Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 5

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 upmayo2015

Don't worry keep positive! Will someone let me know if they hear anything about PCT! It's just as im abroad it's hard to plan...
    Live with type 1 diabetes. Its relatively well controlled and ive written confirmation from the chief medical officer saying it shouldn't be an issue if its all in check but still. Another barrier ha. Ive my diabetic consultant on edge of his seat as regards the outcome.
    The 3rd is my D- Day ha.
    ****s getting real lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Ciaran20041329

upmayo2015 wrote: »
    Don't worry keep positive! Will someone let me know if they hear anything about PCT! It's just as im abroad it's hard to plan...

Sure if I get through this, ill reply to one of these and let ya know when we do.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Peter2.0

Ah cool.. I might give them a quick ring regarding mine.. All getting real now.. Great to have a date now.. Cant wait for it

Are yours current? Let me know how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭WillFerrell93

Peter2.0 wrote: »
    Are yours current? Let me know how you get on.
    Nope.. I got a FCPN but it was quashed.. So although I received one I never got points or paid the fine.. So wanted to confirm that I don't have to put that down.. And I don't :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Muggle24

I did for speeding. Feck it !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Killinator

Muggle24 wrote: »
    I did for speeding. Feck it !

I had a fine for speeding, I put it down just incase. It'll have no effect on you application.

Just got the invitation to the open day and I'm on holidays and no chance of going, is there anyway there'll be another before we get called to the pct? Or how bad is it going to be missing out on it?

Just got the invitation to the open day and I'm on holidays and no chance of going, is there anyway there'll be another before we get called to the pct? Or how bad is it going to be missing out on it?

I dont think will matter too much.. I am going to go myself.. Will let you know if there is anything major you should know :) Think it has all been stated on the forum anything we need to know

I dont think will matter too much.. I am going to go myself.. Will let you know if there is anything major you should know :) Think it has all been stated on the forum anything we need to know

Appreciate that mate, just would like to see the setup for pct

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 itsmeimback

Is there many heading down from Donegal/north west to the open day on the 22nd? wondering what yous are doing, driving down that morning or staying down the night before??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Dublingirl88

Appreciate that mate, just would like to see the setup for pct

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=7yQEJaJYf8A

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=aT63DDMmzrM

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=7JcyFOFs5QU

Videos are a bit mad but sure there's plenty of us here willing to answer your questions where we can!

Also it's been confirmed by the guys in templemore that the lad is doing the sit up wrong, so follow the girls example!

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=7yQEJaJYf8A

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=aT63DDMmzrM

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=7JcyFOFs5QU

Videos are a bit mad but sure there's plenty of us here willing to answer your questions where we can!

Also it's been confirmed by the guys in templemore that the lad is doing the sit up wrong, so follow the girls example!

Thank you, is there a second chance if you don't meet the standard first time around? Or is it a fail full stop.

Thank you, is there a second chance if you don't meet the standard first time around? Or is it a fail full stop.

It's set up into two parts, and each part has two further parts if you will.

1) (a) Beep Test followed 15-20 mins later by (b) timed sit ups and un-timed press ups. All of which is done in groups of 8.

2) (a) Circuit/obstacle course followed straight away by (b) push pull machine. (you may get 3-5 mins breather between these)

If you fail 1(a) the beep test you can repeat it again but you have to repeat all of 1. Similarly if you fail the push pull 2(b) you need to repeat all of 2.

I cannot say what happens if you fail more than one part though so maybe someone due to go to the next open day can ask that question and post the answer on here?

If you fail one part and need to repeat there is a minimum wait of 3 months until they allow you to repeat as it is assumed in order to train to get fitness to required level you can't just come back a week or month later - they are giving you plenty of time to definitely come back and pass on the 2nd chance.

Also 1 is done in the am and there is about an hour between 1 and 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Blueandwhite15

What's the hearing standard that's required? In the email it just said good hearing. I've never had a problem doing audiogram I'm just curious

It's set up into two parts, and each part has two further parts if you will.

1) (a) Beep Test followed 15-20 mins later by (b) timed sit ups and un-timed press ups. All of which is done in groups of 8.

2) (a) Circuit/obstacle course followed straight away by (b) push pull machine. (you may get 3-5 mins breather between these)

If you fail 1(a) the beep test you can repeat it again but you have to repeat all of 1. Similarly if you fail the push pull 2(b) you need to repeat all of 2.

I cannot say what happens if you fail more than one part though so maybe someone due to go to the next open day can ask that question and post the answer on here?

If you fail one part and need to repeat there is a minimum wait of 3 months until they allow you to repeat as it is assumed in order to train to get fitness to required level you can't just come back a week or month later - they are giving you plenty of time to definitely come back and pass on the 2nd chance.

Also 1 is done in the am and there is about an hour between 1 and 2.

Ok so besides failing outrageously across the board there's a good chance of getting through it.

