Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting family member to bring gear back From USA

• 31-05-2014 9:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭

I have a family member coming home for Christmas.

I'm considering buying a Camera from B&H online, having it delivered to my sons address in New York and then him take it to Ireland for Christmas.

I fancy avoiding paying tax if possible so wondering would I need to get my son to open the camera in New York and disregard the packaging before he flies with it to Ireland? :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

IrishHomer wrote: »
    I fancy avoiding paying tax if possible

I think 'evade' is the word you're looking for there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

I think 'evade' is the word you're looking for there.

Lots of folk evade/avoid this way, thanks for your input.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭Alltherage

If B&H is based in New York and you're ordering to an address in New York wont you still pay the state tax?

Alltherage wrote: »
    If B&H is based in New York and you're ordering to an address in New York wont you still pay the state tax?

I obviously will, I was referring to avoiding paying Irish import tax like my son using the camera prior to taking it over here from USA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭mikka631

So you buy a nice camera as a present for your son, lucky guy:)
    He comes home for Christmas and brings his new camera to take photo's of the family to show his friends back in USA, nothing wrong with that:)
    In his rush back to the airport he leaves the camera on the bedside locker:rolleyes:
    No point in letting the batteries just waste away doing nothing so you make sure it doesn't seize up by taking the odd snap or two until he comes home again:rolleyes: by which time he will have moved on to the latest model:)
    Here's hoping he doesn't leave that one behind as well:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I obviously will, I was referring to avoiding paying Irish import tax like my son using the camera prior to taking it over here from USA
    What is the difference between the irish and usa price for the camera you wish to purchase?

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    What is the difference between the irish and usa price for the camera you wish to purchase?

€700

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

I've brought back a lot of equipment from the US over the years. Never been checked or searched upon arrival in either Shannon or Dublin. That said, I always took everything out of boxes and removed labels/tags for peace of mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭almorris

Yeah, defo remove all the packaging. Iv'e a friend who does this quite a bit. It really does need to look as a personal bit of kit. I think I heard a whisper that you might need to declare in the U.S. it is not new and he might need to show he still has it on his return to the States. Don't quote me on that. If it ships to California there's no state tax to pay. Maybe an option to save a bit extra?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭jackjustjumped

mikka631 wrote: »
    So you buy a nice camera as a present for your son, lucky guy:)
    He comes home for Christmas and brings his new camera to take photo's of the family to show his friends back in USA, nothing wrong with that:)
    In his rush back to the airport he leaves the camera on the bedside locker:rolleyes:
    No point in letting the batteries just waste away doing nothng so you make sure it doesn't sieze up by taking the odd snap or two until he comes home again:rolleyes: by which time he will have moved on to the latest model:)
    Here's hoping he doesn't leave that one behind as well:D

Ha, excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭chopperp

€700

what is the camera model ?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Farmlife

You lose your warranty, need to get a Irish charger and if your making money from photography you can't really write off your non vat paid camera. With the cash back deals manufactures do in the long run it's not really worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,151 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Someone I know got several cameras from the USA (k-x, k-7, k5ii, Lx 7 and never had bother. Warranty only lasts so long and 99% of time people don't have trouble within warranty dates.

He has a friend bring them back without boxing and friend brings boxing with him next time time he's over.

My friend says hhe considers buying locally/in Ireland but with the price different can't justify it.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭IHPhoto

Shouldn't be a problem. Could leave the box behind just to be on the safe side, and also the receipt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

Just to add on here to previous comments.

The lower end Canon models (obviously not the ones you are referring to with a €700 difference) have different names for the US, EU and Asia so when customs see a new camera coming out of their country with the region specific name they will assume it's being exported unless proven otherwise....according to a customer of mine's story anyway.
    He may have just been unlucky but the customs agent knew what to look for and caught him out on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Just to add on here to previous comments.

The lower end Canon models (obviously not the ones you are referring to with a €700 difference) have different names for the US, EU and Asia so when customs see a new camera coming out of their country with the region specific name they will assume it's being exported unless proven otherwise....according to a customer of mine's story anyway.
    He may have just been unlucky but the customs agent knew what to look for and caught him out on it.

That's where a small bit of black tape does wonders :D

Advertisement