Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missing cat mystery

• 30-05-2014 10:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭

I arrived home last night after walking the dog and found tufts of black and white hair at my front gate which I thought quite strange.We have a black and white tomcat and he's normally there to greet me when I get back,but he didn't appear.Roll on 12 or more hours and there's no sign of him yet,which is very unlike him.My fears are that a dog may have attacked him and that he's either dead and was taken away as a trophy by the dog,or he's gone to lick his wounds.I'm usually an optimistic sort of individual,but have bad vibes about this one.There was no evidence of blood,just tufts of hair at the gate and in the driveway.Obviously I've looked everywhere at this stage and have even contacted some local vets on the off chance that he may have been brought there to be patched up,but I've had no joy there either.I've also asked several neighbours if they saw or heard a commotion yesterday evening,but nothing untoward was seen or heard.A veterinary nurse suggested that he may have had a scrap with another cat and that it's unlikley a dog may have caught him - I'm not sure!If he was injured,is he likely to have gone to lick his wounds and then perhaps appear in a couple of days?
    I'm extremely baffled by this one!:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

It may have been a bad cat fight. 2 of our cats used to have really nasty fights. There'd rarely be any blood but I came home lots of times to find lumps of fur everywhere. Hope your cat comes home soon. He wouldn't have hidden in a neighbours shed or anything and gotten locked in would he?

A neighbour of ours cat escaped after a vet trip and was accidentally locked in someone's shed for a few days before he was found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bonedigger

It may have been a bad cat fight. 2 of our cats used to have really nasty fights. There'd rarely be any blood but I came home lots of times to find lumps of fur everywhere. Hope your cat comes home soon. He wouldn't have hidden in a neighbours shed or anything and gotten locked in would he?

A neighbour of ours cat escaped after a vet trip and was accidentally locked in someone's shed for a few days before he was found.

Thanks Pumpkinseeds,but I think he definitely came to some harm.I'm hoping it was a cat scrap and that he'll be back shortly,but hope to hell it wasn't a dog because I don't fancy his chances.Is a dog likely to carry away a cat that it's killed?It's certainly a little encouraging to hear that you have seen lumps of fur fly everywhere after the cats have fought,so I'm hoping that's the most likely scenario.It's just a waiting game now really.

Bonedigger wrote: »
    Thanks Pumpkinseeds,but I think he definitely came to some harm.I'm hoping it was a cat scrap and that he'll be back shortly,but hope to hell it wasn't a dog because I don't fancy his chances.Is a dog likely to carry away a cat that it's killed?It's certainly a little encouraging to hear that you have seen lumps of fur fly everywhere after the cats have fought,so I'm hoping that's the most likely scenario.It's just a waiting game now really.

I'd say if a dog was involved there'd have been blood. Honestly, there were times it looked like I could have made another cat out of the fur the 2 of pulled out of each other in bad fights. It used to look like a war zone and I'd have to take one or the other of them to the vet for treatment. He may just be laying low somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

If he comes back I recommend having him neutered as this is kitten season & Tom Cats will be fighting it out to breed.

One of my cats was killed by a dog & all we found was fur however there was a huge racket. Check to see if your neighbours heard anything.

Hopefully he will be back this evening. He could also just have wandered of in search of females!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

We think of cats as solitary predators, but they are preyed on, too. So when a cat will hide his pain so as not to alert predators that he is vulnerable. If very sick or injured, the cat will go to ground for the same reason. Don't give up hope yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

A neighbours cat recently turned up after a 2 week disappearance with a broken leg and very skinny. It's possible he went to ground after whatever broke his leg to stay safe til he was strong enough to get home.

Don't give up hope, cats are resilient.

Thanks a million everyone for your help.He has already been neutered and that very much stopped him wandering.But recently we've noticed a mean looking unneutered tom around the place which seemed to be bullying our boy.He may have been the culprit in this instance and if so,I wouldn't feel so downhearted,because it is likely our fella is lying low and will come back at some stage.We live in a cul-de-sac and most neighbours don't miss much around here,but saw nothing yesterday evening.That might be a good thing,because if a dog was involved there would have been a greater hullabaloo,I think?Here's hoping he'll be back soon.

