Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shipping A Container To Ireland

Options
  • 30-05-2014 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

I've been in Australia for 4 years now and in the next 12-18 months thinking of heading back. I'm just looking for what people did shipping stuff home. I've picked up a fair bit of stuff over the past 4 years since I arrived with a backpack and having a child now adds a lot more stuff to contemplate shipping back

So I was thinking of getting a shipping container. Haven't started looking too much into prices etc, but how does it work?
    Do I pack all my stuff and bring it to the docks?
    What happens when it gets to Ireland does it get delivered to my home?
    How much does it cost?
    What if I don't fill a container?
    Is there any customs costs?

If anyone has done the same and has any advice I'd be interested to hear it.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Shy Ted

Don't ship the child. I think that's frowned upon in some countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Dats_rite

I'll check that out before I make any decisions...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

I'm in the same boat. Thinking about shipping a car and flat contents home.

I got a cost of $3,865 AU for a company to drop a 20ft container to my pace, I fill it, they pick it up, then drop it to my place in Ireland, I empty it and they take the container away.

Same deal for a 40ft: $5,475 AU.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭nostrils

It used to cost me €1700 shipping a container of goods from Germany so the $5,475 AU you where quoted seems about right

• Registered Users Posts: 8 RICH KID

I used a company a few years back to ship my car and stuff home from Canada, I had no hassle with them at all, loaded at my house in CA and dropped the container at my house in Dublin for the day while I unloaded it, then they took my car to a loading bay not far from the house and unloaded it there, iT all went smooth and a good price thats why i would recommend them.
    I don't have a number but site is masontransport.com they are based in Ireland.

as I type this my Wife tells me another globalshipping.ie are based in Dublin and are a good crowd as she uses them in work a lot.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement