Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

takeaway in athlone

• 30-05-2014 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

Where do you get your weekend takeaway?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Jia Jia for Chinese

Kin Khao for Thai

Bethlehem for chipper food

Pizza tends to be either Apache/Supermacs/Bethlehem depending on the mood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

I second Jia Jia and Bethlehem. Reliable Chinese and LOVE the pizza in Bethlehem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Jia Jia for Chinese
    Kebab house for kebabs
    Savios for chipper
    Supermacs for fast food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Bethlehem here too.
    Supermacs in town is dirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

Alfredos for chipper food
    Jia Jia for Chinese

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Big Snack for chicken.

Big Snack for chicken.

There are better uses for time machines.

Haha..

Used to love big snacks milkshakes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Double Y for Chinese
    Di Bella for pizza
    Alfredos/Roma in Monksland for chips

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

It's a shame we haven't got a half dacent Indian takeaway in Athlone - Do you know I wouldn't order food from any of the existing ones......:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭TheJackAttack

It's a real shame there's no decent Indians in Athlone! Totally agree.

Mother India isn't the worst, Saagar when it was here was much better. My only problem with good Indian food, is the price :P

The thing is that I'm really into the Tandoori stuff ( Chicken Tikka, Tandoori Mixed Grills etc) rather than curries - Any tandoori stuff i've every ordered in Athlone has been adsolutely awful.....:(

Any stuff I've gotten from Mother India has been awful. Never tried Saagar - it must be closed nearly 7/8 years now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

Actually think the chinese takeaways are poor in the town, go to Jia jia but compared to other towns not a patch

Any stuff I've gotten from Mother India has been awful. Never tried Saagar - it must be closed nearly 7/8 years now?

Once saw the lads in saagar cleaning the counter with the same mop they'd just used to mop the floor...

Once saw the lads in saagar cleaning the counter with the same mop they'd just used to mop the floor...

Well they did claim that they were an authentic Indian Restaurant. Having visited India many times I can assure you that is authentic hygiene standards. In fact it would have been even more authentic if they'd used the same mop to mop out the toilets first....:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Kebabs - Al Kebabish
    Chips - Marios in arcadia, but they are so rude and take so long some times.
    Burgers - Bethleem, sometimes I find their chips do be a tad undercooked.
    Savios - is generally good, the pepperoni pizza slices are amazing, and the chips are pretty good too, along with everything, but their delivery can be very slow sometimes.

and the nicest of all is Kin Khao.

It all depends on how your feeling at the time of course.

Chips - Marios in arcadia, but they are so rude and take so long some times.

If they're rude then I just wouldn't give them any business. There is no excuse for being rude to customers.

But they are doing everything half price the last few weeks/months.. and its nearby and easy to get to. So if you ring in your order and go down and pick it up 20 minutes later its grand.

• Advertisement

Genoa Garlic/Cheese chips with Bacon on top - nothing more to be said. Mod please lock :D

Genoa Garlic/Cheese chips with Bacon on top - nothing more to be said. Mod please lock :D

I have to agree, with a little ketchup this is the ultimate food.

I wouldnt eat out of that place...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭tubos

Agree, Marios best for chips. Not as rude as they used to be and still half price, have been for last 6 months, dont know how they are going to go back to being full price now!!

Double-Y, right beside it and is nice for chinese.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

I've never found Marios rude, they just don't make stupid chit-chat with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Can't believe Sizzler's in Baylough hasn't been mentioned yet. Best curry cheese chips in town since the old cookhouse closed and everything else is nice too. The owner would talk the back legs off a donkey too, lovely woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

You know they take away bodies in athlone too?

nice_guy80 wrote: »

take away only. delivery service isn't that good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

nice_guy80 wrote: »

????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

cena wrote: »
    ????

Think someone was trying to be funny:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

Poor taste if so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I apologise.
    It was in bad taste

For pure grease you can't beat the cookhouse.
    Lamb base

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Jayo11780

Imperial Chinese on Northgate street is top take-away in Midlands...
    BBQ ribs to die for!

