Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Runway 5km

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I've registered for the 7.5km :)

Who else did this last night? I did the 7.5km and really enjoyed it. Only two gripes was that it started late - more like 12.15 than 11.59, but it is a working airport so I guess they need to make sure everything is secure before they can let us out there and then the water tent at the end. I have no idea why they had this tiny little tent that you had to walk through to get your water etc. Would have been much easier set up on tables. I was queuing for the tent and eventually gave up as the line wasn't moving. It felt rather warm as well. i wouldn't like to do it on a wet or windy evening...nowhere to hide! Running back down the runway with all the lights stretched out in front of you, like a pilot would see was pretty cool. Charities to benefit this year were Albeta Special School in Galway and iCAN the Irish childhood Arthritis network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Is the 5k still short or have they fixed that?

El Caballo wrote: »
    Is the 5k still short?

No idea but the 7.5k was short by my Polar - I measured 7.1.

mel.b wrote: »
    No idea but the 7.5k was short my my Polar - I measured 7.1.

Ah ok, my sister in law and a few friends done it and she was just wondering. Sounds like a great buzz and for a great cause as well, well done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Toffeeboy

5k was short again (All 3 years) 4.86k ish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'm still taking my pb of 22:27 compared to my 25:56 so there!

Toffeeboy wrote: »

How'd you get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 McNamarathon

That's the same distance my watch recorded which would account for my 25 second PB. I found the darkness a bit hard to get used to but still it was a lot of fun to let loose on a runway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Just saw a post on FB that the Midnight Airport Run is again back this June.... I highly it recommend it just for the experience of running on a runway in the pitch black :D

It has a great atmosphere and was very well organised last year

Link

• Advertisement

Ya good fun. Would be nice if the got the distance correct.. Always been short.

They have changed the route this year so it may be fixed!

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

Registered for it already, got an early bird text yesterday - probably because I have done it last couple of years. Looking forward to it again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Entry seems to require a code. Where does one get the code?

I got sent onto me, probably because I had registered for last years event, and the one before.

ok, cheers. I think the official opening of registration is today in any case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

zulutango wrote: »
    Entry seems to require a code. Where does one get the code?

Seems to be if you did it previously you received a code, I assume it opens to the public at a certain point but it's not clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

ok, cheers. I think the official opening of registration is today in any case.

Yeah I received a code (10% off also!) via text as I did it last year....entry seems to be open to all members of the public as of today ;)

Really looking forward to it now....it's bit of a surreal experience....and a very flat course (as you can imagine :D)

Yeah I received a code (10% off also!) via text as I did it last year....entry seems to be open to all members of the public as of today ;)

I entered today :)

Been meaning to do it for a few years so looking forward to it now.

Any sign of a course map? Will they even use much of the runway since it is currently being upgraded at night time.
    And I think the finish is around at the front of the building this year rather than over at the Fire station..

• Advertisement

Any sign of a course map? Will they even use much of the runway since it is currently being upgraded at night time.
    And I think the finish is around at the front of the building this year rather than over at the Fire station..

Great event last night. Loved the new course, and the fact that it's 5k! Didn't seem as busy as last year, but it was still about 1400 I think.

chrislad wrote:
    Great event last night. Loved the new course, and the fact that it's 5k! Didn't seem as busy as last year, but it was still about 1400 I think.

I measured 5.1k but better that it's more than less! Where can I find results?

I measured 5.1k but better that it's more than less! Where can I find results?

I measured the same but a friend was spot on. It looks like he took a turn before the end of the cone when we turned on the runway. Results are on the Facebook page for Shannon Airport.

Ya a few of us measured it 100m long

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Did this last night as well and measured it a bit long, was a bit short in previous years by my reckoning.
    Enjoyed it as usual, though my stomach decided it wasn't happy with me and I was sick just after the finish line :o so sorry to anyone who witnessed that!
    Thanks to the fellow runner who looked after me, gave me his energy bar, and to the Order of Malta who were concerned as well (I was fine within two or three minutes)

Ya a few of us measured it 100m long

Yup. I crossed over in 25:14 or something but my garmin had me at 5k in 24:32. Definitely a bit long but better than being short!

Anyone know if this is going ahead this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 YeaYeaSure

Anyone know if this is going ahead this year?

Yea it actually popped up on my timeline this morning. June 22nd @23:59 . Registration not open yet as far as I know. It will also be the last one according to the Shannon Airport page .

• Advertisement

Registration is open for this now.

https://sirius.eventmaster.ie/event/5WATQvsEz

Advertisement