• Advertisement

Ok so besides failing outrageously across the board there's a good chance of getting through it.

yep if you put some work and training into it then you really should be fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Curiouslad23

Does anybody know what the story is with deferring...I'm due to go in October but it may not suit

I too would like some information on this! October may not suit me as I am abroad but I do not want to miss out on this opportunity, I will call the appointments office but wondering does anyone have any insight

So lads.. Everyone ready for medical? I feel so much more relaxed after Interview.. Its like the hard part is done now and now its just about getting the fitness levels up.. Keep getting random bursts of my god I am going for a medical to be a full time gard haha

So lads.. Everyone ready for medical? I feel so much more relaxed after Interview.. Its like the hard part is done now and now its just about getting the fitness levels up.. Keep getting random bursts of my god I am going for a medical to be a full time gard haha

I know it's so close!! I popped into specsavers there now and done a hearing test. All was fine slight dip at one frequency but nothing alarming he said, very minor he said I'll have no problems as my hearing is normal

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Corkrunner35

For hearing Test, avoid nightclubs, ear phones and loud music for a few days before hand.

In the audiogram booth make sure the ear muffs are on correctly, regulate your breathing and pick a dot in front on the wall and concentrate on it. This will help you concentrate on the beeps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭ollieo

Who's going to the training open day Saturday?

For the open day should you wear something formal and change down there or is it ok to arrive in a tracksuit/shorts? Thanks.

ollieo wrote: »
    Who's going to the training open day Saturday?

For the open day should you wear something formal and change down there or is it ok to arrive in a tracksuit/shorts? Thanks.

When I went down for mine I was in tracksuit and shorts, some were in jeans etc doesn't really matter.

You will get a chance to do level 1 Bleep Test, Push Pull machine & the obstacle course so which ever your comfortable in id suggest.

I'm just wearing down gym gear

I'm just wearing down gym gear

I changed when I got down there and it would have been easier to just wear my gym gear down, they do have changing rooms to change and leave your stuff but wearing stuff down would have meant carrying less stuff around with me!

I know it's so close!! I popped into specsavers there now and done a hearing test. All was fine slight dip at one frequency but nothing alarming he said, very minor he said I'll have no problems as my hearing is normal

Yeah I done hearing and sight and both were perfect.. Yeah looking forward to Saturday now.. Wanna see what they constitute is low enough for a press up

I passed all my hearing tests in defence forces I was just terrified of failing after a few years of using firearms and such. The audiologist said my hearing was grand for my age. Slight dip once but he said it might have being a lack of concentration or background noise putting me off. I got a doctor and dentist check and all was fine.
    Yeah I'm just wearing gym gear and trackies

I passed all my hearing tests in defence forces I was just terrified of failing after a few years of using firearms and such. The audiologist said my hearing was grand for my age. Slight dip once but he said it might have being a lack of concentration or background noise putting me off. I got a doctor and dentist check and all was fine.
    Yeah I'm just wearing gym gear and trackies

Yeah me too.. Early start.. Leave the house at 7.30 haha I have a feeling that the beep test I am working on is harder than the one we are gonna do down there

Yeah me too.. Early start.. Leave the house at 7.30 haha I have a feeling that the beep test I am working on is harder than the one we are gonna do down there

What region are you coming from if you don't mind me asking? Yeah I can't get a link to the one were doing

What region are you coming from if you don't mind me asking? Yeah I can't get a link to the one were doing

DMR :) You? Yeah I have been using the iphone app and reckon there is more laps in the one I am doing than the one we will be doing

DMR :) You? Yeah I have been using the iphone app and reckon there is more laps in the one I am doing than the one we will be doing

Yeah I think so too. I'm coming from the midlands.

• Advertisement

Yeah I think so too. I'm coming from the midlands.

Not too far to go so :) Will we get a date for Physical on the day of medical if we pass?

Not too far to go so :) Will we get a date for Physical on the day of medical if we pass?

You just get told you passed and are sent on your way.... unsure what happens if you fail some aspect...

Physical is an email invite from HRM which you are given a timeframe to confirm attendance by.

I am fighting all urges to ring HRM about my vetting again... trying not to irritate them too much...

That I don't know maybe ring and see other classes were told to go get a date when passed

You just get told you passed and are sent on your way.... unsure what happens if you fail some aspect...

Physical is an email invite from HRM which you are given a timeframe to confirm attendance by.

I am fighting all urges to ring HRM about my vetting again... trying not to irritate them too much...

Ah okay I thought you got a date soon after if you passed
    Yeah I would say that is killing you.. What was the last update you got? Do you know if it is clear yet or not?

Ah okay I thought you got a date soon after if you passed
    Yeah I would say that is killing you.. What was the last update you got? Do you know if it is clear yet or not?

Yea once the doc signs off on you that's it you go home... there was a lot of waiting around I was there about 2-3 hours so bring snacks is my recommendation!

3 Weeks ago HRM said crime and securities hadn't gotten back to them and there are delays with that side apparently... I know it's probably staff related as it is summer and with holidays etc. they're likely short staffed...

Yea once the doc signs off on you that's it you go home... there was a lot of waiting around I was there about 2-3 hours so bring snacks is my recommendation!

