answered by bluebonbon

My bad I didn't scroll up and see that post!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Sonas123

I've got my date for the medical on the 25th August, anyone know roughly when the Physical will be as I am currently living in London and was told they try to accommodate people travelling from abroad and have both relatively close?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭WillFerrell93

Did you just get your date this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Sonas123

No I got it Thursday, have already confirmed it

Sonas123 wrote: »
    No I got it Thursday, have already confirmed it

Ah cool.. I am still waiting on interview results.. Reckon that we will get Medical date around the same time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Lc201395

Just got a phone call from a guard in the station giving me a date and time to meet superintendent. Anyone tell me anything about this or what it involves etc

Just got a phone call from a guard in the station giving me a date and time to meet superintendent. Anyone tell me anything about this or what it involves etc

No news here.

For mine they just kind of went through my application form B thing, asked questions about my parents jobs, my hobbies, the college course I was doing, and why I wanted to be a guard :)

For mine they just kind of went through my application form B thing, asked questions about my parents jobs, my hobbies, the college course I was doing, and why I wanted to be a guard :)

Yep that was how mine went, discussed my family, what I've been up to since school like courses/work etc and why I want to go into the guards :)

I met an inspector rather than a superintendent and honestly that meeting was more formal and a briefer discussion on the same topics and he seemed quite happy with me from the start and also surprised at how familiar I was with certain aspects of the job despite not knowing a single guard! so I ended up asking more questions for information myself :D

Question for the guys that done interviews.. How did you feel coming out of it? Did you feel it went really well or that you didnt say stuff that you would have liked? Was reading back and saw one girl was really confident and wouldnt have changed a thing but when results came she didnt pass.

Question for the guys that done interviews.. How did you feel coming out of it? Did you feel it went really well or that you didnt say stuff that you would have liked? Was reading back and saw one girl was really confident and wouldnt have changed a thing but when results came she didnt pass.

I was a nervous wreck and felt like I didn't do enough and was kicking myself going why didn't I prepare more... So felt like I was going to have to wait and upskill until the next competition but as it turned out I had done enough! :)

I was a nervous wreck and felt like I didn't do enough and was kicking myself going why didn't I prepare more... So felt like I was going to have to wait and upskill until the next competition but as it turned out I had done enough! :)

Its mad.. I really dont know what to expect.. Could really go wither way I think.. You need to get a pass mark on all competencies dont ya? Do they just tell you pass or fail or give you a score?

Its mad.. I really dont know what to expect.. Could really go wither way I think.. You need to get a pass mark on all competencies dont ya? Do they just tell you pass or fail or give you a score?

I received the following;

"Further to your participation at Stage 4 of the selection process for Garda Trainee 2013, I am pleased to inform you that following the interview you have reached the qualifying standard and have been placed as follows on the order of merit.

Your Place: XXX

The candidates placed on this Order of Merit (OOM) have been added to the end of the overall OOM following Rounds X and X. To date XXX candidates from this panel have been assigned to the Garda College in Templemore.
    The OOM from Round X starts at place XXX.

Subject to you complying with the educational qualification requirements set out for this campaign, your name is being forwarded to An Garda Síochána in order to be considered for Stage 5. This stage of the process will be conducted by An Garda Síochána and includes vetting; medical examination; physical competence test; etc. The Garda Authorities will be in contact with you directly regarding aspects of Stage 5.

The Public Appointments Service is currently completing qualification checks. An invitation to any element of Stage 5 should not be taken as an indication that the Commissioner considers that you fulfil the full range of essential requirements, and is not a guarantee of acceptance as a Garda Trainee"

I received the following;

"Further to your participation at Stage 4 of the selection process for Garda Trainee 2013, I am pleased to inform you that following the interview you have reached the qualifying standard and have been placed as follows on the order of merit.

Your Place: XXX

The candidates placed on this Order of Merit (OOM) have been added to the end of the overall OOM following Rounds X and X. To date XXX candidates from this panel have been assigned to the Garda College in Templemore.
    The OOM from Round X starts at place XXX.

Subject to you complying with the educational qualification requirements set out for this campaign, your name is being forwarded to An Garda Síochána in order to be considered for Stage 5. This stage of the process will be conducted by An Garda Síochána and includes vetting; medical examination; physical competence test; etc. The Garda Authorities will be in contact with you directly regarding aspects of Stage 5.

The Public Appointments Service is currently completing qualification checks. An invitation to any element of Stage 5 should not be taken as an indication that the Commissioner considers that you fulfil the full range of essential requirements, and is not a guarantee of acceptance as a Garda Trainee"

My god reading this makes me want to see this email in my message board even more! I can only imagine the feeling of getting it ha I would say our OOM will be fairly high now wont it.. There has been 425 in Templemore so far hasnt there including the July intake?

My god reading this makes me want to see this email in my message board even more! I can only imagine the feeling of getting it ha I would say our OOM will be fairly high now wont it.. There has been 425 in Templemore so far hasnt there including the July intake?

Yes the 4th intake started this week which brings the total taken to 425, and October will be another 125 bringing it to 550 which is pretty impressive.

The feeling was unreal and considering I was convinced I'd not passed I was afraid to look so it was a pretty good day I gotta say!

• Advertisement

Yes the 4th intake started this week which brings the total taken to 425, and October will be another 125 bringing it to 550 which is pretty impressive.

The feeling was unreal and considering I was convinced I'd not passed I was afraid to look so it was a pretty good day I gotta say!

Deadly! So what will our OOM be starting at do you think? Have you been confirmed for October yet?

Deadly! So what will our OOM be starting at do you think? Have you been confirmed for October yet?

I couldn't say where the OOM is... I think I was in round 3 who started around mid 400's and went up to mid 600's give or take? I've seen people on here after my group post their OOM who are 690's and waiting to be called for medical etc

Ah I see I see.. Sure we will wait and see anyway.. How long after you did interview did you get results?

Ah I see I see.. Sure we will wait and see anyway.. How long after you did interview did you get results?

15 Days...

15 Days...

Thats quick!! I thought would have been in around 3-4 weeks

Thats quick!! I thought would have been in around 3-4 weeks

Our group was rushed through as the group ahead of us had a poor turn out/pass rate and vetting for some people have caused delays etc so they are trying to keep a good number on the OOM that they can call on so they will have the numbers for the intakes as they need them... They struggled on the July intake to get the numbers....

Our group was rushed through as the group ahead of us had a poor turn out/pass rate and vetting for some people have caused delays etc so they are trying to keep a good number on the OOM that they can call on so they will have the numbers for the intakes as they need them... They struggled on the July intake to get the numbers....

Really? They should have called me I was available :) haha would you reckon they would be struggling for October too then?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Blueandwhite15

Really? They should have called me I was available :) haha would you reckon they would be struggling for October too then?

Band 2 just called to stage 2
    Pity we weren't emailed be a lovely start to a long weekend

Ha so was I! All set for July so I was.... gutted my vetting wasn't completed in time :(

It's hard to say as only HRM know that and in my case it's a different department holding me up so even when I called they couldn't give me a time frame on when mine will be completed and all they said was they were chasing it up for me....

• Advertisement

Band 2 just called to stage 2
    Pity we weren't emailed be a lovely start to a long weekend

Oh my god Band 2 havent even been called to Stage 2 yet forgot all about that.. That is still the tests at home like.. Crazy! My birthday this weekend too would have been a nice present haha

Advertisement