Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People consider me gay ??

• 30-05-2014 1:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

I'm a 26 year old straight male. Currently single and enjoying life. Recently at a friends house we were having a few drinks and discussing our sex/love lifes.

I mentioned that I had been with guys and transgenders. One of the men at the party called me gay. Obviously, I informed him that I wasn't, but he was quite aggressive and adamant in his opinion that I was.

Now, I know for a fact 100% I'm not gay. I fancy the odd guy and have been intimate with some, but never in a gay way. I love women and hope to be married one day.

Would you consider me gay ? Surely a good looking person is a good looking person no matter what gender ? It's not like I cuddled and shared my feelings with the guys after the event. I'd never be in a relationship with someone of the same gender, as I'm straight and have no interest.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

Hes probaly only slaging you childish really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭ryan101

Maybe you're one of those new trisexuals ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Being attracted to people of more than one gender doesn't mean you're gay. No need to put a label on what you are.

A lot of straight men will assume you're gay if you've slept with other men. Just ignore it. Your sexuality is personal. It's yours, so ignore whatever labels other people put on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

Well, when you say, "Surely a good-looking person is a good-looking person" (ie that you would be sexually attracted to such), you demonstrate that you aren't mono-sexual. Whether he considers you gay depends on his definition of the word. You referred to yourself as "straight", which most would define as being one with no sexual attraction to the same sex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Personally I wouldn't consider someone straight if they were attracted to people of the same sex, though I wouldn't think of you as gay either, but then it's not my place to assign labels to people. I don't know why this guy would be so bothered by it as to get aggressive over it, you're free to identify yourself however you want, it's none of his business really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

It's just showing up his own insecurity and fear of being seen as having any feelings towards other guys. I know a couple of straight guys who would occasionally have gay experiences, but that doesn't make them gay or interested in such a relationship. I think this is even why the whole construct of 'gay' 'straight' 'bi' can be a little oversimplified.

You know what you are and that's the important part. Leave him to his own opinions. Preference and orientation are two different things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭floggg

I wouldn't say your wholly straight to be honest. To me, straight is straight without an asterix - you have no interest in a person of the same sex.

To me, it seems you might be a little but bisexual in that you have some level of same sex attraction. You might be mostly straight and you can round up to straight if you like, but you objectively still fall into the bisexual category in my book.

That said, if you have an equal or greater attraction to girls than guys then you definitely aren't gay or mostly gay. I'm gay and I have no interest in any women, no matter how hot.

Just so you know though, gay, straight and bisexual aren't really defined by behaviour. They are defined by attraction. The fact that you don't cuddle with a guy or share feelings doesn't preclude you being gay or bisexual. What matters is that you might be attracted to him in the first place.

A celibate monk who never touches another human being sexually can still be straight or gay depending on their orientation. Equally a closeted gay man who married a woman and is intimate with her alone and never touches another guy is still gay.

All that said, who cares? If you were open at the party about your previous experiences I doubt you are too ashamed of them. And other peoples views on your consensual sexual activities should be irrelevant.

As long as you are happy and true to yourself how he, or I for that matter, define you shouldn't matter. Anybody who gets too caught up in defining somebody's orientation usually has their own insecurities and issues they should be worrying about.

If you see yourself as straight so be it. Don't change who you are or (try to change) what you like to fit into any one category or avoid being labelled with another.

Just be yourself and don't be ashamed of anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

As others have said, it's up to you what labels you apply to yourself, if any. I would consider you to be bisexual to some degree, based on your post, but again - it's up to you how you define yourself.

I am curious about the following statement, though:
    I fancy the odd guy and have been intimate with some, but never in a gay way.

Could you clarify?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I'm a 26 year old straight male. Currently single and enjoying life. Recently at a friends house we were having a few drinks and discussing our sex/love lifes.

I mentioned that I had been with guys and transgenders. One of the men at the party called me gay. Obviously, I informed him that I wasn't, but he was quite aggressive and adamant in his opinion that I was.

Now, I know for a fact 100% I'm not gay. I fancy the odd guy and have been intimate with some, but never in a gay way. I love women and hope to be married one day.

Would you consider me gay ? Surely a good looking person is a good looking person no matter what gender ? It's not like I cuddled and shared my feelings with the guys after the event. I'd never be in a relationship with someone of the same gender, as I'm straight and have no interest.

