Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 5

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 AhhMang

Yeah you would, doc never even looked at my eyes, asked me to do the eye sight test with my glasses after. But as I said, morally it's a pretty **** thing to do, plus if they ever found out it wouldn't be a very good testament to your character.
    caza182 wrote: »
    would you think you'd get away with wearing contacts for the medical? I would've thought they'd spot them straight away, that's fairly interesting for anyone afraid of failing on the eyesight!

They get your height, weigh you and get your age, no callipers. I still don't agree with BMI. If the majority of the Irish rugby team went in tomorrow they'd probably fail on BMI.
    In regard to the BMI for the medical, how is it done? Is it just calculated or do they do it with callipers?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Corkrunner35

AhhMang wrote: »
    Medical yesterday and with my ****ty eyesight comes the end of my application as I can't afford laser especially within six months.This is a career ive wanted since a very young age and I am more than capable of doing it, upset doesn't even describe how I feel.

Bit annoyed considering you can have glasses in the gards. If I had gone in wearing contacts and said nothing I would have gotten away with it, but my moral high horse is too tall for that lark.

Best of luck to everyone else, do yourself proud and be great at your job.

Sorry to hear that! Never say never if I was you try all options, try for a loan to get eyes sorted! I wouldnt recommend trying to use contacts as it's not right to be trying to get in by dishonesty.

Again to get this far and give up isn't an option I'd suggest but there is always next time if things won't work out this time round!

Keep us posted how your getting on!

AhhMang wrote: »
    Yeah you would, doc never even looked at my eyes, asked me to do the eye sight test with my glasses after. But as I said, morally it's a pretty **** thing to do, plus if they ever found out it wouldn't be a very good testament to your character.

They get your height, weigh you and get your age, no callipers. I still don't agree with BMI. If the majority of the Irish rugby team went in tomorrow they'd probably fail on BMI.

Yeah no callipers just height and age imputed to the weighing scales which calculates BMI remember don't slouch and stand tall the taller you are the better!!

Also try not use earphones a few days before for audio gramme test!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭caza182

just can't believe they wouldn't be thorough enough to check people's eyes properly! What does the eye tests consist of?

you know many of the laser clinics offer interest free repayments...could be an option for you!

just can't believe they wouldn't be thorough enough to check people's eyes properly! What does the eye tests consist of?

you know many of the laser clinics offer interest free repayments...could be an option for you!

Eye test is 3 stages id call it, machine for vision, colour vision and then eye movement where the doc checks eye movement looking directly into eyes so anyone thinking of contacts I'd think would be seen!

If worried about it contact your optician they can tell you what your vision is and what's it's corrected to. That's what I done so I had that piece of mind knowing that test was ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭WillFerrell93

Quick question lads.. Have they 100% done away with the Rent Allowance? Maybe some of the lads who have went to stations could answer

Quick question lads.. Have they 100% done away with the Rent Allowance? Maybe some of the lads who have went to stations could answer

https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2015-02-10a.551

Check that link, it states it's abolished since 2012 for all new entrants, but once attested after 32 weeks all premium payments, allowances etc start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭Turbo T

https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2015-02-10a.551

Check that link, it states it's abolished since 2012 for all new entrants, but once attested after 32 weeks all premium payments, allowances etc start.

Rent allowance is not included after 32 weeks bud. No rent allowance for new members as it stands.

Turbo T wrote: »
    Rent allowance is not included after 32 weeks bud. No rent allowance for new members as it stands.

Yeah that's what I said above bud, it's abolished since 2012. I didn't mean to imply that was part of allowances and premium pay once attested. Sorry if I wasn't clear !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭Turbo T

Yeah that's what I said above bud, it's abolished since 2012. I didn't mean to imply that was part of allowances and premium pay once attested. Sorry if I wasn't clear !

