Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass unmarked grave for 800 babies in Tuam

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

tHERE IS NONE! Sorry for the shouting but wtf? How can there be no one in the believing community talking about this?
    Not so much as a prayer for them, maybe they are still stained by the sin of their parents. Sorry mothers, as the fathers were never punished for their conception.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

lynski wrote: »
    Go take a look at the discussion on this issue on the Christianity board. Interesting read.

There is no thread on this news story from what I can see, maybe I'm just missing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

tHERE IS NONE! Sorry for the shouting but wtf? How can there be no one in the believing community talking about this?

I was looking for it and thinking I had missed it :confused: Yeah, well that says a lot really doesn't it. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Heads buried in the sand imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

SeaDaily wrote: »
    Well put it this way, at no point have you openly said that the burials were inappropriate. If you don't think they are inappropriate you must think they are appropriate.

and yet....
    I'd only be guessing on the details, but I dont think they were buried correctly (without a coffin or grave marker).

• Advertisement

Not so much as a prayer for them, maybe they are still stained by the sin of their parents. Sorry mothers, as the fathers were never punished for their conception.

How dare they not discuss what we're discussing.

How dare they not discuss what we're discussing.

A scandal at the very heart of your church, you would think it would merit a thread but it hasn't even got a sniff of one, says it all really doesn't it.

eviltwin wrote: »
    A scandal at the very heart of your church, you would think it would merit a thread but it hasn't even got a sniff of one, says it all really doesn't it.

Be more interesting to open one and see how long it takes to get shut down and deleted.

To be fair, the Christianity forum is not the most active of boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭SeaDaily

and yet....

Apologies I must have missed that post. So you believe that the burials were inappropriate and yet you feel the church is not in the wrong... I see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Hoagy

Mark Patterson Show on BBC Radio Foyle did an interview with Catherine Corless, you can listen to it here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

In this thread you have been trying to make out that the church was not involved in this by saying that an investigation has to be carried out before any conclusions can be made. I would view that as a defence of the RCC. I think you would have to be a fool to believe the RCC isn't to blame and I wonder how many cases such as this and how much evidence you need to see to realise that the RCC is at fault here and has been at fault for countless other atrocities in Ireland over the last many decades.

So you can't find any post where I have defended or made excuses for the RCC. Why dont you just hold up your hands and say sorry I was mistaken?

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    So you can't find any post where I have defended or made excuses for the RCC. Why dont you just hold up your hands and say sorry I was mistaken?

Alright give me a minute and I'll make a post which includes each and every post of yours from this thread. I believe all of them are making excuses for the church and trying to deflect attention by saying that a full investigation hasn't been completed yet.

Apologies I must have missed that post. So you believe that the burials were inappropriate and yet you feel the church is not in the wrong... I see

OK, we'll have to start this again - where did I say "the church are not in the wrong"?

You seem to be confusing me stating we need to learn more facts about this case, for me defending and excusing what appears to have gone down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

To be fair, the Christianity forum is not the most active of boards.

Active enough to have a two page discussion on how the catholic chich is not the correct name for the Roman Catholic Church, all the the past 24 hrs. My point was that they still are not denying this, or refuting claims, they are not condemning the actions of the past or surprised by it. I am sure that the Catholic Church would to this day operate as it did in the past if society had not changed. I know five children age 22/23 born in mother and baby homes and destined for adoption initially when their mothers went in. That is not long ago.