Why didn't you just say that you were bisexual (or that you have bisexual tendencies) as that seems to be how you described yourself. You've said you fancy the odd guy, been with men and tranxsexuals and been intimate with some yet primarily fancy women.

Out of interest, what do you mean being intimate with men but not in a gay way? I would think any kind of intimate act between two men (from kissing to holding eachother or being naked together in a sexual manner) would be gay or homosexual activity? Am I misunderstanding what gay means (even though I'm a 30 something gay man??)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 CraicWhores

Homosexuality is a spectrum. Please don't feel you need to be put in a box. I'm very similar to you, I have a wife but before I was married I was attracted to the odd man here and there. But I never made a move because of the bibles teachings. For instance, I had a strong attraction to Frank Mir...but I digress... The Greek civilisation appreciated all sexes and Alexander the Great was a great admirer of men so don't worry you're in good company. And more importantly don't suppress those feelings.
    Gadgie wrote: »
    Could you clarify?

No prob. It's only gay if the other male, excuse my French, cums inside you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

This has to be the weirdest definition of gayness I have ever heard.

This has to be the weirdest definition of gayness I have ever heard.

I suppose we all have different definitions. In my opinion, everything else could be classed as foreplay/experimentation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Howshocowpownw

Gadgie wrote: »
    As others have said, it's up to you what labels you apply to yourself, if any. I would consider you to be bisexual to some degree, based on your post, but again - it's up to you how you define yourself.

I am curious about the following statement, though:

Could you clarify?
    ongarboy wrote: »
    Why didn't you just say that you were bisexual (or that you have bisexual tendencies) as that seems to be how you described yourself. You've said you fancy the odd guy, been with men and tranxsexuals and been intimate with some yet primarily fancy women.

Out of interest, what do you mean being intimate with men but not in a gay way? I would think any kind of intimate act between two men (from kissing to holding eachother or being naked together in a sexual manner) would be gay or homosexual activity? Am I misunderstanding what gay means (even though I'm a 30 something gay man??)

Well, it was just sex. It wasn't straight/gay etc

Hard to explain but for e.g If a guy has anal sex with a girl that's labelled straight, if it's with a guy it's gay.

To me a nice ass is a nice ass. If one bends over at a glorhole it could be a guy or girl who cares. If it turns out a "straight" man has made mistake and had sex with a guy. Is he "gay" ? No.

Gay to me is loving a man and wanting to spend time with him outside of bed, care for him etc
    Homosexuality is a spectrum. Please don't feel you need to be put in a box. I'm very similar to you, I have a wife but before I was married I was attracted to the odd man here and there. But I never made a move because of the bibles teachings. For instance, I had a strong attraction to Frank Mir...but I digress... The Greek civilisation appreciated all sexes and Alexander the Great was a great admirer of men so don't worry you're in good company. And more importantly don't suppress those feelings.

Yeah, a simpler time. You're being a littler crude, but if you're the one taking then you're obviously already gay my friend. I am not.

Yeah, a simpler time. You're being a littler crude, but if you're the one taking then you're obviously already gay my friend. I am not.

I don't think so "friend." I have a wife and we're trying for a baby.

So when I think the odd guy is attractive that makes me homosexual? Whereas you haing intercourse with guys and transsexuals makes you less gay? Come on now.

I was being polite before... you do sound really quite gay from what you've said. I think you need to look into those suppressed feelings before you break a straight girls heart.

I don't think so "friend." I have a wife and we're trying for a baby.

So when I think the odd guy is attractive that makes me homosexual? Whereas you haing intercourse with guys and transsexuals makes you less gay? Come on now.

I was being polite before... you do sound really quite gay from what you've said. I think you need to look into those suppressed feelings before you break a straight girls heart.

I was the man in all those encounters. You not so much it seems.

I knew someone would throw out the suppressed feelings. I'm single atm but when I settle down it will obviously be with a woman.

I knew someone would throw out the suppressed feelings. I'm single atm but when I settle down it will obviously be with a woman.

The man in the transgender encounters? Whatever.

I've been to counsellors about my feelings so it's a bit of a sore point so please don't infer I have them.

On an unrelated note, do you come to NI often?

The man in the transgender encounters? Whatever.

I've been to counsellors about my feelings so it's a bit of a sore point so please don't infer I have them.

On an unrelated note, do you come to NI often?

They were women, you should educate yourself on transgender.

Sorry, didn't mean to hit a sore spot. You just reminded of the guy from the other night.

