Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving on from GS500 (advice please)

• 30-05-2014 2:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭

So I'm over here in sunny Australia and in a week my 1 year on Learner Approved Motorbike ie my gs500 is up so I can buy any bike I like once I pass a rudimentary test. (it's all a bit basic over here).

Anyway I don't need to upgrade but A: I'd like a little bit more performance. B: I find the GS500 a touch uncomfy over medium/long distances on my arms/wrists and C: Purely for vanity I'd like a proper 'grown up' bike :)

So I was looking big initially at a TDM900 or a vstrom1000 (I like the touring bikes/upright position) but then started considering the vstrom650, gladius 650 etc mostly due to money and then found the Honda NC700SA which I think looks pretty good, is cheap as chips (I can get a new 2013 model for the same price as a used vstrom650), economical and I think I'd like to get a new bike rather than worry about buying a lemon as I'm no mechanic.

Anyway, long post short will I find a reasonable difference in performance between a gs500 and an unrestricted 650 that would justify the cost? I'm not looking for top end speed just something with a bit more oomph lower down and I don't, ideally, want to sell this next bike for a while. So buy now or save up a little more and get something a bit bigger?

(bike is to be used daily for commuting and days off for trips out into the countryside)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭neamhspleachi

The Honda NC700SA gets a great review on mctrader.com.au, makes sense to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Them Honda's aren't designed with poke in mind, they are half a car engine that doesn't rev high for 700cc bike.

The VStrom or Gladus would be a more spirited ride on the 650 versions the litres will be great fun.

Ideally get test rides on each and see which suits you best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Del2005 wrote: »
    Them Honda's aren't designed with poke in mind, they are half a car engine that doesn't rev high for 700cc bike.

The VStrom or Gladus would be a more spirited ride on the 650 versions the litres will be great fun.

Ideally get test rides on each and see which suits you best.

The Honda is so freaking cheap though :)

Any other bikes in the class I should consider?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The Honda is so freaking cheap though :)

Any other bikes in the class I should consider?

It's cheap as it's designed to be cheap. It'll be fine for the commute, as that's what it's designed for, but fun at the weekend will be missing. Does it even make more power than your current bike?

Other bikes could be the old reliable Bandit / Fazer. The Kwak Versys is similar to the VStrom. There are a load of KTMs or BMWs to choose from. Not sure how much the new Yamaha MTs are in Aus they are getting good reviews and are more fun than the Honda's.

You need to choose which you want, a new bike that's great for commuting or a 2nd hand that will be good for commuting and fun at the weekend. Only way to know is to sit on a load of different bikes to see how they feel and then test ride the ones that feel best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Try and get a bike that has a bit of offroadability. Most of the best scenery and places that Aus. has to offer is offroad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Try and get a bike that has a bit of offroadability. Most of the best scenery and places that Aus. has to offer is offroad.

Starting to look again at bigger bikes.... There's a pretty nice looking 2012 Vstrom1000 going for about 9k near to me that I'm going to take a quick look at tomorrow. The downside is it's being sold by a chain company that everyone over here in QLD seems to universally hate (team moto) which makes me somewhat cautious about it.

LINKY

Advertisement