Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

supplement with banned substance not listed in ingredients!

Options
  • 30-05-2014 10:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭

"Veteran Scottish track cyclist Bruce Croall has been hit with a six-month doping ban despite a tribunal accepting he hadn’t intentionally taken an illegal stimulant.

The National Anti-Doping Panel’s final decision on the Croall case – just released - cleared him of deliberately doping, declaring: ‘Mr Croall has certainly proved to our comfortable satisfaction that Oxilofrine entered his body through his ingestion of Dorian Yates Nox Pump.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-2633331/Bruce-Croall-hit-six-month-doping-ban-veteran-Scottish-track-cyclist-fails-test.html#ixzz33Elc3eMt
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

"

that supplement brand has been around a few years now, Dorian Yates is one of the most successful and respected bodybuilders in the world, might not be a problem for bodybuilders but it's a little worrying to be using something and not realising theres unlisted amphetamines in it!

not only a problem for sports people, but for those on medication too

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Doc07

I'm sorry for the distress and inconvenience caused to this athlete. However, products like Nox Pump, Oxypump, Noxplode, Jack3D have been sold as pre-work out supplements for a few years now and have pictures of massive, ripped, veiny bodybuilders on the packaging and promise things like 'total work out domination' and 'mind blowing pumps'. They are used and promoted by bodybuilders many of whom take steriods, growth hormone etc. So while they it's unfair to buy a legal product and find it contains contaminated banned substances, surely any experienced athlete in a strict sport like cycling is nowadays should have the cop on not to use these products that flout the line between legal and banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

those are caffeine based with L-Arginine which is an amino acid,

all pro cyclists use supplements, I guess not all the companies use proper labeling. some state that they make sure there are no banned substances in their products and do batch testing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Surely not listing all ingredients in a product is illegal? Could he not sure the manufacturers?

I understand the point above re bodybuilding but it's not a fair point. A supplement is not a steroid, if I wanted to take a vitamin supplement, say iron as a vegetarian, and found out it contained a steroid, would I not be rightly pi$$ed.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Thats just grand isn't it.

"You didnt mean to break the rules, hell you didn't even know you were breaking the rules, but here have a ban on me anyways. Them's the breaks."

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Oink wrote: »

"You didnt mean to break the rules, hell you didn't even know you were breaking the rules, but here have a ban on me anyways. Them's the breaks."

They have to ban him. It would set a dangerous precedent to allow the defence of 'I didn't know I was taking it, honest!'

• Advertisement

Surely not listing all ingredients in a product is illegal? Could he not sure the manufacturers?

I understand the point above re bodybuilding but it's not a fair point. A supplement is not a steroid, if I wanted to take a vitamin supplement, say iron as a vegetarian, and found out it contained a steroid, would I not be rightly pi$$ed.

I agree that you should be allowed supplement your diet. Certainly cyclists should be allowed and maybe even encouraged to use B complex, vit C, amino acids, caffeine etc to help performance and recovery. But specific 'pre-workout , nitric oxide booster ' formula sold like the one above are mega doses of caffeine, arginine, beta alanine and whatever else they can get away with chucking in. The packaging and the marketing claims are screaming performance enhancing. While I agree it's not fair to unintentionally ingest a banned product , I'm sticking by my point that cyclists should avoid products heavily marketed to and by bodybuilders.
    I was once a wannabe bodybuilder before I got cycling and I would take anything off the shelves but I wouldn't have dreamt of taking some if the supplements if I was in a sport with dope controls. The supplement industry has scandalous regulation, for nearly two years in Ireland and elsewhere you could by Jack3D which contained amphetamine and it was only removed from shops in 2012. The products are contaminated so the user gets a great workout and buzz and keeps buying it.

So buy all the vitamins, iron amino acids, protein etc but think twice before buying a tub of something with a massive, juiced up bodybuilder marketed to gym rat teenagers and cage fighters.

I'm sure this has been covered before in detail but Rui Costa was banned for a similar product.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

So I just bought a load of Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey and the guy threw in a few jack3d samples. I remember the name from http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2270663/Claire-Squires-London-marathon-runner-died-heart-attack-taking-sports-supplement-Jack3D.html

Ain't this stuff illegal?

rom wrote: »
    So I just bought a load of Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey and the guy threw in a few jack3d samples. I remember the name from http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2270663/Claire-Squires-London-marathon-runner-died-heart-attack-taking-sports-supplement-Jack3D.html

more than likely has some ingredients changed, but double check its not the same formula from an old batch

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

tried jack 3d before a work out years ago. certainly packs more punch than a high five gel

• Advertisement

most pre workout supplements have a few ingredients that dont actually do anything(havent been show to in studies)

they rely on high caffeine content as a stimulant, you can buy caffeine from Ros Nutrition pretty cheap

more than likely has some ingredients changed, but double check its not the same formula from an old batch

They took the amphetamine( speed) like ingredient out.
    Would you take a supplement from a company wire a proven track record for putting illegal crap into their products?

Doc07 wrote: »
    They took the amphetamine( speed) like ingredient out.
    Would you take a supplement from a company wire a proven track record for putting illegal crap into their products?

it was legal at the time

I only buy from certain companies, and need to know what each ingredient does before I put it in my body

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

rom wrote: »

You'll be grand.
    Sure, they wouldn't give it to you, if there was anything wrong with it.
    What's the worst, that can happen.*

*Not a doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Oink wrote: »

The rule is zero tolerance- no breaks! The athlete is responsible for everything that enters their body. If in doubt - check it out or don't take it. When something is taken inadvertently, it is reflected in the finding/penalty.

Writing this makes me wonder what it was the boxer took 'inadvertently'. It's been very quiet since he returned home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

No chance I am going to take it. I thought it was strange that it was dropped in the box. Its a bit more than Optimum nutrition whey which I was buying.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

100% agreed. It was either listed on the packet, he's guilty, or it's not, he can (and rightly should) sue the f*ck out of the supplier.

Would love to see the chain of custody for both the supplement and for a random unopened pack from the same batch, just to be certain.

Advertisement