Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slow Down This Weekend

• 30-05-2014 10:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

Lads & lassies, keep to the speed limit this weekend. There is a major Garda operation in place for the bank holiday weekend.

http://www.thejournal.ie/speed-gardai-1494173-May2014/

I'll be on the roads myself tomorrow and Monday so I'll be taking it easy. Even though sometimes I do tend to drive over the limit at times, this weekend I'll be extra careful. Hope ye will be too.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

The media just love statistics......:rolleyes:

We all know that the speed limits on some roads are ridicilous and no-one keeps to them...its just shootin fish in a barrel.....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

Speed doesn't even cause accidents, crashing does!
    Correlation and causation innit? Basic logic failure there...

Those Vans are everywhere though the last few days. Bloody nuisance. They cause a hazard what with people slamming on the brakes when they see them.

Have they become more stealthy too lately?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

DubVelo wrote: »
    Correlation and causation innit? Basic logic failure there...

Those Vans are everywhere though the last few days. Bloody nuisance. They cause a hazard what with people slamming on the brakes when they see them.

Have they become more stealthy too lately?

^^^ All rubbish.

I took the message last night and only had a pint after work, but I was paranoid as f*ck heading home!.

(may or may not be true).

I wore jeans on the bike last night, and that usually slows me down plus I took notice of the various warnings issued this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,384 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Major holdups (for cages) yesterday evening approaching the Red Cow, guards had closed off all but one lane and looking for tax/insurance/NCT. I filtered past 90% of the queue and then they just waved me through :)

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Eh, I think speed does actually cause accidents. Not all accidents maybe but it does contribute.

I'm going down the country and usually it only takes me about two hours. But this weekend I'll be taking it slower. As Makikomi said, take notice of the warnings. I've been hearing about people I know who have been caught for speeding just this week alone. I don't want to add myself to that growing list!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 PlayerA

Thanks for the warning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭CNTRLR

1000 odd speeding fines in the first 24hrs of the weekend....they are getting better at hiding...

• Registered Users Posts: 39 PlayerA

Just back from the spin in the wicklow, couple of bikers with garda on the side of the roads :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,615 ✭✭✭prunudo

Myself and nerrad1983 went for a spin down towards Ferns, covered close on 230km's and didn't see a single Garda or speed van.
    Saw plenty of tractors mind you, silage season is in full swing, I'd be more worried about them than a media hyped crackdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Dont worry about them coppers :P.....they will only catch the slowest person!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Dont worry about them coppers :P.....they will only catch the slowest person!!!!

Ah hear, leave it ouh:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I got caught lat week they caught with gun from behind as they were on the entrance ramp and waited till I and everyone else had passed then got me.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

^^^ All rubbish.

It's bad driving and not paying attention that kills. Speeding is just an easy target.

Still no fun getting a ticket. (I imagine.)

I was in the cage the other day in a 100 zone, rolling along behind some other cars at just over 90. We come over a crest, there's a GoSafe van hiding; the person in front slams on the anchors right down to 65km/h! :rolleyes:

+1 one on the tractors, there's loads of them about, and muck all over the road from their tyres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

It's bad driving and not paying attention that kills. Speeding is just an easy target.
    Speed doesn't even cause accidents

IMO speeding & not paying attention to your speed are both bad driving and inattention which may cause a road user to crash.

But you may have a different opinion, I don't really care tbh.

Oh yea, I speed and act the tit too ~ is that bad riding, well if it causes me to crash then yes it is. Luckily its been 18 years since my last bad crash (on the bike) when I broke both elbows and my right wrist.. I was knocked off the bike by a cyclist breaking red lights & against the flow of traffic.

The campaign ran by the RSA and AGS this year was pretty high profile, I wonder if the public took notice and if RTA deaths are down on previous years.

I know I took the message on board, esp leaving the clubhouse at 05:30 on Sunday morning. I had an empty M50 and a fast bike, I kept it at motorway speeds and actually enjoyed the ride without the rush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Covered 700 kilometres over the weekend, only cops I saw were in Killarney town, no speed traps on the motorways and not a patrol car between here and Kerry.

Had a nice little blast against a Fireblade on the way home as well :D (on a closed circuit of course !!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Went to Co. Tipperary on Saturday and took the scenic route via Killaloe and didn't come across any speed traps. I chose that route as I figured there was a strong possibility of traps on the motorway. It is sometimes difficult to stick to just 120 kph on the motorway. I came back up today on the motorway and passed a guard with the speed camera set up on a tripod or some yoke. He was pulled into one of the rest stop areas not far from Crusheen. Luckily I was flashed in good time, so knew he was there. I will admit though that there were times that I was moving fairly rapidly today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Went up to Carlingford Lough on sat. Never took it out of 1st......:cool:

Advertisement