Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro d'Italia Stage 20 – May 31st, Maniago - Monte Zoncolan **Unmasked Spoilers**

Options
  • 30-05-2014 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭

Stage 20 – Saturday May 31st, Maniago - Monte Zoncolan 167km (*****)

It first appeared in the Giro in 2003 when the peloton climbed it from the 'easy' side starting in Sutrio (13.5km at 8.9%). Gilberto Simoni won that day, and described the final kilometre as the hardest section of a climb he had ever encountered. Meanwhile Mario Cipollini used a mountain bike to reach the summit. In 2007 the Giro approached it from Ovaro, and it was described as the hardest climb in Europe and more difficult than the Mortirolo. Simoni conquered the climb that day again while using a 34x27 and stated that: 'The easiest part of this climb is harder than the most difficult you get at the Tour de France'.

La Gazzatta have named it 'The Pink Dragon' and 'The Monster' ......

It is 10.1km long, 11.9% average gradient, 22% maximum gradient ....

It is Monte Zoncolan!

Map:

tappa_dettagli_tecnici_planimetria_20.jpg?v=20140508173143

Profile:

tappa_dettagli_tecnici_altimetria_20.jpg?v=20140508173132

Passo del Pura
    :

tappa_20_S01.jpg?v=%3C!--%20[an%20error%20occurred%20while%20processing%20this%20directive]%20%20--%3E

Sella di Razzo:

tappa_20_S02.jpg?v=%3C!--%20[an%20error%20occurred%20while%20processing%20this%20directive]%20%20--%3E

Monte Zoncolan:

tappa_20_S03.jpg?v=%3C!--%20[an%20error%20occurred%20while%20processing%20this%20directive]%20%20--%3E

Last kms
    :

ukm_20.jpg?v=%3C!--%20[an%20error%20occurred%20while%20processing%20this%20directive]%20%20--%3E

Weather - Maniago: Generally sunny despite a few afternoon clouds. High 20C. Winds SE at 10 to 15 kph. Monte Zoncolan: Sunny with the possibility of light rain. High 14C. Winds E at 5kph.

Stage Betting: Nairo Quintana 11/10; Fabio Aru 9/2; Pierre Rolland 9/1; Fabio Duarte 12/1; Domenico Pozzovivo 12/1; Julian Arredondo 22/1.

Live TV coverage on Eurosport1 from 1.30pm. Highlights on Sky Sports 3 at 8.30pm and Eurosport2 at 10.30pm. Note: Eurosport TV schedule is always liable to change without notice.

Live text ticker here.

Stage winner 19 votes

Nairo Quintana
    0%
    Rigoberto Uran
    63%
    BlowfishsurriperecouerdelionlennymcserendipmaudgonePaddigoldastardly00daramikeletapeMPFGpelevin 12 votes
    Fabio Aru
    0%
    Domenico Pozzovivo
    10%
    Chips Lovelldrogdub 2 votes
    Pierre Rolland
    0%
    Rafal Majka
    10%
    Brian?neris 2 votes
    Dario Cataldo
    0%
    Ivan Basso
    0%
    Ryder Hesjedal
    0%
    Fabio Duarte
    0%
    Julian Arredondo
    5%
    BQQ 1 vote
    Daniel Moreno
    10%
    IdleaterDarkglasses 2 votes
    Sebastien Henao
    0%
    Franco Pellizotti
    0%
    Philip Deignan
    0%
    Other
    0%
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,625 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

love the Zoncolan!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

If you've never seen this climb in a race, you are in for a treat. The entry to the climb from Ovaro has that 'Welcome to Hell' banner that has been quoted a lot in recent days. When the Giro climbed it in 2010 and Basso won from Evans, I remember being astonished by the sheer number of fans on the upper stretches beyond the tree-line that day, held by the Alpine regiment soldiers, especially on the corners. They reckoned there were one million fans out on the slopes. It reminded me of pictures from the bible with Jesus preaching to crowds.....

A young Dan Martin did really well that day. Hard to see past Quintana for this one, but I hope a few others still have some energy to bring the fight to him on the day.

It's going to be E P I C (I hope).

dscf8588.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    love the Zoncolan!