No bother. When you said all, it looked like you were including the rent allowance

Turbo T wrote: »
    No bother. When you said all, it looked like you were including the rent allowance

Yeah sounded like once attested you receive it.. Cheers lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Peter2.0

Results are out!!! 766 get in!!!! ðŸ˜

GET IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Dublingirl88

Peter2.0 wrote: »
    Results are out!!! 766 get in!!!! ðŸ˜
    GET IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well done lads!!

Cant believe it!!! Both got ranked in top 30 Peter :)

• Advertisement

Cant believe it!!! Both got ranked in top 30 Peter :)

Quality mate beyond chuffed, we're at the door now just need to give it one last push.

Quality mate beyond chuffed, we're at the door now just need to give it one last push.

So close I can almost touch it haha Was only thinking earlier of things that I said that I thought sounded awful and was really thinking my god Im not gonna get it haha Absolutely delighted like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭cruiser202006

And this is where it ends for me!! Best of luck to yous in stage 5!

And this is where it ends for me!! Best of luck to yous in stage 5!

Ah sorry to hear that! Did you feel like the interview didnt go your way?

Woooohoooo passed the interview what a bloody shock I was not expecting that at all!!

• Advertisement

Woooohoooo passed the interview what a bloody shock I was not expecting that at all!!

Ah deadly!! You were convinced otherwise werent you ha

Ah deadly!! You were convinced otherwise werent you ha

Absolutely without a doubt convinced I had failed! I am absolutely delighted and well done to everyone :)

Absolutely without a doubt convinced I had failed! I am absolutely delighted and well done to everyone :)

Where did you rank? :) Ball park obviously ha

Ah sorry to hear that! Did you feel like the interview didnt go your way?
    Ah I kinda felt coming out that it hadn't gone my way!! They didn't seem interested. Looking out window etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Sonas123

Anyone know what number the October intake begins at?

Number 806 which isn't a super high rank but as long as I'm in im in haha! What about yourself??

Well done! What number did your oom start at lads?

Ah I kinda felt coming out that it hadn't gone my way!! They didn't seem interested. Looking out window etc.

Sorry to hear bud!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 upmayo2015

None of ye seem to realise there's still people ranked way higher than yourselves waiting! Best of luck to all and well done!

Sorry to hear bud!
    Ah I kinda knew myself before today!! Only consolation is according to panel I'm earning a lot more now than I would've been!! Best of luck to who got through! I'm going on the beer!!

• Advertisement

Well done! What number did your oom start at lads?

737 according to the message

Number 806 which isn't a super high rank but as long as I'm in im in haha! What about yourself??

750's :)

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Blueandwhite15

Boom get in !! Top 15!!!

upmayo2015 wrote: »
    None of ye seem to realise there's still people ranked way higher than yourselves waiting! Best of luck to all and well done!

Yea I'm in the mid 500's still waiting but to be fair all that is in their way now is a medical and physical (which can be well prepared for) so I imagine they're all about to have a fairly good and well deserved celebration tonight!

Yea I'm in the mid 500's still waiting but to be fair all that is in their way now is a medical and physical (which can be well prepared for) so I imagine they're all about to have a fairly good and well deserved celebration tonight!

I think we all realise that there are people ahead of us but we are happy to be joining the queue. And yes there will be some drinks tonight alrite! ha

I think we all realise that there are people ahead of us but we are happy to be joining the queue. And yes there will be some drinks tonight alrite! ha

Ha some very well deserved drinks!

Ha some very well deserved drinks!

Now the eager wait to start the Medical! Worried about needing some fillings.. Wonder can you fail on that

Now the eager wait to start the Medical! Worried about needing some fillings.. Wonder can you fail on that

Doctor didn't even look at my teeth, but considering the tight income in Templemore a check up with the Dentist is possibly a good idea!

Doctor didn't even look at my teeth, but considering the tight income in Templemore a check up with the Dentist is possibly a good idea!

