Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 5

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭WillFerrell93

Oh hold on, on KildareStreet.com the minister said this on 16/07/2015;

"The Deputy will be aware that the first intake since 2009 of 100 new recruits entered training at the Garda College, Templemore, on 15 September 2014. As part of Budget 2015, a further intake of 200 recruits in two batches was announced. On 15 December 2014, the first 100 of these batches commenced their training. The remaining 100 entered the college in February this year. In addition I received sanction from the Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform for the further intake of 250 recruits in 2015. It is expected that there will be a further intake into the Garda College of 100 trainees later this month, with two further intakes scheduled for October and December of this year. This will bring the number of new recruits to 550 by the end of 2015."

So looks like there is a December intake planned after all!

Savage!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭ollieo

Passed the interview through to Stage 5, didn't rank as high as some of ye, in the 800's, but delighted to have passed the interview!!

ollieo wrote: »
    Passed the interview through to Stage 5, didn't rank as high as some of ye, in the 800's, but delighted to have passed the interview!!

Makes no difference.. You passed and youre nearly there :) Really depends on vetting really doesnt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭caza182

ollieo wrote: »

Same as myself I'm at the start of the 800's but at least we have our foot in the door! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Corkrunner35

How did Medicals go for everyone last week?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Ciaran20041329

Think we will be a long time waiting to be called for ours?

Think we will be a long time waiting to be called for ours?

Hope not.. Want a date now ha

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Blueandwhite15

Anyone doing any fitness preparation?
    Do you think we'll hear anything about medicals this week? I'm at the beginning of the oom

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Ciaran20041329

Hope not.. Want a date now ha

Out of the frying pan, into the fire wha ha
    This waiting is the worst.

Sure ill see ya down ib templemore in no time will ;)
    Actually is that where the medicals are held?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Dublingirl88

Out of the frying pan, into the fire wha ha
    This waiting is the worst.

Sure ill see ya down ib templemore in no time will ;)
    Actually is that where the medicals are held?

Medicals are in Garda GQ in Phoenix park. Parking can be a nuisance if there's something on in Phoenix park and bring snacks as you can be left waiting around a lot on the day!

PCT open day and actual physical test are all done down in Templemore, open day is normally a Saturday and the tests (the last round anyway) were midweek, with you needing to be down there for 9am.

• Advertisement

Medicals are in Garda GQ in Phoenix park. Parking can be a nuisance if there's something on in Phoenix park and bring snacks as you can be left waiting around a lot on the day!

PCT open day and actual physical test are all done down in Templemore, open day is normally a Saturday and the tests (the last round anyway) were midweek, with you needing to be down there for 9am.

How long after results did you get contacted about Medical? :)

How long after the interview results did you all receive your medical dates?

How long after results did you get contacted about Medical? :)

For me it was 2 days after interview results, but when I was doing mine they were under pressure for numbers for July so a lot of us got rushed through fairly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Sonas123

For me it was 2 days after interview results, but when I was doing mine they were under pressure for numbers for July so a lot of us got rushed through fairly quickly.

It was 6 days for me... Dublingirl88, what number did the oom for your group begin as a matter of interest

Sonas123 wrote: »
    It was 6 days for me... Dublingirl88, what number did the oom for your group begin as a matter of interest

The 3rd groups OOM started at 451.....

I wonder should we expecting it this week then.. Did you get a phone call or email?

I wonder should we expecting it this week then.. Did you get a phone call or email?

It was an email from Garda HRM directly to my personal email account...

It was an email from Garda HRM directly to my personal email account...

Ah I see I see.. And was it just giving you a date for Medical and asking where you available? Was it about 2 weeks notice?

Ah I see I see.. And was it just giving you a date for Medical and asking where you available? Was it about 2 weeks notice?

I was lucky to get 4 weeks notice for my medical but only got 10 days notice for my physical.

Both emails said what date I was given and said to reply to the same email confirming my attendance within a certain time frame.

• Advertisement

I was lucky to get 4 weeks notice for my medical but only got 10 days notice for my physical.

Both emails said what date I was given and said to reply to the same email confirming my attendance within a certain time frame.

Ah okay.. God I just want a date now haha Need to start working on my fitness now!

Ah okay.. God I just want a date now haha Need to start working on my fitness now!

I know how you feel! May and June dragged by for me and when I passed the physical the end of June I was over the moon!

Then the reality that I had more waiting to do hit me ha!

I know how you feel! May and June dragged by for me and when I passed the physical the end of June I was over the moon!

Its absolutely sick haha How did you find the Beep Test? Did many fail when you were doing it?

Its absolutely sick haha How did you find the Beep Test? Did many fail when you were doing it?

I know 2 failed the beep test, not sure if any others did, it was tough though!

