Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass unmarked grave for 800 babies in Tuam

Options

Comments

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Many believe that an Irish government is unwilling/unable to investigate properly so it has been decided to petition the U.N. directly:

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition/The_United_Nations_Crimes_Against_Humanity_Investigate_the_Mother_Baby_Homes_Forced_Adoptions_Medical_Experiments/?dIUCsab&pv=0lease

The actual petition could do with some improved wording there I think...

".........With regard to the entanglement of State and Church, and the lack of clarity of oversight responsibility, we believe that a third party investigation is most prudent in this case. The State has previously shown an unwillingness to initiate investigations into these matters (reference ARN etc), and cannot be expected to satisfactorily impose sanctions in this case (reference RIRB & lack of contributions). We therefore call for an investigation from a Third Party that has valid jurisdiction and given the severity of the crimes accused, we believe that the UN is the most fair arbiter ........"

ish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Might be worth getting someone with legal background to draft texts for petitions to ensure they're hitting the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Bellatori wrote: »
    Personally I blame Hamurabi. If that monster had not started writing down laws no one would have been any the wiser.

Why do people always end up blaming the Brits. We gave the world civilisation. Think of all those things that the world would not have had but for us Brits... East India Company, Slave trade, Idi Amin, Israel and Palestine, The Sultan of Brunei... Some people are just ungrateful. :o

Oh come on... a mere 90 years. It took over 170 years to repeal ...

Well...technically Henry VIII and his heirs were still our monarchs up until recently...might still be actually....see, a researcher happened upon some documents best filed under 'oops we forgot to repeal that bit of legislation. Golly, this is still legal legislation.'

Oh how us historians laughed and laughed and then we cried.

".........With regard to the entanglement of State and Church, and the lack of clarity of oversight responsibility, we believe that a third party investigation is most prudent in this case........"
    SpaceTime wrote: »
    Might be worth getting someone with legal background to draft texts for petitions to ensure they're hitting the mark.

I had no hand or part in the drafting - Just sharing it - maybe someone should contact Lindsey R who put up the petition...I am a ickle bit busy chain smoking and storming around the garden swearing at the end of every chapter of which ever report I am currently reading....:(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2014/06/12/saving-the-nuns-by-ministerial-order/
    Dr Lindsey Earner-Byrne’s book Mother And Child, which detailed how many deaths took place in 1933, in Tuam in Galway; Bessborough in Cork; Sean Ross Abbey in Tipperary and Pelletstown in Dublin showed St. Patrick’s/Pelletstown recorded the second highest level of illegitimate infant deaths (53) behind Sean Ross Abbey (60) in that year.

St Patrick’s also sent 254 children to the US for adoption from the 1940′s to the 1970′s.

In addition between 1940 and 1965, St Patrick’s and it‘s sister hospital St Kevin’s (now St James’s) ‘donated’ the bodies of at least 461 dead babies to all the major medical teaching institutions in the state, including Trinity College Dublin, the College of Surgeons and UCD medical school.

So they must be really worried now?

donated....well isn't that nice eh?
    Well.

The Residential Institutions Redress Board. was a board set up under legislation in 2002 to compensate residents of certain institutions who were victims of institutional abuse.

The redress scheme was linked to an indemnity agreement brokered between the then [Fianna Fail] Education Minister Dr Michael Woods and 18 religious organisations – including the Daughters of Charity– who paid a contribution in return for the State, essentially taxpayers, to pay the bill for all the claims arising from the redress scheme.

Last year, a Prime Time investigation, showed how the Protestant-run Bethany Home in Rathgar, Dublin 6, was repeatedly refused its requests to be added to the redress scheme because it was a mother and baby home.

In contrast, St Patrick’s mother and baby home was added to the scheme, following lobbying by the Daughters of Charity.

Their request for St Patrick’s mother and baby home to be added to the redress scheme was granted at the end of 2004, by ‘ministerial order’ by Mary Hanafin, then Minister for Education.

Good times.

Double standards much?

So nothings changed then,
    Catholics = good, protestants = bad

• Advertisement

I had no hand or part in the drafting - Just sharing it - maybe someone should contact Lindsey R who put up the petition...I am a ickle bit busy chain smoking and storming around the garden swearing at the end of every chapter of which ever report I am currently reading....:(

I'm just saying that you did.
    Just in general it is a good idea as you can ensure it's hitting all the correct legal points.

Don't storm too much ! :) it's one of three nicest days of the year.

The RIRB is another scandal that needs to be looked at in its entirety again.

It's an outrageous piece of legislation.

I'm just saying that you did.
    Just in general it is a good idea as you can ensure it's hitting all the correct legal points.