Jayo11780 wrote: »
    Imperial Chinese on Northgate street is top take-away in Midlands...
    BBQ ribs to die for!

salt'n'chilli ribs there are amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 lisalights

The Indian on pearse st, think it's called something like kebab house, looks a bit dodge from outside but it's actually lovely takeaway Indian, no layer if oil on top of the curries like you'd get in some places, lovely homemade chips and the meat is really good quality

lisalights wrote: »
    The Indian on pearse st, think it's called something like kebab house, looks a bit dodge from outside but it's actually lovely takeaway Indian, no layer if oil on top of the curries like you'd get in some places, lovely homemade chips and the meat is really good quality

Yeah, sounds really, really appetising right enough......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭glen25

For the first time in ages, I had a salad burger (lettuce, cheese, chilli & garlic sauce, coleslaw etc) from Freda's in Baylough last night. It was REALLY disappointing. I remember she was always a bit tight with the toppings but it's gotten worse. The burger itself was paper thin. About half the size of a McDonald's burger if that's possible! Won't be going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭In the wind

Used to love Chips with everything from the diner opposite the RTC back in the old days? Yum!

Used to love Chips with everything from the diner opposite the RTC back in the old days? Yum!

And a game of wwf royal rumble while you waited .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭finky1

It's a real shame there's no decent Indians in Athlone! Totally agree.
    to many cowboys in athlone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭EmeraldDragon

We seriously need a ****ing japanese place in town. I hate having to go to galway or dublin for good japanese food.

We seriously need a ****ing japanese place in town. I hate having to go to galway or dublin for good japanese food.

We've gotten on fine without one so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭EmeraldDragon

We've gotten on fine without one so far.

We have also gotten on well without hover cars and robot servants but it doesnt stop people wanting them. Besides it just means people probably dont know what theyre missing out on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Jaybopper

Pizza Kebabish - Since Just-Eat won't allow me to leave a review....:

A) I'm pretty sure they are diluting their garlic sauce with vinegar

B) Twice they burned me for the can of Coke. Second time I made sure to check before closing the door, the delivery guy theatrically checked the car for the can of Coke, said he forgot it and that he would come back with it, never saw him again and won't either because I'm never ordering from there again...

I couldn't give a **** about the can of Coke, just don't treat me like an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭badker

Hardly worth bringing an old thread back to life to bitch about your bad experience. Did you let the business concerned know of your grievances?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Jaybopper

badker wrote: »
    Hardly worth bringing an old thread back to life to bitch about your bad experience. Did you let the business concerned know of your grievances?

I don't see why the date matters. My post is relevant, current and I'm keeping the information in one place.

No the fact is if I had created a new thread you would have tried to put me down by saying that it was a duplicate.

To answer your question though, no, I did not speak to the restaurant. If I thought it was simply an innocent oversight (both times) I might have but it very much felt like a premeditated FU.

The idea that it might be the driver acting alone would make me want to tell the restaurant but point A just makes it feel "organisation-wide". Of course it's possible I'm just paranoid :)

badker wrote: »

Why on earth not if his post is relevant to the subject of the thread ? (Which it is) - We need all the posts we can get on here to keep the forum worth bothering to look at occasionally....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,203 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I tried the hungry monk beside Super Value in Monksland there last week and thought it was really decent, nicest Chinese I've had from Athlone in a good while. Their menu is a little confusing but it was very nice

Jaybopper wrote: »
    Pizza Kebabish - Since Just-Eat won't allow me to leave a review....:

A) I'm pretty sure they are diluting their garlic sauce with vinegar

B) Twice they burned me for the can of Coke. Second time I made sure to check before closing the door, the delivery guy theatrically checked the car for the can of Coke, said he forgot it and that he would come back with it, never saw him again and won't either because I'm never ordering from there again...

I couldn't give a **** about the can of Coke, just don't treat me like an idiot.

Never had a bad experience there. The original and best guy who use to have it now runs al lkebabish in moate. Quality. But poppadum/pizza kebabish is still delish. Best Chilli sauce in town.

• Advertisement
Advertisement