Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reactions to your dogs

• 30-05-2014 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭

What breed do you have and what type of reactions/comments do you get from people when you take them out in public?

We have a greyhound and a lurcher and we get:

People really eager to talk to us about them, having heard they make great pets.

People asking if we race them.

People crossing the road while scooping up their kids and dogs out of the way as they think they are vicious.

People mistakenly assuming that they need loads of exercise.

Men in white vans wanting to buy them from us:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

I have a fabulous male black cocker spaniel…. who is practically perfect in everyway :D

Comments I have gotten is:

Are you sure he’s a cocker? He is MASSIVE …….. (He is pretty tall for a cocker, probably more of a springer’s size in all honesty)

You need to cut down on his treats….. he’s pretty pudgy…. (he’s barrel chested infact, and perfect weight according to my vet)

Another… ohh look at the cocker… isn’t he lovely…. pity his tail was cut too short (when we got him he was already docked)

Lots of people pull their kids away when they see his dogmatic head collar….. eh it’s a walking aid (to stop pulling) not a muzzle!

Another one…. dogs belong outside not inside the kitchen and certainly not in the living room on the couch, due to all the “dander” (swear to god he actually used that word)…

A family member said recently…
    “what he’s 9, he’ll be dead soon, you’ll have to get another one?” …
    My answer was “ahh it will be a long time before I get another dog, as he’s not replaceable”…..
    His “response sure he’s only a dog of course he’s replaceable”

what’s not too love ?????

250450_2135719876801_5357105_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I have a black and tan cocker, but its pretty obvious at this stage he is a cross between a setter and a cocker.

So we are always asked what is his breed.

Isn't his colouring amazing

He is a bit mental is he (he is batshít insane in fact)

He loves the water does he?

gimmick wrote: »
    I have a black and tan cocker, but its pretty obvious at this stage he is a cross between a setter and a cocker.

So we are always asked what is his breed.

Isn't his colouring amazing

He is a bit mental is he (he is batshít insane in fact)

Ive always loved black and tan cockers! they are stunning!!
    they are all bat**** insane (until 2-3 years of age) but they are always full of character

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

gimmick wrote: »

Someone asked me the same question recently....while I was walking three dripping smiley dogs away from the local lake! Was tempted to say no they hate water....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Pic

1098488_10201506619645169_431455190_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

People ask me if my Spinone is a Labradoodle. It makes me want to cry. Especially when they say they have a Labradoodle just like him at home!

Wow Gimmick, he is just stunning!! Beautiful markings!!
    look at that happy face :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I have a Germany sheperd and his a big fella. Out walking him last week and 2 women walk out of the house in front of me and stroll past. A few seconds later one of them roars back at me to keep him beside me.

Thing is he was right beside me, head down and paid no attention to them at all like.

He's a big softy in reality haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

"Aren't they gorgeous"

"Are they related?"

And men wanting to buy them from me.

They freak my mother out for some reason. She'll yell at me to come get them because they're sniffing her legs! She does prefer them to my brother's dogs though, because my pair have manners and don't get up on the sofa without asking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I don't have my own dog but I use to walk a friends every day when she was at work. Every day I'd get:

What breed is she? (A cocker spaniel)

She's full of energy alright! (As she lost her sh*t because someone said hello!!)

And, joy of joys, lots of very pretty ladies just saying hello. I'm telling you, that dog was the ULTIMATE wingman. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

2 Siberian Huskies... Hugo is 3 and Jack is not yet 6 months. They're walked side by side so, as you can imagine - get a lot of attention.

The oddest thing we get asked?
    Are they puppies. Ya, Hugo is a 27kg puppy??? That's an odd one.

The instant question is 'are they related' or 'mother and puppy'? They're identically marked - so I guess people just assume they're related. Which of course they are. Half brothers.

And we get a lot of 'what breed are they'?

Or, are they vicious? Ya, be careful before they lick you to death.

The only negative...
    When 'husky type dogs' (what are they?) are covered in the press as having mauled a child, etc... Lots of crossing the road to avoid us.

DDB99DD5-B6D7-4203-84E0-DC70AF3F133B_zpsrunomsy0.jpg

And, joy of joys, lots of very pretty ladies just saying hello. I'm telling you, that dog was the ULTIMATE wingman. ;)

This times a million. See above!!!

My OH has returned from the shop to find me mid conversation with many's a pretty lady... And I'm no oil painting!

Hooked wrote: »
    This times a million. See above!!!

My OH has returned from the shop to find me mid conversation with many's a pretty lady... And I'm no oil painting!

lol my OH does be delighted with this as well

2 Siberian Huskies... Hugo is 3 and Jack is not yet 6 months. They're walked side by side so, as you can imagine - get a lot of attention.

The oddest thing we get asked?
    Are they puppies. Ya, Hugo is a 27kg puppy??? That's an odd one.

The instant question is 'are they related' or 'mother and puppy'? They're identically marked - so I guess people just assume they're related. Which of course they are. Half brothers.

And we get a lot of 'what breed are they'?

Or, are they vicious? Ya, be careful before they lick you to death.

The only negative...
    When 'husky type dogs' (what are they?) are covered in the press as having mauled a child, etc... Lots of crossing the road to avoid us.

Honest to god.... they are stunning, makes me weak at the knees!!

I WANT ONE..... NO FECK THAT I WANT TWO!! RIGHT NOW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

LOL Vel, those are the reactions I get with my greyhound too! She's all black so might seem intimidating to the uninitiated, so I put a big pink flowery fleece coat on her. :D

Re: the men in white vans - a friend of mine helpfully suggested I put a coat on Josie with the following embroidered in big letters on the side: "DON'T BOTHER - I'M NEUTERED." :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

My two setters -

"Are they related?"

