Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More memory woes - can't add more than 2gb

Options
  • 30-05-2014 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    Still having trouble with Win 7 64bit / ATI Radeon and memory

Was running XP with 2x1GB ram and then had a faulty memory module. So bought 2x2GB but kept having trouble trying to install with 7gb. The ATI driver kept BSOD'ing.

Eventually got it installed by removing nearly everything, using the onboard graphics (also ATI) but often had an (ATI) driver crash. Long story short, I now have Win 7 running everything back including graphics card running dual screen but only when I have a single 2GB memory module in.
    • If I have 2x2GB in dual channel the PC works for a while then graphics crap out (sometimes white lines across the screens, sometimes blacking out). The audio is also compromised / distorted beyond recognition from log in even before the crash.
    • If I have 2x2GB in 2 separate channels it reboots before login screen.
    all memory detected by BIOS, and computer works fine in XP (even if it can't utilise all the memory)

Any hints? I'm suspecting one of the following but can seem to narrow it down?
    • Under-rated power supply
    • Damaged memory slot / motherboard
    • Some BIOS setting?
    Spec's below
    • AMD 4400+ X2 64
    • Gskill 2x2GB CL5 800mhx 1.8v
    • gigabyte ga-ma69g-sh3
    • ATI Radeon 4670
    PS I was > < this close to installing linux on it if it wasn't for Mrs Kagy's reluctance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Echoes675

I would try moving the single 2Gb stick through each slot on the motherboard to see if it is a slot failure

• Registered Users Posts: 83,277 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

the RAM is on the Motherboards QVL list?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

eoin_mcg wrote: »
    I would try moving the single 2Gb stick through each slot on the motherboard to see if it is a slot failure

I'll try this. More shutting down and restarting :-/
    But it crashed with memory in slots 1&2 and 1&3 and seemed to have no problem with 7gb in xp just before trying to install win7 ( admittedly only accessing 3gb)

Overheal wrote: »
    the RAM is on the Motherboards QVL list?

Not directly and I haven't looked at the chips . But it's a relatively old mobo (certified for vista) so not a whole lot on the list. But the specs are the same as corsair one on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

A 32bit windows os can only acess ,
    3gig ram ,approx
    if you want to acess 4-8 gig install a 64bit os,

I,M running vista 32bit, runs fine on 2gig ram.
    I just use it for music, web browsing.
    Obviously 2gig is not enough for running recent pc games.eg watchdogs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭paulheu

This is 7 year old hardware, it's time for an upgrade really..

. Did you flash the last BIOS release (F7)?
    . Do you see the issue with either DIMM placed by itself?
    . when placed both does it make a difference if they are swapped?
    . Is this with the GFX card or also with onboard gfx?
    . when using the card have you disabled onboard video?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1799416/whats-difference-4gig-sticks-ram-gig-stick-ram.html
    could you try 1 4gig ram stick in slot 0.
    If you use only one RAM stick your PC will run single channel mode. And your PC will have lower performance.
    IS this pc used for gaming.

riclad wrote: »
    A 32bit windows os can only acess ,
    3gig ram ,approx
    if you want to acess 4-8 gig install a 64bit os,

I know, that's why I was trying windows 7 64bit. The mobo is certified for Vista, so maybe I should get a copy of that :rolleyes: LOL
    paulheu wrote: »

This is 7 year old hardware, it's time for an upgrade really..
    Yeah I know it's old, but I was trying to eek out a bit more life. It should support up to 16gb RAM. The bios was updated 3? years ago, I must check if there's an update since (though I doubt it, as you said it's old hardware). if it was my machine I'd take this as an excuse to upgrade :-)
    riclad wrote: »
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1799416/whats-difference-4gig-sticks-ram-gig-stick-ram.html
    could you try 1 4gig ram stick in slot 0.
    If you use only one RAM stick your PC will run single channel mode. And your PC will have lower performance.
    IS this pc used for gaming.

No it's only used for the usual small business stuff for the mrs, but I occasionally used it to keep my Solidworks 3D skills from going rusty as its the only windows PC.
    I've put so much time into this now I think that I'll give up - it's running Win7 okay with the 2GB stick in single channel. I'll stick the extra sticks into my Linux machine as I sometime run VMs on that.
    If I get the inclination to fiddle with it again, I'll post up a reply, but in the mean time thanks for all your help.

Advertisement