I do upto Donegal a lot, my family lives there. Lovely part of the world, had many a good night there haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Define "man".

I think you may have an overly narrow definition of the term.

They were women, you should educate yourself on transgender.

Sorry, didn't mean to hit a sore spot. You just reminded of the guy from the other night.

I do upto Donegal a lot, my family lives there. Lovely part of the world, had many a good night there haha

It's all good, looks like it can get a bit heated around here.

Donegal? Just a stones throw away. New time you're up we should catch a movie or something. Obviously not in a gay way haha.

So is it all good if he pulls out in time?

And how does safe sex affect the analysis? Is cumming inside a condom technically "inside you"?

• Advertisement

floggg wrote: »
    So is it all good if he pulls out in time?

And how does safe sex affect the analysis? Is cumming inside a condom technically "inside you"?

Sorry for the confusion, I meant an act which results in the man finishing while still inside you, so a condom counts. However, finishing on the back is a grey area for me.

On second thought, The bible says "lay with a man" so any prolonged penetration is homosexual. But there are a lot of alternatives which are just extended foreplay.

Oh so much lol. If you are ****ing a dude then you're both the men in the equation. That's kind of the point of gay make sex.

And being the one penetrating the other doesn't make it any less of a gay experience or make you any more of a man than the one you are penetrating.

You have a seriously fragile sense of masculinity if you think such an arbitrary distinction is relevant. And you have no real sense of masculinity if you think sex endangers it.

As somebody who admits to having gay sex every now and then, throwing around gay as an insult is a bit silly. People in glass houses etc.

But there are a lot of alternatives which are just extended foreplay.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Does that mean lesbian sex that doesn't include penetration isn't sex?

Sorry for the confusion, I meant an act which results in the man finishing while still inside you, so a condom counts. However, finishing on the back is a grey area for me.

On second thought, The bible says "lay with a man" so any prolonged penetration is homosexual. But there are a lot of alternatives which are just extended foreplay.

Nope. That's not what makes it gay.

It's the getting aroused and having any sexual contact with another man that makes it gay. Doesn't matter who comes where.

Sorry to break it to you both, but any same sex sexual contact is a homosexual act.

(That doesn't necessarily mean the people are involved are gay. Gay/bisexual/straight are orientations, they are about desires and attractions, rather than specific actions).

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭diegroblers

Yes, you're gay.

But that's okay; you're obviously in denial, acceptance will come later.

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Define "man".

I think you may have an overly narrow definition of the term.

It's hard to explain on a forum, where exactly I'm coming from. People use the word "gay" in a loose everyday way. So by that outlook, I certainly consider myself straight. To me gay has nothing to do with sex.
    It's all good, looks like it can get a bit heated around here.

Donegal? Just a stones throw away. New time you're up we should catch a movie or something. Obviously not in a gay way haha.

Not going to lie I'm a little uncomfortable right now. Would you PM a pic , I like to know the face I'm replying too.
    Oh so much lol. If you are ****ing a dude then you're both the men in the equation. That's kind of the point of gay make sex.

And being the one penetrating the other doesn't make it any less of a gay experience or make you any more of a man than the one you are penetrating.

You have a seriously fragile sense of masculinity if you think such an arbitrary distinction is relevant. And you have no real sense of masculinity if you think sex endangers it.

As somebody who admits to having gay sex every now and then, throwing around gay as an insult is a bit silly. People in glass houses etc.

So what kind of sex ? Every now and again, would you consider yourself "straight" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭diegroblers

Oh, come on, this is so obviously a troll!

Yes, you're gay.

But that's okay; you're obviously in denial, acceptance will come later.

Take America for e.g if people in prison have sex are they gay ? I find it funny that a "Gay" man could have an experience with a woman and people wouldn't brand him straight. Yet the straight that in certain circumstances gets with a guy will certainly be labelled "Gay"

Take America for e.g if people in prison have sex are they gay ? I find it funny that a "Gay" man could have an experience with a woman and people wouldn't brand him straight. Yet the straight that in certain circumstances gets with a guy will certainly be labelled "Gay"

Ummm, actually you do know there's such a thing as bisexuality, right? It's this amazing thing where you're attracted to, and can get aroused by, members of both genders.

• Advertisement

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Does that mean lesbian sex that doesn't include penetration isn't sex?