As a spectator

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Daniel Moreno
    Poll added :)

Won't be watching this live, hoping it's straight onto eurosport player so I can watch it into the night!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Rigoberto Uran
    Like Nibali did last year, I'd expect Quintana to want to end on a high, & would be surprised if anyone but a rider in a breakaway granted a lot of time, could beat him here. Aru looked awesome today also but I'd imagine the TT to have taken more out of him than it did Quintana. Never seen the Zoncolan before so looking forward to it. Hope Tinkov puts in a good ride. (In fairness, I don't really care whether he's vain or not, I've no idea of him as a person to have an opinion worth anything on that front, but I do know that to ride the Stelvio on a wintry day, & the climb before it, merits serious kudos for him riding these respect on that front. The opposite of an anal, bureaucrat money-man.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭daramike

Rigoberto Uran
    Quintana should win this easily, he is 11/8 to do so which is a great bet. I'd have him 1/2. His big dangers are Aru, Arredondo and Duarte

• Registered Users Posts: 10,755 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Roche up the road with 18 others

if Aru is winning the crowd will be going nuts!

supposedly a rider yesterday van Emden stopped to propose to his girlfriend. imagine he missed the time cut. the wedding would be off ha

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Rigoberto Uran
    Poll added :)

where is Oleg? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Roche up the road with 18 others

He's there with Mick Rodgers to help out Majka later on.

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    supposedly a rider yesterday van Emden stopped to propose to his girlfriend. imagine he missed the time cut. the wedding would be off ha

Worth stopping for

Go away tennis

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Rigoberto Uran
    The 19 riders out front are:
    Axel Domont (AG2R-La Mondiale, Franco Pellizotti & Jackson Rodriguez ( both Androni Giocattoli), Francesco Bongiorno (Bardiani), Maarten Tjallingii (Belkin), Mattia Cattaneo (Lampre-Merida), Maxime Monfort (Lotto-Belisol), Yonathan Monsalve & Mattio Rabottini (bothNeri Sottoli), Yukiya Arashiro (Europcar), Simon Geschke & Georg Preidler (Both Giant-Shimano), Pieter Serry (Omega Pharma-QuickStep), Maxime Belkov (Katusha), Dario Cataldo (Sky), Michael Rogers & Nicolas Roche (both Tinkoff-Saxo) Danilo Hondo & Riccardo Zoidl (Both Trek Factory Racing)

Nico and Mick Rogers are leading the breakaway at the moment.

Rigoberto Uran
    Dan Lloyd tweeted a few pics of the Zoncolan during this morning. It looks class.

Bo9fUAvIUAEZ8rU.jpg:large

Bo9qgAEIUAAXaTj.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

Stunning aerial view of that dam!

Rigoberto Uran
    Mick Rogers has had some sort of mechanical on the descent of the Passo del Pura.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭serendip

Rigoberto Uran
    blobbie wrote: »
    Worth stopping for

Did he bring those flowers up with him?

Interflora motorbike

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

6 mins with a descent to come...decent chance for the breakaway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

Rafal Majka
    is oleg cycling today?

Rigoberto Uran
    Seemingly some Tinkoff-Saxo riders will be using a 34-28 or a 34-32 on the Zoncolan today! :eek:

Rigoberto Uran
    neris wrote: »
    is oleg cycling today?

Yep. Fair fúcks to him.
    @tinkoff_saxo: @olegtinkov on his way out on the final tough ride to Zoncolan - #giro pic.twitter.com/yzh7z0WkhO Last day for me , 2,000km!!!

Rigoberto Uran
    Rolland has attacked, followed by Pozzovivo and Majka.
    No reaction from Quintana.

Rigoberto Uran
    Oleg, the full kit banker.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

Rafal Majka
    this better be a good mountain with the hype the eurosport fella is giving it

Here comes the calculation......

spins dial & guesses

Rigoberto Uran
    neris wrote: »
    this better be a good mountain with the hype the eurosport fella is giving it

several km at 15% avg. its going to be savage!

Rigoberto Uran
    The breakaway have started the Zoncolan with an eight minute advantage.

• Advertisement

Wow

Advertisement