I was speaking to a neighbour shortly after lunch and asked if he saw anything last night and he said "sure did you not hear the carry on altogether.....there was fur and claws flying everywhere!".He said my fella and a black cat were going hell for leather at it.I have to say I don't like to see them fight,but at least thankfully he wasn't torn asunder by a dog.The chances are he's now gone to ground as you guys have said and hopefully he will reappear before long.Phew!

Bonedigger wrote: »
    I was speaking to a neighbour shortly after lunch and asked if he saw anything last night and he said "sure did you not hear the carry on altogether.....there was fur and claws flying everywhere!".He said my fella and a black cat were going hell for leather at it.I have to say I don't like to see them fight,but at least thankfully he wasn't torn asunder by a dog.The chances are he's now gone to ground as you guys have said and hopefully he will reappear before long.Phew!

Thats good news. They may well damage each other but a cat fight is less worrying than a dog fight. Im sure he will come back in hos own time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

My cat went missing before for almost a month and I had given up hope of her ever coming back. One day I walked into the kitchen and there she was on the outside windowsill looking in at me as if nothing had happened! There wasn't a mark on her and she looked as though she was being fed. Still to this day have no idea where she went, she may have had a little holiday for herself! She hasn't wandered anywhere since. Hope your cat turns up op keep us updated!

• Advertisement

Thanks Anna.Yeah,I think the thoughts of him ending his days in the jaws of a dog would have broke my heart altogether!At least there's a glimmer of hope now that he's going to make his way back.Yes,I'll certainly keep you guys updated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

anna080 wrote: »
    My cat went missing before for almost a month and I had given up hope of her ever coming back. One day I walked into the kitchen and there she was on the outside windowsill looking in at me as if nothing had happened! There wasn't a mark on her and she looked as though she was being fed. Still to this day have no idea where she went, she may have had a little holiday for herself! She hasn't wandered anywhere since. Hope your cat turns up op keep us updated!

Same story with my childhood cat, disappeared for quite a long time (month/s), jumped in the kitchen one morning as if nothing ever happened!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

Knine wrote: »
    If he comes back I recommend having him neutered as this is kitten season & Tom Cats will be fighting it out to breed.

One of my cats was killed by a dog & all we found was fur however there was a huge racket. Check to see if your neighbours heard anything.

Hopefully he will be back this evening. He could also just have wandered of in search of females!

I've heard loads of cats fighting the last few weeks!! I didn't know what was going on!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I had an old tom cat that went missing for 10 months! We thought for sure he was a gonner so got two kittens in the meantime. Showed up on the windowsil one morning looking for his breakfast as if nothing ever happened! When he comes back though give him a good check over, cats can often get abscesses after a cat fight so just look out for any lumps/bumps!

I had an old tom cat that went missing for 10 months! We thought for sure he was a gonner so got two kittens in the meantime. Showed up on the windowsil one morning looking for his breakfast as if nothing ever happened! When he comes back though give him a good check over, cats can often get abscesses after a cat fight so just look out for any lumps/bumps!

If/when he comes back,I'll certainly look out for puncture wounds.Cat bites can be very nasty indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

We found our cat after six months, luckily we never gave up and were on the local animal rescue Facebook. They had found him a week previous and was ready for rehoming. He hadn't lost much wieght but doesn't go out for long periods anymore. Id love to know where he was. To think we could have lost him, the animal rescue couldnt afford a chip reader so couldn't scan him. We made a healthy donation and regularly support the fundraising efforts. I think anyone with a pet should do the same. Those people do great work

maguic24 wrote: »
    I've heard loads of cats fighting the last few weeks!! I didn't know what was going on!!
    They're on heat. All because so many people won't get them spayed/neutered:(

The warrior has returned.He's not in great shape by the looks of it.There's a significant wound on his side and he's walking rather gingerly too.I'll bring him to the vet first thing in the morning.I gave him a bite to eat and then he made his way upstairs.He's now lying on one of the beds which is something I usually don't allow,but will make an exception this time!:)
    I'll keep you guys posted.