Please direct me to the post on this thread in which I made any defence or made any excuses.
    I don't agree at all that I am the one who is being disrespetfull here. Posters are alleging murder and abuse and criminality before any investigation has taken place. No poster seems to be cogniscent of the possibility that parents of these dead children could be still alive and finding these allegations very traumatising. The rush to judgment here is alarming based on such scant evidence. And these allegations are allowed to go on pretty much unfettered. There is no doubt that a lynch mob mentality is very prevalent here and it is very troubling.
    I see that even before any of us have signed the petition, the investigation is over for a lot of posters.
    Apparently exactly 800 babies were murdered by the nuns, nobody here on A&A really cares how where why or when.
    All that matters to some folk is that we seem to have the magic ingredients
    1. Dead babies
    2. Nuns
    Don't let's be bothered with a proper investigation . Don't show any sensitivity to the families of these babies who maybe still alive and suffering horrendously as a result of this discovery. Just get me my pitchfork im in a mood to lynch some religious. We don't need know investigation. Its murder! Murder I tells ya!
    I'm not ashamed of anything. I havnt anything to be ashamed of.
    Certainly no need for any heart searching here. I've no problem signing it.
    I heart internet ,ryan101 and I have all called for a full a and thorough investigation into the discovery of this apparent mass grave. I don't see obsfucating or nitpicking on this thread or shouting down. Where do you see it?
    Yes but you don't know how the bodies got there. You don't know who put them there or why or when.
    You are just speculating.
    That's why there needs to be an investigation.
    You don't appear to want an investigation . You appear to want to go straight from wild allegations to punishment phase.
    BTW the Mercy Sisters won't be able to help the investigation as the actual Order of nuns is Bons Secours. Its always more productive to investigate the correct people.
    Well if even only the posters on this thread who claim to "know" what happened at Tuam made a statement to Gardai then the Guards would probably get permission from the judiciary to serve a warrant on the Order to compel them to cooperate. Then they would have to produce their records and the investigation could move on.
    Posters seem to be reluctant though to go to the Guards with their evidence . I don't know why. Its as if they don't actually know what happened and are just wildly recklessly speculating about a topic which may be causing terrible mental anguish to people involved who are still alive. And I'm not talking about the nuns.
    As far as I know an investigation has yet to take place, never mind conclusions being drawn.
    Yet you claim to know what happened.
    Have you presented your evidence to the Gardai? Another poster on this thread claimed to "know" what happened at Tuam as well. If everybody who "knows' what happened at Tuam r any other potential scene of crime would simply present themselves at a Garda station and make a statement then it would expediate each investigation and the Guards could move swiftly through the process to where arrests could be made.

There you go.

Alright give me a minute and I'll make a post which includes each and every post of yours from this thread. I believe all of them are making excuses for the church and trying to deflect attention by saying that a full investigation hasn't been completed yet.

So it should be simple to find one post that makes excuses and defends this.

Just his "quote" and pop it up here for us all to see.

OK, we'll have to start this again - where did I say "the church are not in the wrong"?

You seem to be confusing me stating we need to learn more facts about this case, for me defending and excusing what appears to have gone down.

Okay so we agree then. The church is in the wrong and an investigation needs to take place. Glad we sorted that out.

There you go.

How do these quotes prove what you claim they do?

The whole thing makes me so sad, all these children did was be born to an unmarried mother, they were innocent, their mothers were innocent too. Having a baby outside marriage isn't the worst thing anyone can do but the church still frown on it to this day and you have to wonder if the world hadn't moved on would they still be running these homes today.

• Advertisement

How do these quotes prove what you claim they do?

Myself and yourself came to an agreement I thought? Why the need to argue when we are agreeing with each other?

Okay so we agree then. The church is in the wrong and an investigation needs to take place. Glad we sorted that out.

The church failed miserably in caring for many children over many years. An investigation of this particular case is needed immediately.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Can anyone tell me, was it the norm to baptise babies born in institutions such as these?

The historian Catherine Corless found that the eldest child who died and subsequently has no burial record in any burial ground was 9 years of age and presumably was dumped in this septic tank.

This would have been a baptised Catholic, no? Also would have had their First Confession and First Holy Communion? But no Catholic burial in sanctified ground? If this is the case, its surely double standards no?

This is the final straw for me in my pulling away from the faith I was born in. I think your forum might have its newest member.

Neyite wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me, was it the norm to baptise babies born in institutions such as these?

The historian Catherine Corless found that the eldest child who died and subsequently has no burial record in any burial ground was 9 years of age and presumably was dumped in this septic tank.

This would have been a baptised Catholic, no? Also would have had their First Confession and First Holy Communion? But no Catholic burial in sanctified ground? If this is the case, its surely double standards no?

This is the final straw for me in my pulling away from the faith I was born in. I think your forum might have its newest member.

Welcome to the dark side, on Tuesdays it's chocolate ice cream........chocolate:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

An investigation of this particular case is needed immediately.

What facts lead you to think an investigation is needed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

What it says to me is that the A&A forum despite its title is absolutely consumed with religion, no, Christianity, no, Catholicism and the regular posters on the Christianity forum couldn't give a toss about the atheists.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The church failed miserably in caring for many children over many years. An investigation of this particular case is needed immediately.

Grand, but thats been covered to death by you already. How many more times do you need to say it?

An investigation request is already being made as I showed in a news story,

What facts lead you to think an investigation is needed?

Very few. Just reports of human remains in a mass grave in Tuam. We don;t know a whole lot more than that but I think it merits and investigation as it is.

Cabaal wrote: »
    An investigation request is already being made as I showed in a news story,

So what do we do now?

Wait?

Or speculate wildly?

Mmmm difficult one that.

• Advertisement

So what do we do now?

Wait?

Or speculate wildly?

Mmmm difficult one that.

Assuming the church had a part to play in this is hardly wild speculation...

Advertisement