Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Runway 5km

• 30-05-2014 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

shannonairport.ie/gns/about-us/BankOfIrelandRunwayNightRun.aspx

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Why is the name of Christ are Bank of Ireland and Shannon airport getting involved in organising road races?? I hope their race management is better than their bank management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 vevo

pconn062 wrote: »
    Why is the name of Christ are Bank of Ireland and Shannon airport getting involved in organising road races?? I hope their race management is better than their bank management.

Sponsored by Bank of Ireland, not managed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Can't see this taking off:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,758 ✭✭✭Trampas

Let's hope no emergency landing or this could get messy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Finnt

Might do it, €20 for a 5k bit expensive tho?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

A few of us are heading up from Kerry for it, nice quick flat 5K, and then back to the Sin Bin in Limerick for the cooldown :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Toffeeboy

www. clarechampion.ie/1200-runners-on-shannon-runway/

Tired of running amongst jumbos and fokkers?

Oh wait...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Finnt

Any one doing it this evening?

yes

On the Today FM radio Mr collins said over 1k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭fredo1664

I've run it. I though it was well organized and it was nice to run on a runway. A lot of people and a good atmosphere.
    But... as far as my Garmin is concerned, it was a 3 miles, not a 5k. Not very important alright, but I had never run a 5k race before (!) so I was quite looking forward to running one. Well...

thought it was a bit short as well

• Registered Users Posts: 12 keaned82

Agreed my Garmin showed 4.84k - tought the official clock was off as well ??? I finished under 20 mins going by clock but my Garmin & chip time had the same time but just over 20 mins .
    Unique event though & would prob do again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Also got 4.84 km on GPS. Other gripe would be long warmup and delay in getting us going.

But - they got everything else right. Atmosphere was great and Richie C did his part. An excellent local cause and nice t-shirt so €20 was grand. I thought it was a one-off event but if there are repeats I will sign again.

There are so many events on offer to runners now that something different is most welcome.

People from the midwest such as myself are very proud of the airport and its history. Watching planes with my dad are some of my early memories. It that regard it was special.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Signed up for this. Can't believe 1700 have signed up in a few days. Pity it's on the same night as the Ger Mullane 10k in Bilboa as part of the Ballyhoura series. Think I'll race the 10k & do the airport 4.8k ;) as a cool down.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭overthebridge

Bulmers74 wrote: »
    Signed up for this. Can't believe 1700 have signed up in a few days. Pity it's on the same night as the Ger Mullane 10k in Bilboa as part of the Ballyhoura series. Think I'll race the 10k & do the airport 4.8k ;) as a cool down.

Entries full now. Which is amazing.
    There's a few of us doing the Bilboa and Shannon aswell..should be a novel experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Sounds like the Samsung night run, a pure marketing spin race.

Timmaay wrote: »
    Sounds like the Samsung night run, a pure marketing spin race.

Don't know much about the Samsung race but last year the Shannon race raised €15000 for the Samaritans. This year the charities which stand to benefit are Milford Hospice & TLC4CF. Would agree it's a clever bit of marketing by the airport but I think it's win win when you consider the money raised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,223 ✭✭✭✭flazio

And let's be honest, when are you ever going to be allowed such airside access to an airport ever. I'm a relatively new 5k runner from Galway and I've signed up purely because of where it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Just got an email giving me an entry! Delighted! It will be my first run back after a few weeks off with injury, but seeing as I assume it's a flat route, it should be okay!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Ron Scott

chrislad wrote: »
    Just got an email giving me an entry! Delighted! It will be my first run back after a few weeks off with injury, but seeing as I assume it's a flat route, it should be okay!

Don't think it's flat, I flew out of there once and there was a fierce climb at one end as far as I remember.

Ron Scott wrote: »
    Don't think it's flat, I flew out of there once and there was a fierce climb at one end as far as I remember.

Were you locked at the time?? There are no hills, climbs, drags of any description on this route. Wind could be a factor on the exposed course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Ron Scott wrote: »

:) good one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Were you locked at the time?? There are no hills, climbs, drags of any description on this route. Wind could be a factor on the exposed course.
    Rather fittingly, that joke just flew over your head :)

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

airplane_12397516.gif

28064212 wrote: »
    Rather fittingly, that joke just flew over your head :)

:( it sure did haha

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Highway patrolman

This is back again this year, can't post a link being a new user and all.
    Was the course changed last year to make it the full 5k? I did it the first year was a bit short.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'm registered again this year. Hopefully, I'll not be injured again, but I'm hoping to finally break sub 25 this time around!

Advertisement