Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlords old furniture, where to put???

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Rua88

WhiteTiger wrote: »
    I think you have misunderstood me. I'm coming from a practicality point of view. There is a double bed in a box room that you cannot even open the wardrobe (built in) or walk on the floor, you have to throw yourself onto the bed. Where am I to put my toddlers bed or how do i use the wardrobe? The kitchen table is big enough for 2 people & there are 4 of us. Front room has a small 2 seater & 2 small arm chairs. Other 2 beds are very old. I'm not trying to cause problems for the landlord just seeing if I can make things more practical for us. I would rent unfurnished but there were none available

I had a similar issue to this only the landlord left broken furniture that was also ancient in a property I used rent. I rang her and told her I was coming with my own stuff and was up front that I would be in the house for a long time, until I bought myself and wanted to make it my home. She refused to store it but she let me get rid of the stuff that was broken and then I took he rest apart and put it in the attic. I had a couch etc and went onto done deal picked up a galvanise shed for 250 and shoved them into it. When leaving I pulled them out and reassembled what was there and packed up my shed which I later resold on done deal. I did leave behind curtains that cost a fortune on one of the windows not thinking. Asked her about getting them back and she never got back to me. Small price to pay for having my own stuff around though. Got it all in ikea at a great price too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

In short you have to agree something with the LL. The time to do this is before you agree to rent the place.

You can't store furniture and furnishings outside in a shed. They'll get destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Annoying situation, op.
    As per what you posted, storing the items is out of the question. So you have no choice but to remove them if you want to replace them.

But if I was in your shoes, I would not be happy on the idea of agreeing to remove them and leaving the replaced furniture there. Couple of beds, sofas and matresses will cost you well over a grand brand new (well, actually in the 2 grand range here)

Like if you stayed there for the next 5 years... sure that would be fine. But you know yourself. The landlord might increase the rent in a year and your rent allowance just might not cover that.

MadDog76's advice is probably the best. Agree with the landlord that you come in and take out said items and at the end of your tenancy they will be replaced. And you just replace with any old guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

You'd need to agree the cost of the furniture.

Advertisement