Yeah I got one yesterday just in case.. I got 2 fillings done and am debating whether or not to get the other couple I need before medical.. My teeth are in no way hanging out of my head like if you were to look at them you wouldnt even think anything of them

• Advertisement

Yeah I got one yesterday just in case.. I got 2 fillings done and am debating whether or not to get the other couple I need before medical.. My teeth are in no way hanging out of my head like if you were to look at them you wouldnt even think anything of them

Then I imagine you'll be grand if anything the doctor may make a remark about getting them seen to but they're really just making sure you are healthy enough for the job!

Then I imagine you'll be grand if anything the doctor may make a remark about getting them seen to but they're really just making sure you are healthy enough for the job!

Yeah sure if they let ya deffer to get Laser Eye surgery surely you could get a couple fillings within a week of the Medical ha Wonder when medical will be now

Yeah sure if they let ya deffer to get Laser Eye surgery surely you could get a couple fillings within a week of the Medical ha Wonder when medical will be now

Ah yes, one part of the waiting game is over for you and now you have a new one to begin :rolleyes:

Ah yes, one part of the waiting game is over for you and now you have a new one to begin :rolleyes:

Its just waiting after waiting after waiting hahah Bloody killing me.. Any idea whether your vetting is back or not?

Its just waiting after waiting after waiting hahah Bloody killing me.. Any idea whether your vetting is back or not?

Ha yea the waiting never really ends until your information pack for the college arrives and they usually send out offers 3-4 weeks before the intake date so yea....

Nope, I am ringing every 2 weeks or so to get an update so I'll ring early next week and see if anything has changed!

Ha yea the waiting never really ends until your information pack for the college arrives and they usually send out offers 3-4 weeks before the intake date so yea....

Nope, I am ringing every 2 weeks or so to get an update so I'll ring early next week and see if anything has changed!

Yup.. Wonder are they looking at our group for October intake or will we be next group.. Dont think my vetting would take long as I have quite a small family and only one Auntie with no address

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Blueandwhite15

Yup.. Wonder are they looking at our group for October intake or will we be next group.. Dont think my vetting would take long as I have quite a small family and only one Auntie with no address

I'm delighted for us lads ☺ more waiting to begin ! I'd say it will be both they'll be looking at I've a large family but most live in the one area and 2 abroad

They will push for addresses or last known addresses to do the vetting I know I had to get more details on relatives addressed twice for them... I think they are just extremely busy with the numbers going through and it is summer time so people are on holidays etc which likely is not helping things speeding up!

Think it'll be March/April for the following intake after October, unless they do a December/January and have the 152 intake (who just started) sent out to digs to make room for another intake....

They will push for addresses or last known addresses to do the vetting I know I had to get more details on relatives addressed twice for them... I think they are just extremely busy with the numbers going through and it is summer time so people are on holidays etc which likely is not helping things speeding up!

Think it'll be March/April for the following intake after October, unless they do a December/January and have the 152 intake (who just started) sent out to digs to make room for another intake....

I have a feeling there is going to be a December intake also.. Which would be very good!

I have a feeling there is going to be a December intake also.. Which would be very good!

Yea It would be as at least if for some reason I don't make October I won't have a near 6 month wait!

Also more people in the college will mean a bit more banter etc!

Oh hold on, on KildareStreet.com the minister said this on 16/07/2015;

"The Deputy will be aware that the first intake since 2009 of 100 new recruits entered training at the Garda College, Templemore, on 15 September 2014. As part of Budget 2015, a further intake of 200 recruits in two batches was announced. On 15 December 2014, the first 100 of these batches commenced their training. The remaining 100 entered the college in February this year. In addition I received sanction from the Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform for the further intake of 250 recruits in 2015. It is expected that there will be a further intake into the Garda College of 100 trainees later this month, with two further intakes scheduled for October and December of this year. This will bring the number of new recruits to 550 by the end of 2015."

So looks like there is a December intake planned after all!

• Advertisement
Advertisement