No, one we got as a pup, the other was a rescue, from different sides of the country.

"But they look so alike!"

No, they're just the same colour and size, He's got a big white patch and paw & nose markings while she's solid red.

"Are you going to breed them?"

No, they're both "decommissioned"

"Aren't they so well behaved!"

Not all the time, they are experts at putting on a good show for visitors but given half a chance they can be a pair of brats!

xdZfCOYl.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

309057.jpg

'oh wow....that's the biggest Collie I've ever seen!! What is he?'

'He's a giant Collie, they're bred out Wesht in Connemara to herd cows'

(he's a collie/newfoundland cross we're pretty sure)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

"Are they related?"

No, one we got as a pup, the other was a rescue, from different sides of the country.

"But they look so alike!"

No, they're just the same colour and size, He's got a big white patch and paw & nose markings while she's solid red.
    I have to admit that that always bugs me. People claim mine are identical but other than being small and blackish they're really not. It makes me want to say "Well, there are these things that are called breeds and over many, many years people have developed these breeds so that they all look pretty much the same"

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭ra0044

The other day walking our whipet Bertie I got -

Damn you'd want to feed him more you can see his bloody ribs.

Is he a dwarf greyhound.

And my all time favorite from a very knowledgable sounding lady who informed her son he was obviously a long legged jack russell. When I told her hecwas a whippet she told me I was being rediculous because you can't buy them in that colour.

As for the lads in the white vans who want to buy him/breed from him etc. I tell them he has a heart murmur and would be no good to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LawlessBoy

Have a year old Alaskan Malamute and a 7 yr old King Charles. They're walked together.

Constantly asked is the Mal a husky, fair enough they could be similar looking if you didnt know what you wore looking at. She was alot smalled at the time to so as a pup was understandable.

Had them down the memorial park in dublin there last week and there was a man walking a black husky and the differences are so huge between the two breeds when you see them side by side. One skinny legged, slim and smalled then my bear of a thing that is as dozy as anything running over to say hello and then running away because shes afraid of her own shadow.

King charles dosent get as much attention anymore. When he was a pup thought every second person would comment about him being so small and cute :P

• Advertisement

LawlessBoy wrote: »
    Have a year old Alaskan Malamute...

Constantly asked is the Mal a husky, fair enough they could be similar looking if you didnt know...

Had them down the memorial park in dublin there last week and there was a man walking a black husky and the differences are so huge between the two breeds when you see them side by side. One skinny legged, slim and small

Skinny legged, slim and small? Not my two. :)

See that paw, second from the left. That belongs to a not yet 6 month old Husky!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

I get a lot of oh wow is your dog a pitbull? (he is a 40kg american bulldog)
    Does he eat a lot?
    And of course, crossing the road while screaming bloody murder because my dog looked at them, that is always entertaining

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ne67uf0z0cgnpsb/2012-12-07%2014.30.39.jpg

Also, for some reason all knackers seem to be in love with Rocky!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LawlessBoy

Skinny legged, slim and small? Not my two. :)

See that paw, second from the left. That belongs to a not yet 6 month old Husky!

Not ment in that sortve way i probably said it wrong. I ment weight wise Mals are heavier and its noticable when theyre side by side

LawlessBoy wrote: »
    Not ment in that sortve way i probably said it wrong. I ment weight wise Mals are heavier and its noticable when theyre side by side

Ah, I know what you mean!

I got told my Border male would be a fab badger dog- when am I breeding.........

Eh for you never!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

When I used to walk Rusty, I used to hear what a beautiful girl - er no he's a boy!!

With Tara, I get oh she's so cute before bending straight down to stroke her, whilst I quickly try to stop them before she snaps at them!
    Hate people who don't ask if they can touch!
    Just cos she's small and cute doesn't mean she's sweet! To strangers anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Vel wrote: »
    What breed do you have and what type of reactions/comments do you get from people when you take them out in public?

We have a greyhound and a lurcher and we get:

People really eager to talk to us about them, having heard they make great pets.

People asking if we race them.

People crossing the road while scooping up their kids and dogs out of the way as they think they are vicious.

People mistakenly assuming that they need loads of exercise.

Men in white vans wanting to buy them from us:eek:

All of this with my lurcher and also my favourite, when people pick up small dogs because apparently mine can't tell the difference between a dog and a rabbit. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭wendydoll

"Are you training him to be a blind dog?"

Nope, just training him to be a guide dog...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

I have two shetland sheepdogs, my tricolour never gets much more than a "how cute!" or a "little lassie" comment.

But my blue merle? He gets all the attention, I have had people say to me "oh, she (even though he's a boy) must be quite old" their face when I tell them "nope, he's only 2" is priceless. I've been asked has he always looked the way he does because he is so gray. Someone even asked was he my tricolour's mother when in reality they are brothers!

Someone once asked me was he a "special breed" whatever that means.

Besides this, I rarely go a walk without hearing a comment about lassie, "it must take a lot of time to brush them" or "do they shed?" I also get the occasional comments about them being miniatures when they are actually full size.

Here's a picture of my boy, please excuse how damp he looks! Ha: http://imgur.com/MsqWFaj

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

We have a Shih Tzu. We always get:

Is it a puppy? No - he's 5. Won't get any bigger...
    Isn't she gorgeous! - Uh despite the looks, it's actually a little boy.
    Will you breed him? No - he's neutered. In any case, he has no papers.

And the best one? Is it your dog?? OF COURSE HE'S MY BLOODY DOG!! Black people do like dogs, you know!! :D

Advertisement