Don't storm too much ! :) it's one of three nicest days of the year.

typo? ;)

Fair enough as an observation.

I may be cranky today....:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭eire4

Cabaal wrote: »
    I agree he should, however it won't happen.

Why?
    Because the Vatican are in the process of fast tracking JP II to saint hood, a man that knew all about the sex abuse will soon be a saint.

you'd think the media should be screaming about how fecked up this is, but no....the media reported it as a great thing and even RTE did alot of coverage of it

Says it all really about the modern Church that they are fast tracking John Paul 2 for sainthood. Nothing has really changed there and all we hear from them is words of how sorry they are. But the reality is all they care about is maintaining power, control and money.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭abaddon_ire

Do you speak with Ratzinger often? You seem to know his mind on this matter.
    Mt 7:16 Ye shall know them by their fruits.

Even the Holey Babble condemns them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

see, a researcher happened upon some documents best filed under 'oops we forgot to repeal that bit of legislation. Golly, this is still legal legislation.'

I'd like to see that, actually.

I'd like to see that, actually.

I shall endeavour to unearth it when I have a spare minute from hunting babby starving baddies.

I do remember it was the BBC who broke the story about...ohhhhh...5 years ago or there abouts.

Cabaal wrote: »
    http://www.broadsheet.ie/2014/06/12/saving-the-nuns-by-ministerial-order/

donated....well isn't that nice eh?

Double standards much?

So nothings changed then,
    Catholics = good, protestants = bad

In reality both sets of organisations have their dodgy history ...

typo? ;)

Fair enough as an observation.

I may be cranky today....:cool:

Probably! I got a new phone... Taking a while to get used to the bigger screen for typing on.

You can expect a few strange typos for a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

I shall endeavour to unearth it when I have a spare minute from hunting babby starving baddies.

I do remember it was the BBC who broke the story about...ohhhhh...5 years ago or there abouts.

No rush, you're busy doing important stuff, like finding murderers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

This is a slide show of photographs taken by Michael O'Brien of the derelict Good Shepherds Convent/Orphanage/Magdalene Laundry Cork in 2010.

It shows the sheer size of the place and hints at the scale of the operation.

Imagine finding yourself in here...
    Abandon all hope, ye who enter :(

I've walked around it in the past, t'is an unsettling experience.Also spoke to a person who was pretty much raised in the place,wrecked their mental health. They found 155 unmarked graves there btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Bellatori wrote: »
    Personally I blame Hamurabi. If that monster had not started writing down laws no one would have been any the wiser.

Why do people always end up blaming the Brits. We gave the world civilisation. Think of all those things that the world would not have had but for us Brits... East India Company, Slave trade, Idi Amin, Israel and Palestine, The Sultan of Brunei... Some people are just ungrateful. :o

Reminded me of one of my favourite lines from the Patrick O'Brian books: "Was it not the Celt who taught the Saxon his letters? With, admittedly, limited success".

:D

Corkfeen wrote: »
    I've walked around it in the past, t'is an unsettling experience.Also spoke to a person who was pretty much raised in the place,wrecked their mental health. They found 155 unmarked graves there btw.

Reminded me of Pripyat, Ukraine.

We do tend to conveniently forget that what what ended up with was really a bastardised version of puritanical Victorian society with its rigid social class system and a very harshly puritanical version of Catholicism.

Both were all about class and punishing anything 'sinful' or unrespectable.

They combined to create an very inhumane and society that really aimed to force conformity.

I really think when we look at what being Irish is all about that we are a lot more than that horrible period of history.

We have a lot of idealism, a lot of great social entrepreneurs and we once had one of the most progressive legal systems in the known world.

I honestly think we are rediscovering the good stuff about Ireland but we really urgently need to deal with the horrors of that ultra conservative period too.

I think Irish people were more oppressed and living in fear of authority figures than genuinely conservative. We're a fairly gregarious bunch most of the time and I'm not really seeing where the cold conservativism fits with the otherwise warm, people focused mentality that most Irish people seem to have.

The church and conservatives used the ultimate sanction : the threat of social exclusion and condemnation to control society.

I'm not religious at all but, I'd much rather see the more human face of the old Gaelic church approach than this medievalism that seems to have taken over from it.

YES! Reading this has gladdened my little historian heart. :D

Ironic that the one facet of the Gaelic world our myth makers did let us keep was it's ultimate sanction. Our Gaelic ancestors didn't execute people - they stopped 'seeing' them. I sometimes think when reading the old law texts that if it wasn't for the lack of antibiotics and broadband I'd be happy enough back there - but then I would have high status and be allowed to wear a coat of many colours :pac:

Back when I was a fresher I used to wonder why historians of Ireland with a medievalist/early modernist bent were so damn cranky, touchy and generally snappy when one made a 'learnt that in school' kind of comment.

