Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Target pistol gunsmith

Options
  • 30-05-2014 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi,

I am looking for a good pistol gunsmith to fix a minor issue with a target pistol - someone mentioned a guy called "Wall" (north of Dublin somewhere) but I have lost his details.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Whats the problem with your pistol ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭p.e.s.

polite wrote: »
    Hi,

I am looking for a good pistol gunsmith to fix a minor issue with a target pistol - someone mentioned a guy called "Wall" (north of Dublin somewhere) but I have lost his details.

Thanks

Dont have a number for him but i think its john wall in balbriggan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭cw67irl

That name is familiar alright!! Although if its a minor parts replacement or similar have a look on youtube chances are theres an instructional video on it. Word of warning if you aren't 100% Confident don't chance it, You don't want to be walking into a gunsmith with a Ziploc bag of parts and a sheepish look on your face!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 polite

Thanks all, The problem (I think) is that the chamber is a micro meter tight, this is causing an infrequent but irritating failure to eject - disaster in a competition.

I want to get an expert to take a look and advise or fix.

John Wall was the one recommended alright - anyone have his details?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Have you cleaned the chamber and all the extraction mechanism rigorously? That'd be my first consideration.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Is the pistol new? If so has it had this problem since new? If the answer to both of these questions is yes then its possible you have a mechanical issue or a slightly tight chamber. However even with cheap firearms there are quality control measures and for a firearm to get past this check with a blatant flaw with the chamber would be rare.

Another question. Is the gun second hand? Has it done it since you bought it or only lately? Has it gitten worse or has it been the same throughout? How often do you clean it?

Lastly what make, model and caliber is it? Some .22 pistols suffer from ejection and jam issues due to the wax on the .22 ammo.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Thanks all for your considered suggestions. This needs the attention of a gunsmith. It is a new Clark barrell on a model 41 from Clark - it has only had a few thousand rounds thru it. Clark tuned the extraction, it is working perfectly except fot that occaisional time it fails.

Re ammo, I am using CCI standard target, recommended by the manufactùrer. I have used other sub sonic ammo but she didnt like them as much, havent used high velocity ammo.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Snakezilla

PM Sent , contact no. for John Wall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Thanks all for your considered suggestions. This needs the attention of a gunsmith. It is a new Clark barrell on a model 41 from Clark - it has only had a few thousand rounds thru it. Clark tuned the extraction, it is working perfectly except fot that occaisional time it fails.

Have you dismantled and cleaned the magazines ? My ruger mk3 used to start to jam and stovepipe if the mags got dirty, a quick clean and it was very reliable.

• Advertisement

Everything is spotless, and oiled properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dax121

I have a Clark barrel on my m41 also. Clark uses a tight match grade reamer that keeps the chamber tight. Because of this it will make extracting live rounds hard. Guys with the 10/22's have the same problem my volquartsen is a fu**er for it.
    So is it live rounds you cannot extract?
    Also wolf springs mite be a help to you

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Change your ammo the CCI standard is known for the wax on the rounds. If you look at the heads before taking them from the plastic holders you will see blobs of wax on some of them.

A few people using 10/22 have the same type of problem.
    Try the SK ammo as they have a greasy lube on them and will work better for you..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Dian Cecht

Everything is spotless, and oiled properly.

Possible problem there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

I had a Model 41 for almost thirty years, and never encountered your problem. I only used standard velocity ammunition, too, RWS pistol match, to the exclusion of averything else. By the time I handed it in it must have fired well-north of 50,000.

All the oil it ever had - or needed - was a single drop - just that - on either side of the slide raceways.

That was it. Any oil that subsequently appeared at the end of the slide was wiped away.

tac

Once again thanks all for your input, given the feedback and discussions with others who have had a similar problem with clark model 41s, it appears to be a combination of wax on the rounds and a chamber which need polishing.

I will polish the chamber and revert with a report on improvement or otherwise.

Thanks all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Dian Cecht

Something like "JB Paste" is perfect to polish a chamber.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Snakezilla wrote: »
    PM Sent , contact no. for John Wall

Is he a gunsmith, dealer or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭p.e.s.

murph226 wrote: »
    Is he a gunsmith, dealer or what?

Not sure , haven't seen or heard about him in a long time , until this post , but John was /is a target shooter and dealer just outside Balbriggan . I spent many a good evening up there with him. Dont know if he became a gunsmith , he used to work on truck transmissions. He is a Good bloke , and if he could help you out he would.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Wadi14

Change your ammo

• Advertisement

A valid point - find out what works in it, and stick to it.

Question - did the pistol function correctly before the custom work was done to it?

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Lemon3

The chamber on the the Clark barrel is very tight and often rough and poorly finished, as was the case with mine. A bit of light polishing sorted the cycling problems and it now runs 100%. The barrel is a tack driver, just needed to be finished better.

Not a good advertisement, then, for a custom gun-worker.

I seem to recall that my Model 41 was also a tack-driver, just the same way that Messrs Smith & Wesson let it out of the factory.

tac

Advertisement