Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting Ranges in the US

Options
  • 30-05-2014 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭

I'm planning to heading stateside in September. We're looking to visit the south, which states have the most user friendly laws regarding tourists using weapons on a range? Can anyone recommend any places or ranges they've been in particular?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

Give us the states and areas you are visiting or thinking about visiting, and we have ways of finding out. Many of the "pay to shoot" indoor ranges open to the public have handgun rentals. Outdoor ranges vary from private clubs to state and other public facilities, I'd say on average most do not have rentals. If you are going to the southland its all pretty gun and shooting friendly and southern hospitality still exists (as long as the people you meet are from there.) One really nice unintended consequence of "the times we are in" - more gun owners, especially women, more guns sold, more gun stores, and more places to shoot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

Only a yank could possibly state that a "nice" consequence of the times we are in is ......... more guns. LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

roadsmart wrote: »
    Only a yank could possibly state that a "nice" consequence of the times we are in is ......... more guns. LOL.

Yep. It called freedom of choice.

Most places don't have it.

In fact, only the US of A on this planet has it.

Enjoy!

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Cheers Tac, thinking of visiting Texas, Mississippi, Tennessee, Alabama, New Orleans. We've only got 2 weeks so won't be hitting them all.

You're in clover, about the most shooter friendly places in the world. Here is just one example, San Antonio, TX

http://aplacetoshoot.com/

Here's a handy search tool for planning: http://findnra.nra.org/

I used to live near Nashville. In Tennessee people (the locals) are about as friendly as you could ever expect. Several nice places to shoot. You can find zip (postal) codes for places you might visit on line too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

BigDuffman wrote: »
    Cheers Tac, thinking of visiting Texas, Mississippi, Tennessee, Alabama, New Orleans. We've only got 2 weeks so won't be hitting them all.

Well, that's a mighty ambitious agenda you have there - I spent six weeks in TX and didn't see but the top right corner.

Depending on when you are going, be prepared to swelter, and I'll leave it at that. As a very far northerner I suffered greatly from the heat, especially in Louisiana.

I'm sure you'll have a great time - I never met a shooting man who wouldn't have sold his mrs into slavery for the chance to stay - hit just one Cabela's and you'll see what I mean.

My nearest Bass Pro store - just outside Tronna - has facilities where you can try out your canoe....without leaving the store.

North America - there really is nothing else like it.:D

Take mucho dinero on a dollar passport to save cash. Around $5000 should see you OK for a couple of weeks if you are not a real spender.

Just let your wife make her own financial arrangements...:D

Best

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭fitzgese

\

Can I mod delete this? Posted in error thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

BigDuffman wrote: »
    I'm planning to heading stateside in September. We're looking to visit the south, which states have the most user friendly laws regarding tourists using weapons on a range? Can anyone recommend any places or ranges they've been in particular?

Most Southern States are gun-friendly. The anti's are usually, but not limited to the coasts.

If you want to shoot, avoid: NY, NJ, CT, CA, MA, IL, WI, and DC. In some of these area you cannot even touch a firearm without being licensed.

Some of the better states, in the South/West are FL, TX, and AZ.

Perhaps, if you had an itinerary, someone could better help out. Have you any particular cities that you want to see? That could help narrow down the search. There must be thousands of ranges to choose from.

You will also need to search for places that rent firearms. Many ranges will not have such facilities.

fitzgese wrote: »
    \

Can I mod delete this? Posted in error thanks

Yeah, hit the "edit" button and you can write what you want or just make a new post.

Best thing for the original poster is to use the NRA search tool provided, it lets you search ranges, clubs, and a variety of venues. Then you can use the internet or help from us to fine tune you in.

Advertisement