Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass unmarked grave for 800 babies in Tuam

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    I've no idea. I'm sure all will be revealed after the investigation. Out of respect for any surviving family members I think it would be cruel offensive and distatsefull to speculate.

Do you think they may be speculating the same thing? I know if my child died and was dumped in a pit with hundreds of others and there was no record of what they died of or how they came to be tossed into pit then i would be speculating the hell out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Yes, the Gardaí should have arrested the nuns, the DPP should have prosecuted them, the Government should have seized their assets, and provided for the imprisoned women and children...

The Gardaí at the time Zub colluded with the nuns, as did the DPP, and the Government, and the civil servants of the State, and even the families of these women and children themselves supported the workhouses and laundries, so they were hardly going to have a word said against them!

I think it's worth noting too that the last laundry/asylum only closed in 1996.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Czarcasm wrote: »
    The Gardaí at the time Zub colluded with the nuns, as did the DPP, and the Government, and the civil servants of the State, and even the families of these women and children themselves supported the workhouses and laundries, so they were hardly going to have a word said against them!

I think it's worth noting too that the last laundry/asylum only closed in 1996.

Yes, because if you tried to stand up to the church, they'd just say sorry and do the right thing.

"A couple of days later I had a visit in Dublin from the nuns' man of affairs and he was followed by the Dean of Cork, Monsignor Sexton, and finally the Bishop of Cork complained to the Papal Nuncio who went to see Devalera"
    http://goldenbridgeinmate39.wordpress.com/2013/08/21/bessborough-house-co-cork/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I've no idea. I'm sure all will be revealed after the investigation. Out of respect for any surviving family members I think it would be cruel offensive and distatsefull to speculate.

You do realise that when investigating a crime lots of speculation is done right? Here we have a place containing children with reported deaths but no reports of where these children where buried. Where did the bodies go? We just happen to come across a mass unmarked grave on the premises. These didnt get here on their own so how did they get there?

So what we have is known dead children but not where they were buried and a mass grave of children on the same site. Who would have put these bodies there? Did they grow out of the ground? Did the locals secretly put their children here? Is it all and atheist ethnic cleansing conspiracy? Did the nuns put them there?

Any other ideas? Considering the track record of nuns and children in this country it is very probable it was the nuns. Which part of this is the "wild" part?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Dades wrote: »
    I've been following this thread. The usage of "FYP" is an Internet discussion norm. It's not everyone's cup of tea, and overuse is frowned upon. But single usage such as in this thread is not breaking any rules.

The inclusion of the term "FYP" lets people know that your quote has been edited, so it doesn't change your original post in any way.

I'm only seeing this reply now. Fair enough. I still think in this context it was cheap point scoring , but we'll leave it at that. Thanks for the prompt reply.

• Advertisement

SeaDaily wrote: »
    Nope. The first question asked "why", the second asked "who".

I would be giving you the same reply to Who What Where or Why or When. I don't know, neither do you.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Terrlock

It really sickens be to the core the amount of evil acts like this that have occurred in our country only to be covered up and not investigated, and when they are brought to light no through apologies are given, just excuses of why they happened.

This really needs thorough investigation, we need to know what happened, why it happened and what have been done to stop this from ever happening again.

Even if the people who committed this most evil act are passed on at this stage the organisation of the Catholic Church must be brought to justice, if it has any wrong doing on it's part.

I don't get why people here though associate the Catholic Church with Christianity, if anything it's anti Christianity, it's just another Cult that was given way to much power over the people and abused that power.

They enslaved people for their so called sins, the made people feel that they were bad people and needed to pay for their sins true cruel punishment and all for the greed of money and power.

The truth should come out and Justice needs to be done for all those lives that were lost to their cruel deeds.

I don't know why people conclude from one organisation's evil acts that this is proof there is no God.

If anything it's proof of how willing people are to be ruled by evil, how we give evil control over our lives and how Governments stand by while there citizens are under control.