The bible says "to lay with a man." So women aren't really included in that sense. But in my opinion it is gay to a lesbian when one of the participants climaxes without the aid of a male/toys.
    Nope. That's not what makes it gay.

It's the getting aroused and having any sexual contact with another man that makes it gay. Doesn't matter who comes where.

Sorry to break it to you both, but any same sex sexual contact is a homosexual act.

(That doesn't necessarily mean the people are involved are gay. Gay/bisexual/straight are orientations, they are about desires and attractions, rather than specific actions).

So being appreciative of the opposite sex is gay? For instance if Lady Gaga and Brad Pitt attempted to kiss me (sexual contact?), I would reject the former and see what the latter feels like. I think there's quite a difference between natural curiosity and being gay. That's why, like the bible says, it's when you complete sex with a man you can then be classified as gay.
    Not going to lie I'm a little uncomfortable right now. Would you PM a pic , I like to know the face I'm replying too.

Sent.

Ummm, actually you do know there's such a thing as bisexuality, right? It's this amazing thing where you're attracted to, and can get aroused by, members of both genders.

I get turned on and would be willing to have sex with any half decent women. Yet in men it's very rare and it's purely sex. My attraction to women is so much stronger . Bi, strikes me as 50-50

It's hard to explain on a forum, where exactly I'm coming from. People use the word "gay" in a loose everyday way. So by that outlook, I certainly consider myself straight. To me gay has nothing to do with sex.

So what kind of sex ? Every now and again, would you consider yourself "straight" ?

Straight means more or less exclusively attracted to the opposite gender.

Bisexual means attracted to both genders to varying degrees (and not necessarily equally).

Gay means more or less exclusively attracted to the same gender.

So given that I am attracted to men, and in a relationship with one, I could never be straight. I could perhaps have some opposite sex attractions, but that would make me bisexual. Just because I happened to think a passing woman was hot, it couldn't make me temporarily straight.

But as it happens I would consider myself more or less exclusively attracted to men, so I'm all the way gay.

And there is not specific sex acts which are gay or straight. It's not the type of sex which determines whether its a homosexual or heterosexual act, it's who you have it with. So whatever type of sex (oral, anal etc) or foreplay a man has with another man, its a homosexual act.

there are lots of gay couples for example who never have penetrative anal sex, but as long as they have some form of sex, they are still engaged in homoseuxal acts.

Equally, if a wife pegs her husband (i.e. ****s him with a strap on), they are both engaged in a heterosexual sex act.

If a lesbian pegs her wife (anal or vaginal), its a homosexual sex act though.

The bible says "to lay with a man." So women aren't really included in that sense. But in my opinion it is gay to a lesbian when one of the participants climaxes without the aid of a male/toys.

Ok, so strap-on sex isn't sex? LOL.
    I get turned on and would be willing to have sex with any half decent women. Yet in men it's very rare and it's purely sex. My attraction to women is so much stronger . Bi, strikes me as 50-50

You should read up on the subject. There's a huge continuum of sexuality. And some posit the existence of emotional and sexual bisexuality as two different, but related, sexualities. As in you can be emotionally and romantically more attracted to women, but prefer men sexually. And vice versa. I don't think anyone is 100% straight or gay. I consider myself firmly a lesbian but I'll be honest, there's a few guys I could probably go for if I were single.

So being appreciative of the opposite sex is gay? For instance if Lady Gaga and Brad Pitt attempted to kiss me (sexual contact?), I would reject the former and see what the latter feels like. I think there's quite a difference between natural curiosity and being gay. That's why, like the bible says, it's when you complete sex with a man you can then be classified as gay.

Sent.

I will be up visting family in late June. PM'd my number in case you fancy taking in a game or few pints.

Just because I'm normally stuck with older relatives during my stay.

You should read up on the subject. There's a huge continuum of sexuality. And some posit the existence of emotional and sexual bisexuality as two different, but related, sexualities. As in you can be emotionally and romantically more attracted to women, but prefer men sexually. And vice versa. I don't think anyone is 100% straight or gay. I consider myself firmly a lesbian but I'll be honest, there's a few guys I could probably go for if I were single.

And is that because of a connection to them as people ? Or is it staright out attracted to them ?

As I said, the bible doesn't say anything about lesbians, only gay men. I jst said climaxing with another woman is the line I draw.
    I will be up visting family in late June. PM'd my number in case you fancy taking in a game or few pints.

Just because I'm normally stuck with older relatives during my stay.