I know 2 failed the beep test, not sure if any others did, it was tough though!

I have done it a few times and done really well on it.. But over the last year I have not been doing anywhere near the same fitness regime so I reckon once I have done a bit of work should be okay.. Used to be really good at press ups and now am muck ha How strict are they on chest to the ground for men?

I have done it a few times and done really well on it.. But over the last year I have not been doing anywhere near the same fitness regime so I reckon once I have done a bit of work should be okay.. Used to be really good at press ups and now am muck ha How strict are they on chest to the ground for men?

I asked on the open day about the chest to the ground and both guys and girls have to go to the ground with the chest for press ups, and for sit ups you need to bring your chest to your knees and bring your shoulder blades back to the ground with your hands at your temples the whole time.

• Advertisement

I asked on the open day about the chest to the ground and both guys and girls have to go to the ground with the chest for press ups, and for sit ups you need to bring your chest to your knees and bring your shoulder blades back to the ground with your hands at your temples the whole time.

Ah s***e ha I need to start bloody working on that so haha

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Sonas123

The 3rd groups OOM started at 451.....

Ok perfect cheers, so have some of group three already gone to templemore?

Ah s***e ha I need to start bloody working on that so haha

Ah you'll be surprised what daily practise can help you achieve! And with them standing on your feet the sit ups aren't really so bad! Just try do a beep test then the sit ups and then press ups one after the other as that is the order on the day with about a 15min break between the beep and sit ups/press ups so at least then you are pushing yourself in similar conditions to the day itself.

Sonas123 wrote: »
    Ok perfect cheers, so have some of group three already gone to templemore?

I only know 1 who has definitely and 2 others that possibly have but there may be more that just weren't on here so honestly couldn't say....

Ah you'll be surprised what daily practise can help you achieve! And with them standing on your feet the sit ups aren't really so bad! Just try do a beep test then the sit ups and then press ups one after the other as that is the order on the day with about a 15min break between the beep and sit ups/press ups so at least then you are pushing yourself in similar conditions to the day itself.

Yeah exactly.. Im pretty sure sit ups will be no bother.. Especially with someone holding your feet.. Gonna start working on it tonight :)

• Advertisement

Yeah exactly.. Im pretty sure sit ups will be no bother.. Especially with someone holding your feet.. Gonna start working on it tonight :)

Well best of luck! and keeping busy by training will ease the pain of waiting somewhat :rolleyes:

Well best of luck! and keeping busy by training will ease the pain of waiting somewhat :rolleyes:

I dunno.. It is literally killing me haha I know there are Medicals towards the end of this month so wonder will we be given a date towards end of this month.. Speculation speculation speculation haha

On our open day they said there is no distance once while doing a press up your arms go 90degree bends. Sit ups were as you said hands on temple shoulder blades to Mat and elbows on way up to outside knees.
    I'd recommend practice but practice with correct technique rather than banging out lots of incorrect that May not be counted on the day. I'm concentrating on quality of them both.

On our open day they said there is no distance once while doing a press up your arms go 90degree bends. Sit ups were as you said hands on temple shoulder blades to Mat and elbows on way up to outside knees.
    I'd recommend practice but practice with correct technique rather than banging out lots of incorrect that May not be counted on the day. I'm concentrating on quality of them both.

Yeah definitely quality over quantity any day. Good to know gonna start working on them everyday now

Yeah definitely quality over quantity any day. Good to know gonna start working on them everyday now

If your not used to them try do sets of 10-15 and build up over a few weeks. Same with sit ups and as dub girl said try do them under similar test conditions too.

If your not used to them try do sets of 10-15 and build up over a few weeks. Same with sit ups and as dub girl said try do them under similar test conditions too.
    Yeah defo.. Be fairly used to them.. Used to be seriously fit haha just over last year got lazy.. But yeah small amount of reps and a good few sets would have ya set in no time

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Muggle24

I am so worried about the push pull test. I'm 5ft 1 and I know this will be a major struggle for me. Do you do the physical in groups with everyone watching you while waiting their turn ?

Muggle24 wrote: »
    I am so worried about the push pull test. I'm 5ft 1 and I know this will be a major struggle for me. Do you do the physical in groups with everyone watching you while waiting their turn ?

It's a struggle but I'm barely 5ft 3 and did it!

Beep test and press ups and sit ups are in groups but honestly you don't notice each other and the atmosphere was great cause everyone is rooting for each other!

Obstacle course and push pull are individually but people can see you during the obstacle course but again you don't notice anyone bar the guard who's watching your time and shouting at you to keep going! Then push pull is in room to itself so no one can see except the staff who are there and again are cheering you on.

I would stress to you get down to the open day and get as many practise shots on the push pull machine that you can! For us shorter people it's all about the technique which they will show you.

