Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flowers/Herbs/Plants ::: How attract BEE'S and butterflys ??

• 30-05-2014 10:27am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hello,

Are there any plants,flowers,etc I can plant now that would attract some extra bee's and butterflies to the Garden by July?.

Just because Gardening is REALLY REALLY GOD DAM FUN, the feeling is great. Its relaxing but at the same time exciting and stimulating.

Any idea please?

Thank you very much.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭LurkerNo1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

Last year I purchased a few packs of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FLOWER-PLANT-SEEDS-2000-40g-Wild-Scented-Butterfly-Bee-Bulk-Pack-Perennial-Mix-/261475733786?pt=UK_HomeGarden_Garden_PlantsSeedsBulbs_JN&var=560354054882&hash=item3ce12b111a#ht_3136wt_981 and basically springled them into some large pots and in no time the pots were overflowing and attracting butterflys.

I also agree, gardeing is great fun and very rewarding!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Kai123

Hello,

Sorry if there is a more recent thread about this!

I've been researching on how to attract bees (butterflies are a bonus). I would like to keep bees at some point but in my ground floor apartment in a Dublin suburb, the only recource I have is a small garden that surrounds my part of the apartment block.

I've looked at some seeds you can buy, but have also read that you should plant whats native in your area. I need bigger plants rather then wild flowers, since the management company will most likely complain if I change it to much.

Any knowledgeable person know what type of local Dublin plants I can try and grow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The absolute easiest is buddleia. I planted one last year and this year its very attractive, dark purple flowers attracted more butterflies than I have ever seen in the garden. Buddleia is the shrub you see on old buildings and waste sites, it has lilac coloured spikes of flowers. You can buy better coloured ones commercially. They are extremely easy to grow -cutting them back early in the year is a good idea to keep them under control.

buddleia looks ideal, any other smaller plants recommended for bees?

I could have one buddleia in the corner of the garden next to the fence, and then smaller flowers closer to the wall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

I would agree with Looksee that Buddleia are great to attract Butterfies - I live in Dublin 7 and they attract loads of Butterflies.
    Lavander is really great to attract bees - its small and compact compared to Buddleia. I have a variety called " Munstead" and the bees go mad for it!

Munstead, buddleia...

Any other recommendations? Was thinking of some big pots with wildflowers for a bit of variety.

Thanks GrumpyMe, two of the perfect guides!

Right now we just have some normal green leafy bushes and hedges. Hopefully next summer it will be a bee and butterfly holiday resort ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭Fleetwoodmac

Bee always hovering over " nepeta six hills" butterflies love verbena-bonariensis- they are both easy to grow and easy to propagate. Maybe building a little bee hotel too?

• Advertisement
Advertisement