Jesus came to show people how to live free from sin and free from evil. He did not condemn the prostitute when the people brought her to him to be stoned to death, in fact he did the opposite he set her free.

True Christianity is about how we can break free from evil and not live our lives as slaves.

I pray that Justice will be done, for all those lives lost and the people that suffered from these cruel acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

I've just answered that question. Its the post right above yours.

Are you really that wilfully ignorant that you don't think the people running the place were responsible? Really? Are you seriously trying to say that with a straight face? Are you really, honestly trying to say that?

iguana wrote: »
    Less than 4 hours since it went live and we've passed 250 signatures on the petition. Hopefully it will gain momentum and we'll meet the initial goal of 2000 tomorrow. Once we achieve that number I'm going to start sending the link to TDs.

Could you post the Link to the petition please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Chill out there now, no need to resort to swearing.

I apologize for that. Civility and tolerance are in short supply when you inaccurately infer that I support the repugnant actions of reprehensible human beings as if I think they are in any way representative of anything the RCC represents.

I never once referred to you at any point btw.

You did, only your inference was inaccurate -

If you feel the church did not have a part to play in this then that's okay, but I simply disagree.

• Advertisement

Nodin wrote: »
    And ive provided more insight into the conditions in such homes in the period. Care to comment now?

You seem to be confusing an article you lifted from the well known left wing liberal website journal.is with proven facts relating to this tragedy in Tuam. So, no, I've nothing further to add except to reiterate that unfounded allegations of criminality are hurtfull to surviving family members.

You seem to be confusing an article you lifted from the well known left wing liberal website journal.is with proven facts relating to this tragedy in Tuam. So, no, I've nothing further to add except to reiterate that unfounded allegations of criminality are hurtfull to surviving family members.
    Do you have evidence they find these comments hurtful or are you just speculating?

Terrlock wrote: »
    It really sickens be to the core the amount of evil acts like this that have occurred in our country only to be covered up and not investigated, and when they are brought to light no through apologies are given, just excuses of why they happened.

This really needs thorough investigation, we need to know what happened, why it happened and what have been done to stop this from ever happening again.

Even if the people who committed this most evil act are passed on at this stage the organisation of the Catholic Church must be brought to justice, if it has any wrong doing on it's part.

I don't get why people here though associate the Catholic Church with Christianity, if anything it's anti Christianity, it's just another Cult that was given way to much power over the people and abused that power.

They enslaved people for their so called sins, the made people feel that they were bad people and needed to pay for their sins true cruel punishment and all for the greed of money and power.

The truth should come out and Justice needs to be done for all those lives that were lost to their cruel deeds.

I don't know why people conclude from one organisation's evil acts that this is proof there is no God.

If anything it's proof of how willing people are to be ruled by evil, how we give evil control over our lives and how Governments stand by while there citizens are under control.

Jesus came to show people how to live free from sin and free from evil. He did not condemn the prostitute when the people brought her to him to be stoned to death, in fact he did the opposite he set her free.

True Christianity is about how we can break free from evil and not live our lives as slaves.

I pray that Justice will be done, for all those lives lost and the people that suffered from these cruel acts.

If your "god" allows this kind of evil to exist and allow his so called representatives on Earth to carry out these acts then i will happily denounce it from every rooftop.

Are you stating that |Bessborough house and the others did not have high mortality rates?

Are you saying that Dr Neenys account is false?

smokingman wrote: »
    Are you really that wilfully ignorant that you don't think the people running the place were responsible? Really? Are you seriously trying to say that with a straight face? Are you really, honestly trying to say that?

I think that what's wilfully ignorant is to continue speculating slanderously about an uninvestigated tragedy, when its clear that this speculation would be distressing for any surviving family members. Why do you think the mainstream media are taking a softly softly approach?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

bumper234 wrote: »
    Could you post the Link to the petition please.

Here you go;

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition/Frances_Fitzgerald_Irish_Minister_for_Justice_and_Equality_A_full_Gardai_investigation_into_the_mass_grave_in_Tuam_Co_Ga/

Can people who sign it also share it through their social networks. It's picking up momentum now (nearly 400) and the faster it's shared the more signatures it will get.

