Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reactions to your dogs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

I always get "aww look at that wee puppy!" and "what age is your puppy?"
    It's so funny telling people she is 13 years old.

The most annoying to me is "what a lovely shih tzu!" and I am met with blank stares when I say she is a lhasa apso.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

Vel wrote: »
    What breed do you have and what type of reactions/comments do you get from people when you take them out in public?

We have a greyhound and a lurcher and we get:

People really eager to talk to us about them, having heard they make great pets.

People asking if we race them.

People crossing the road while scooping up their kids and dogs out of the way as they think they are vicious.

People mistakenly assuming that they need loads of exercise.

Men in white vans wanting to buy them from us:eek:

I had a Whippet and was almost attacked a few times people saying I should feed him more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

I get a lot of mixed reactions with my Cato. He's a German Shepherd mix and quite big lad.

I've had people cross the road as soon as they catch sight of him.

People scoop up their little dogs or pull them aside as if he's going to eat them or something.

People ask me how often i have to walk him "Jesus, he's a big lad isn't he? I bet he's the legs walked off you".

LOADS of people ask what breed he is. A lot of people think he's some sort of labrador/doberman/rottweiler mix.

They ask where i got him (he's a rescue).

Am I breeding him (he's neutered).

They ask about him temperament.

They ask what I feed him.

Can they pet him (always yes!)

Yesterday for example, I brought him for a stroll about town and went for a drink afterwards. He got so many rubs from strangers, he was delighted. I brought him into the pub then which was jammed and he got loads of positive attention which is really nice. I swear he can spot who's a soft touch and will pet him a mile away :rolleyes:

This is him this time last year, he's about 1 and half in it.
    969628_10151499735438371_91852954_n.jpg

This is more recent, me and him messing.
    10308881_10152203379163371_5609997266585841896_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I always get "aww look at that wee puppy!" and "what age is your puppy?"
    It's so funny telling people she is 13 years old.

The most annoying to me is "what a lovely shih tzu!" and I am met with blank stares when I say she is a lhasa apso.

Yeah my SiL gets the same comments with her Lhaso Apso every time! P1sses her off no end!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

We usually get more comments 'like lovely dogs' (3 greys, 1 collie and a 1 spaniel x) from tourists than locals. We have appeared in a few holiday snaps too :). Locals are more likely to ask do we race them! One morning we met a lovely American lady who was staying in a B&B nearby. We exchanged pleasantries and had a few words about dogs in general . We met her again the next morning, starting chatting again and she came on the walk with us so we handed over one of the dogs to her to walk. Lovely way to start the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

adore all the dog photos. they are seriously cute:)
    we have a 7 yr old Westie. Rescue dog. Someone's loss was truly our gain.
    She's a dote. Brilliant with everyone and because she's slightly smaller than most Westies is often for a pup!!

American Akita

All I ever get is "Wow, gorgeous dog..."

My guy is always on a lead and muzzled so people never have any ammo apart from how cool looking he is.

They tend to ask me about him and I sum it up like this: "Amazing dog, very loyal to his owners, doesn't have much time for anyone else...and when guests are over I just send him to his bed as he doesn't like people in the house coming near him and this makes him an excellent guard dog."

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I was probably one of those that asked. I'd never seen or heard of an American Akita and was passing a guy walking one. Like that I asked what is he? Do you have to walk him loads? He's fabulous!! Now I feel like a loon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭ellavin

My st Bernard gets lots of reaction! Hes so big but a pure gentle giant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

People comment that my lab it too skinny ...

Ehhh no he's just not a tub of lard like most haha, ollie has little tapered waist and is walked a lot!

My 12 year old gets a lot of comments, being an older lurched and such. She has fatty lumps in her stomach around her mammary glands (she was neutered at first heat, never bred and we test the lumps every three months to make sure they don't turn cancerous) which makes her look larger than she actually is.
    I always get people asking am I selling the puppies and would they make good lampers or ratters. .. Again usually by the men in the white vans :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Had two Papillons. Always got-

'Is that a chewawy?(Chihuahua)' or 'Look at the little Chihuahua!'

'Ah its a Papillon. French dog bla bla bla'

Sometimes I'd just say 'eh...yep'. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Walking the huskies I get one of the following, guaranteed every time:

Where's your sledge?

Are you walking them, or are they walking you?

