Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 5

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Dublingirl88

ef123 wrote: »
    my biggest problem with the physical is going to be the sit ups. I'm 30 so I only have to do 32 but I'm struggling to get them done within a minute. Everything else should be fine. Any tips?

Get practising every night would be my tip and make sure you do it with someone holding your feet down firmly or with your feet under a heavy couch....

Do plenty of planks and other abs exercises to strengthen your core muscles too and this should all help...

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jwm85

This waiting game is a killer. I've turned down so many things this year with the expectation of starting.

jwm85 wrote: »
    This waiting game is a killer. I've turned down so many things this year with the expectation of starting.

I've lost all interest and motivation in my current job and they know I am running out the door once I get my call....

I've lost all interest and motivation in my current job and they know I am running out the door once I get my call....

I'm just worrying that I won't get in for October!!

I'm just worrying that I won't get in for October!!

Is your vetting still not back either? I've heard there is major delays in the garda vetting department because of increased demand for garda vetting for various jobs.... I've also heard they are finding it hard to get the numbers for October.... I'll be fairly sorely disappointed if I don't make the October intake...

• Advertisement

Is your vetting still not back either? I've heard there is major delays in the garda vetting department because of increased demand for garda vetting for various jobs.... I've also heard they are finding it hard to get the numbers for October.... I'll be fairly sorely disappointed if I don't make the October intake...

Still waiting for vetting. Well I'm guessing it's not back yet, they wouldn't tell me anything last time I called.

Still waiting for vetting. Well I'm guessing it's not back yet, they wouldn't tell me anything last time I called.

Well we're 6 weeks away from the end of October so I imagine there may be phone calls in 2 or so weeks asking people if they are available to start on X date...

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Blueandwhite15

Well we're 6 weeks away from the end of October so I imagine there may be phone calls in 2 or so weeks asking people if they are available to start on X date...

I'm waiting on a date for PCT it's a killer not knowing the time frame to start or any date

I'm waiting on a date for PCT it's a killer not knowing the time frame to start or any date

I'm hesitant to plan past October just in case and it's proving quite difficult now with people starting to do kitty's for Christmas nights out in work etc :(

I'm the same I'm hesitant to say I'll go or do something until I know if I'll be in October or December I'm trying to save money too

• Advertisement

I'm the same I'm hesitant to say I'll go or do something until I know if I'll be in October or December I'm trying to save money too

Yea the saving is the hardest, I had some big car expenses earlier this year and so many friends who are living abroad are coming home in the next few weeks so it would be great to know if I have time to save a little less now or if I am pushed to save as much as possible for the October intake!

Yea the saving is the hardest, I had some big car expenses earlier this year and so many friends who are living abroad are coming home in the next few weeks so it would be great to know if I have time to save a little less now or if I am pushed to save as much as possible for the October intake!

I just want a PCT date and a phone call ☺

I just want a PCT date and a phone call ☺

I imagine if they are doing PCT's up to the 29th they may not even email people until this Friday or next, they could also be dealing with a lot of retests that need to be accommodated or people who had deferred due to injury or being away on holidays etc. plus they are likely waiting until all medicals are done before doing them altogether, keep the faith it seems the last people doing their medicals have been rushed through due to unprecedented poor numbers making it this far along so that likely has added pressure on HRM and again summer holidays just ended so they may have been working with lower staff numbers all summer and are now working through the backlog!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭WillFerrell93

I imagine if they are doing PCT's up to the 29th they may not even email people until this Friday or next, they could also be dealing with a lot of retests that need to be accommodated or people who had deferred due to injury or being away on holidays etc. plus they are likely waiting until all medicals are done before doing them altogether, keep the faith it seems the last people doing their medicals have been rushed through due to unprecedented poor numbers making it this far along so that likely has added pressure on HRM and again summer holidays just ended so they may have been working with lower staff numbers all summer and are now working through the backlog!

I am still waiting on a call from the Sgt so I am not too pushed on October now.. I assume I will be looking more towards December.. Which is crap but at least I will have more time to save.. Even if I pass my physical on 22nd I think I will have a bit of a wait behind me.. Kinda crap because I know the actual vetting wont take long with being in the Reserves but they still have to get through the other people who are ahead of me on the list for my station

I'm just off the phone to a friend who's passing out tomorrow he said from the talk in the college is that they're aiming for 150 in the October class and that they only have 70 odd people lined up so if files come back we'll be in line too

Just got a call .. I am now up the 15th :) Need to lash into training now next few days

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭milo101

Just got a call .. I am now up the 15th :) Need to lash into training now next few days

Did my medical the 2nd no dare for pct, refreshing emails all the time !! Best of luck next week

milo101 wrote: »
    Did my medical the 2nd no dare for pct, refreshing emails all the time !! Best of luck next week

Did my medical on 2nd too.. I would say you will be the 22nd which is when I was supposed to be.. Think there was a cancellation for the 15th so they just wanted to see would I take it. Should get your date in next few days.. Cheers!

Did my medical on 2nd too.. I would say you will be the 22nd which is when I was supposed to be.. Think there was a cancellation for the 15th so they just wanted to see would I take it. Should get your date in next few days.. Cheers!

