Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When Does Ski Season Begin in Alberta??

Options
  • 30-05-2014 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Does anybody know when the ski season begins in Banff Alberta or other prime areas?? i,m considering going over in early September but might hold off till its closer to ski ski season to look for a job on in one of the resorts? That way I wont spend so much money on waiting around for the work to begin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

In Alberta it starts mid November, finishes up around the end of April.
    Unfortunately the ski season co-incides with the worst months to be in Canada weather wise. ( You haven't experienced COLD until you've experienced an Alberta winter). The time to be here is now until September - Weather is beautiful at the moment and the scenery is looking absolutely incredible...:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 39 james182

Projected Opening Day: November 28, 2013
    Projected Closing Day: May 26, 2014

Just looked up the dates:)

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭DAVIDDOLAN

@Long Gone.

Do you know when they start recruiting for work there on the resorts and when would be the best time to go over and get a job. I,m thinking early October would be good. Have you worked on the resorts? Do you know what is the money like? I hear not great. I,m looking for a restaurant job.

DAVIDDOLAN wrote: »
    @Long Gone.

Do you know when they start recruiting for work there on the resorts and when would be the best time to go over and get a job. I,m thinking early October would be good. Have you worked on the resorts? Do you know what is the money like? I hear not great. I,m looking for a restaurant job.

Hi David. No, I've visited some of them but I haven't worked at the resorts - I work and have always worked in the power industry. If you really want to work at the ski resorts early October should be an OK time to arrive. I would expect that you'd only get minimum wage in a restaurant. In Alberta that's just under Can $10 per hour. With a bit of luck you might get accommodation free, or for a very cheap rate.
    Are you only interested in the resorts or are you looking at other work options ? Boom times in Alberta at the moment so many restaurants are looking for staff. I guess the advantage of the resorts will be if they sort out accommadation for you - It's expensive in the cities, although some hotels also provide help with accommodation for foreign workers. Lots of nice Filipinas working in my local hotel !

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭DAVIDDOLAN

I am looking for other work options also which would be away from the city. not only restaurant jobs but other Hotel and service related jobs also like event set up and conference center jobs. I,m keeping my options very open. Can you recommend any other places around alberta that are good for Hotel, Restaurant work etc?? Recruitment agencies etc?

• Advertisement

I worked in Edmonton, area close to Edmonton mall. There's quite a lot of hotel jobs around and the pay is nice. Places like Marriott and the hotel inside the mall. Idk about the recruitment agencies some of them are a scam

DAVIDDOLAN wrote: »
    I am looking for other work options also which would be away from the city. not only restaurant jobs but other Hotel and service related jobs also like event set up and conference center jobs. I,m keeping my options very open. Can you recommend any other places around alberta that are good for Hotel, Restaurant work etc?? Recruitment agencies etc?

Not sure why you say "away from the city" - Do you have an aversion to /Are you trying to avoid being in the cities ? I live just up the road from West Edmonton Mall - For many years the largest shopping mall in the world. Great bars on Bourbon Street in the mall. As James182 above says, lots of hotels and restaurants around that area. Not sure about what he regards as "nice" pay though - I'll make some enquiries but I think you might be struggling to get much above minimum wage in the kind of jobs you're looking for. You'd probably get more in Ireland (or you would if all the jobs hadn't been taken by the Eastern Europeans that have been allowed to inundate Ireland...) To be honest, the time to be here in the Canadian cities is now and for the next four months or so. The weather is absolutely beautiful now and the place is buzzing with visitors. The bars and restaurants are packed - Lots of hot girls around ;)

The hotels in that area do pay just above the minimum wage- but if you take into consideration the tips- and in most hotels there will be tips. So a $12 an hour can become $18 or $20 an hour which is not bad.

Advertisement