Is it a wolf?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭Kali_Kalika

My dog Kali attracts loads of attention. In busy places it can be hard to get from A to B at times due to so many stopping and wanting to pet or or chat or compliment her. :D Its a great complaint! :D

:D A few weeks ago she and I made an adventure to Dublin City to meet a friend, we arrived early so took her for a walk around the Liffey and Temple Bar - we sat on the boardwalk for about 15 minutes just soaking up some sun - and in that sitting time she was bought and handed a 99, had a swarm of little girls around her putting Barbies (or something like a Barbie) under her collar and then putting bows and ribbons around her head and ears (god love her patience!) and overall just shrieking about her cuteness :rolleyes: - after they moved on I started to notice that in that time a group of adults had formed a queue!!! One by one (or couple by couple) they stepped up to chat and pet her - a few were tourists and wanted to take pictures of her! :eek: (In Temple Bar, mecca of the tourist, she was more interesting than the old architecture and vast pubs that most tourists are snapping!)

Today even, in our local park - I had her out for a run with her ball flinging device (no idea what its called, a Launcher has just been suggested - but I'm sure y'all know what I mean!) and another swarm of children descended upon us - asking what it was I had (I explained, then showed them) - and within seconds it was whipped off me, they organized turns and then spent the next hour throwing her ball for her - their Mum took them home delighted and happy and the "poor" dog has been under the table in recovery ever since we got home, wasn't even sure she had the energy to make it up the final hill to home!

So - she's incredibly popular :D:D She loves all the attention she gets thankfully and is always really good with older people (she loves jumping up to greet people - but with older people she never will, she'll just sit)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭Kali_Kalika

I've been enjoying everyones posts and photos backwards (don't ask, its a bad phone day!) so only got to the start of the thread now. OMG - Gimmick! Our dogs have to be related!! I've only ever seen one dog (from the same rescue Kali came from) who has been similar - but yours is gorgeous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭Duvetdays

Have a westie who when her coat is long kids think she is a teddy bear and make a beeline for her. Also get is she a puppy and people look at me like I'm lying when I say she's 10. Also my hubby thinks she the ultimate babe magnet if we ever go for a spin to Howth the amount of female tourists who take an interest in her and have taken her picture has me worried I could have an 'accident' off the pier one day!

5FBAD204-7F2D-4161-8607-6CD80BA2AB40_zpsfun7aup9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭dizzymiss

We have a golden retriever and he's the best I the world. Such a lovely placid boy and amazing with our little girl.

We get the usual, "oh he's gorgeous", "do you let him near the baby, probably not a good idea...", "he's in great shame for his age..."

He was our first baby and remains a priority member of our family. I was shocked at how many people asked were we getting rid of him when I was pregnant??? What the hell is that about? I just dont understand thst. We would be absolutely devastated if anything happened to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭dizzymiss

Here's a pic of the furry baby x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

My two terrors on "their" sofa. (thats why it looks crap)

10338240_10151968638251735_8600324307359232067_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Léan wrote: »
    I get a lot of mixed reactions with my Cato. He's a German Shepherd mix and quite big lad.

I've had people cross the road as soon as they catch sight of him.

People scoop up their little dogs or pull them aside as if he's going to eat them or something.

People ask me how often i have to walk him "Jesus, he's a big lad isn't he? I bet he's the legs walked off you".

LOADS of people ask what breed he is. A lot of people think he's some sort of labrador/doberman/rottweiler mix.

They ask where i got him (he's a rescue).

Am I breeding him (he's neutered).

They ask about him temperament.

They ask what I feed him.

Can they pet him (always yes!)

Yesterday for example, I brought him for a stroll about town and went for a drink afterwards. He got so many rubs from strangers, he was delighted. I brought him into the pub then which was jammed and he got loads of positive attention which is really nice. I swear he can spot who's a soft touch and will pet him a mile away :rolleyes:

This is him this time last year, he's about 1 and half in it.
    969628_10151499735438371_91852954_n.jpg

This is more recent, me and him messing.
    10308881_10152203379163371_5609997266585841896_n.jpg

By any chance was it Galway you were walking? Seen a lovely dog just like Cato, reason I remember was because he was so well behaved I thought of trying to walk my fella in a crowded street :P

What I mostly get asked is 'what is it?' :P he's a cairn terrier cross but when his hair is long he resembles a hedgehog, or a ball of wirey hair with two eyes stuck on the front :P
    Got asked once how much I paid for him and where I got him from, followed by would you sell him. He told me he'd be a great dog for letting off after foxes. I kindly told him eh no thanks not for sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

Ive a rescue jack russell hes terrified of other dogs( vet reckons going by some scars he has he was used for baiting) so he wears a muzzle when hes out for walks so people generally avoid him even tho he adores people espeically kids . That and he attracts the boyos in white vans untill they find out hes neutered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

What is it with the ones in the vans, why are they so attracted to certain breeds and why on earth do they think someone would just hand over their dog in the middle of the street to them?! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    What is it with the ones in the vans, why are they so attracted to certain breeds and why on earth do they think someone would just hand over their dog in the middle of the street to them?! :confused:

I'd imagine they're attracted to the greys/lurchers for lamping and coursing, and the terrier breeds for baiting or to send into the ground after whatever they're after.

To people involved in these activities, the life of an animal obviously doesn't mean a lot, so they wouldn't really take it into account that people WOULDN'T just hand over their pets for cash. It's just business to them, and it's 'just a dog.' Probably how they do business with other men in white vans.

I'd imagine they're attracted to the greys/lurchers for lamping and coursing, and the terrier breeds for baiting or to send into the ground after whatever they're after.

To people involved in these activities, the life of an animal obviously doesn't mean a lot, so they wouldn't really take it into account that people WOULDN'T just hand over their pets for cash. It's just business to them, and it's 'just a dog.' Probably how they do business with other men in white vans.

Makes sense I guess, sad though (for the animals) :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I have a Boxer, I get a lot of "aren't they vicious" and "aren't they on the dangerous list" and "shouldn't he be wearing a muzzle". Plus some road crossing.

On the other side we get a lot of "he's gorgeous", "what breed is he", he's such an unusual colour", "he's so friendly", "do you breed him"(he's neutered).

There is good and bad, some people can't get enough of him, others think he is going to jump up and rip their throat out at any second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

We have a Miniature Schnauzer, and he gets a lot of attention alright. He is way more interested in other dogs than he is people though, so while he isn't bothered by the attention, he doesn't lap it up either.

Regular comments:

What is he? Oh, I've never heard of them.

Is that a Schnauzer? My mother/friend/boss has one.

His coat is gorgeous.

Do they shed? Do you have to brush them much.

Will he get any bigger?

He's a perfect size for a woman. :eek:

Is he a terrier?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

"Aww look at the bichon/shih tzu/westie" But I have found that recently more people know he's a maltese :)

"You must use daz on him"

"He has so much hair. He must shed loads" Nope.

"He looks like a toy"

10262071_10203786044030414_2444187934674129897_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    Makes sense I guess, sad though (for the animals) :(

Really sad :(

Posters with missing dogs of those breeds I find especially heartbreaking, because they're usually loved family pets who are likely part of a horrible violent scene now. It's hard to feel optimistic that the dog will turn up in a neighbours house or something, the way I would with a missing lab or spaniel.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

jonny24ie wrote: »
    I have a Germany sheperd and his a big fella. Out walking him last week and 2 women walk out of the house in front of me and stroll past. A few seconds later one of them roars back at me to keep him beside me.

Thing is he was right beside me, head down and paid no attention to them at all like.

He's a big softy in reality haha

What you want to do is let them a bit ahead of you & then roar,

"Go get'em boy, KILL, KILL !!"

... and see how fast the ignorant cows run ! I'll bet they'd give Usain Bolt a run for his money until they realise :D

Really sad :(

Posters with missing dogs of those breeds I find especially heartbreaking, because they're usually loved family pets who are likely part of a horrible violent scene now. It's hard to feel optimistic that the dog will turn up in a neighbours house or something, the way I would with a missing lab or spaniel.

I know exactly what you mean, you just know don't you..:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

My dog gets ALL the attention!

He's a big white fluffy funny looking labradoodle..

1013081_10200818379695610_1391149416_n.jpg
    1897689_10202458733663434_43962320_n.jpg?oh=c07dd0931e007942491117e172a657a3&oe=53E6F234

We are guaranteed to be asked "what breed is he?" everytime he goes for a walk. He LOVES going for walks in town because people always come up to him. Mad for the attention. In the summer there are tourists everywhere (Killarney!) so he gets loads of photoshoots..

Most common questions:

What breed is it?
    Will he grow taller?
    How much did you pay for him? (he's a rescue!)
    Is that a poodle/airdale/greyhound/wheaten terrier?
    Do you have to groom him much?
    Can I touch him?
    How old is he?

The best (well, worst) reaction I got was when I was outside a supermarket with him waiting for my Mother one evening. An old nun came up to me and was like:

"Look at what they have done to that poor animal. They have RUINED pedigree dogs. The state of it. It is like the spawn of satan"

And then she walked off. I was like :eek:

Advertisement