Now I am that cranky, touchy and generally snappy medievalist/early modernist. See, us mumbling in the corner cranky pants know the extent we have been lied to about our history. I am convinced this was deliberate as Eoin MacNeill knew his stuff and I wonder how he reconciled his scholarship with the twee Celtic twilight diddly eiddly saints and scholars catholic since Patrick BS that was being promulgated throughout out new 'independent' education system. Perhaps that is why he climbed back into his ivory tower house....

D.A Binchy did do amazing work on Gaelic Law which he published as Corpus Iuris Hibernici, but it is telling that although he did write on the status of Gaelic women in the 1930s - he published the resulting article in German (he was ambassador to Germany for a while) and it lay unknown to most people in Ireland until Donnachada O Corrain happened upon it in the 70s.

I do find it interesting that the foremost scholar of Brehon Law in shiny new 'independent' Ireland felt the need to publish the results of his work on women in the Gaelic world in a language most Irish people could not read - could it be because that work showed that women as utterly submissive to men was not, in fact, the 'natural order' of things and that Gaelic women - even within an undoubtedly Patriarchal and patrilinial society - had legal rights unheard of in the Roman world and it's bastard off spring 'Christendom'?

It is sad and ironic that by the time O'Corrain found Binchy's article in the 70s the legal rights of Irish women were so much less than Binchy showed their ancestors enjoyed - it took European intervention for us to get back what we had lost in the 17th century so intent were our political masters in keeping Ireland 'Victorian'.

It is also sad and ironic fact is our heritage would have been safer if we had remained in the Union (our women and children certainly would have been). Since 'independence' the civil authorities have - whether by design or apathy is debatable - allowed the whole scale destruction of irreplaceable documents and artefacts relating to pre-Tudor Ireland... unless there is a clerical connection of course - even if it is a made up one like that assigned to Round Towers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I sometimes think when reading the old law texts that if it wasn't for the lack of antibiotics and broadband I'd be happy enough back there

I would miss my dentist!

• Advertisement

I would miss my dentist!

I wouldn't but I take your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

This is a slide show of photographs taken by Michael O'Brien of the derelict Good Shepherds Convent/Orphanage/Magdalene Laundry Cork in 2010.

It shows the sheer size of the place and hints at the scale of the operation.

Imagine finding yourself in here...
    Abandon all hope, ye who enter :(

Oh looky. ANOTHER fire in a convent/laundry/hell hole.... The convenience is staggering...:(

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Oh looky. ANOTHER fire in a convent/laundry/hell hole.... The convenience is staggering...:(

But luckily, things like nuns habits, holy books, altar cloths, wooden pews, crucifixes, religious paintings and wall hangings and other valuable things like that escaped the inferno.

Phew!

Some of RTÉ's Prime Time episodes regarding the Homes, Adoption Process and Medical Trials have been made available again

worth watching - in particular regarding the donations and request for money.

At the same time, do bear in mind that the Nun in the video says that in their records they could find no mention of fees, and no receipts.

Two more up, Magdelene Laundries ones.
    http://www.rte.ie/player/gb/show/10292444/
    A twenty minute film on the Magdalene Laundries focusing on the experiences of three women: Samantha Long, who found her Mother in a laundry; Marina Permaul, and Mary Merritt, who spent over a decade in the laundries. First broadcast: 25/09/2012

important one
    http://www.rte.ie/player/gb/show/10292440/
    This programme was broadcast on the day the McAleese report was published into state involvement in the Magdalene Laundries. It included audience contribution from survivors including Mary Merritt, who spent over a decade in the laundries. First broadcast: 05/02/2013

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

robindch wrote: »
    I am getting angry because people like Ryan are trivialising or trying to deny the deliberate murder (and don't kid yourself if you think otherwise) of 800 children by their state appointed guardians.
    A judgement of "murder" is handed down by a duly constituted Court of Law and not by a Galway historian, no matter how well-intentioned (s)he is and regardless of how accurate (s)he is believed to be now, and subsequently turns out to be. Until a legal judgement is made concerning this matter, the presumption of innocence -- granted, unlikely in this case -- prevails.

And talk of murder and murders is premature, unhelpful and inflammatory and, should any of the people involved still be alive, potentially libellous.
    No rush, you're busy doing important stuff, like finding murderers.
    Brian - you've been warned about this before. You'll be carded or banned if you use this kind of inflammatory language again.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Neyite wrote: »
    But luckily, things like nuns habits, holy books, altar cloths, wooden pews, crucifixes, religious paintings and wall hangings and other valuable things like that escaped the inferno.

Phew!