Good stuff! I think everyone wants to get it done now! 😄

Good stuff! I think everyone wants to get it done now! 😄

I dont think will make too much of a difference doing it one week before but you never know.. Still havent met Sgt or Super yet so ha

• Advertisement

Still no word here either. Met Sgt and references were checked but haven't met Supt yet

Still no word here either. Met Sgt and references were checked but haven't met Supt yet

I've that done! Just waiting on pct, don't know what's the story with vetting though

I've that done! Just waiting on pct, don't know what's the story with vetting though

I was told the Supt would be in contact with me. That was 2 1/2 weeks ago? Still no word. I'm not sure what's the story with vetting either. I was chatting lads who were at my medical and only one had met both Sgt and Supt most had met none and no references contacted.
    I was talking to a lad in templemore and he said they're struggling to make numbers for October.

I was told the Supt would be in contact with me. That was 2 1/2 weeks ago? Still no word. I'm not sure what's the story with vetting either. I was chatting lads who were at my medical and only one had met both Sgt and Supt most had met none and no references contacted.
    I was talking to a lad in templemore and he said they're struggling to make numbers for October.

It would be great to get October but ild hate to give my current employer feck all notice, that's if I get in ok with the pct! I was lucky to be fair wen I met the sgt, got a phone call couple days later to meet supt!
    It will all sort it's self eventually we hope!!

Id love to get in in October but it could be December? Who knows at this point. It's the waiting that's a killer

Address by the Justice Minister at the Garda College,Templemore (10/09/15)

"To date there has been four intakes of Garda Trainees into the Garda College, giving a total intake of just under 400. A further 150 recruits will enter this college by year end, bringing total recruitment of Garda Trainees to 550. We promised seamless ongoing recruitment and we are delivering on that promise. It is my intention that there will be ongoing recruitment of trainee Garda, throughout 2016."

So, will this be one intake of 150 or two intakes of 75??

So, will this be one intake of 150 or two intakes of 75??

My guess is 150 in October and the next intake will be January, there are rumours that they have been struggling to get the numbers together for October....

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Corkrunner35

October[/
    for October

I think talks are of 150 in October alright! Let's hope we start hearing soon!

I think talks are of 150 in October alright! Let's hope we start hearing soon!

Fingers crossed!

• Advertisement

Fingers crossed!

Please god my Vetting is back by then ha You would expect would be late October wouldnt you?

Please god my Vetting is back by then ha You would expect would be late October wouldnt you?

Yea last intake started a month after the last PCT's so it's more than likely a late October start date...

Yea last intake started a month after the last PCT's so it's more than likely a late October start date...

Good! Cause I am away first week in October ha

Good! Cause I am away first week in October ha

Check your email PCT on the 22nd 😆

Check your email PCT on the 22nd 😆

Boo still nothing! Best of luck

Boo still nothing! Best of luck

Never mind my emails on my phone wasn't working! 22nd eeerrk!!

• Advertisement

Never mind my emails on my phone wasn't working! 22nd eeerrk!!

Time to ramp up the training

Time to ramp up the training

Yup!!!! Exciting & nervous !

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Peter2.0

No email from HR, No call from Sargent!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lovelyleitrim

Just got an email there from HRM, pct is on Tuesday 22nd @9am, anyone else get a date today?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Dublin112

Hey guys just before my medical public jobs rang me to say I would have to do an irish exam before getting in as I done foundation level irish in my leaving
    I got an email yesterday 2 months later giving me the date of the exam (October 8th)but as its to do with public jobs it said if I am successful in the exam my information will be forwarded to Garda Siochana for stage 5 even doh I have already done stage 5 (medical,physical) and met with my local seargent and superintendent .
    Anyone any idea as its a bit of a head wreck
    Thanks

• Advertisement

Dublin112 wrote: »
    Hey guys just before my medical public jobs rang me to say I would have to do an irish exam before getting in as I done foundation level irish in my leaving
    I got an email yesterday 2 months later giving me the date of the exam (October 8th)but as its to do with public jobs it said if I am successful in the exam my information will be forwarded to Garda Siochana for stage 5 even doh I have already done stage 5 (medical,physical) and met with my local seargent and superintendent .
    Anyone any idea as its a bit of a head wreck
    Thanks

Ok sound like you don't have the minimum standard required so public jobs are holding your application until you pass the test then you'll be considered for templemore. That's what I gather from you.
    Yeah lads 9am the 22nd.

Ok sound like you don't have the minimum standard required so public jobs are holding your application until you pass the test then you'll be considered for templemore. That's what I gather from you.
    Yeah lads 9am the 22nd.

Thanks just very confusing as I have already met with my super about my aplication. Given less than a month to study for an oral and written exam. Seems ridicoulas

Yeah lads 9am the 22nd.

Thanks just very confusing as I have already met with my super about my aplication. Given less than a month to study for an oral and written exam. Seems ridicoulas

Yeah lads 9am the 22nd.

They're running on a tight schedule for everyone.

Given less than a month to study for an oral and written exam. Seems ridicoulas

But you did say you were told two months ago you'd need to do an exam?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Have been looking elsewhere for an answer but someone here will be able to give me a definite one.

Do you need Irish for the guards anymore? I.e: if a child gets an exemption from Irish in primary school will it have repercussions if they wanted to join guards?

But you did say you were told two months ago you'd need to do an exam?

All I was told was that not told anything about what it was about what level of irish it would be so it wasn't very helpful to try an prepare for

All I was told was that not told anything about what it was about what level of irish it would be so it wasn't very helpful to try an prepare for

Yea true. What's your plan now? Are you going to get grinds?

heldel00 wrote: »
    Have been looking elsewhere for an answer but someone here will be able to give me a definite one.

Do you need Irish for the guards anymore? I.e: if a child gets an exemption from Irish in primary school will it have repercussions if they wanted to join guards?
    You do not need Irish but you need a second language.. You need English and another language

• Advertisement
Advertisement