Also the press ups will help develop the muscles you will need and if you have access to a gym work on a lateral pull machine too, you need to be aiming to be able to push and pull 25kg just above your shoulder height but there is a way to go at the machine with your body pushing and pulling too which will help but again this will be shown to you on the open day!

Sorry for the long post!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭ELJeff

It's a struggle but I'm barely 5ft 3 and did it!

Beep test and press ups and sit ups are in groups but honestly you don't notice each other and the atmosphere was great cause everyone is rooting for each other!

Obstacle course and push pull are individually but people can see you during the obstacle course but again you don't notice anyone bar the guard who's watching your time and shouting at you to keep going! Then push pull is in room to itself so no one can see except the staff who are there and again are cheering you on.

I would stress to you get down to the open day and get as many practise shots on the push pull machine that you can! For us shorter people it's all about the technique which they will show you.

Also the press ups will help develop the muscles you will need and if you have access to a gym work on a lateral pull machine too, you need to be aiming to be able to push and pull 25kg just above your shoulder height but there is a way to go at the machine with your body pushing and pulling too which will help but again this will be shown to you on the open day!

Sorry for the long post!!

This.
    As well if you haven't been to the open day yet, You'll be shown around in groups, the Push pull will be shown to you in a group of 8 to 10 people, but don't be shy, go for it and try it out, put everything into it so you know what you can do, scream at it if you have to :D. It's your future so don't be too shy to try or ask anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Muggle24

ELJeff wrote:
    This. As well if you haven't been to the open day yet, You'll be shown around in groups, the Push pull will be shown to you in a group of 8 to 10 people, but don't be shy, go for it and try it out, put everything into it so you know what you can do, scream at it if you have to . It's your future so don't be too shy to try or ask anything.

When is the open day at the college ? Can't find any info on it. Thanks for all the tips great to have an idea going in 😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭ELJeff

Muggle24 wrote: »
    When is the open day at the college ? Can't find any info on it. Thanks for all the tips great to have an idea going in 😊

You will be invited to it by email when your group is being called, I did mine roughly 5 days before my medical which was 2 weeks before my physical date.

Has anybody who got results on Friday heard anything about a medical yet?

Has anybody who got results on Friday heard anything about a medical yet?

Nothing yet. I'm near the start of the OOM. Anyone hear of anything tripping people up in the medical? I passed the defence forces medical but that 4 years ago or near enough. What this albuminuria ?

Nothing yet. I'm near the start of the OOM. Anyone hear of anything tripping people up in the medical? I passed the defence forces medical but that 4 years ago or near enough. What this albuminuria ?

Yeah I am not too far off myself.. Top 30.. Havent a clue.. I done medical already for Reserves but was also like 2/3 years ago.. Seems to be mainly Eyesight and BMI.. Havent really hear of anything else

Yeah I am not too far off myself.. Top 30.. Havent a clue.. I done medical already for Reserves but was also like 2/3 years ago.. Seems to be mainly Eyesight and BMI.. Havent really hear of anything else

Should be sound so. I'm going for a check with my doctor tomorrow to be sure just check my ears, eyes etc to be sure

Should be sound so. I'm going for a check with my doctor tomorrow to be sure just check my ears, eyes etc to be sure
    Yeah I went for a check in the dentist alrite but think I am grand with eyes and hearing.. Are you going to specsavers for eyes and hearing? Supposedly they do both

Yeah I went for a check in the dentist alrite but think I am grand with eyes and hearing.. Are you going to specsavers for eyes and hearing? Supposedly they do both

Specsavers are meant to do it for free. I was planning on going to the doc let him do my blood pressure and a general check then while I'm in town go do the test in specsavers better to have it done will put me at ease. Even though I'm healthy and in good shape so I'm hoping it's only just a waiting game now

Specsavers are meant to do it for free. I was planning on going to the doc let him do my blood pressure and a general check then while I'm in town go do the test in specsavers better to haveit done will but mr at ease. Even though I'm healthy and in good shape so I'm hoping it's only just a waiting game now

Yeah exacly.. Thought we would have got a date for Medical by now.. Wonder when we will be hearing

Yeah exacly.. Thought we would have got a date for Medical by now.. Wonder when we will be hearing

I've no idea when I did my interview I was told would be quick moving along now. I know there's 2 classes so I'm not sure. girl I know has got her date for medical at the end of August and had her open day in templemore. She did her interview in June afaik. Hope we find out this week

• Advertisement

I've no idea when I did my interview I was told would be quick moving along now. I know there's 2 classes so I'm not sure. girl I know has got her date for medical at the end of August and had her open day in templemore. She did her interview in June afaik. Hope we find out this week

Yeah me too.. I thought we might be in with them but obviously not.. I would say we would be prob looking more towards December now would we?

Advertisement