OP I'm delighted to hear he came back, I'm sure after a vet visit and tlc he will be right as rain. Best wishes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

cats really must have a great pain threshold when our guy used to leave home with a full suitcase he could be gone for days on his return battered and bruised you would think he was at deaths door

but with some food and 24/48 hours tlc he was gone again all that
    was before we lets say emptied his suitcase rarely out of our sight now

• Advertisement

OP I'm delighted to hear he came back, I'm sure after a vet visit and tlc he will be right as rain. Best wishes.

This is embarrassing,but someone(no one will admit to it) left the door open this morning and he's disappeared again.I went ballisitc!:mad:I'm hoping he's not too far away this time and that he comes back before this evening so I can take him to the vet.I'm really concerned now that an infection will take hold before he gets veterinary help.He was very lethargic this morning and wobbly on his feet.He didn't eat or take on water either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭twomonkeys

If he didnt eat overnight he probably slept a lot. Chances are he'll be hungry soon and will turn up for his food.

twomonkeys wrote: »
    If he didnt eat overnight he probably slept a lot. Chances are he'll be hungry soon and will turn up for his food.

He didn't eat much when he came back last night,and didn't eat this morning at all,so he's likely to be ravenous at some stage during the day.At least he had a comfortable night last night.Fingers crossed he arrives back soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

So glad he came back, fingers crossed the vet can sort him out!

Delighted to hear he came back. Most vets have an emergency number for out of hours, although some have Saturday clinics. I'd definitely get him to the vet when he comes home. He probably needs an antibiotic and some painkillers. Plus he'd be more vulnerable when he's wobbly on his feet.

Delighted to hear he came back. Most vets have an emergency number for out of hours, although some have Saturday clinics. I'd definitely get him to the vet when he comes home. He probably needs an antibiotic and some painkillers. Plus he'd be more vulnerable when he's wobbly on his feet.

I'm lucky enough to have the veterinary clinic 500 metres away from me here.I took a walk over there this morning to see what time they're open until today and thankfully they'll be there until 6 p.m.,so hopefully he'll be back by then.

Steve,our tomcat,strolled back into camp today.I nabbed him before he could take off again,and brought him to the vets,who thankfully were open between 12 and 1 p.m.(he couldn't have timed it better!).As you can see from the image below,he has puncture wounds on his side,but that's about it.He was given both an antibiotic and pain killing jab.Believe it or not,he strolled out from under a small conifer tree in my front garden,so it seems he's been no more than 10 metres away from the front door all along.He's now sitting on top of some of my beloved garden plants,but I think I can excuse him this time.
    Who'd be a pet owner?!! :)

D5333896936C40B8B9A6CF3CDB0A096C-0000372749-0003577312-01024L-68636B6D3F264669BE2DAB0BAF1B6015.jpg

F81DE94E82AD4E21A50C74D75BDD3372-0000372749-0003577313-01024L-9103AB36F1F64CD3B15812E29FEDEAB1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Great news. Will he not lick the wounds Bonedigger?

Karl Stein wrote: »
    Great news. Will he not lick the wounds Bonedigger?

Believe it or not,he was doing so shortly after arriving back.Funny enough,the vet never mentioned anything about that,but we've been down this road before - he just won't wear a plastic collar(he goes ballistic!).I'm sure the antibiotic he got is strong enough to prevent him infecting the wound himself,but I'm not sure?The vet did say to observe him carefully over the following days and if I'm concerned about anything to return with him.Hopefully this is the end of this sorry saga.

• Advertisement

Ahh, he's so gorgeous. Do you know if anyone owns the other cat he fought with? I only ask as if funds allow and he isn't belong to someone, it might be worth getting the vet to neuter him to prevent further fighting with your own cat. I know a lot of people will say it isn't your cat and why should you pay etc etc and I get that, but in the long run it'd be a lot cheaper than having to take your own cat to the vet after fights.

Advertisement