Nodin wrote: »
    Are you stating that |Bessborough house and the others did not have high mortality rates?

Are you saying that Dr Neenys account is false?

I'm saying that I fail to see what bearing these cases have on the Tuam tragedy. Taking into account that we are still totally in the dark about Tuam. As I've now said many, many times.

I think that what's wilfully ignorant is to continue speculating slanderously about an uninvestigated tragedy, when its clear that this speculation would be distressing for any surviving family members. Why do you think the mainstream media are taking a softly softly approach?

This account was produced by Griffith college.
    http://www.indymedia.ie/attachments/jun2011/bethany_home_and_state_nm_for_min_24may11.pdf

I'm saying that I fail to see what bearing these cases have on the Tuam tragedy. Taking into account that we are still totally in the dark about Team. As I've now said many, many times.

The place was run concurrently with the others. It too had a massive death rate.

I guess it is true so, the studied link between religiosity and the total lack of empathy for fellow humankind.

• Advertisement

Here you go;

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition/Frances_Fitzgerald_Irish_Minister_for_Justice_and_Equality_A_full_Gardai_investigation_into_the_mass_grave_in_Tuam_Co_Ga/

Can people who sign it also share it through their social networks. It's picking up momentum now (nearly 400) and the faster it's shared the more signatures it will get.
    Signed and shared. Here's hoping it has some effect

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭daveohdave

Here you go;

Sorry, I won't sign an Avaaz petition, they're not too be trusted. Just Google the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Terrlock

bumper234 wrote: »
    If your "god" allows this kind of evil to exist and allow his so called representatives on Earth to carry out these acts then i will happily denounce it from every rooftop.

Exactly that, who are these so called representatives.....certainly not the Catholic church. Why to people think they can possible represent anything to do with God. They have proven themselves quite the opposite in my view.

Many religions and cults claim to represent God around the world, all for money, power and control over people.

Here you go;

Done and done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Here you go;

Signed and shared

Here you go;

Signed and shared

Do you have evidence they find these comments hurtful or are you just speculating?

Not speculating. Concerned. I can just try to put myself in their shoes (its called having empathy). I think that if I had given birth 50 years ago to a baby which I was later told had died, then I would have preferred to imagine that that baby had been given a decent funeral, had died of natural causes, was lying peacefully. I would be distraught if I became aware that people who knew less about it then I were alleging murder , negligence, cruelty etc. That's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Get the fcuk down off your moral high horse.

Ahh now, you can say that sentence (and your post) in far more politer tones. Please do in future.

Not speculating. Concerned. I can just try to put myself in their shoes (its called having empathy). I think that if I had given birth 50 years ago to a baby which I was later told had died, then I would have offered to imagine that that baby had been given a decent funeral, had died of natural causes, was lying peacefully. I would be distraught if I became aware that people who knew less about it then I were alleging murder , negligence, cruelty etc. That's all.

Knew less the the person who had the child? Did the women know what was happening? Did they know how their children were "buried" after dying in poor conditions created by the nuns? You would be distraught if others wanted justice for what happened to your child? It would give me some hope knowing that there was someone who cared about what happened.

• Advertisement

Not speculating. Concerned. I can just try to put myself in their shoes (its called having empathy). I think that if I had given birth 50 years ago to a baby which I was later told had died, then I would have preferred to imagine that that baby had been given a decent funeral, had died of natural causes, was lying peacefully. I would be distraught if I became aware that people who knew less about it then I were alleging murder , negligence, cruelty etc. That's all.

You're speculating on people's reaction when such reaction is completely subjective. You wouldn't know how you'd feel unless you experienced it. I doubt any of the mothers give a monkeys about what strangers think. ..I would imagine they'd be more outraged that their bodies ended up in a septic tank for two kids to find purely by accident.

To try and clutch at straws like this to quieten people speaking negatively about the Catholic Church is absolutely incredible.

Advertisement