It's a miracle! God works in mysterious ways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

How many inmates files or operating files from the institution were destroyed in this fire?

How many inmates files or operating files from the institution were destroyed in this fire?

About as many as the nuns wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

About as many as the nuns wanted.

Do you know if any files were lost in this case? Seriously?

• Advertisement

Just to remind people - in case anyone wants to do a bit of nosey poking - of our list of worthies tasked with over seeing St Mary's, Tuam.
    Also hats off to obliq who really is playing a blinder in uncovering enough info to allow me to ascertain for certain who these people were.

1927/28:
    Rev. Canon MacAlinney (sp?)
    Canon Ryder
    Mr E Corbett
    Mr Crowe
    Mr T Flanagan
    Mr J Gallagher
    Mr M Hallman
    Mr Leonard
    Mr G Lynch
    Mr J McDonagh
    Mr J McKeigue
    Mr M Mylotte
    Mr J J Nestor
    Mr S O'Connor.

1937/38

Co. Galway Homes and Home Assistance Committee.

Chair:

Martin O Regan.

Members:

Mr. E. Corbett.
    Mr. J. McKeigue
    Mr. P. Reynolds
    Mr. J. Shiel.
    Mr. M. Connelly.
    Mr. M. Quinn.
    Mr. M.O. Finnerty
    Mr. P. Kyne.

Name and Shame # 2

James J. Nestor.

DOB: c1878, Quinaltagh, Dunmore, Galway.
    DOD. 1957, Tuam, Galway.

J.J Nestor attended Garrafrauns National School (lovely little Catholic/nationalist 'history' of the school here http://www.garrafrauns.com/page23.php) and was a noted Gaelic footballer. Twice captaining Dunmore McHales to Senior County Final victories (1900 & 1902) .
    He later became manager and chairman of the Galway Senior Football Board. The Galway Championship cup is the called the J.J. Nestor Cup in his honour.
    http://dunmorens.com/dunmore_machales.html

note: John McHale had been archbishop of Tuam - he was agin the secular national school system and pro- education under the religious orders. It may be coincidence that only 3 national schools -- by which I mean actual national schools - were opened in Tuam during his tenure
    MacHale condemned the Poor Law, and the system of National Schools and Queen's Colleges as devised by the Government. He founded his own schools, entrusting those for boys to the Christian Brothers and Franciscan monks, while Sisters of Mercy and Presentation Nuns taught the girls. Want of funds restricted the number of these schools,which had to be supplemented by the National Board at a later period, when the necessary amendments had been added to the Bill.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_MacHale

In 1899, Nestor helped found the Dunmore Dramatic Society. http://www.dads-dunmore.com/33532718

Photo of the all male cast of a 1900 production - all their productions were men only. Better a cock in a frock than a woman on the stage.

i35600017._szw1280h1280_.jpg.jfif

The 1901 census has 26 year old Nestor living, with 14 other men, in what appears to be some form of boarding house/hostel for shop assistants at 2.1 Bridge St, Dunmore. He is literate and bi-lingual. http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Galway/Dunmore/Bridge_Street/1399013/http://www.dads-dunmore.com/33532718

By 1911 the now 33 year old (!) Nestor was married to Minnie O'Connor from Kerry with two young sons and a domestic servant in the form of 16 year old Sara Kelly (I suspect a local girl as a Sarah Kelly appears on Griffith's valuation 1864. Names tended to 'run' in families so a grandmother perhaps(?) This pure conjecture on my part). He was also a prosperous merchant living above his shop at 4 Bridge Street, Dunmore, Galway (the shop as it currently looks here https://maps.google.ie/maps?um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=4++Bridge+Street+(Dunmore+South,+Galway)&layer=c&z=17&iwloc=A&sll=53.618740,-8.743203&cbp=13,95.9,0,0,0&cbll=53.618741,-8.743221&sa=X&ei=csmaU4yaPKbQ7AaztoCAAg&ved=0CCAQxB0wAA).
    The property was considered to be a '1st class' house.

At the time Nestor is confirmed on as being on the committee overseeing St Mary's, Tuam on behalf of Galway Co. Co. he was also attempting to win a seat in Dáil Éireann. Running on the Cumann na nGaedheal ticket he was unsuccessfull in both of the 1927 General Elections. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galway_(D%C3%A1il_%C3%89ireann_constituency)#June_1927_general_election

By the time of his death in 1957, Nestor was a comfortably well off auctioneer and businessman. http://dunmorens.com/dunmore_machales.html

A footballing, prosperous, pillar of the community.

That's one FF TD in the form of Eamonn Corbett and one wanna be CnG TD in the form of J J Nestor so far...

Will update as more info confirmed.

Advertisement