Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Repair options, iPad mini?

• 31-05-2014 10:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

My sister's iPad mini screen broke this morning. She said she didn't drop it and it was in it's case when it happened. The glass itself hasn't got a crack/scratch on it and there isn't a single mark on the iPad at all as it's always in a case. it seems to be the lcd behind the glass that's damaged.

It was bought in America last July so will it be covered under warranty here and will it work out cheaper going through Apple to get it fixed if it's not covered by warranty here?

Thanks. Here's a picture of the damage.

OmU4lkx.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

If you could spare a few hours a trip to the shop in Belfast might be a good idea. Is it the retina one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Check your warranty here. Might not be of any use since you bought in the US, worth a shot though.

https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

It's not the retina one, just a regular one. Checked the serial number with Apple there and it is eligible for repair according to the the Apple site. What do you think the chances of a free repair are seeing as there is no visible damage to the iPad/screen? Worth a shot I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I suspect they'd replace it on the spot.

Would I need to make an appointment or if I just went up with it would the see me? Belfast is only 40mins from me so could get up later on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Zcott wrote: »
    If you could spare a few hours a trip to the shop in Belfast might be a good idea. Is it the retina one?

Nope it was bought in July.

OP - best to make a genius appointment over the phone or on the website to make sure you are seen.

Got an appointment for Monday evening. Hopefully they replace it on the spot. Thanks for the help, guys.

Right, so Apple don't want anything to do with it as it was bought in America even though when I checked the serial number on their site it said it was covered under their 1yr warranty. Anyone know roughly how much a screen replacement is for an iPad mini no retina? It's not actually the glass but the lcd behind it that's broke.

Would I be able to tackle it myself? I've replaced a few iPhone screens in the past no problem.

Why don't you try ringing customer care and don't mention America just see what they say first before you go fixing it yourself.

Is it a cellular model?

Aodhagan wrote: »
    Why don't you try ringing customer care and don't mention America just see what they say first before you go fixing it yourself.

Is it a cellular model?

Would they not know when they run the serial number where it was purchased?

Nope, wifi only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Is it a cellular model?

Because they can see where it originated from

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Is there not a web form you can fill pout to arrange a courier from Apple?

L'prof wrote: »
    Is there not a web form you can fill pout to arrange a courier from Apple?

Same issue, as soon as it is brought in to the service centre they'll see it's a US model and will send it back.

kensutz wrote: »
    Same issue, as soon as it is brought in to the service centre they'll see it's a US model and will send it back.

But isn't the wifi only model the same model number internationally?

But isn't the wifi only model the same model number internationally?

If it's rejected in store it will be rejected in the service centre.

kensutz wrote: »
    If it's rejected in store it will be rejected in the service centre.

That's not what I asked but ok.

Ended up buying a replacement lcd today and I had it fitted in under and hour. Good as new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭whippet

where it is bought has no impact on Apple's warranty ... i'd say they rejected a repair under warranty as it was physical damage to the display. while there might not be any bumps, scratches or exterior damage / markings to suggest a bang .. it does not take too much pressure to inflict that sort of display damage.

whippet wrote: »
    where it is bought has no impact on Apple's warranty ... i'd say they rejected a repair under warranty as it was physical damage to the display. while there might not be any bumps, scratches or exterior damage / markings to suggest a bang .. it does not take too much pressure to inflict that sort of display damage.

Ah, the old 'touch screen that you can't touch with any form of pressure' ploy! It's fixed now anyway and only cost €55 for the lcd and tools so not the end of the world. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭whippet

i'm on my third iPad at this stage and never damaged a screen .. I use it for probably about 8 hours a day.

Where did you buy the screen from? Just so you know that you can only get genuine apple parts from apple and they don't allow people to re-sell them.

• Advertisement

I didn't buy a new screen, just a new LCD. Got it from a local laptop/tablet/phone fixer-upper store. I'm aware it's not genuine Apple but I got a 6 month warranty with it and as the iPad is out of Apple's 12-month warranty next month it doesn't really make a difference. It fit in 100% and the iPad looks as good as the day it was bought.

Advertisement