Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English poetry help

• 31-05-2014 9:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Haven't really started studying poetry at all. I tried to study Dickonson yesterday but i basically just ended up learning quotes! Any ideas on how I should be studying is??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Hermia

You should revise 5 poets so you're sure one of them will come up as you have a choice of 4 on the paper.
    -Make a grid for each poet; the 6 poems you've studied vertically and all important info horizontally eg theme, tone, mood, techniques etc
    -learn important phrases and images, don't try to learn big quotes
    -look over past questions and plan them using this info; they're usually very similar eg Mahon and people, Plath and intense imagery etc. Underline the important words in each question as you do each poet and make a list, list in bullet points important ideas
    -remember you need to think about personal engagement so think about what you like/don't like about each poem/important image
    If you get your notes succinct today, you can just keep reading over them between now and Wednesday :)
    Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Dee15

Hermia wrote: »
    You should revise 5 poets so you're sure one of them will come up as you have a choice of 4 on the paper.
    -Make a grid for each poet; the 6 poems you've studied vertically and all important info horizontally eg theme, tone, mood, techniques etc
    -learn important phrases and images, don't try to learn big quotes
    -look over past questions and plan them using this info; they're usually very similar eg Mahon and people, Plath and intense imagery etc. Underline the important words in each question as you do each poet and make a list, list in bullet points important ideas
    -remember you need to think about personal engagement so think about what you like/don't like about each poem/important image
    If you get your notes succinct today, you can just keep reading over them between now and Wednesday :)
    Best of luck!

Thank you so much!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

Dee15 wrote: »
    Haven't really started studying poetry at all. I tried to study Dickonson yesterday but i basically just ended up learning quotes! Any ideas on how I should be studying is??

Learning quotes is okay if you know what the poems are about, that's all I do :p

Advertisement