Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Question about the clutch pedal for my EDT lessons

Options
  • 31-05-2014 2:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I am half way through my EDT lessons at the moment, really enjoying them, my instructor is great, but I have one question,
    When I am needing to slow down for any reason, I always clutch then break slowly, as I was told by a friend to do that before I started my lessons,
    but my instructor is telling me to brake gently, then clutch ,then ease of the brake, I keep forgetting to do this but I think it's because I'm not sure why it needs to be done that way, could some one please explain what it does and why it needs to be done that way ,
    Thank you :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

I used to do the same, probably because I was nervous about not stalling. The reason you have to do it is because you have less control when you're coasting because the drive train is disconnected so the wheels are independent. One thing I'll say is that it will get easier as you get not used to driving and make progress, I found with steeper deceleration it was easier as there was less time for it to cut out whereas if I rolled up to a junction slowly I'd have to go down through the gears etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

The power goes to the front wheels, so if you need to turn quickly you turn the steering wheel and the wheels pull you in the direction you steer.
    If you clutch too early, and need to turn in an emergency, there is no power to the wheels, altoughh they will guide the car a bit, they have no power to pull it in the right direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Nino Brown wrote: »
    The power goes to the front wheels, so if you need to turn quickly you turn the steering wheel and the wheels pull you in the direction you steer.
    If you clutch too early, and need to turn in an emergency, there is no power to the wheels, altoughh they will guide the car a bit, they have no power to pull it in the right direction.

Not only that but if you go into a roundabout with the clutch pedal in the car will be all over the shop especially at higher speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

When you push your clutch in you're effectively putting the car in neutral as you're disconnecting the clutch plates so the engine is not controlling what the wheels are doing.

You only press the clutch when you want change gears or are about to stop (nearly stopped)

Brakes to slow, gears to go

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Rhia91

Thank you so much guys, you have really helped a lot, next two lessons tomorrow :-) Thank you!:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement