Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Joystiq deal for Maya/Unity/Game Salad- Any Good?

• 30-05-2014 1:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    came across this offer on Joystiq, was wondering if anyone could tell me if it's decent?
    It's a 1 year access to a course with the School of Interactive Design, covering GameSalad, Unity, Photoshop, Illustrator and Maya.
    I'm quite comfortable with programming, but am really lacking in the more "front-end" stuff like making models or even designing 2D graphics, was wondering if this'd be a good thing to pick up and learn those techniques?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18 taelor

I haven't done the course or anything but I just want to give one piece of advice:
    If you want just general knowledge on development processes of game design, game programming and game art or if you want to test out several areas of game development to see which one you like the most and will therefore pursue that full time, then yes this course looks good for that. Of course, if you have no experience with game development in general, this is definitely worth an look as an introduction (not that it is hard to self teach this though).

If your looking to master these various sides of game development then its worth knowing it is near impossible to have expertise in all these areas at once. I would particularly point to the Art side as it can take a hell of a long time to master 2d or 3d art (especially 3d art). If your quite comfortable with programming you will probably find Unity the coolest part of the course. Of course, if you have the time to train yourself on all aspects beyond a course, then go for it, you could be a valuable player in the game industry some day.

Personally, I trained in programming and design officially but have self trained in other things like art and music to a certain degree so I can do them too in rough way, not perfect, but enough to give my artist or musician a good idea of what I need. If you do decide to do the course though, don't forget to come back and let us know here how it was!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

Hey, thanks for the reply, you've given me a lot to think about there!
    You make a valid point, I'm never going to master all these aspects, and personally, my strength definitely lies in coding, it'd just be nice to have a bit of knowledge on the graphics side of things.
    I've sat on this long enough, will give it a go, and see how I get on!

Advertisement