Sounds perfect. The wife is away working in England from the 23rd - 30th June, she works with with the blind dogs. There are a couple of fun bars here, if not, I'm sure we'll find something to do.

• Advertisement

Sent.

Honestly, F off with the bible definitions. It isn't a scientific authority and shouldn't be quoted in any intelligent debate about sexuality or gender.

In any event, it categories all non-marital and procreative penis in vagina sex in the same manner as being unnatural and sinful. so it equally covers and prohibits lesbian sex.

And it never says that about "completing sex" and being gay. it never even mentions the terms gay or homosexuality. if you are going to quote it, i suggest reading it first.

As i have said umpteen times, sexual orientation is about attraction. If you are attracted to both genders, you fall into the category of bisexual. If you are attracted to women generally, but are sexually attracted to some men, then you are bisexual.

you are only gay if you are only attracted to men. so since both of you are primarily attracted to women, you can never by gay. you might occasionally engage in a homosexual act, but you still won't be gay.

you probably can't really say you are all the way straight though, since you are attracted to some degree to men. since theres attraction to both, you'd be bisexual as i said.

As I said, the bible doesn't say anything about lesbians, only gay men. I jst said climaxing with another woman is the line I draw.

I didn't realise the bible was a technical dictionary for sex. Silly me.

Sounds perfect. The wife is away working in England from the 23rd - 30th June, she works with with the blind dogs. There are a couple of fun bars here, if not, I'm sure we'll find something to do.

So what about if one lesbians do the exact same things to each other but gets off but the other doesn't? Did only one person have sex even if they both did the same thing?

I'm finding the arbitrary lines and definitions confusing.

Cool, ah that's a really good job. I love dogs, sounds great. I'll book into a hotel if we have a drink and I can't drive back to my relatives.

Cool, ah that's a really good job. I love dogs, sounds great. I'll book into a hotel if we have a drink and I can't drive back to my relatives.

Be safe, boys. ;)

• Advertisement

Be safe, boys. ;)

And remember one of you is married!

Be safe, boys. ;)
    And remember one of you is married!

haha Very funny.

Honestly, F off with the bible definitions. It isn't a scientific authority and shouldn't be quoted in any intelligent debate about sexuality or gender.

In any event, it categories all non-marital and procreative penis in vagina sex in the same manner as being unnatural and sinful. so it equally covers and prohibits lesbian sex.

And it never says that about "completing sex" and being gay. it never even mentions the terms gay or homosexuality. if you are going to quote it, i suggest reading it first.

As i have said umpteen times, sexual orientation is about attraction. If you are attracted to both genders, you fall into the category of bisexual. If you are attracted to women generally, but are sexually attracted to some men, then you are bisexual.

you are only gay if you are only attracted to men. so since both of you are primarily attracted to women, you can never by gay. you might occasionally engage in a homosexual act, but you still won't be gay.

you probably can't really say you are all the way straight though, since you are attracted to some degree to men. since theres attraction to both, you'd be bisexual as i said.

That's a little offensive to my religion but okay.

Premarital sex doesn't cover lesbian sex. Because it isn't sex per say, there are no sperms exchanged, a baby cannot be made.

As for "all the way straight," come on now. Thinking a couple of guys are cute, out of the millions on earth doesn't make you gay in the slightest. If anything it makes you very straight because you only fancy 0.0001% of the guys out there. So one might say they were 99.999% straight.
    I didn't realise the bible was a technical dictionary for sex. Silly me.

True but it's the definition of morally correct sex.

haha Very funny.

lol, I think they think we're gay.

I'll send you some pictures of my wife, she's stunning.

Nice, I joined online dating last week. POF, in a week 195 women wanted to meet me, currently chatting with 5/6 stunners.

No, we think you're "straight". :p

Nice, I joined online dating last week. POF, in a week 195 women wanted to meet me, currently chatting with 5/6 stunners.

Either trolls or idiots!

Either trolls or idiots!

Not gonna lie I payed up. So they put you in the shop window a fair bit. I'm quite a good looking guy too. Was also on it before and had some luck.

Not gonna lie I payed up. So they put you in the shop window a fair bit. I'm quite a good looking guy too. Was also on it before and had some luck.

I'm gonna go with..."idiot"!

I've got a few friends that have a good success with that website, one guys is getting a date per week. From your picture I can see why you're doing well. NO HOMO. haha.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement