Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

which i phone to buy

• 30-05-2014 1:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭

My 14year old daughter is looking for an i phone 4s but we dont know if we should get the 8gb or the 16gb Would 8gb be enough memory she uses bbm and snapchat and takes loads of photos

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭davo2001

You let a 14 yr old use snapchat? Hopefully supervised!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

The 16gb would be better if she takes lots of photos and videos and the like. If you could stretch to an iPhone 5 that'd be even better because they improved the camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

The 8gb is enough. An iPhone is already an expensive phone for a 14 year old without paying more for additional storage. Kids that age learn all the tricks of saving to the cloud etc. to make the most of what they have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Dudda wrote: »
    The 8gb is enough. An iPhone is already an expensive phone for a 14 year old without paying more for additional storage. Kids that age learn all the tricks of saving to the cloud etc. to make the most of what they have.

I agree with you 100% far too expensive but she has been saving since xmas and today I gave her the last 10 euro. I am still using what the kids call an antique phone yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

My advice is don't buy an iPhone the battery is terrible. Iv always been an Apple fan I have an iPhone, Mac (which is great) but tbh I'd never buy another iPhone again. My oldest fella is mad for my iPhone so as soon as I get a chance I'm gonna buy another Android and gladly give him my iphone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

obezyana wrote: »
    My advice is don't buy an iPhone the battery is terrible. Iv always been an Apple fan I have an iPhone, Mac (which is great) but tbh I'd never buy another iPhone again. My oldest fella is mad for my iPhone so as soon as I get a chance I'm gonna buy another Android and gladly give him my iphone.

My work android drains quicker than my iPhone. And I use the iPhone more each day!

OP, buy the 8gb and set your daughter up with Dropbox or similar to offload the photos on a regular basis thus keeping the phone free for music etc

kceire wrote: »
    My work android drains quicker than my iPhone. And I use the iPhone more each day!

OP, buy the 8gb and set your daughter up with Dropbox or similar to offload the photos on a regular basis thus keeping the phone free for music etc

Any android iv had has always had a better battery than my current iphone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I frequent the iOS and android forums here. Very rare that iOS people post in the android forum shilling iOS. Can't say the same from android though.

Get the 16gb. You can't upgrade after you buy. Also 4S is quite old at this stage. Due to be discontinued in September, May not run iOS 8 either which is due in September too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

obezyana wrote: »
    Any android iv had has always had a better battery than my current iphone.

That's strange.

kceire wrote: »
    That's strange.

Yeah iv had Sony Experia Play, HTC, Samsung Galaxy S4 all held better battery charges than my Iphone. I like my Iphone but the weak battery is the worst thing about it. The Gfs sister has the same Iphone as I do and she says the same thing, her battery doesn't last.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all your advice folks will take everything on board before i let her part with the money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Don't get the 8gb, which is actually around 6gb of actual user memory.

Apps use much more memory storage these days, like Facebook, whatsapp angry birds those apps alone can use up 2gb.

Then there's the camera. It's 8mp and shoots 1080P video with no option to reduce the quality. Your free 2gb drop box account will be filled up within weeks.

Even 16gb is barely enough these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Don't confuse the OP even more, memory is RAM not storage capacity :-P

I agree though, not much point going for the 8GB if you want it to last long term. It will fill up in no time and you will be forced to delete stuff all the time. 16 is a good balance.

Aodhagan wrote: »
    Don't confuse the OP even more, memory is RAM not storage capacity :-P

I agree though, not much point going for the 8GB if you want it to last long term. It will fill up in no time and you will be forced to delete stuff all the time. 16 is a good balance.

Fixed :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Get her a IP5 for a bit of future proofing. Adverts.ie. plenty of new stock there from upgraders trying to get some quick cash up. 4S was a superb piece of kit and still is but as creamy has posted, no guarantee that it will be supported for much longer, and that is the only reason I'd opt to avoid. No taking away from the handset though - it's fine.

Best advice: after purchase, insist on her wrapping it in a decent cover ( otterbox or the like ) because every 14yr olds will drop it and wreck the screen at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

No guarantee about future support. true but I would be shocked if it didn't support iOS 8. That might be the last OS it takes though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

i have to concur on what most posters here said,

i would if you can get her the iphone5c, ( they are in lots of colours now too, which would appeal to a 14 year old)

my sister got her first iphone at 14, she's now 17 and there was never any issues with her using one, only one of her friends knocked it out of her hand and cracked the screen, but she paid to get it fixed. so get a good cover too.

i would go with at least 16gb, with music and apps it will be used up fast,

and as for battery, my iphone 5 lasted longer than my (current) samsung s4, also at an event last saturday, everyone (including me) was asking for samsung chargers while those with iphones were still snapping photo's away with no battery shortages or chargers needed. one of my friends had the 4s,others had the 5, 5c, 5s....etc so don't worry about that.

Thanks again everyone for their advice. I know alot of you said go for the i phone 5 and we probably should given your advice but at the moment they are just too expensive. I know there are lots of second hand ones for sale but if there was a problem with it where do you go at least if you buy new you have the guarantee to fall back on. Shops closed tomorrow so I would say she will be at the 02 shop bright and early on Tuesday for the 4c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

lulu1 wrote: »
    Thanks again everyone for their advice. I know alot of you said go for the i phone 5 and we probably should given your advice but at the moment they are just too expensive. I know there are lots of second hand ones for sale but if there was a problem with it where do you go at least if you buy new you have the guarantee to fall back on. Shops closed tomorrow so I would say she will be at the 02 shop bright and early on Tuesday for the 4c
    The 4S from O2 is only available in 8GB, and it's €330. You will get a 5/5C new or damn close, boxed with all accessories, 16gb, with at least some warranty for that kind of money.
    http://www.adverts.ie/phone-fax/iphone-5-like-new/5599700

Stretch to €400 and you can buy rand new from adverts shop also.

Apples warranty doesn't end with the first buyer. As long as it's in warranty Apple will honour it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement