Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reactions to your dogs

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

angeldaisy wrote: »
    When I used to walk Rusty, I used to hear what a beautiful girl - er no he's a boy!!

With Tara, I get oh she's so cute before bending straight down to stroke her, whilst I quickly try to stop them before she snaps at them!
    Hate people who don't ask if they can touch!
    Just cos she's small and cute doesn't mean she's sweet! To strangers anyway!

I've had this issue with a dog I rescued, especially parents who dont stop their kids. and then try to blame you.
    She wasn't vicious but sudden movements startled her, I'd always give out to parents that they should ask the dog owner before assuming its safe to pet.
    ___

These are reactions I used to get to my chihuahua/pom cross.

"She's adorable." I'ts a he... "oh...aint she lovely" -.-'
    when he was a puppy. "Can I buy him?"/"Is he for sale?"
    "What breed is that?" (asked by every single person who stopped to pet him)
    "Whats the temperament? Heard chihuahuas dont make great family pets...." no worries there, he loves children.
    Is he a good watchdog. ..well, if you want to know when you're neighbours get home.
    ah, such a small dog, bet he's easy to care for. Would he suit an older person? No I wouldn't reckon so, he's very energetic.
    and I got alot of, will he grow any bigger? nope adult dog 3 years old now. oh really!! (he was your 'standard' 'handbag' dog ^^)
    ah and one more, I used to carry in my bag.. when on the bus/train etc, with his little head sticking out."oh, how calm he is", does he never try to jump?"no, he waits patiently in the bag until it's time to walk. In the train, he just goes to sleep. [I found it easier to take him in a bag than to hold him on my lap as such entire journeys. He learned to associate, being in bag means I have to stay calm and wait ^^], on the lap, he'd often try to go for walks/sniff around/and even bark randomly.

People passing by with dogs, when they see me pull mine away "oh dont worry my dog is gentle" as they proceed to let their dog near mine...it aint your dog I'm worried about. My dog was fine with dogs if given the time to be introduced carefully, but if passing, not so much. He hated other dogs coming to sniff him on walks. (fine at home, but not on his walks ..go figure)

and one person, I'm still shocked at what they said.
    oh aint he gorgeous, is a small dog like that good for a family? as our dog is old now,and we're looking at replacing him, I snapped at them on how dogs aren't objects to be replaced because they're no longer "appealing"..and no, no dog would be suitable for their family. :o

___
    I miss my dog )':

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

With Poppy because she's a small Jack Russell we often have children squealing 'look at the puppy, it's so cute!!'.
    And the most common is 'Oh, is that a miniature Jack? I've one at home/know someone with one'. (I absolutely detest the term miniature Jack... even the vet called her that the first time I took her in :( )
    Always get told how lovely her colours/markings are as well.
    People always seem to think her name is 'Puppy', too, because I've a New Zealand accent and I guess it sounds like that's what I'm saying :P
    Also occasionally get scared looks from people because Poppy pulls like a lunatic and is a loud walker.

Roisin's only been out a few times but everyone is besotted with her but she's a bit skittish around people/other dogs (shes only about 15 weeks now). She loves kids though and will always try and pull over to them, where she came from there were 3 young kids who played with her all day. So far though just gotten the standard how old/what breed from people and a few have noticed she's not a full Cocker and correctly guessed there's springer in there too :D

Very surprised the amount of people getting stopped by the white-van-men! Gotten stopped loads with mine too. I had no idea it's so common :(

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

I have a 12 year old Springer Spaniel in Ireland. He loves kids and he's so gentle and playful! On walks lots of people have told us about Springer Spaniels they've had!

So many beautiful dogs In this thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

I used to carry in my bag.. when on the bus/train etc, with his little head sticking out.:

I'm just curious, was this in Ireland? I didn't know that was allowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

sadie06 wrote: »
    I'm just curious, was this in Ireland? I didn't know that was allowed.

Its allowed on trains.

buses is on the drivers whim. (and whether they notice the dog or not :P ..) generally it was fine, unless the bus was quite busy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Its allowed on trains.

buses is on the drivers whim. (and whether they notice the dog or not :P ..) generally it was fine, unless the bus was quite busy.

Thanks. That's good to know!

http://www.irishrail.ie/travel-information/travelling-with-animals

This changes my summer plans!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

Hooked, your dogs are BEAUTIFUL!!! wow....

I have an Alaskan Malamute and am also constantly asked "Is it a Husky??"

I've gotten "Is it a Japanese or an American...?" before too... That's kind of regular actually. I can kind of understand the Husky comparison, but not really the Akita one.

"She must eat ya out of house and home!?"
    "who's walking who!?"
    "Can I pet her?"

The regularity at which I get stopped on my walks is decreasing a little bit bust most days, at least one person will stop me.

I'd also like to agree that she'd be a potential pulling machine if I was single or especially into boys between the ages of 13 and.. 24 ish?

And my last point that I always make is that if I got half the compliments my dog got, I'd have a head the size of Ireland. Quite sad really. Hahahaha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

Niamho! wrote: »
    Hooked, your dogs are BEAUTIFUL!!! wow....

I have an Alaskan Malamute and am also constantly asked "Is it a Husky??"

The lads say thanks!!! Weather has been great the last few days... We've been out and about loads. Getting tonnes of attention.

And, hello... Photos of your Mal... Please!

Sorry! Don't really know what I'm doing when it comes to putting photos in!!

This is her about 3 years ago looking a bit scruffy in the snow...

22167_228897139686_552969686_2858120_2129184_n.jpg

Poser....

Mix 012.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

She's a beaut!

• Advertisement

Hooked wrote: »
    She's a beaut!

Thanks!:D She's pretty cool alright. My big teddy bear! haha

• Registered Users Posts: 15 bings92

have a rescued golden cocker from a puppy farm looks amazing, her ears & head look like I put one of the irish dancing wigs curly blond wigs on her head. She is approx 6 yrs.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

fishfoodie wrote: »
    What you want to do is let them a bit ahead of you & then roar,

"Go get'em boy, KILL, KILL !!"

... and see how fast the ignorant cows run ! I'll bet they'd give Usain Bolt a run for his money until they realise :D

I'd love to but I know if I did the guards would be called again haha

• Registered Users Posts: 23 sohsoh

Mine is a large dog similar to Lean's but all black. I get:

'Dog taking you for a walk' - especially when we head out initially 'cause he's all excited and eager.

'Tis a small pony you have there!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

i get every reaction known to man i think, ranging from

the bizzare

'feed your dog' :confused:
    'arent they illegal' :confused:
    'arent they the ones with the lock jaw' erm.. no.

the nice ones (usually kids)

'she so soft'
    'she's so cute'
    etc

the downright rude
    one local woman (with newborn in pram), who we were walking past in the hallway minding our own business (dolly was on lead), came out with this gem.

her: "keep your dog away from my baby"

me :"excuse me? my dog has zero interest in your baby"

her: "it doesnt matter, the baby is only 6 weeks old"

me: "once again love, my dog has zero interest in your baby and she's on a lead. you should probably tone down the dramatics so your baby doesnt grow up with an irrational fear of dogs"

her: "mutter mutter"

its great fun been an RB owner :o

IMG1244-01_zpsc3294e1b.jpg

Advertisement