3 Weeks ago HRM said crime and securities hadn't gotten back to them and there are delays with that side apparently... I know it's probably staff related as it is summer and with holidays etc. they're likely short staffed...
    Ah I see I see.. That in no way helps though does it.. Its killing me waiting on dates for stuff.. I would hate if my vetting took long.. Would be hoping mine wouldnt take too long as I only have like 6 people on the form

Ah I see I see.. That in no way helps though does it.. Its killing me waiting on dates for stuff.. I would hate if my vetting took long.. Would be hoping mine wouldnt take too long as I only have like 6 people on the form

I reckon I can wait until next week... that'll be 4 weeks since I called so I won't be completely unreasonable ringing again! If it's not back by then I'll be worried as I imagine the offers for an October intake would be out or in the process of going out by the 3rd week of September (14-18)

I reckon I can wait until next week... that'll be 4 weeks since I called so I won't be completely unreasonable ringing again! If it's not back by then I'll be worried as I imagine the offers for an October intake would be out or in the process of going out by the 3rd week of September (14-18)

Yeah would have to be wouldnt it.. I wonder if we pass medical will we get a date before that for physical

Yeah would have to be wouldnt it.. I wonder if we pass medical will we get a date before that for physical

I was speculating on when the next physicals will be and I would imagine there may be some the end of September, my reasoning for this is that the 151 intake finish up on the 11th and the next intake won't be down until October so it would make sense that they do a batch of physicals while there is only the 152 intake down there so it would be easier for the college to facilitate the physicals...

This said I am guessing I've not seen anything on here from people about a physical date in September....

• Advertisement

I was speculating on when the next physicals will be and I would imagine there may be some the end of September, my reasoning for this is that the 151 intake finish up on the 11th and the next intake won't be down until October so it would make sense that they do a batch of physicals while there is only the 152 intake down there so it would be easier for the college to facilitate the physicals...

This said I am guessing I've not seen anything on here from people about a physical date in September....

Yeah would sound right.. So realistically we would be prob looking at December then I would say

Yeah would sound right.. So realistically we would be prob looking at December then I would say

Odds are it's December.. possibly a handful of you for October if the medical and physical are passed by September 18th may make it in if they are short on numbers from people deferring etc.

I would say that it will depend on vetting. I'd say those of us in the top of the OOM might get October depending on how fast it goes. Medical then if passed it might be less then 2 weeks for PCT if we're going for open day then I'd imagine the PCT will be soon otherwise why rum it early?
    I'd say it will be a matter of vetting then just OOM to see who's in what class

I would say that it will depend on vetting. I'd say those of us in the top of the OOM might get October depending on how fast it goes. Medical then if passed it might be less then 2 weeks for PCT if we're going for open day then I'd imagine the PCT will be soon otherwise why rum it early?
    I'd say it will be a matter of vetting then just OOM to see who's in what class

Yeah.. Its funny that the PCT Open Day is before the Medical.. Would like if the PCT was only like a week or two after medical alrite

So when are we having our stage five night out!?

On our open day, the guys in the college reckoned fitness testing would prob start early sept but that they didn't have exact dates at that time but that's what they were expecting.

Again nothing concrete but they said they run fitness tests in batches of 40 per day and given it's 10 Medicals done per day which began early August (that's about 1 week of Medicals to get enough passed for 1 day of fitness testing) given there was just over 100 in our OOM the Medicals should be finishing end of this week maybe so possibly a email due next week as I'd imagine they will be compiling a list for test dates. (given enough passed medical to go ahead with a number of test dates. )

Again that's all just assumptions based on what we were told in the end it's wait and see!!

• Advertisement

Again that's all just assumptions based on what we were told in the end it's wait and see!!

Ha we're an awful impatient group though :rolleyes:

On our open day, the guys in the college reckoned fitness testing would prob start early sept but that they didn't have exact dates at that time but that's what they were expecting.

Again nothing concrete but they said they run fitness tests in batches of 40 per day and given it's 10 Medicals done per day which began early August (that's about 1 week of Medicals to get enough passed for 1 day of fitness testing) given there was just over 100 in our OOM the Medicals should be finishing end of this week maybe so possibly a email due next week as I'd imagine they will be compiling a list for test dates. (given enough passed medical to go ahead with a number of test dates. )

Ive been trying to work this out myself haha If we have Medicals on the first few days in September I couldnt see them doing physicals within a week to get us in for October would they? Seen as you need a months notice for your offer.. Although do they have the numbers to fill the October intake I wonder

Although do they have the numbers to fill the October intake I wonder

That's the million euro question at this stage.....

That's the million euro question at this stage.....

So many questions and so little answers haha Suppose should just expect December if I pass everything and if its October even better ha

• Registered Users Posts: 31 upmayo2015

What about a mayo man having to book flights home for semi finals and hopefully a final!!! And the Mrs is from galway. I'll be flying 3/4 weekends in a row😭 might have to win the lotto 😂 but let's hope we hear something re physicals this week or next. Good luck to all at medicals and open day! Ask the instructors down there what the crack is they would have to have some idea!

• Advertisement
Advertisement